Re: Getting the spins

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Gotta keep going...

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I find myself singing “dontcha dontcha dontcha shush me” to myself multiple times a day these days
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

AB will be psyched (can say that his daughter would be though):

https://www.canncentral.com/psyc-album- ... moker-1995
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:29 pm AB will be psyched (can say that his daughter would be though):

My malware blocker (Avast - free) says that is an infected site.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:43 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:29 pm AB will be psyched (can say that his daughter would be though):

My malware blocker (Avast - free) says that is an infected site.
Mine won't let me access either. What is it?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

He may have dropped out of life with bong in hand.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:17 pm He may have dropped out of life with bong in hand.
I need some Sleep in my life.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Great thread by John Dardanelle here.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:36 pm Great thread by John Dardanelle here.

Been listening to a LOT of Mountain Goats lately. Darnielle is a very interesting dude. Watched a few of their KEXP sessions and they are so long because he's so chatty.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nels Cline Singers' Share the Wealth dropped last week.

It's real good.

Last edited by EnochRoot on Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Been listening to a LOT of Mountain Goats lately. Darnielle is a very interesting dude. Watched a few of their KEXP sessions and they are so long because he's so chatty.
You should check out the podcast 'I only listen to the Mountain Goats'. Its pretty interesting.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:06 am
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:50 pm

You should check out the podcast 'I only listen to the Mountain Goats'. Its pretty interesting.
I should go back. I listened a little a year or so ago, when I was just getting into them, and the only song of theirs that I really knew was Best Ever Death Metal Band.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This is how my year sounded on @Spotify. Get your 2020 Wrapped now #2020Wrapped
https://open.spotify.com/wrapped/share- ... lang=en-us
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:22 pm This is how my year sounded on @Spotify. Get your 2020 Wrapped now #2020Wrapped
https://open.spotify.com/wrapped/share- ... lang=en-us
I just got the global one. The one for me is kind of screwed up because I have a playlist that I created for the family (really, my wife) full of music she likes for when we're at the beach. It doesn't at all reflect the music I listen to by myself.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I refuse to even look at mine because (1) I still listen to a lot of my favorites via iTunes and not Spotify and (2) kids.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The podcast portion of mine is way off, as I use Pocketcasts for that.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's only showing me my top songs.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

'Sign o' the Times': How Prince Wrote and Recorded a Classic Song

FYI, this is a video story, but it's worth the time (about 10 minutes) if you're a Prince fan.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:00 pm Nels Cline Singers' Share the Wealth dropped last week.

It's real good.

It is. Never heard of these guys before.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:58 pm It's only showing me my top songs.
You have to use the IOS app to get the rest of the rankings.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:48 am
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:00 pm Nels Cline Singers' Share the Wealth dropped last week.

It's real good.

That whole album is amazing, although try as I may, I can’t find much pleasure in the disjointed nature of track 4.

Nels Cline is an avant-garde guitarist who has played all styles of music with musicians the world over. He’s been playing with Wilco since the ‘Ghost is Born’ tour from 2004.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:48 am

It's real good.

That whole album is amazing, although try as I may, I can’t find much pleasure in the disjointed nature of track 4.

Nels Cline is an avant-garde guitarist who has played all styles of music with musicians the world over. He’s been playing with Wilco since the ‘Ghost is Born’ tour from 2004.
Yeah, whenever a Wilco song absolutely shreds, it's Nels. He's mesmerizing to watch in concert. I miss live music.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Hold Steady announced a new album coming out next year...and released the first song from it.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Last Bandcamp Friday where all proceeds go to the artists. Picked up some pretty vinyls from a couple local stalwarts:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Low on the list of overall harm, but I really miss listening to music over the house speaker while working.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

because of kids/family? online meetings?

I suppose I'm lucky in that I do that/this roughly 90% of the day, alternating between my turntable behind me and streaming. Sure it's easier to fire up Apple Music but it's a hell of a lot more satisfying picking out a record. The ability to make a decision from a finite set of choices. Tactile feel. Makes me feel like I'm going insane just a little more slowly. A little.
mister d wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:34 am Low on the list of overall harm, but I really miss listening to music over the house speaker while working.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:31 am because of kids/family? online meetings?

I suppose I'm lucky in that I do that/this roughly 90% of the day, alternating between my turntable behind me...
This just reminded me that our 12 year old asked for a record player for Christmas. Can't wait until we are able to go pick out vinyl together.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

duff that's awesome. and crazy coincidence - not 20 minutes ago my 15yr old daughter just asked the same. I'm not gonna push a huge stereo on her, hell i had a shitty all-in-one component system growing up myself. Just don't want something so bad that it'll break her vinyl (for reference a new Harry Styles LP is btwn 40-50 bucks which OUCH. To be fair the newer records seem to use so much more vinyl - i.e. so much more material/thicker and the sound is definitely better than a lot of the stuff i bought in the 80s).

We used to shop at this great used place in Vancouver called Zulu Records - bought a lot of stuff together....she also loves listening to my old shit too so it's been pretty cool the last few months sharing some tunes with each other.

Had a "moment" yesterday when she said to me that one of her friends who previously had never heard of Rush now loves to listen to Tom Sawyer and YYZ all the time at home because of my daughter playing her the vinyl here over and over last year. #prouddad ha
duff wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:12 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:31 am because of kids/family? online meetings?

I suppose I'm lucky in that I do that/this roughly 90% of the day, alternating between my turntable behind me...
This just reminded me that our 12 year old asked for a record player for Christmas. Can't wait until we are able to go pick out vinyl together.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. I sit in a kindergarten classroom until noon every day then the oldest goes until 2:00. By the time we're noise free the morning show is over.
duff wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:12 pmThis just reminded me that our 12 year old asked for a record player for Christmas. Can't wait until we are able to go pick out vinyl together.
This is cool. Hope one of mine gets into it someday so we can justify making the leap.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:45 pm To be fair the newer records seem to use so much more vinyl - i.e. so much more material/thicker and the sound is definitely better than a lot of the stuff i bought in the 80s
All the rage these days is 180g vinyl which doesn't help sound at all but does mitigate warping (and also marketing and mark-ups). Although I quibble with the 2nd part... I've found generally records from the 60's-80's sound better than those coming after. (Thanks, compact discs)
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

hm - interesting. i'm definitely hearing that Styles album as better sounding than my flimsy 80s records :P but some of my *very* old ones (from dad and especially some classical ones from gramps) are amazing sounding.

but i also wonder if it's just the production of course - we did a lot of vinyl vs cd soundtesting in engineering school and it's funny to see how people line up. a lot of ppl are entrenched in their position on one or the other.
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:51 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:45 pm To be fair the newer records seem to use so much more vinyl - i.e. so much more material/thicker and the sound is definitely better than a lot of the stuff i bought in the 80s
All the rage these days is 180g vinyl which doesn't help sound at all but does mitigate warping (and also marketing and mark-ups). Although I quibble with the 2nd part... I've found generally records from the 60's-80's sound better than those coming after. (Thanks, compact discs)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Are the new LPs recorded analog or digital? (I would assume analog, but I don't know shit about this stuff). Audiophiles always told me that analog is what made records sound "warmer" than CDs or MP3's. Does the Swamp agree?

I still have all my old albums (~400 or so) and my great old Harman Kardon turntable, but as luck would have it, my current amp doesn't have jacks for a turntable.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:12 pm Are the new LPs recorded analog or digital?
Depends on the band and label. I believe most recording is still done to reel-to-reel and then digitized. The problem lies in that mastering for vinyl needs a different expertise than digital, and many labels don't bother with the time and expense since they're just trying to get the product out to feed the trendy vinyl demand. This results in records that don't sound any better than their digital counterparts, and are largely pointless from a sound standpoint. (Boxer, for example is a disappointment, unless there's some audiophile pressing out there that I'm missing). But yes, for true audiophile quality sound, there should be no digitization from the recording to final vinyl production. Some labels are really good about this, like Third Man and SubPop, and you can pretty much bank that any record they release is going to sound good.

I still have all my old albums (~400 or so) and my great old Harman Kardon turntable, but as luck would have it, my current amp doesn't have jacks for a turntable.
You just need a pre-amp for that. Goes between your table and your receiver.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:23 pmThis results in records that don't sound any better than their digital counterparts, and are largely pointless from a sound standpoint.
I'd read this (maybe here?) around the time when we were most considering the jump and it turned me off.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Fell down a Glen Campbell rabbit hole this afternoon. He had a series of bangers in hindsight. I am having all sorts of memories that flooded out of nowhere from being a young kid in the 70s hearing these songs at my grandfather’s place in Michigan - or in the car - or riding to vacations. My mood is decidedly melancholy at the moment.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sounds like it's time for another eight-minute bottle of wine, Bengal.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Man, the first 10 seconds of "Coney Island" make me realize how badly I want a real album from The National.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:43 am Man, the first 10 seconds of "Coney Island" make me realize how badly I want a real album from The National.
Maybe her proliferate spirit will motivate them.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The song tempo, piano, and guitar on Dorothea sound very National.