Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:00 pm “Here Comes My Girl” is the best Tom Petty song and not sure there’s a close second. (And he has at least a dozen absolutely great songs.)
There's "American Girl" and then everything else.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pretty stellar release day:

Bruce
Chris Robinson Brotherhood
Calexico & Iron and Wine
Lucas Nelson and Promise of the Real
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Frightened Rabbit are organizing a 10th anniversary album for "The Midnight Organ Fight" where artists will record covers of the songs. Supposed to be out mid-July. If all of the songs are as good as this, then I'll be first in line to buy:

RIP Scott Hutchison
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

She, and they, are both amazing. FR are also auctioning off their touring gear in the US to raise funds for Tiny Changes, the mental health non-profit set up in Scott's honor.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I still have a hard time listening to "Floating In The Forth" under the circumstances. Wondering if anyone is going to tackle covering that.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:08 pm I still have a hard time listening to "Floating In The Forth" under the circumstances. Wondering if anyone is going to tackle covering that.
Track listing of the album says The Twilight Sad cover it for the record.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:08 pm I still have a hard time listening to "Floating In The Forth" under the circumstances. Wondering if anyone is going to tackle covering that.
Track listing of the album says The Twilight Sad cover it for the record.
When I saw them last fall, they played 'Keep Yourself Warm' and James Graham, the lead singer, had a rough time keeping his emotions in check. He finally just held out the mic and had the crowd sing it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I listened to dopesmoker today while doing a project. Thanks boyblue! We miss you!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's summer in Boulder, he's probably balls deep into some hot as shit trustafarian hottie.

Also Bobbi Humprhrey is the shit.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I heard the Nas/Santana version of Back in Black today. That was pretty neat. Power chords for life.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Elvis Costello compiled a list of his 500 most essential albums in music history.

Pretty cool and interesting, although I'm not a fan of the fact that it contains many anthology and greatest hits packages.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:39 am
A_B wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am So, 14 hours in a car with a college freshman* in charge of the Aux introduced me to a lot of new music. I'd heard some Childish Gambino and Janelle Monae before, but listening to extended playlists of them was good. Really liked both of them. Same for Kendrick Lamar. Didn't care for Lil Wayne as much. Only overlap in taste was Kacey Muscgraves, whom I liked before daughter knew she existed probably.

But the one that I absolutely loved and had no idea existed was Lizzo. That is some fun stuff, and she can sing and rap in equal measures. Really really enjoyed her stuff.

EDIT: *-Excuse me...college SOPHOMORE.
Agreed on Lizzo. I haven't listened to it too much yet, but really did enjoy the first two run-thrus of it.
Holy shit Lizzo fans are called Lizzbians.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This works:

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It does work. Shows how good that song is.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 am
Giff wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:39 am
A_B wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am So, 14 hours in a car with a college freshman* in charge of the Aux introduced me to a lot of new music. I'd heard some Childish Gambino and Janelle Monae before, but listening to extended playlists of them was good. Really liked both of them. Same for Kendrick Lamar. Didn't care for Lil Wayne as much. Only overlap in taste was Kacey Muscgraves, whom I liked before daughter knew she existed probably.

But the one that I absolutely loved and had no idea existed was Lizzo. That is some fun stuff, and she can sing and rap in equal measures. Really really enjoyed her stuff.

EDIT: *-Excuse me...college SOPHOMORE.
Agreed on Lizzo. I haven't listened to it too much yet, but really did enjoy the first two run-thrus of it.
Holy shit Lizzo fans are called Lizzbians.
I dig her. I'd drink tequila all day too!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

She is pretty great

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rewind here but I’ve never given The Cranberries their due. Dolores was the fucking best.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They're on the list of strong bands where one song overwhelmed an entire solid catalog. Nada Surf w/ "Popular" is in the same boat.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

New Sleater-Kinney is really good ...

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is really good too. KEXP is on one this afternoon ...

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 am New Sleater-Kinney is really good ...

No more Janet.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Going to be interesting if the real reason ever comes out.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Tiny Changes (tribute album to Frightened Rabbit's "Midnight Organ Fight") is out today and there's some good stuff on it.

As expected, a highlight is absolutely The Twilight Sad's "Floating In The Forth". The direction they took it was not what I would have expected under the circumstances but goddamn if it doesn't work. It's almost like the score from a David Lynch film or something by Giorgio Moroder. It just kind of gradually builds into a horror movie score.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Julien Baker's "Modern Leper" is spectacular too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I need a Swamp ruling on this cover of The Cranberries' "Dreams"

I've been playing this for about a month now and I like it, but the thing that keeps gnawing at me is it is a girl from one of those stupid "The Voice"/"American Idol"/"America's Got Talent" shows and there's a whole cottage industry these days built around de-constructing some of these songs from the 80s and 90s and after awhile it just starts to feel dumb and exploitive. I mean the whole "Postmodern Jukebox" thing is clever for a minute and then after that, I'm not impressed.

That said, I like that whoever produced this one took it in more of a post-rock direction and she really does seem to have a great voice. So anyway, no wrong opinions here.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:07 pm I need a Swamp ruling on this cover of The Cranberries' "Dreams"

I've been playing this for about a month now and I like it, but the thing that keeps gnawing at me is it is a girl from one of those stupid "The Voice"/"American Idol"/"America's Got Talent" shows and there's a whole cottage industry these days built around de-constructing some of these songs from the 80s and 90s and after awhile it just starts to feel dumb and exploitive. I mean the whole "Postmodern Jukebox" thing is clever for a minute and then after that, I'm not impressed.

That said, I like that whoever produced this one took it in more of a post-rock direction and she really does seem to have a great voice. So anyway, no wrong opinions here.

Love her voice. This track is overproduced as hell. PMJB was ok, but I agree the schtick wore off soon. Wish she'd just front a band and sing, she's got pipes.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I do not like it! (Agreed on the voice but that song didn't need some "epic" version.)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For reasons I'd rather not get into just went down an early 90s rabbit hole and was reminded of this song, that is quite possibly the one song I listened to the most from 1992 to about 1994. (Didn't hurt that I was dating a Canadian at the time and this song was absolutely, positively inescapable in Canada for several months. It would play about five times a night at Don Cherry's.)

ETA: The whole album is fucking great, actually. 500 Up is a serious banger.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:49 pm For reasons I'd rather not get into just went down an early 90s rabbit hole and was reminded of this song, that is quite possibly the one song I listened to the most from 1992 to about 1994. (Didn't hurt that I was dating a Canadian at the time and this song was absolutely, positively inescapable in Canada for several months. It would play about five times a night at Don Cherry's.)

ETA: The whole album is fucking great, actually. 500 Up is a serious banger.

89X, Windsor-Detroit.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You could barely get 89X in Battle Creek*, especially on the east side where I lived. If you ventured over to the west side, you could rarely get it depending on the atmospheric conditions**. I refused to listen to any other radio station. This made for some fun expletives if you happened to be listening to a good song but driving over to see your boys in Urbandale on the west side.

*It wouldn't be possible to get an American FM station at such a distance (about 120 miles), but the Canadian government doesn't have the same restrictions on wattage for FM stations that the US does. This also made those pre-USB devices that people used to play iPods or other music players through the lower range of the FM band on their car stereos completely unusable within about 150 miles of the Canadian border since the Canadian channels wattage was blasting through that.

**As I've mentioned before, Battle Creek is surprisingly big area-wise. The second largest city in Michigan by area. It's about 12 miles across from east to west.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:22 am
Was coming here to post the same thing. Colbert is totally into it...its brilliant.

And...as a side note: How cool is Jon Wurster's life? Great drummer currently in 3 bands (Mountain Goats, Superchunk, and with Bob Mould).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:07 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:22 am
Was coming here to post the same thing. Colbert is totally into it...its brilliant.

And...as a side note: How cool is Jon Wurster's life? Great drummer currently in 3 bands (Mountain Goats, Superchunk, and with Bob Mould).
Also does a weekly radio/pod with Tom Scharpling, is consistently hilarious on Instagram, and was going to be my famous Twitter guy (other thread), but I couldn't find that post. He either liked or retweeted a Tweet by me back when Superchunk was on a late night show (Conan?) and I clowned him for rolling up his shirtsleeves to look like Springsteen in the Dancing in the Dark video. He's also at least 10 years sober.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This Mongolian metal band utilizing traditional Mongolian throat singing is the most hardcore thing you'll see this month.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:49 am You could barely get 89X in Battle Creek*, especially on the east side where I lived. If you ventured over to the west side, you could rarely get it depending on the atmospheric conditions**. I refused to listen to any other radio station. This made for some fun expletives if you happened to be listening to a good song but driving over to see your boys in Urbandale on the west side.

*It wouldn't be possible to get an American FM station at such a distance (about 120 miles), but the Canadian government doesn't have the same restrictions on wattage for FM stations that the US does.
Fortunately, their signal sailed smoothly over the surface of Lake Erie. A college friend from Toledo and I used to amuse each other by mentioning the "89X Labatt's Blue Marine Cruiser - Honest and True, You Know It's Blue" at random times. Why not have a boat sponsored by a beer company to give marine conditions on summer weekends?

That station really helped with work the summer I was a third shift desk clerk.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I would love to have anything like 89X here. It was a great station back in the day. I checked it out one time when I was back visiting a few years ago and they were only playing dreck like Linkin Park. Nothing gold remains, I guess.

But they played that Sloan song every hour on the hour for months on end in 1992-93. I'd swear to it. I know they had (have?) the Canadian content requirements, but don't think it would have killed them to play some more Tragically Hip or something.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:45 pm I would love to have anything like 89X here. It was a great station back in the day. I checked it out one time when I was back visiting a few years ago and they were only playing dreck like Linkin Park. Nothing gold remains, I guess.

But they played that Sloan song every hour on the hour for months on end in 1992-93. I'd swear to it. I know they had (have?) the Canadian content requirements, but don't think it would have killed them to play some more Tragically Hip or something.
They also played the shit out of "Snowsuit Sound".
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bob Pollard is 61 years old, could still drink any of us under the table, has released two albums/56 songs worth of material already this year and it's only July. The guy is a fucking rock and roll machine. I really think one day Guided By Voices is going appreciated by future generations in a way they haven't during Pollard's lifetime. You could start a Bob Pollard playlist in Los Angeles and drive to New York and still not get through all of the music. And there's not as much filler as most people think. At least 1,600 released songs.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »