Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

RSmith
Brandt

Re: Getting the spins

Post by RSmith »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:06 am I like both versions
Fair enough. Oddly, I like both classic (Black Sabbath, Slayer, Candlemass) and more modern (Behemoth, As I Lay Dying, Nightrage) metal, but I've never been a fan of Metallica, even remotely.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:06 am I like both versions

Frankly, Metallica never should’ve covered it considering Hetfield can’t do soul. They managed to strip every last nuance of Irish folk out of the song.
Noli Timere Messorem
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:18 am Frankly, Metallica never should’ve covered it considering Hetfield can’t do soul. They managed to strip every last nuance of Irish folk out of the song.
That's what I thought too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The new Deafheaven is up on NPR First Listen and it's their best album yet IMO and I thought Sunbather was one of the best albums of 2013.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:43 am The new Deafheaven is up on NPR First Listen and it's their best album yet IMO and I thought Sunbather was one of the best albums of 2013.
Brilliant! I'm a big fan as well.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I have a love/hate relationship with Deafheaven. They're undoubtedly good, but their sound is so derivative of several bands that will never get the same amount of recognition (or RayBan sponsorships and Pitchfork slobbering). I suppose there's cases of that in every genre though. They're a fantastic show though, and I'd argue George is probably one of the best frontmen in music atm.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:11 am I have a love/hate relationship with Deafheaven. They're undoubtedly good, but their sound is so derivative of several bands that will never get the same amount of recognition (or RayBan sponsorships and Pitchfork slobbering). I suppose there's cases of that in every genre though. They're a fantastic show though, and I'd argue George is probably one of the best frontmen in music atm.
At least they're not Dimmu Borgir... ;-)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I don't think I can sit through DB's new one, and I actually liked Abrahadabra. (for being Disney black metal)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm listening to the Rolling Stone Top 500 albums circa 2012 and will probably share my thoughts as a whole once I'm done (I'm currently on 110 counting down from 500 and it's been 18 months), but one thing is clear - The Who are trash and the most overrated band of all-time. Just awful.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

OK, computer friends. No need to kid, eh?
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am I'm listening to the Rolling Stone Top 500 albums circa 2012 and will probably share my thoughts as a whole once I'm done (I'm currently on 110 counting down from 500 and it's been 18 months), but one thing is clear - The Who are trash and the most overrated band of all-time. Just awful.
I think I'd buy overrated. But trash...no.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am I'm listening to the Rolling Stone Top 500 albums circa 2012 and will probably share my thoughts as a whole once I'm done (I'm currently on 110 counting down from 500 and it's been 18 months), but one thing is clear - The Who are trash and the most overrated band of all-time. Just awful.
I’d slot Led Zeppelin as most overrated band of all-time and anything else is a distant second.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:10 pm
I’d slot Led Zeppelin as most overrated band of all-time and anything else is a distant second.
They've never done anything close to the abortion that is "The Who Sell Out".
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That's a hard no.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:11 pm
That's a hard no.
I don't like Zeppelin quite as much as seems to be the consensus, but I agree.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Why do you hate the english!?!?!?

(Your radiohead joke was great though, so maybe you don't hate ALL english. Just the overrated ones.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:24 pm
Why do you hate the english!?!?!?

(Your radiohead joke was great though, so maybe you don't hate ALL english. Just the overrated ones.)
Wrong thread tho. And I like The Who so I have no issues with English musicians. In fact if anything I’m probably an Anglophile given how much I like The Stone Roses, Oasis et al.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:11 pm
That's a hard no.
I love Zeppelin, but even if I didn't, I'd find that to be an indefensible statement in a world where the Eagles exist.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But a lot of people think the Eagles suck.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm But a lot of people think the Eagles suck.
Oh.

How about changing "the Eagles" to "the Beach Boys?"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:28 pm But a lot of people think the Eagles suck.
Oh.

YES!

I'm not a particular fan of the Eagles, but damn if I wasn't singing along when I saw them at ACL a few years ago. I'd rather sit in the port-o-john on Sunday night for 2.5 hours rather than listen to The Who or The Beach Boys.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm
Oh.

YES!

I'm not a particular fan of the Eagles, but damn if I wasn't singing along when I saw them at ACL a few years ago. I'd rather sit in the port-o-john on Sunday night for 2.5 hours rather than listen to The Who or The Beach Boys.
Wait, are you comparing The Who to the bloody sodding Beach Boys? I must have misread that...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh.

YES!

The Who were my favourite band when I was a kid. To this day, there are still a number of their songs that I get excited to hear.

But they have not released anything of note since Keith Moon died (and "Who Are You" is pretty weak as an album). 40 years as an oldies band is eclipsed only by the Beach Boys who were an oldies band when I was a kid.

"Sloop John B" and "God Only Knows" are decent songs though.

Let's talk about the Stones though... when is the last time they released something that people wanted to hear on any of their dozen or so farewell tours. Their recently released blues album that had critics salivating is well nigh unlistenable.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

RSmith wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 pm
Oh.

YES!

Wait, are you comparing The Who to the bloody sodding Beach Boys? I must have misread that...
I know...apologies to The Beach Boys.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 pm
Oh.

YES!

I...am absolutely gobsmacked. You *must* be joking...

The Beach Boys are a very special and unique sort of terrible.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

RSmith wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm
Oh.

YES!

Neither group has released anything of note since the Carter administration, but nothing, and I mean nothing the Beach Boys ever put out should even be on the same streaming service as side 3 of Quadrophenia. The Who have been a punch line for a long, long time, but at their peak, they were as good as it gets.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm
RSmith wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh.

YES!

Neither group has released anything of note since the Carter administration, but nothing, and I mean nothing the Beach Boys ever put out should even be on the same streaming service as side 3 of Quadrophenia. The Who have been a punch line for a long, long time, but at their peak, they were as good as it gets.
That's fair.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:57 pm I actually really like the new Dave Matthews Band song (Samurai Cop).
They’ve already turned it into a pretty killer live track in the two months since I heard it live.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Beach Boys get a lifetime pass for Pet Sounds, one of the best albums in the history of music. (Even if it was all Brian Wilson.). This isn’t a diss of The Who but at most three or four bands in history of music have put out an album as good as Pet Sounds.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 am The Beach Boys get a lifetime pass for Pet Sounds, one of the best albums in the history of music. (Even if it was all Brian Wilson.). This isn’t a diss of The Who but at most three or four bands in history of music have put out an album as good as Pet Sounds.
Frankly, I think this is the absolute-correct lens through which to view the Beach Boys. I’ll add that The Who were a fantastic band that was, for better or worse, led creatively by a man who insisted upon shoving larger themes (via the rock opera) down our throats. They did produce some decent music after Moon’s demise, but it was pretty evident that Townsend’s heart was no longer in it.

In essense, it was more than just another tricky day for them (full disclosure: that’s one of my favorite Who songs that I have little doubt was Townsend penning something about coping with Keith Moon’s death. That song’s helped reset my perspective several times throughout my life)..
Noli Timere Messorem
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

brian wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 am The Beach Boys get a lifetime pass for Pet Sounds, one of the best albums in the history of music. (Even if it was all Brian Wilson.). This isn’t a diss of The Who but at most three or four bands in history of music have put out an album as good as Pet Sounds.
I don't see it, but that's fine. I also strongly dislike The Beatles, so I clearly do not appreciate much of what other folks hold up as the all-time greats...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I cannot fathom how someone dislikes the Beatles, but you must at least respect the Beatles for their influence on music and how they brought "art" into rock and roll.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm I cannot fathom how someone dislikes the Beatles, but you must at least respect the Beatles for their influence on music and how they brought "art" into rock and roll.
Well, their influence/impact is objectively demonstrable, so I certainly don't deny that. They just have never been much to my taste, and I'm fairly certain that I've listened to all of their stuff at one time or another. Hard to say why, honestly. I don't categorically dislike them; Hey Jude was a nice song, and there are a few others. But overall, I wouldn't ever think to put on a Beatles album...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Getting the spins in another way..attended the remnants of the Grateful Dead show in Boulder this past weekend. Brought a few beers to drink in the lot then got shafted on catching the right bus so could drink them all before I went in. Gave one to a dude in line to get in and once we were in he gave me this chocolate mushroom ball.

Has mushroom science advanced like pot science? Because I was fucking spinning. I really don't remember the middle part of the second set aside from the visions.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I read a Vulture interview with Billy Joel. Actually feel bad for owning albums and not going to more shows, though I suppose I have seen him four times live. Didn't realize he has little creative control over his catalog.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This video for "Once In My Life" by The Decemberists is amazing:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

New Lucero album is on NPR First Listen. Looks like another winner.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I predict "To My Dearest Wife" might become Giff's favorite Lucero song. (No subtext or jokes, just seems like something he'd like and some of the lyrics are relevant to him.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 am I predict "To My Dearest Wife" might become Giff's favorite Lucero song. (No subtext or jokes, just seems like something he'd like and some of the lyrics are relevant to him.)
Good prediction...it's been on my 2018 singles playlist since they debuted it. The wife loves it too.