Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Christ I heard nothing about that until I was scanning releases this morning. New record store opened up in my hood yesterday but UPS screwed up a single box that had those copies in it :(
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

You checked out any tour dates? They're doing Boulder, Denver, and Santa Fe (Meow Wolf), so likely I'll catch a couple. Early 2022.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'll meet y'all in Santa Fe.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:54 am
You checked out any tour dates? They're doing Boulder, Denver, and Santa Fe (Meow Wolf), so likely I'll catch a couple. Early 2022.
Saw that. I might try to get back for a show. I’ll have to make a visa run around February-ish anyway.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I need someone to help me with the Rhiannon Giddens love.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:46 pm I need someone to help me with the Rhiannon Giddens love.
I'm a fan. Used to be in a good band called The Carolina Chocolate Drops. Great banjo and fiddle player. She got a lot of airtime as a commenter in Ken Burns's Country Music series.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:32 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:46 pm I need someone to help me with the Rhiannon Giddens love.
I'm a fan. Used to be in a good band called The Carolina Chocolate Drops. Great banjo and fiddle player. She got a lot of airtime as a commenter in Ken Burns's Country Music series.
Yeah, among my group of friends who go see DMB with me every year we joke about how awful they were when they opened for them.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:37 am
sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:32 pm
Yeah, among my group of friends who go see DMB with me every year we joke about how awful they were when they opened for them.
Different strokes. I’m certainly not a fan of the Dave Mattews Band.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's cool. I had just never actually met someone who liked her. I guess I was proven wrong!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just got tickets to both nights of Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus in RVA on 9/10 and 9/11.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I was going to say that was possibly going to be my first concert tickets purchased since last February, but somehow slipped my mind for a second that I'm going to my first live show in 14 months tonight!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:30 am Just got tickets to both nights of Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus in RVA on 9/10 and 9/11.
I've considered Baker and Japanese Breakfast but I want the first one back out to be a show we're both into, not a me show.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You're overthinking it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If we had family around to babysit, for sure, but going out is effort + cost.

Unless I just sneak out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I get that.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was talking with a neighbor about this: Will venues, especially in the mid-sized tour cities, eventually be rejecting name bands assuming more than usual will be looking to get back out on the road? And will cities that are often skipped for proximity or travel logistics going to start picking up some legit shows because of volume?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I got my second shot a week ago and am excited about seeing shows again. But I’m having trouble getting over my reluctance to go to indoor events where many people won’t be masked up. Hell, I don’t want to eat indoors at a restaurant, either.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The one tonight is outdoors thank goodness. Well except for that line of thunderstorms coming in around the time the gates open. Oh well, it'll be worth it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:30 am Just got tickets to both nights of Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus in RVA on 9/10 and 9/11.
I thought about pulling the trigger on some Julien Baker tickets, but she's playing at a venue that I hate, so I held off.

One other thing....my GF is starting to say things like "I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do the weeknight concert/get home late/get up and go to work thing anymore".
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm with ya, Lady DiS. Weeknight concerts are almost exclusively no gos for me anymore.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This is the part of the story where I note an advantage of being retired. (But, a disadvantage of being old.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:43 am I'm with ya, Lady DiS. Weeknight concerts are almost exclusively no gos for me anymore.
That was me pre-pandemic. Once I start going, I'll be going to whatever and adjusting my next morning accordingly.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Good lord!

Astounding.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

gimme a buzzed summer day rightawayrightnow
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That Durand Jones is good.

The entire Colemine Records roster is worth a listen as well.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:35 am That Durand Jones is good.

The entire Colemine Records roster is worth a listen as well.
Digging that. Pruitt's comment about Colemine reminds me of doing a shallow dive into Daptone after seeing Charles Bradley live.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've decided to try to go start to finish on the list below. It won't happen, because I like to leave things unfinished, but that's the goal.

Pitchfork: Top 100 Albums of the 1970s
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nice. I'm about done with the most recent list of best-of albums (Paste's Top 100 Indie Folk Albums) I've been going through and this one will be a good next one.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sly and the Family Stone is very much not my thing so I instituted a skip policy if I feel like I've given it an honest effort.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Have fun with Kraftwerk!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:24 am Sly and the Family Stone is very much not my thing so I instituted a skip policy if I feel like I've given it an honest effort.
I didn't skip a single song on the Rolling Stone top 500 playlist.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

You could have given me 100 guesses and I wouldn't have come up with their #1 choice.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:05 am I've decided to try to go start to finish on the list below. It won't happen, because I like to leave things unfinished, but that's the goal.

Pitchfork: Top 100 Albums of the 1970s
I can’t get behind that list. I know most of that top ten, and it is more of a critic’s “I know more than you do” list than what it purports to be. Bowie’s “Low” at number one? He had three, better, more significant albums in that decade. And, bands like Television were pretty influential in the early days of punk, but the.music isn’t great and Tom Verlaine isn’t much of a singer. But I guess it’s cooler to pick them than a more accessible, commercially successful band from the same scene.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm with you on Bowie (I find him vastly overrated), but I love Marquee Moon. It's a great album and one I still listen to from time to time. I didn't discover that one until much later though - probably 15 years ago or so.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I don't think I saw a single Black Sabbath album on there?
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

yeah, haha these lists always initially piss me off in a visceral way then i realize really who cares :D - i find so much of music reviews/critique tiresome ("Physical Graffiti isn't their best, but it's their most essential..." come on.). and I'd probably come out and say i really really dislike a lot of these (ok i'll bite: Iggy Pop and Lou Reed are hard passes for me anytime/anywhere....). also yeah i just never got into Bowie's music, I've tried, might be the voice?

BUT what's great about lists like this for me is potentially discovering things i've missed for decades. I've heard of everyone but not heard everyone. Some of this is just fun - Modern Lovers for instance is what i'm on right now. I can't take these for any true "top" lists since what does that really mean (i mean if 2112 isn't in the top 5 isn't it just a shamockery anyways??) but i'm loving this for setting up my work music for the next day or 3.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

(also they end up being tough for someone (me) who is like 99.38% drawn to the music over lyrics. Which is probably why Dylan has always been nothing to me - not awful! just ... i don't listen. having said that, i do love Randy Newman.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:12 am I'm with you on Bowie (I find him vastly overrated), but I love Marquee Moon. It's a great album and one I still listen to from time to time. I didn't discover that one until much later though - probably 15 years ago or so.
That album is exactly why I'm doing this. Its one I'd never think to just throw on myself before but now I will
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:40 am Have fun with Kraftwerk!
Currently halfway through. Being someone who didn't get into this sort of music until after college I'm pretty uneducated on the bands that I like were influenced by.