Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by mister d »

Bocuse D’ead.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Well done.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I don't have many heroes, and one of the last of them died today.

Mark E Smith of The Fall

Bitter, brilliant boozer. 60 years old, looked 100. Such a tough old bastard that he performed the band's last tour in a wheelchair.

The Fall was Smith's band (dozens of band changes over the 40+ years and 40+ albums,) and in my opinion, NO ONE from that era released more good and great music than The Fall. (Of course, with a discography that large, very few released more bad music either.)

Fuck, kind of hitting me harder than I'd have expected. Chose this great tune, but I could have posted dozens of songs of The Fall that I love.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I always get The Call and The Fall mixed up.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ursula K. Leguin.

Who apparently was high school classmates with Philip K. Dick.

At Berkeley K. High School.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:35 pm I always get The Call and The Fall mixed up.
No.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:03 pm I don't have many heroes, and one of the last of them died today.

Mark E Smith of The Fall

Bitter, brilliant boozer. 60 years old, looked 100. Such a tough old bastard that he performed the band's last tour in a wheelchair.
Heard a great story about him yesterday on KEXP. Supposedly whenever he would see Morrissey somewhere, he would always call him by his given name "Steven". Just to get under his skin.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Warren Miller
Warren Miller, the pioneering snow-sports filmmaker whose infectious zeal for the 'pure freedom' inspired generations around the globe, has died at his longtime home on Orcas Island at the age of 93.
Warren Miller ski movies were always a huge thing when I was growing up. And the premiere of his new movie every fall was always the unofficial start of the ski season here in Seattle.

He also brought exposure to a lot of 'extreme' skiers like Shane McConkey, Glen Plake, and Scot Schimidt (Sidebar: when I was in college, I skied with a guy at Alta who always said his dream was to be in a Warren Miller movie. He finally made it....after he'd move to Hood River and became a windsurfer).

He also was well known for having the goofy 'newbies on the bunny hill' segment in every movie, and for doing all of the narration.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We were the same way about Warren Miller movies in my Colorado hometown. Some club would show whatever was his newest movie in November, and everybody would get revved up about ski season starting.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 am
Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:03 pm I don't have many heroes, and one of the last of them died today.

Mark E Smith of The Fall

Heard a great story about him yesterday on KEXP. Supposedly whenever he would see Morrissey somewhere, he would always call him by his given name "Steven". Just to get under his skin.
Big City fan too (going back to their pre-oil money days)

Here he is reading soccer scores. Oddly compelling... (he really gets going after 4:30 or so)

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 am Warren Miller
Warren Miller, the pioneering snow-sports filmmaker whose infectious zeal for the 'pure freedom' inspired generations around the globe, has died at his longtime home on Orcas Island at the age of 93.
Warren Miller ski movies were always a huge thing when I was growing up. And the premiere of his new movie every fall was always the unofficial start of the ski season here in Seattle.

He also brought exposure to a lot of 'extreme' skiers like Shane McConkey, Glen Plake, and Scot Schimidt (Sidebar: when I was in college, I skied with a guy at Alta who always said his dream was to be in a Warren Miller movie. He finally made it....after he'd move to Hood River and became a windsurfer).

He also was well known for having the goofy 'newbies on the bunny hill' segment in every movie, and for doing all of the narration.

His movies helped this MI flatlander learn to love the sport and pass it on to his kids. Loved his movie, man.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't think I ever watched a whole Warren Miller movie, but just the clips and trailers have always been enough to get my heart rate up. Man, I should have moved to a ski town after college and never left...
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Never watched one of his movies but met him when I lived in Seattle. They were doing an event for one of his movies at the Kavu Offices (Kavu's founder played on my club lacrosse team out there).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Mort Walker...Beetle Bailey cartoonist at age 94.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Do you think they will figure out how to construct the coffin out of cheap press board?

Ingvar Kamprad, Ikea’s Swedish Billionaire Founder, Dies at 91 https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-has-died
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:09 am Do you think they will figure out how to construct the coffin out of cheap press board?

Ingvar Kamprad, Ikea’s Swedish Billionaire Founder, Dies at 91 https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-has-died
Hope he realized that you can't take it with you.

But for $20 you can have it delivered to your home.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Father of Medical Marijuana"

Not gonna lie, I had never heard of him, but sounds like his life story is begging to be made into a movie.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:25 am "Father of Medical Marijuana"

Not gonna lie, I had never heard of him, but sounds like his life story is begging to be made into a movie.
No kidding - leaving marijuana aside, you could show the whole history of Gay America through the prism of his life.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am

No kidding - leaving marijuana aside, you could show the whole history of Gay America through the prism of his life.
Right? Plus, the transition of San Francisco from hippie mecca to yuppie hell.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:32 am

Well, in SF, I think an out-of-towner notices the homeless, the hipsters, and the cacophony of foreign tongues, more than they notice the young urban professionals.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oscar Gamble aka the guy from the baseball card with the massive hair.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Somebody check on Super 70s Sports and make sure he's doing ok.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am Oscar Gamble aka the guy from the baseball card with the massive hair.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am

Well, in SF, I think an out-of-towner notices the homeless, the hipsters, and the cacophony of foreign tongues, more than they notice the young urban professionals.
I think there's an interesting subplot to be made (and it wouldn't have to be in a movie set in Haight-Ashbury necessarily) following a character who lives in a place like that (or Williamsburg/Brooklyn or south Harlem or Highland Park or Los Felix in LA) that follows a character through a half-century and also tells the story of the neighborhood gentrifying around them.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am Oscar Gamble aka the guy from the baseball card with the massive hair.
Shit. As someone once wrote, Fuck the 'too obsure' thread. This one hits pretty hard.

Damn.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 pm
The poster boy for George Steinbrenner's idiotic "clean cut/clean shaven" policy.
Oscar Gamble wrote:They don’t think it be like it is, but it do.
RIP
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Out-of-towners aren't that interested in the changes to SF forced by the real estate market.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:16 am

Out-of-towners aren't that interested in the changes to SF forced by the real estate market.
I've been reading local news stories for 30 years here bemoaning how gentrification and the rising cost of housing are killing the lower income San Francisco residents. I'm sympathetic to that, but it's not a new story. That transition has been ongoing for ages. The only thing that changes are the identified villains (and the fact that it is now an Oakland story, too). It was the yuppies that were vilified back in the 80s/90s. Then the nouveau riche of the tech bubble of the late 90s. Then, the Chinese buyers. Now, the villains of choice are the new generation of techies. There are recent reports of people shooting guns at the big buses that transport tech workers from their San Francisco homes to their offices in Silicon Valley.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

John Mahoney aka Frasier's dad

He was actually originally from England, moved to the US at 19 and adopted an American accent.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 am John Mahoney aka Frasier's dad

He was actually originally from England, moved to the US at 19 and adopted an American accent.
This could go in "Things you learn" and "Blackpool" as well. Mahoney was born in Blackpool.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Always enjoyed his performance in Say Anything. Would have been easy for a lesser director and actor to turn his character into a villain or at least a caricature, but it was a fully realized performance.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He's great in She's the One as well.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd forgotten the amazing starting 5 in that movie.

Cameron Diaz
Jennifer Aniston
Maxine Bahns
Leslie Mann
Amanda Peet
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

John Perry Barlow.

"Secondary" lyricist for the Grateful Dead (Robert Hunter and Jerry Garcia wrote the bulk of the tunes. Barlow and Bob Weir wrote most of the other originals.)

Also a staunch supporter of Internet rights, fighting censorship, and freedom of information.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fascinating guy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Vic Damone

Your grandmother might remember him as a top crooner from the 1950s. Among the women he married were actresses Pier Angeli and Diahann Carroll. Regarding the latter, I guess it was kind of ballsy for a celebrity of his generation to have an interracial marriage.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Learn something new. He was first offered the Johnny Fontaine role, but turned it down.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

He could act LIKE A MAN!!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 pm Vic Damone

Your grandmother might remember him as a top crooner from the 1950s. Among the women he married were actresses Pier Angeli and Diahann Carroll. Regarding the latter, I guess it was kind of ballsy for a celebrity of his generation to have an interracial marriage.
My Mom liked him.

4th tier Sinatra?