Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by govmentchedda »

That's great too.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

And I've now got a new crush. Watch the KEXP show.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

She's hot as F. Plus the added bass playing. bites knuckles "hnnnng"
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:08 pm And I've now got a new crush. Watch the KEXP show.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I love that song. It builds so well musically, and the lyrics are great.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:35 pm
A_B wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:57 am
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:18 pm Sleep

That was the Third Man Records twitter account. Someone must've gotten a wrist-slapping.
I went and fired up Dopesmoker because of this news (420!) to see what it's about. I'm seven minutes in, there have been no words, and it's almost like it's a soundtack for an alien movie but yet I am still compelled to keep listening.

Comment on the youtube page:

"This is my ringtone. The whole thing."

Just got control of the aux on vacation. Every one gets a song before passing it on. Dopesmoker it is.
Saw them in Denver last week. They ripped through most of the new album, with the encore being "Dragonaut" (off Holy Mountain) and like a 10 minute excerpt of Dopesmoker. Very satisfying.
Seems like a dopesmoker kind of afternoon.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Julien Baker kind of a morning here.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 am Julien Baker kind of a morning here.

Go see her live.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like he's just gonna hop a plane to Chicago tonight?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He should
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I wish I lived in places where you can get to big cities for $127 round trip.

I know that's not the right dates, but just wild to think...hey I'l go to chicago this weekend.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's not much more than that to get overseas these days. For example, I got an email alert today that your daughter* could fly RT to Paris for $276.

ETA - or any other Bostonian.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

My sister-in-law has been working at a corporate moving company for years. She's super overworked, but anytime she threatens to leave they throw more money at her. As a thank you, they moved her and her family to Ireland for at least 2 years to help open a European branch. I'm jealous of the living in Ireland, but more jealous of the cheap ass hell flights to anywhere on the continent.

I don't know if they are still happening but Norwegian airlines was offering cheap as hell flights to London from Boston and NYC earlier in the year (they were like 400 RT from Denver)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:01 pm My sister-in-law has been working at a corporate moving company for years. She's super overworked, but anytime she threatens to leave they throw more money at her. As a thank you, they moved her and her family to Ireland for at least 2 years to help open a European branch. I'm jealous of the living in Ireland, but more jealous of the cheap ass hell flights to anywhere on the continent.

I don't know if they are still happening but Norwegian airlines was offering cheap as hell flights to London from Boston and NYC earlier in the year (they were like 400 RT from Denver)
We've flown Norwegian a bunch recently, and it's been great. We've been able to get to Europe and back for less than $600pp (including about $90 extra per leg for picking seat, getting a meal, checking a bag). Those flights have either originated from Orlando or NYC. Just recently they opened a Tampa to Gatwick bi or tri weekly route, and if you're not picky about travel dates, and don't mind not paying extra for picking a seat, meal, bag, etc., you can fly RT in the $400s.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:01 pm My sister-in-law has been working at a corporate moving company for years. She's super overworked, but anytime she threatens to leave they throw more money at her. As a thank you, they moved her and her family to Ireland for at least 2 years to help open a European branch. I'm jealous of the living in Ireland, but more jealous of the cheap ass hell flights to anywhere on the continent.

there's a big difference between cheap ass hell flights and cheap as hell flights
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Evidently, my phone sees as as ass.

Though from what I hear Ryan Air flights are pretty much all hell flights.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:29 pm Go see her live.
Gonna try to go see her in LA end of next month.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

How did I not know The Struts before dan le batard had their lead singer on the show today. I feel like I should have known this band.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don’t know if there’s an artist with a bigger gap of being improved by experiencing while high as LCD Soundsystem.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 pm I don’t know if there’s an artist with a bigger gap of being improved by experiencing while high as LCD Soundsystem.
I Imagine not. I don't think it is related to your hypothesis, but man I used to absolutely hate them, and now I really like about half of their stuff.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s funny though. Some artists aren’t meant to be listened to unless the music has your full attention.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 pm It’s funny though. Some artists aren’t meant to be listened to unless the music has your full attention.
I was there in 1968
I was there at the first Can show in Cologne
I'm losing my edge
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 pm It’s funny though. Some artists aren’t meant to be listened to unless the music has your full attention.
Counter-funny, I've noticed the more closely I'm paying attention the more a lot of the lyrics get under my skin. But their best stuff is really, really good.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hey BSF, check this one out ...

Her voice is very Emily Haynes-ish.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 am
Counter-funny, I've noticed the more closely I'm paying attention the more a lot of the lyrics get under my skin. But their best stuff is really, really good.
I had never really given American Dream much of a chance, but listened last night and was really, really impressed. Could be their best album, which is really saying something.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:42 am Hey BSF, check this one out ...

Her voice is very Emily Haynes-ish.
Thanks for the listen! I do like her voice a lot. The music is a bit poppy for my taste but I'm gonna poke around and see what they're all about. Kinda reminds me of Echosmith.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 amI had never really given American Dream much of a chance, but listened last night and was really, really impressed. Could be their best album, which is really saying something.
I think, aside from the shit on Out of Time, I tend to really hold an artist's worst songs against them and Murphy has a couple that really grate on me. "Daft Punk is Playing at My House" first and foremost.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:31 pm
brian wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 amI had never really given American Dream much of a chance, but listened last night and was really, really impressed. Could be their best album, which is really saying something.
I think, aside from the shit on Out of Time, I tend to really hold an artist's worst songs against them and Murphy has a couple that really grate on me. "Daft Punk is Playing at My House" first and foremost.
I get what you're saying. I think LCD SS is one of those rare bands where I don't really like any of their "radio" hits, but really dig most of the deep tracks and experimental stuff on their albums. I think Murphy has these impulses where he is a genius (and knows it) and knows how to make a "hit" but kind of has to sell his soul a little to do it if that makes any sense. So you get songs like "Daft Punk" and "North American Scum" and "Drunk Girls" and you hear them and it just feels like something is missing and you can't quite put your finger on it.

I felt like he really restrained that (for whatever reason) on American Dream and just decided to make an album that is personal. Even a song like "Call The Police" which if you examine on the surface is a pretty standard LCD SS "single"/radio song has additional levels that those other popular songs don't in my opinion.

ETA: And it would be career suicide, but if he decided to go full-on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and just made all 12-minute songs like "Black Screen" I would probably just sell my house and buy an RV and follow them around like a Deadhead from show to show.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The three songs you list in paragraph one are part of what had me hating him/them.

Then I heard Someone Great.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, super polar. The ones Brian mentioned and "Losing My Edge" suck ass, but "Someone Great", "I Can Change", "All My Friends" and "Dance Yourself Clean" are great.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:58 pm The three songs you list in paragraph one are part of what had me hating him/them.

Then I heard Someone Great.
That's the maddening thing. That song is great and "All My Friends" is one of my favorite songs by any artist ever, but I've never really fully embraced them because some of the biggest songs of theirs are crap. Could be why I held American Dream at arm's length as well, but I really shouldn't have is what I've spent half a page on this thread trying to say.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And the retirement was lame as hell.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm And the retirement was lame as hell.
I didn't mind that. It's a bit douche, but that's what I expect from JM.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Read that at lunchtime. Solid stuff. They're so so good.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

God damn are Sparks fun.

Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:07 am Huh. I'm so old I had no idea. Their wiki. They seem hella legit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Van_Fleet
This is a SAVAGE review (but accurate IMO).
Greta Van Fleet do no such thing. They care so deeply and are so precious with their half-baked boomer fetishism, they mollycoddled every impulse of late-’60s rock‘n’roll into an interminable 49-minute drag. Each song here could be written or played by any of a thousand classic rock cover bands that have standing gigs at sports bars and biker joints across America (the same venues where Greta Van Fleet cut their teeth when they were kids). So why should Greta Van Fleet be the ones signed to Republic and William Morris, because they don’t have bald spots yet? Tons of people in those cover bands play their instruments better than Greta Van Fleet, who are, currently, proficient at best. No one in this band offers anything in the way of personality that doesn’t sound like your average YouTube tutorial for a Jimmy Page-type pentatonic solo or a John Bonham-type shuffle.

And at least Zeppelin knew to separate their sweet-lady-I’m-horny songs from their howling-about-literary-fantasy songs. Hilariously, Greta Van Fleet combine them into one on “The Cold Wind,” where the narrator (who is dying) begs his “sweet mama” to take the family ox (I guess) to town to sell it, when, mid-ox-transaction, this happens: “The Yankee peddler bargains with you on his way/Whoa sweet mama’s gotten herself a new dress.”

That’s funny, but it’s not supposed to be funny, because Greta Van Fleet do not possess self-awareness—at all. When asked about a characteristically ugh lyric (“All my brothers who stand up/For the peace of the land”), Jake responded, in part, “I guess it’s subject to interpretation. But I think the initial idea with that was that, as brothers, we stand for the peace of land. And that was for the good of the Earth, and for man.” Ignoring that this is basically a gag in Spinal Tap, a much better answer that would speak to the spirit of the music they are trying to capture would be: “I don’t know, who gives a shit.”

What they lack in self-awareness they more than make up for in rigid self-consciousness, failing to make any fun or campy choices to lift these songs out of a morass of the worst impulses of Rush and Cream. The back half of the album alternates between the ignorable and unforgivable, from what is (a somewhat fun stomper “Mountain of the Sun”) to what should never be: “The New Day” features Josh singing about watching a child grow in a garden, seeing her bloom so she can “be a woman soon.” None of this lysergic-sexual thinking is within the band’s grasp, they are just swatting at crusty platitudes and copy-pasting old mythos hoping no one notices that they are too small, too inept to even put forth one meaningful, specific, original idea.