Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Dinner

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:Anyone got any good (non-chili) crock-pot recipes? Quick and easy is always a plus.
Pork shoulder is my favorite. Leftovers for a week. goes great on sandwiches, on it's own, in tortillas...
Prep?
Just a quick list from a website I pulled...

1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt, or more, to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 pound pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 onions, quartered
2 oranges, juiced
2 limes, juiced

You can probably sub whatever spices you'd prefer in your pork rub on there. I cut the oranges in half, squeeze them in and then throw the spent halves in there too. I also like to dice up a few jalepenos and chuck em in there as well. Splash of beer if you like. Throw it in there for 6-8 hours on low. Some people say sear the butt first but you're gonna be tearing it apart anyway so I reckon the crust on the outside doesn't matter too much. This also says just peel the garlic, but I like garlic so I'd add a few cloves and at least smash it before it goes in.

Save the liquid. It's good flavor if it dries out after you store it. You can also shove some of the shredded stuff under the broiler for a few minutes for carnita goodness.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Here's another easy one I make a lot because most of the ingredients are stuff you usually have around the house. They're essentially cabbage rolls, but "unstuffed".

1 lb ground beef
1 onion
5 cups coleslaw mix (usually works out to about a bag of what you'd buy in the store)
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/4 cup water
2 tps paprika
1 tps salt
1/2 tps pepper
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce

Basically you just brown the ground beef and then throw all the other ingredients in there and cook on low for about 5-6 hrs until the cabbage is cooked through and tender.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sweet. That's exactly the difficulty level I'm looking for.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Only thing to be aware of with the cabbage roll one is that when you put the cabbage/cole slaw mix in there it's going to seems REALLY full (unless you have a much bigger crock pot than mine). But the cabbage cooks down over time.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pernil, son. Assuming you have the standard spices, you'd only need to get pork, onion and lime. Fresh oregano over dried if you want to be sexy about it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It is too easy to fuck up things in a crockpot. I can't stand when everything tastes oversalted because all the water has been heated out of the pot.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

govmentchedda wrote:It is too easy to fuck up things in a crockpot. I can't stand when everything tastes oversalted because all the water has been heated out of the pot.
Don't you keep the lid on?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you're saying crock pots are butt and dutch ovens are the best, Chedda, I'm totally with you.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:If you're saying crock pots are butt and dutch ovens are the best, Chedda, I'm totally with you.
Gay dogs aren't as big an anchor as kids, so I bet PDX gets to leave the house sometimes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:It is too easy to fuck up things in a crockpot. I can't stand when everything tastes oversalted because all the water has been heated out of the pot.
Don't you keep the lid on?
Yes, but that oversalty taste turns me off.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Basically. Just want to throw things into the pot and have a meal when I get home 9 hours later.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:If you're saying crock pots are butt and dutch ovens are the best, Chedda, I'm totally with you.
You're damn right I am.

Not that I take the time to use ours all that often.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:
Gay dogs aren't as big an anchor as kids, so I bet PDX gets to leave the house sometimes.
Does your oven sense when you leave the house and shut off? Because mine sure the fuck doesn't, bro!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You can't drink (otherwise alone?) in front of your kid, I can't leave my oven on in an empty house.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jersey is the worst.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ropa Vieja tacos w/ avocado and plantains.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Jersey is the worst.
I know, right...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Any of you dicks have an A+ meatball recipe?

(If its not a full recipe or a link, don't waste ya boy D's time. There isn't much variance between recipes so if you're going to say "use ricotta" or "some breadcrumbs", I can just make it up myself.)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:Any of you dicks have an A+ meatball recipe?

(If its not a full recipe or a link, don't waste ya boy D's time. There isn't much variance between recipes so if you're going to say "use ricotta" or "some breadcrumbs", I can just make it up myself.)
I've made these several times, and they've always turned out delicious.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... ecipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mrs. Sabo doesn't like lamb, so I usually swap it for another ground meat.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I did the pork shoulder with a can of coke over the weekend. Came out great. Ended up eating it all as tacos with avocado, cotija, and pico. Might season it up a bit more next time.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo wrote:I've made these several times, and they've always turned out delicious.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... ecipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mrs. Sabo doesn't like lamb, so I usually swap it for another ground meat.
I've done those before and they're good, but not what I'm looking for. Meatballs are so damn subjective.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

if i eat one more chunk of kielbasa tonight, i think i qualify for a polish passport.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you've planned on making shrimp and grits but then you get home and realize the only thing you're missing is shrimp, scallops work as a fine substitute. But scallion oil shouldn't be strained; that was a mistake.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife is gone to her father's for a week, so I'm in charge of keeping the kiddo alive and food on the table. First night's dinner - leftovers! Second night - nachos! Tonight - grilled hamburgers! Pretty soon I'm going to run out of ideas, so I'm open to suggestion.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:My wife is gone to her father's for a week, so I'm in charge of keeping the kiddo alive and food on the table. First night's dinner - leftovers! Second night - nachos! Tonight - grilled hamburgers! Pretty soon I'm going to run out of ideas, so I'm open to suggestion.
I don't know how old the kid is, but make-your-own pizza was always a big hit in my house when we were youngsters.

vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Breakfast for dinner. One of my favorites. Waffles, pancakes, cereal, whatever. May depend on how old your kids are. Mine are 8 and 3 and get excited when I say we're having breakfast for dinner.

I was going to say pizza too, but I'd order it instead of making it myself.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:My wife is gone to her father's for a week, so I'm in charge of keeping the kiddo alive and food on the table. First night's dinner - leftovers! Second night - nachos! Tonight - grilled hamburgers! Pretty soon I'm going to run out of ideas, so I'm open to suggestion.
I don't know how old the kid is, but make-your-own pizza was always a big hit in my house when we were youngsters.
Yeah, that's a good idea!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Having picky eater kids, these are always in the rotation:
-Tacos
-Pizza (get the dough from Trader Joes and make your own)
-Pasta (either with red sauce and meatballs or pesto and some grilled chicken)
-Grilled salmon
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
-Tacos
-Grilled salmon
Good stuff!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

+1 on the make-your-own pizzas and breakfast for dinner. Can't miss with those for kids.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
-Tacos
-Grilled salmon
A great stand by is also meatball sandwiches. Some store have reasonably healthy frozen meatballs for extra convenience.

I could get veggies into my kids by serving carrot, cucumber and celery slices with a dressing as a dipping sauce.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I love homemade pizza. And the women in my house (read: everyone else) all hate them.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Tried doing it on the grill? Next level.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Tried doing it on the grill? Next level.
I have. Also made calzones on the grill once when I was home alone. Really liked that.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:Tried doing it on the grill? Next level.
We do pizza on the grill when its warm out for heating up the oven. Our pizza stone fits perfectly, and the crust gets nice and crispy...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
-Tacos
-Grilled salmon
Just be careful, tacos are ammo for custody disputes.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:
-Tacos
-Grilled salmon
Just be careful, tacos are ammo for custody disputes.
Fair point...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is where I'm eating tonight. I've never been less excited about food in my life.

http://providencegrange.com/dinner/
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote:This is where I'm eating tonight. I've never been less excited about food in my life.

http://providencegrange.com/dinner/
Quinoa looks mighty good. Don't knock Seitan too quick, marinades and aiolis bring a lot of party there.