Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by govmentchedda »

I hear you, and agree with you on your choice of bands and albums to classify as perfection.

Side note: I would commit murder to go to Haven festival outside of Copenhagen this August.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Sabo wrote:Does anyone have the new Afghan Whigs album? If so, is it worth buying?
Full stream on YouTube.
Thanks, DSG. I figured you'd be the one to respond to my question.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Also on Spotify.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote:Side note: I would commit murder to go to Haven festival outside of Copenhagen this August.
Yeah, that's a nice "if I didn't have responsibilities but still had money" trip.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Side note: I would commit murder to go to Haven festival outside of Copenhagen this August.
Yeah, that's a nice "if I didn't have responsibilities but still had money" trip.
Norwegian is quite inexpensive from your area. Just saying. Not sure what to tell you about the responsibility side of things.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Sabo wrote:Does anyone have the new Afghan Whigs album? If so, is it worth buying?
Full stream on YouTube.
Thanks, DSG. I figured you'd be the one to respond to my question.
Of course.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

U2 - Joshua Tree live.... i'm not sure it really counts since I'm sitting at my place ~3km from BC Place (where they're currently playing) with the upstairs window open and can hear it pretty clearly even here. DAMMIT TURN IT DOWN OVER THERE! :D

(it's pretty cool actually)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nice little look back on the Singles soundtrack (which is getting a re-issue this week).

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Each time one of the Wilson sisters spoke, I thought "one band here is not like the others...".
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote:Each time one of the Wilson sisters spoke, I thought "one band here is not like the others...".
The perks of being married to the director.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The hipsters are finally getting hip...

Pitchfork's "A Guide to the Essential Live Songs of the Grateful Dead"

(pretty good actually, just some nit-picky things to complain about)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I never really listened to Wu Tang Clan but it's probably right in my wheel house. Where should I begin?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:I never really listened to Wu Tang Clan but it's probably right in my wheel house. Where should I begin?
That's easy. Start where it began. Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). From there maybe some of the better Wu solo albums like GZA/Genius' Liquid Swords and Raekwon's Only Built For Cuban Links, then through the Wu-Tang proper catalog.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Wicked. Thanks.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I pretty recently listened to Enter The Wu-Tang for the first time. I had heard some Wu-Tang stuff, but never the whole album. I decided that my rap knowledge was limited, so have been making an effort to catch up on classic rap albums. I had somewhat forgotten about the odd phenomenon of "humorous" skits on so many rap albums at that time.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Why was I not aware that the Dead's 5/8/77 Cornell show is now an official release? One of the first bootlegs I had, and I must have played it about a million times before the tape died on me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote:I had somewhat forgotten about the odd phenomenon of "humorous" skits on so many rap albums at that time.
I give them a lot of leeway knowing that most albums they were on were closer to dumb friends making dumb inside jokes than big studio deals. Drake(?) or someone doing it now would be super lame.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Why was I not aware that the Dead's 5/8/77 Cornell show is now an official release? One of the first bootlegs I had, and I must have played it about a million times before the tape died on me.
Was released as part of a bigger May'77 box set and then again on its own the first week of the month. Had to get it of course, but I think my favourite "tape" of it is a SDB/Crowd recording. It's almost too clean, needs some depth.

(and while it is a fantastic show I think a good 15-25% of its aura is the fact that it was the first crispy bootleg that most people had. (I got Barton Hall and a tape that most of an early 80s Greek show and then 02-02-70 that had Dark Star > Mason's Children > St Stephen from a brother of a HS girlfriend.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rush2112 wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:Why was I not aware that the Dead's 5/8/77 Cornell show is now an official release? One of the first bootlegs I had, and I must have played it about a million times before the tape died on me.
Was released as part of a bigger May'77 box set and then again on its own the first week of the month. Had to get it of course, but I think my favourite "tape" of it is a SDB/Crowd recording. It's almost too clean, needs some depth.

(and while it is a fantastic show I think a good 15-25% of its aura is the fact that it was the first crispy bootleg that most people had. (I got Barton Hall and a tape that most of an early 80s Greek show and then 02-02-70 that had Dark Star > Mason's Children > St Stephen from a brother of a HS girlfriend.)
The cool part is two of the releases actually charted in the top 15.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote:I pretty recently listened to Enter The Wu-Tang for the first time. I had heard some Wu-Tang stuff, but never the whole album. I decided that my rap knowledge was limited, so have been making an effort to catch up on classic rap albums. I had somewhat forgotten about the odd phenomenon of "humorous" skits on so many rap albums at that time.
This has put me into a deep youtube hole. Spinning off into a new thread.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

All the affirmation on Enter the Wu. Fantastic.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This should be its own thread, but I think the artist whose music most deserves a critical re-listen is Modest Mouse. I was going through their backcatalog in advance of the concert here in town tomorrow and was blown away by so much of their older stuff. But I think it helps appreciate the most recent albums as well. I think I could put together a case for them being one of the 5 best bands of the 21st century.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In a related story, I think you could make a case that the Modest Mouse and Sun Kil Moon versions of "Trucker's Atlas" is the best set of versions of the same song ever. (If you include points for how different the versions are).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Haven't given their catalogue a real deep rehash of late, because I'm not the biggest fan, but early Modest Mouse is pretty good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote:In a related story, I think you could make a case that the Modest Mouse and Sun Kil Moon versions of "Trucker's Atlas" is the best set of versions of the same song ever. (If you include points for how different the versions are).
Both versions are brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl9vGHVT_Xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVLTyvLvGLM
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote:In a related story, I think you could make a case that the Modest Mouse and Sun Kil Moon versions of "Trucker's Atlas" is the best set of versions of the same song ever. (If you include points for how different the versions are).
Is there debate about "Such Great Heights"?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:
Is there debate about "Such Great Heights"?
I think that's another great example, though personally I'm not a huge fan of the Postal Service version.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I like it, but I think Beam blew it out of the water.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:(I always forget about the Undercover series. Its so great.)
Fuck yeah
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The beginning of the new Arcade Fire has to be an actual ABBA song, right?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Has any bad in the last 20 years done more to tank their peak status with later work? Not just "this wasn't very good compared to their earlier stuff", but actively detracting from what they'd built. I'm sure there are, but no one is coming to mind right now.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DMB, Biggio, or Arcade Fire?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Has any bad in the last 20 years done more to tank their peak status with later work? Not just "this wasn't very good compared to their earlier stuff", but actively detracting from what they'd built. I'm sure there are, but no one is coming to mind right now.
I don't think so. I stopped listening to their new stuff after Suburbs came out, so I can't speak for Reflektor and whatever else they've put out since then, but they really peaked at the beginning and got progressively worse, in my opinion.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

About the same. I liked the first two and then really kinda hated The Suburbs. Following with Reflektor made it feel like maybe the first two were the outliers.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jason Isbell's Twitter feed consistently makes me laugh.

https://twitter.com/JasonIsbell/status/ ... 6210204672
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:Jason Isbell's Twitter feed consistently makes me laugh.

https://twitter.com/JasonIsbell/status/ ... 6210204672
One week till I get that sweet new wax.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:Surprisingly interesting long read asking a simple question -- what happened to Bob Seger's back catalog? And why aren't his albums online?
Never mind.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote:

What are your thoughts on the whole album? I've listened to it through three times or so. Strong effort.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

What are your thoughts on the whole album? I've listened to it through three times or so. Strong effort.
Picking it up at my FLRS this afternoon. I've only listened to 2 tracks (Hope the High Road and Cumberland Gap). Successfully waited out NPR having the full album up until I can crank it up on my table this afternoon. I'm very excited.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[Jay Leno voice]
Hey guys, I hear Lorde has a new album out titled "Melodrama".
[scattered applause]
Yeah. She's very talented. Very talented young woman. But I didn't know she was a New York Knicks fan!
[/Jay Leno voice]