Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6666
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Giff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:14 am

This is probably the one opinion my wife and I have that isn't shared with anyone else - we actually tolerated Caillou. It got us through a 15-hour road trip with a two-year-old, the holiday special is fantastic (fight me), and my kids absolutely loved it (I guess we're the only ones who live in a house where we can go to other rooms instead of having to watch whatever the kids watch).
Muh.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5924
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by DSafetyGuy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:25 am

We also tolerated Calliou with our daughter, but we mostly succeeded in keeping him away from our son. I think there were changes with Sprout, either in their programming or schedule (we had moved three time zones, which probably also contributed), then eventually DirecTV switched out the channel. Of course, we had two kids sharing the TV at the later point, as well.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12374
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by sancarlos » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:38 pm

Jeez, what a bunch of cynical, snarky twats. It was a sweet, inoffensive kids show.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20865
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by mister d » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:42 pm

Easy to say when home televisions didn't become common until one's kids were already out of the house.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by brian » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Neil Sheehan, who exposed The Pentagon Papers and was one of the great journalists of the 20th century (like seriously up there with Upton Sinclair and Ida Tarbell).

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16809
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Pruitt » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:25 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:38 pm
Jeez, what a bunch of cynical, snarky twats. It was a sweet, inoffensive kids show.
15 years ago, my former writing partner (who had written a few episodes of Caillou) and I were called in to pitch ideas on a Caillou movie. We worked like dogs and prepared an outline. We didn't get the job even though they led us on and we made revisions. (a Writers' Guild no-no).

Fuck Caillou. May he rot in hell forever. He may be sweet and inoffensive, but he was a front man for a whole crew of exploitative assholes.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
Johnny Carwash
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4993
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am
Location: Land of 10,000 Sununus

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Johnny Carwash » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:27 pm

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14710
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by rass » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:39 am

Awwww. The driving test from the first PA is such a good scene.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by brian » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:15 pm

Michael Apted, best known as the director of the "Up" documentary series (7 Up, 14 Up, etc.), though he also directed a very, very underrated Val Kilmer movie in the late 80s (Thunderheart)

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7596
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by wlu_lax6 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:01 pm

The Pope's personal doc...complications from COVID.

Also Thunderheart holds a strange warm place in my heart. Remember going to see it with a buddy which turned into a really fun night.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4974
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Sabo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 am

ETA: Guess he deserves his own thread.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5665
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:29 am

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by brian » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 am

Siegfried Fischbacher (of Siegfried and Roy).

Sad that he's passed, but it's nice to think those two are reunited again.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16809
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Pruitt » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:22 pm

brian wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 am
Siegfried Fischbacher (of Siegfried and Roy).

Sad that he's passed, but it's nice to think those two are reunited again.
Predeceased by his brother British Fischbacher
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
Square Rob
Bunny Lebowski
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Square Rob » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:28 pm

Sylvain Sylvain, guitar player for the New York Dolls. Honestly surprised any of them were still alive.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16809
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Pruitt » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:33 pm

Square Rob wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:28 pm
Sylvain Sylvain, guitar player for the New York Dolls. Honestly surprised any of them were still alive.
David Johansen's still around.

I saw Johnny Thunders perform in a club in New York in the mid-80s. He was in bad shape.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12374
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by sancarlos » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:05 pm

I was a fan of the Dolls. A big influence on the music of the mid/late 70s punk bands. I have their first two albums and also one by Johnny Thunders' Heartbreakers (pre-dating Tom Petty's band). David Johansen is the only one left alive now of the five. The first three all died years ago.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7596
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by wlu_lax6 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:08 pm

Donald G. Tober....Sweet N Low N Splat. Went out on his own terms it seems.
https://www.businessinsider.com/former- ... Insider%29

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16809
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Pruitt » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:23 am

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:08 pm
Donald G. Tober....Sweet N Low N Splat. Went out on his own terms it seems.
https://www.businessinsider.com/former- ... Insider%29
The writer Rich Cohen's grandfather invented Sweet 'n' Low, and he wrote a fantastic family saga centred around it. Highly recommended.

NY Times Review of "Sweet and Low"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5170
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:19 am



Barney Miller was such a great show.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3053
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by EnochRoot » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:33 am

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:19 am


Barney Miller was such a great show.
The quintessential dramedy. Yemana, Wojo, Harris, Dietrich. That show would’ve been great on a streaming service.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by bfj » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:38 am

EnochRoot wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:33 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:19 am


Barney Miller was such a great show.
The quintessential dramedy. Yemana, Wojo, Harris, Dietrich. That show would’ve been great on a streaming service.
Fish
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16809
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Pruitt » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:42 am

bfj wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:38 am
EnochRoot wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:33 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:19 am


Barney Miller was such a great show.
The quintessential dramedy. Yemana, Wojo, Harris, Dietrich. That show would’ve been great on a streaming service.
Fish
Loved that show as a kid.

And it was incredible that the vast majority of the stories took place on the one set. You never saw the cops in the field.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by bfj » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:43 am

Pruitt wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:42 am
bfj wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:38 am
EnochRoot wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:33 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:19 am


Barney Miller was such a great show.
The quintessential dramedy. Yemana, Wojo, Harris, Dietrich. That show would’ve been great on a streaming service.
Fish
Loved that show as a kid.

And it was incredible that the vast majority of the stories took place on the one set. You never saw the cops in the field.
Great show. Probably in the top 5 greatest theme songs in TV history.
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16809
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Pruitt » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:46 am

I had a strange crush on Barbara Barrie who occasionally played Barney's wife.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3053
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by EnochRoot » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:28 pm

bfj wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:43 am
Pruitt wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:42 am
bfj wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:38 am
EnochRoot wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:33 am
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:19 am


Barney Miller was such a great show.
The quintessential dramedy. Yemana, Wojo, Harris, Dietrich. That show would’ve been great on a streaming service.
Fish
Loved that show as a kid.

And it was incredible that the vast majority of the stories took place on the one set. You never saw the cops in the field.
Great show. Probably in the top 5 greatest theme songs in TV history.
I actually left Fish off that list because I had an anecdote setup (that I apparently deleted) revolving around the fact he looked 95 when the show ran in the 70s and early 80s, yet ultimately passed in 2016 at the tender age of 94.

cue the sound of a toilet flushing.

Seriously though, what (if any) TV show theme songs would you rank higher? I got Rockford Files and White Shadow.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5170
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:00 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:28 pm
Seriously though, what (if any) TV show theme songs would you rank higher? I got Rockford Files and White Shadow.
Terrible show...great theme song...


User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by bfj » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:05 pm

Night Court was pretty good.
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by brian » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:06 pm

It’s all a matter of personal taste but the 70s and 80s were the pinnacle of TV theme songs. Knight Rider and Miami Vice were cool if you like techno synths, Taxi’s smooth jazz theme is iconic and even something like the cheese of Welcome Back, Kotter is better than anything today.

User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by bfj » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:10 pm

brian wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:06 pm
It’s all a matter of personal taste but the 70s and 80s were the pinnacle of TV theme songs. Knight Rider and Miami Vice were cool if you like techno synths, Taxi’s smooth jazz theme is iconic and even something like the cheese of Welcome Back, Kotter is better than anything today.
Jeffersons, All in the Family and Sanford and Son were pretty good also.
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 22344
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by brian » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 pm

And Good Times. It might be nostalgia but it doesn’t seem like too many sucked those Diff’rent Strokes, Three’s Company and Facts Of Life all did IMO

User avatar
Johnny Carwash
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4993
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am
Location: Land of 10,000 Sununus

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by Johnny Carwash » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 pm

Simon and Simon was underrated:

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

User avatar
EdRomero
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by EdRomero » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:24 pm

brian wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 pm
And Good Times. It might be nostalgia but it doesn’t seem like too many sucked those Diff’rent Strokes, Three’s Company and Facts Of Life all did IMO

User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by bfj » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:33 pm

Hanging in a chow line? I learned a new thing today.
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3053
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by EnochRoot » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:40 pm

Johnny Carwash wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 pm
Simon and Simon was underrated:

From the guy who composed S.W.A.T.’s theme song.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5924
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by DSafetyGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:25 pm

Johnny Carwash wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 pm
Simon and Simon was underrated:

Not by me. The best.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 7958
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by tennbengal » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:37 pm

I got Cheers at #1 theme song just ahead of the other greats.

User avatar
bfj
Donny
Posts: 2891
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by bfj » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:47 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:25 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:22 pm
Simon and Simon was underrated:

Not by me. The best.
I’ve never watched an episode of Simon and Simon.
Enjoy every sandwich.

Beefy Frank Jackson at your service.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3899
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by P.D.X. » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:51 pm

Me neither. It always followed Magnum PI and was my bedtime.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17342
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Worthy of mention, too obscure for own thread

Post by A_B » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:53 pm

tennbengal wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:37 pm
I got Cheers at #1 theme song just ahead of the other greats.
I’ve been noodling and cheers and the fresh prince pretty much set the scene for then entire premise of the show.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

Post Reply