Dinner

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Dinner

Post by Sabo »

I need some suggestions for what to make for dinner tonight. We've been stuck in a rut of roasted meats and salad, with the occasional pasta entree. We had that last night, and I don't want to have baked chicken again.

So Swamp, tell me what I need to make for dinner tonight. Bonus points issued for originality and tastiness.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Dinner

Post by Rush2112 »

Broiled tuna with roasted sesame seeds and udon noodles tossed in sesame oil. (Also currently being eaten as lunch.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cide ... rs-compote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cara ... with-bacon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/past ... lamb-sauce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bake ... san-crumbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mi ... recipes%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

That broiled fish sounds like a winner. Thanks!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Sabo wrote:That broiled fish sounds like a winner. Thanks!
Did you not see the caramelized onion risotto with bacon? Holy crap!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bfj wrote:
Sabo wrote:That broiled fish sounds like a winner. Thanks!
Did you not see the caramelized onion risotto with bacon? Holy crap!
I did, but I need to make something that's quick and easy. Risotto definitely doesn't qualify for that.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

This was delicious. I substituted the flounder with cod and the bread crumbs with almond flour. Side dish was herb roasted potato wedges. This recipe is going into the rotation.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like lazy risotto is still atleast 75% as good as laborious risotto. And that risotto in general is overrated. And I'm making it tonight.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote:
This was delicious. I substituted the flounder with cod and the bread crumbs with almond flour. Side dish was herb roasted potato wedges. This recipe is going into the rotation.
We use this as a base recipe with all kinds of variety.

I have had a food and wine and cooking light subscription for years. My dad just kept renewing whenever they asked. I think my subscription will end in 2020 at this point. So each month I just go and rip out anything that sounds interesting. I now have several binders worth of stuff. I have passed the binders around to friends and these were just a few that one of my friend pulled out and put on her cooking blog as things she wants to try.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:
If there are no pictures on Instagram, it didn't happen.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote:
Sabo wrote:
If there are no pictures on Instagram, it didn't happen.
My colleague is one of those guys who takes pictures of EVERYTHING he eats. When we go to dinner together, he always takes pictures of my meals, too. At first, I wanted to slap the shit out of him but now I'm used to it. He's so bad about it that he'll ask his girlfriend to turn on the flashlight on her cell phone so he'll have better lighting. Despite these flaws, he's a good guy.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: My colleague is one of those guys who takes pictures of EVERYTHING he eats. When we go to dinner together, he always takes pictures of my meals, too. At first, I wanted to slap the shit out of him but now I'm used to it. He's so bad about it that he'll ask his girlfriend to turn on the flashlight on her cell phone so he'll have better lighting. Despite these flaws, he's a good guy.

Does he have ironic 1880s facial hair, too?
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Green chile, cheddar, and bacon stuffed elk burgers. Yum.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Well, leftovers from dinner anyway...

Scrambled eggs with chopped up burnt ends and topped with salsa is one hell of a way to start the day.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote:Well, leftovers from dinner anyway...

Scrambled eggs with chopped up burnt ends and topped with salsa is one hell of a way to start the day.
You're making me hungry.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm a bit burned out on recipes from epicurious, so I'm trying something from a website I heard about on a podcast...budgetbytes. I'm doing lemony cucumber couscous salad and greek chicken on the grill.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

[/quote]My colleague is one of those guys who takes pictures of EVERYTHING he eats. When we go to dinner together, he always takes pictures of my meals, too. At first, I wanted to slap the shit out of him but now I'm used to it. He's so bad about it that he'll ask his girlfriend to turn on the flashlight on her cell phone so he'll have better lighting. Despite these flaws, he's a good guy.[/quote]

Based on the part above that, I have to question this.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I stand behind my statement.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: greek chicken on the grill.
We do this one a lot. My wife has a great marinade. We put chunks of chicken breast in a greek marinade (olive oil, lemon juice, white wine, garlic, basil, greek oregano, marjoram, salt and pepper) and let it sit for a day. Put the chicken on skewers with pieces of bell pepper and onion. Grill. Yum.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hosting non-grillable events is tough, huh? Trying out a french onion dip, then short ribs with a bullshitted braising liquid / sauce* that turned out really stellar, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels and creamed corn, homemade french bread then brownies then cookies later on for Santa**. And muffins for the morning.

* Vegetable stock, coffee, pureed fire-roasted tomatoes, onions, brown sugar

** I know, J-Lo
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

How many peoples?

Our turn to host tonight. Should be 19, including kids (mine are the two youngest). Throwing out the Seven Fishes again (did it three years ago when we last hosted). About 1/3 apps other people are bringing, 1/3 dips spreads I'm making, and 1/3 out of the box (frozen, I felt like I did too much work last time). For #7 I'm putting together bacon wrapped scallops. Making sauce, meatballs and pasta, too.

mister d wrote:...cookies later on for Santa**...

** I know, J-Lo
He's the most understood man in the Swamp. Jerloma that is, not Santa.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Hosting non-grillable events is tough, huh? Trying out a french onion dip, then short ribs with a bullshitted braising liquid / sauce* that turned out really stellar, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels and creamed corn, homemade french bread then brownies then cookies later on for Santa**. And muffins for the morning.

* Vegetable stock, coffee, pureed fire-roasted tomatoes, onions, brown sugar

** I know, J-Lo
Damn, that sounds good. Got an extra seat at the table? I need to start making time to cook. The kids are developing a taste for finer foods, and my son likes cooking. I did make a Korean rib recipe that involved cooking the ribs in boiling water in a frying pan. Sounded kind of gross, smelled bad, but damn were they good. extremely tender, then flash fried in a wok, then cooked in an Asian BBQ sauce.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Girlfriend and I just spent 3 days up in Vancouver, and we had one of the most amazing meals ever. Place is called Vij's (http://www.vijsrestaurant.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Absolutely incredible Indian food. Blew my mind. Long wait (about 2 hours) but worth it. We walked around the neighborhood for an hour, then stood at the bar having drinks for an hour. They had this cocktail called a "Dark Army"...basically their take on a dark and stormy....that was fantastic. And then the food!!!!! My favorite was a lamb Popsicle, in a fenugreek cream curry sauce. I would have drank that sauce in a shot glass if that was an option. So damn good.

At the end of the meal, the maitre'd came over to chat and I said "You guys should do a cookbook!", and he said "We already have one!", and of course, I ended up buying it. Can't wait to dig in and start cooking stuff out of it.

Anyways, if you're ever in Vancouver, its a must....
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

DaveInSeattle wrote:The Girlfriend and I just spent 3 days up in Vancouver, and we had one of the most amazing meals ever. Place is called Vij's (http://www.vijsrestaurant.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Absolutely incredible Indian food. Blew my mind. Long wait (about 2 hours) but worth it. We walked around the neighborhood for an hour, then stood at the bar having drinks for an hour. They had this cocktail called a "Dark Army"...basically their take on a dark and stormy....that was fantastic. And then the food!!!!! My favorite was a lamb Popsicle, in a fenugreek cream curry sauce. I would have drank that sauce in a shot glass if that was an option. So damn good.

At the end of the meal, the maitre'd came over to chat and I said "You guys should do a cookbook!", and he said "We already have one!", and of course, I ended up buying it. Can't wait to dig in and start cooking stuff out of it.

To add to that, if you ever go to Vij's and don't want to wait two hours, then just walk into the restaurant right next door (same building and everything). It is also owned by Vij, and it is like a scaled back version of Vij's (but without the wait). The only thing that throws me off is the bright blue contacts that Vij insists on wearing all the time. Unsettling.
Popin' ain't easy
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Searing a couple of tremendous looking Ahi Tuna steaks.

Side of bok choy and fried rice and copious quantities of alcohol filled beverages...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm cashing in my comps for steaks at a downtown steakhouse (a NYE tradition).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnny Hotcakes wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:The Girlfriend and I just spent 3 days up in Vancouver, and we had one of the most amazing meals ever. Place is called Vij's (http://www.vijsrestaurant.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Absolutely incredible Indian food. Blew my mind. Long wait (about 2 hours) but worth it. We walked around the neighborhood for an hour, then stood at the bar having drinks for an hour. They had this cocktail called a "Dark Army"...basically their take on a dark and stormy....that was fantastic. And then the food!!!!! My favorite was a lamb Popsicle, in a fenugreek cream curry sauce. I would have drank that sauce in a shot glass if that was an option. So damn good.

To add to that, if you ever go to Vij's and don't want to wait two hours, then just walk into the restaurant right next door (same building and everything). It is also owned by Vij, and it is like a scaled back version of Vij's (but without the wait). The only thing that throws me off is the bright blue contacts that Vij insists on wearing all the time. Unsettling.
They also have a sister restaurant here in Seattle (we had no idea)....we'll be sure to be checking it out soon...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

You guys are all listing wonderful dinners, while I am eating "St. Louis-style" pizza. Which translates to "bad cheese and limp crust". Sheesh.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saint Louis style pizza isn't even a style of pizza. You'd be better off eating a piece of cardboard with Velvetta on it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dinner for breakfast, made english muffin bread (not as good as english muffins), bacon* and eggs** and an Edmund because porters/stouts are so great with breakfast. Am I the only one who almost always badly times atleast one of the three?

* Baked. Neater, just as good.

** Ruhlman double boiler method. Didn't find it revolutionary like some but its certainly easier cleanup on a glass bowl than a non-super-fatted-up skillet.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Isn't that breakfast for dinner? Also, Ive been using the Ruhlman spoon to make some sweet poached eggs. That man knows his shit.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

New Jersey is 12 hours ahead of Florida.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Corned beef and cabbage. Beer bread. Excellent.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Someone needs to explain to me why (1) "bone broth" is a trend and (2) why it's not being called stock.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:Someone needs to explain to me why (1) "bone broth" is a trend and (2) why it's not being called stock.
Just guessing, but does it have something to do with the paleo diet fad?

And a disturbing and grotesque dining trend seems to be bone marrow. Maybe by calling "stock" "bone broth" you can make a few more bucks?

"Bone broth" is also a great euphemism for baby batter.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote:Just guessing, but does it have something to do with the paleo diet fad?
Maybe, but I always thought stock = bones, broth = meat.
Pruitt wrote:And a disturbing and grotesque dining trend seems to be bone marrow. Maybe by calling "stock" "bone broth" you can make a few more bucks?
But its goooooood.
Pruitt wrote:"Bone broth" is also a great euphemism for baby batter.
Gonna go barf. C-ya.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Anyone got any good (non-chili) crock-pot recipes? Quick and easy is always a plus.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote:Anyone got any good (non-chili) crock-pot recipes? Quick and easy is always a plus.
Pork shoulder is my favorite. Leftovers for a week. goes great on sandwiches, on it's own, in tortillas...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

BSF21 wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:Anyone got any good (non-chili) crock-pot recipes? Quick and easy is always a plus.
Pork shoulder is my favorite. Leftovers for a week. goes great on sandwiches, on it's own, in tortillas...
Prep?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Prep?
The way I do it, the prep is more or less nonexistent. Buy a 4 lb pork shoulder, plan on cooking it on low for 12 hours. Put it in the crockpot and then pour a can of Coke over it and then let it cook for 12 hours. (You can get a little fancier here and add some spices and stuff, but it's not necessarily required. I usually spice what I'm making with it later -- like tacos or BBQ pulled pork, etc.

After 12 hours, pull it out and shred it and use it for whatever you want to make with it. Like BSF said, pretty much anything. I generally will make that when I'm having ppl over for a game or something. I put the pulled pork back in the crockpot with my BBQ sauce recipe for another 4 hours. (Recipe is basically Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, but I cut it with apple cider vinegar, some mustard and a few other basic spices like black pepper and some cayenne pepper).