Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by P.D.X. »

I didn't realize those XTC and Joy Div albums were 70's. This exercise isn't for naught!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:33 am yeah, haha these lists always initially piss me off in a visceral way then i realize really who cares :D - i find so much of music reviews/critique tiresome ("Physical Graffiti isn't their best, but it's their most essential..." come on.). and I'd probably come out and say i really really dislike a lot of these (ok i'll bite: Iggy Pop and Lou Reed are hard passes for me anytime/anywhere....). also yeah i just never got into Bowie's music, I've tried, might be the voice?

BUT what's great about lists like this for me is potentially discovering things i've missed for decades. I've heard of everyone but not heard everyone. Some of this is just fun - Modern Lovers for instance is what i'm on right now. I can't take these for any true "top" lists since what does that really mean (i mean if 2112 isn't in the top 5 isn't it just a shamockery anyways??) but i'm loving this for setting up my work music for the next day or 3.
Iggy Pop is one of those artists who is much, much better in theory than reality. Lou Reed put out some fantastic music, but the majority of his stuff is not good at all.

And there's this -
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Raw Power crushes, even if he did do a lot of crap.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 pm Raw Power crushes, even if he did do a lot of crap.
I'll always be happy to hear I Wanna be Your Dog
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:17 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 pm Raw Power crushes, even if he did do a lot of crap.
'The Passenger' is a great Iggy song. As is 'Lust for Life', despite its use in a Carnival Cruise ad.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:39 pm
'The Passenger' is a great Iggy song. As is 'Lust for Life', despite its use in a Carnival Cruise ad.
Oh, there are a few other songs too. But he put out a lot of poor material.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

alright you fkers, now i feel bad and am going to revisit Iggy Pop with an open mind :) - throwing on Lust For Life album in its entirety.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:26 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:39 pm
Oh, there are a few other songs too. But he put out a lot of poor material.
My first concert, approximately 15 years old, had no clue who he was but won free tickets so I went. I had no clue what I was getting myself into and then he sang this:
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Iggy is one hell of a first concert.

Today is International Jazz Day, and KEXP is playing all jazz (and jazz-adjacent) stuff today. Great stuff...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I might add that my all-time favorite cover is Uncle Tupelo's version of Iggy's I Wanna be Your Dog.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Bronto, AB, and I might be the only ones who find this interesting, but American Aquarium dropped a surprise album of early 90s country covers with one of the better album covers in recent memory.

1. "Queen of My Double Wide Trailer"
2. "Some Girls Do"
3. "I Try to Think About Elvis"
4. "She's in Love With the Boy"
5. "John Deere Green"
6. "Wild One"
7. "Lost and Found"
8. "Down at the Twist and Shout"
9. "Heads Carolina, Tails California"
10. "Should've Been a Cowboy"
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:20 pm
And there's this -
Crazy that this was recorded in 71/72. Jonathon is the best.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:21 pm This new El Vy song "Return to the Moon" is either really great or proof I'd love anything with Berninger's voice on it.
Heard this twice in the past week, piped in over the speakers in a store. Today was Home Depot and I think the other was WF over the weekend (I remember hearing it but I’m not 100% sure where, though possibilities are limited and I don’t think my Stop&Shop plays music).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Whole Foods playlist on indie days is getting closer and closer to what I’d script and it’s super upsetting.

Also funny I hated the rest of that album, the latest The National album and his solo. That comment did not age well ha ha ha!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm looking forward to his upcoming album with JoJo Siwa.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha ... I don't know if I mentioned this here but we vetoed Q going to her concert with a friend maybe 3 years ago because (1) that can't be a first concert and without us and (2) the kid is really messed up. I'm sure its not her fault, but she was like a 16 year old 9 year old and faked her dad's death and shit.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

OK, heading to Google for that last part. Good on you for not allowing it. My daughter's first show was DMB, so I feel like I succeeded there!

OK, I read it. That came back to hurt her like a boomerang.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

First show was going to be an Alvvays freebie in Central Park which I think its pretty high level, but then her and the other kid going had a swim meet that night. I regret not skipping.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My daughter's first concert was a few pop-punk bands playing at The Fillmore in San Francisco. She was 14 and attending with a couple friends, and begged me not to join them (not gonna lie - that hurt a bit). She was on a complete high (not drug-related) when I picked her up coming out of the show, because she saw the girl bass-player from one of the warmup bands in the bathroom after their show, and told the girl that she also played bass and liked her playing. Long story short, she ended up hanging out with the two girls from that band for awhile and bringing home some swag they gave her.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bands I Like That Make Extensive Use of Autotune:

Bon Iver (& associated bands)
CHVRCHES

End of list (I might be missing a couple, but not many I assure you)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Antlers autotune or distortion?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:40 am Antlers autotune or distortion?
Not sure tbh but I do like Antlers (if they use autotune I don't notice as much as I do Justin Vernon stuff and CHVRCHES.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I'm much more a fan of For Emma and Blood Bank than a fan of Bon Iver. Most of the stuff since just hasn't really hit me the same and I'm sure that's part of it.

(ETA: Come to think of it, Chvrches too. I liked the first album but have mostly moved away.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:59 am I think I'm much more a fan of For Emma and Blood Bank than a fan of Bon Iver. Most of the stuff since just hasn't really hit me the same and I'm sure that's part of it.

(ETA: Come to think of it, Chvrches too. I liked the first album but have mostly moved away.)
New single is a banger:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hmmm ... agree to disagree? If you had a way of disguising her voice there's no way I guess that's what I remember of them.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

About through the first 10 albums on the Pitchfork and three of these are nearly unlistenable. Really testing my refuse to skip policy.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

3, 6 and 10? I stalled at #8 because the kids went back to school last week and my coworker doesn't have the same tolerance for trying this sort of shit out when she could instead listen to the same shit she listened to last week ; )
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I started at 100, so 98, 94, and 91.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Link to list?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:14 pm I started at 100, so 98, 94, and 91.
Oh christ. There's no way I'd even try to run this backwards.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:15 pmLink to list?
Pitchfork Top 100 Albums of the 1970s
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:16 pm
Giff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:14 pm I started at 100, so 98, 94, and 91.
Oh christ. There's no way I'd even try to run this backwards.
At this point, unlike the Paste Indie Folk one, I'm really regretting this decision, but will power through.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is like watching an hour of highlights of each NHL draft pick but starting in the 7th round and working forward.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

that's a quality line right there.
mister d wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:31 pm This is like watching an hour of highlights of each NHL draft pick but starting in the 7th round and working forward.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Or it's like listening to Casey Kasem except he's doing a bunch of shitty 70s albums. What music countdown ever starts at #1? I don't even read the lists outside of the 10 I put on my playlist at a time.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Honestly, lists should go from 1 to whatever, otherwise the time is spent projecting what's next versus enjoying what's now.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think I can do it because I'm truly doing this just to listen/re-listen to music that's either new to me or I forgot about. Or ones that I thought I hated when I was a 20-year-old or whatever. Also, and probably most importantly, this gives me some structure in what I choose to listen to because I'm so indecisive about some things I could spend all morning trying to figure out what to listen to if I didn't give myself these little pet music listening projects.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:04 pm I think I can do it because I'm truly doing this just to listen/re-listen to music that's either new to me or I forgot about. Or ones that I thought I hated when I was a 20-year-old or whatever. Also, and probably most importantly, this gives me some structure in what I choose to listen to because I'm so indecisive about some things I could spend all morning trying to figure out what to listen to if I didn't give myself these little pet music listening projects.
There's a lot of good 70s music that isn't played to death on classic rock radio, but I'm not a fan of this list.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:06 pm
Giff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:04 pm I think I can do it because I'm truly doing this just to listen/re-listen to music that's either new to me or I forgot about. Or ones that I thought I hated when I was a 20-year-old or whatever. Also, and probably most importantly, this gives me some structure in what I choose to listen to because I'm so indecisive about some things I could spend all morning trying to figure out what to listen to if I didn't give myself these little pet music listening projects.
There's a lot of good 70s music that isn't played to death on classic rock radio, but I'm not a fan of this list.
I should have asked you 10 albums ago! Now I have to finish it.

I almost started the entire Bloodshot records playlist on Spotify, but that was too daunting. If you've never heard of that label, check it out. It's kinda collapsing at this point, but I know a lot of the music is your stuff.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:25 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:06 pm
I should have asked you 10 albums ago! Now I have to finish it.

I almost started the entire Bloodshot records playlist on Spotify, but that was too daunting. If you've never heard of that label, check it out. It's kinda collapsing at this point, but I know a lot of the music is your stuff.
Oh, yeah. I'm familiar with Bloodshot. They've put out a lot of good stuff over the years.