Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
brian wrote:Been listening to a little XTC lately. Man, there’s a really underrated band. They should have been absolutely huge.

Always one of my favourites - been listening to them since "Drums and Wires."

"English Settlement" is one of those "3-Format Albums," owned it on vinyl, disc and now digitally. Back in 1982 (or thereabouts) I had tickets to see them, but they cancelled their tour as Andy Partridge's stage fright made it impossible for them to tour ever again.

I just discovered the new album by British Sea Power. Really good stuff.

In addition to Nirvana sucking up all the air in the room (essentially the entire decade of the '90s), the bolded really hurt XTC's ability to resonate beyond the college radio crowd.

Just did a look up, and it was 1982 when he had the breakdown. "English Settlement" - while not heading to the top of the charts - really expanded their audience (and it is a truly great album). They released a number of good albums after that, but seemed to slowly recede into the realm of cult favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfE-z0RN7n0

The young policeman who just can't grow a moustache will open up his book
And spoil their breakfast with reports of Asians who have been so badly kicked
Is this your son's wallet I've got here?
He must have dropped it after too much beer
Oh, officer, we can't believe our little angel is the one you've picked

And all the while Graham slept on
Dreaming of a world where he could do just what he wanted to

No thugs in our house are there, dear?
We made that clear
We made little Graham promise us he'd be a good boy
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
brian wrote:Been listening to a little XTC lately. Man, there’s a really underrated band. They should have been absolutely huge.

"English Settlement" is one of those "3-Format Albums," owned it on vinyl, disc and now digitally. Back in 1982 (or thereabouts) I had tickets to see them, but they cancelled their tour as Andy Partridge's stage fright made it impossible for them to tour ever again.

In addition to Nirvana sucking up all the air in the room (essentially the entire decade of the '90s), the bolded really hurt XTC's ability to resonate beyond the college radio crowd.

Just going from memory here, but XTC had already been around for like 10 years before Nirvana showed up, right? So, I don't see how you could blame Nirvana/grunge etc. for stealing their airspace. They had some very good songs in the 80s, but I just lumped them in with a lot of other similar-sounding bands.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

Just going from memory here, but XTC had already been around for like 10 years before Nirvana showed up, right? So, I don't see how you could blame Nirvana/grunge etc. for stealing their airspace. They had some very good songs in the 80s, but I just lumped them in with a lot of other similar-sounding bands.

You're right. I'm (half-jokingly) letting my annoyance with Nirvana spill into my XTC rant.

XTC were one of the best rock and roll bands, period. The Squeeze meet Wire with the sensibility of Ray freakin Davies. There was another, unfortunately unrecognized level to that band, and I'm not sure shutting themselves off the stage didn't slow down their um..'synergy'? in some way after his breakdown, either.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Squeeze is a band I need to check out, but never have. Black Coffee in Bed is one of my favorite songs now, but I only know it through XM and then I heard it while having an awesome breakfast in Las Vegas with my wife, so I always associate it with that now.

Where do I start?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So now we know why the Real Estate tour was cancelled: https://www.spin.com/2017/10/matt-monda ... legations/

(He's been out for over a year, but I can see where something like this would still cause that reaction.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:So now we know why the Real Estate tour was cancelled: https://www.spin.com/2017/10/matt-monda ... legations/

(He's been out for over a year, but I can see where something like this would still cause that reaction.)

tl; dr.

Can I put Darling on my top 17 singles of 17 without feeling icky?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I guess it depends on what else comes out? He was kicked out of the band 1.5 years ago, reportedly because the drummer (who was a new member and not one of the long-time friends) heard some credible enough rumors and gave Courtney and Bleeker a him-or-me ultimatum. If that's really the first they heard, they couldn't have done anything else and probably made the decision most bands comprised friends wouldn't have. I guess its a semi-plausible "if", since they've been doing their own projects for a bit and Courtney atleast has a family ... but its hard to just fully buy in. I'll wait it out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote:I guess it depends on what else comes out? He was kicked out of the band 1.5 years ago, reportedly because the drummer (who was a new member and not one of the long-time friends) heard some credible enough rumors and gave Courtney and Bleeker a him-or-me ultimatum. If that's really the first they heard, they couldn't have done anything else and probably made the decision most bands comprised friends wouldn't have. I guess its a semi-plausible "if", since they've been doing their own projects for a bit and Courtney atleast has a family ... but its hard to just fully buy in. I'll wait it out.

'sup with the infighting with bands like Band of Horses (and apparently) Real Estate?

Next up: Adam Granduciel is a colossal douchebag to work with.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote:The Squeeze is a band I need to check out, but never have. Black Coffee in Bed is one of my favorite songs now, but I only know it through XM and then I heard it while having an awesome breakfast in Las Vegas with my wife, so I always associate it with that now.

Where do I start?

Honest to God - Squeeze is a huge part of the soundtrack of my high school years.

Three key albums - "Cool For Cats" is Squeeze at their pub rocking best. Goofy, sentimental and catchy as hell.

"Argy Bargy" (their next album) full of pure pop. Delightful from start to finish.

"East Side Story" (as produced by Elvis C.) is full of all kinds of gems. Pop, country, some kind of semi-dark stuff too.

You can;t go wrong with any of these. Three albums from a band at the peak of their talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCUlJQcoUc
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote:'sup with the infighting with bands like Band of Horses (and apparently) Real Estate?

Next up: Adam Granduciel is a colossal douchebag to work with.

Didn’t know that about band of horses. Missus D has been on a recent kick with them.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Squeeze had a great "Best of" album. For you kids, it was the first CD I ever purchased, back in 1986 or so. Funny, Paul Carrack was only in the group for a very short while, but he had lead vocal on their big hit, "Tempted".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmkmtvxxG3o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22CNnjcW2bk
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'm proud that I was able to squeeze the thread into another direction.

I'll toss this one out there since it was released when I was post-pubes...

Video replete with Ames room effects..and directed by Vivian from the Young Ones (Adrian Edmondson), no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sa1TgAeZlQ
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Been getting back into some old-school industrial stuff and found a pretty good playlist though it's completely Wax Trax (not that that's a bad thing). Remember going through a phase in college where it seemed like all I listened to was Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, Ministry, Pigface, etc.

https://open.spotify.com/user/romulusnr ... k1ihupR0JP
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Along those lines I had no idea Pet Shop Boys were still putting out music until this came up on Spotify. Been repeating this for like a week.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2RccROmA5MRRLzX8HkzreL
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

MM is a total blindspot for me, but this just hit me the right way this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscfeQOMuGw
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The last five albums I've picked up are The National, Wolf Parade, War on Drugs, St. Vincent and Grizzly Bear which means I may have reached the point where I stop finding new bands and just stick with who I already know and their new stuff.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:The last five albums I've picked up are The National, Wolf Parade, War on Drugs, St. Vincent and Grizzly Bear which means I may have reached the point where I stop finding new bands and just stick with who I already know and their new stuff.

Spotify helps me with that. The personalized release radar is awesome.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its not necessarily an exposure thing, I hear new bands pretty much daily. I just don't pay as much attention and am mostly content hearing them on the radio without investing.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Thing that kills me about Spotify is they have all the data on your listening habits but your landing screen is still like "Bro-Country Top Trackz!"
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I present to you -- the worst song/video combination of all-time. If you can't deal with it, just fast forward to the 2:23 mark and try not to piss your pants laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrZJ5C_Nwg
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

P.D.X. wrote:MM is a total blindspot for me, but this just hit me the right way this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscfeQOMuGw

Staple on the gym list for me. That bass line...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:I present to you -- the worst song/video combination of all-time. If you can't deal with it, just fast forward to the 2:23 mark and try not to piss your pants laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrZJ5C_Nwg

That's a joke, right? It can't be serious.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's legit. Though it's horrifying enough that country/EDM is a mashup that exists. The "screaming cowboy" is apparently already a meme though.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I heard a country version of "Life is a Highway" while eating at a Mission BBQ with my wife yesterday.

I just said to her...

"I mean, it's not like that song flat-out sucks, but that's got to be the least cover-worthy song I've ever heard."
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My daughter and her friends were howling in laughter at that screaming cowboys song a couple/few weeks ago, so it appears to have gone viral.

The neighbor kid was playing the country cover version of “Life is a highway” a couple months ago. He was shocked when I told him it was a cover of an old rock song. Kids.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think what really takes it over the top is the guy looks like Alex Jones and if it really was Alex Jones then it might have been the funniest thing ever.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote:"I mean, it's not like that song flat-out sucks, but that's got to be the least cover-worthy song I've ever heard."

At a KEXP "covers night" show a few months back, local band Cataldo covered this:

https://youtu.be/2fsdNJAzLuU

which they said one of them had heard in the movie "How To Be Single". Its a terrible song, but somehow they made it work.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jason Isbell was on the soundtrack for This is Us last night. He's so mainstream now, you guys.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XanEB6OzI

New Superchunk album out in February!

This single is fire. Great "fuck you to Trump and nazis" lyrics on display in this lyrics video.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sturgill Simpson is the best, you guys.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/statu ... 8731170816

Link
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That took guts because you know it's a very unpopular point of view at the CMAs. Respect.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:That took guts because you know it's a very unpopular point of view at the CMAs. Respect.

Well, technically it was outside the venue and the quote was directed at the people who run the CMAs as much as it was everyone else, but it still took some balls.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote:That took guts because you know it's a very unpopular point of view at the CMAs. Respect.

It sounds like hosts were at least free to mock Trump, even if they didn't make a statement of protest as elegant and concise as Simpson.

"Right now, he's probably in his PJs, reaching for his cellphone," Paisley sang. "Right now, he's probably asking Siri, 'How in the hell do you spell Pocahontas?'

"In the middle of the night from the private seat of a gold-plated White House toilet seat, he writes, 'Liddle Bob Corker,' 'NFL' and 'covfefe,' " Paisley continued, before his co-host joined in to finish the chorus.

"It's fun to watch it, that's for sure, until little Rocket Man starts a war. Then maybe next time he'll think before he tweets."
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's absolutely a big deal statement in terms of reaching younger kids with racist parents.

(Yes, I'm stereotyping a segment of country music fans.)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's not For What It's Worth but it is something!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I think that none of you are spending the proper amount of time with the new Superchunk song that I posted yesterday.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

govmentchedda wrote:I think that none of you are spending the proper amount of time with the new Superchunk song that I posted yesterday.

Pretty solid in a Buzzcocky sort of way.