Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by BSF21 »

(Just want to encourage everyone to look at artists that maybe don't get as much recognition as a Def Leppard kind of band might.)

Really trying to lean into this here
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:46 am (Just want to encourage everyone to look at artists that maybe don't get as much recognition as a Def Leppard kind of band might.)

Really trying to lean into this here
There is no world in which Roxy Music can safely be compared to Barry Bonds!

Unless of course Brian Eno (WHO I HAVE HEARD OF!) has steroid clouds hanging over his head.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Personally, I'm surprised that the J. Geils Band isn't in yet. They had a long run, were staples of AOR radio, and headlined arenas for many years. Several bands in the Hall opened for them.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:50 pm Personally, I'm surprised that the J. Geils Band isn't in yet. They had a long run, were staples of AOR radio, and headlined arenas for many years. Several bands in the Hall opened for them.
Including U2!

I saw U2 open for them in the spring of '82 in San Francisco. According to Setlist.FM, it was the last time that U2 opened for someone.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

John In The Morning on KEXP just completed his Top 10 plays of the year countdown...the list:

10: Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
9: Someone Great - LCD SoundSystem
8: TR/ST - Destroyer
7: Death Cab For Cutie - Gold Rush
6: The Cure - Fascination Street
5: Buffalo Tom - All Be Gone
4: Show Me - Mint Royale (aka 'The Friday Song')
3: CCFX - The One To Wait
2: Fontaines DC - Chequeless Reckless
1: IDLES - Danny Nedelko

I'm guessing the IDLES album, 'Joy As An Act Of Resistance' will be the #1 album of the year on the listener countdown (currently underway)
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Denis wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:08 pm Ryley Walker is fucking great.

Reading articles about Ryley Walker's cover of the Lillywhite Sessions is interesting since the usual audience that writes and reads about Walker seems to be the same crowd that likes to look down upon silly Dave and his musically unsophisticated fans.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like I'd still be a DMB fan if they kept the Lillywhite Sessions and continued down that path.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:29 pm
Read that at lunchtime. Solid stuff. They're so so good.
The fact that Isbell thinks hallelujah has best first line ever gives me pause.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:37 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:29 pm
Read that at lunchtime. Solid stuff. They're so so good.
The fact that Isbell thinks hallelujah has best first line ever gives me pause.
How so?

ETA: I don't think you can have a "wrong" opinion here, no more than Isbell's is "wrong", so I won't reply regardless -- just curious.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think that song is one of the worst songs that people think is good out there.

(Also, and I think this is where my head was at when i posted that, but on one hand here is a guy whose songwriting I respect so much saying it's good, so maybe I should reconsider it, and on the other i think that song is terrible so it's an indictment of isbell. Pause either way.)

((and you're right, there's no wrong/right answer and it's ok to dislike a song other like or whatever))
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:45 pm I think that song is one of the worst songs that people think is good out there.

(Also, and I think this is where my head was at when i posted that, but on one hand here is a guy whose songwriting I respect so much saying it's good, so maybe I should reconsider it, and on the other i think that song is terrible so it's an indictment of isbell. Pause either way.)

((and you're right, there's no wrong/right answer and it's ok to dislike a song other like or whatever))
Fair. Though in both cases it's just an opinion. I thought maybe your concerns were based on something more like religious grounds or something like that. NBD.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Amanda Shires, Brandi Carlile, and Margo Price Team Up to Form The Highwomen

Their record is not out yet, but I'm ready to buy it immediately.
Article in No Depression magazine wrote:If you were tuned in to Louisville, Kentucky’s WFPK Winter Wednesday segment featuring Amanda Shires yesterday, you were first to hear some big news: Shires is teaming up with Brandi Carlile and Margo Price for a supergroup called The Highwomen.

(If the name kind of brings to mind The Highwaymen — the ‘80s supergroup with Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson — well, yeah. The “High” in the name means “exalted,” Shires is quick to assure, not “stoned.”)

Shires said she and Carlile have written two songs for the project already, and she has also written for it with Jim Lauderdale. Sheryl Crow is expected to be involved in some way as well, as are other guests, Shires said in the interview with host Laura Shine. They plan to head into the studio in March....
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:05 pm Amanda Shires, Brandi Carlile, and Margo Price Team Up to Form The Highwomen

Their record is not out yet, but I'm ready to buy it immediately.
Article in No Depression magazine wrote:If you were tuned in to Louisville, Kentucky’s WFPK Winter Wednesday segment featuring Amanda Shires yesterday, you were first to hear some big news: Shires is teaming up with Brandi Carlile and Margo Price for a supergroup called The Highwomen.

(If the name kind of brings to mind The Highwaymen — the ‘80s supergroup with Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson — well, yeah. The “High” in the name means “exalted,” Shires is quick to assure, not “stoned.”)

Shires said she and Carlile have written two songs for the project already, and she has also written for it with Jim Lauderdale. Sheryl Crow is expected to be involved in some way as well, as are other guests, Shires said in the interview with host Laura Shine. They plan to head into the studio in March....
Sign. Me. The. Fuck. Up.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah I’m all in on that
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They need to go out on tour with boygenius.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Women seriously dominated good new music in 2018, huh?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yes they did
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Apparently shires spoke too soon about the highwomen
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bought tix to see Amos Lee in Louisville.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Fucking hell. I've never heard of this band, but YouTube recommended this video. Make sure you stay for the guitar solo. It keeps getting better and better.

Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

That's a rare Pink Floyd cover that's actually good. I know this is an incredibly subjective opinion but I think Gilmour is the greatest rock guitarist ever and most attempts to duplicate his guitar playing fall so far short of the original.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:24 pm Fucking hell. I've never heard of this band, but YouTube recommended this video. Make sure you stay for the guitar solo. It keeps getting better and better.

How do I fix my face after melting? Asking for a friend.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Joe K wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 pm That's a rare Pink Floyd cover that's actually good. I know this is an incredibly subjective opinion but I think Gilmour is the greatest rock guitarist ever and most attempts to duplicate his guitar playing fall so far short of the original.
I'm a huge Gilmour fan as well. Nobody ever conveyed more emotion with his guitar.

This dude did a great job of not trying to replicate Gilmour, but going his own way. And holy shit can that dude play.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Joe K wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 pm That's a rare Pink Floyd cover that's actually good. I know this is an incredibly subjective opinion but I think Gilmour is the greatest rock guitarist ever and most attempts to duplicate his guitar playing fall so far short of the original.
I’ll grant you his playing is unique but Gilmour is at best the third-best member of Pink Floyd ever at best. (Waters and Syd Barrett. Roger Mason is probably way underrated.)
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:21 pm
I’ll grant you his playing is unique but Gilmour is at best the third-best member of Pink Floyd ever at best. (Waters and Syd Barrett. Roger Mason is probably way underrated.)
Saying Syd Barrett is better than David Gilmour is the most vile and offensive thing that’s ever been posted on this site. I won’t argue with the Waters love; I prefer Gilmour as a musician but Roger’s humanitarian activism makes him one of my favorite celebrities.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

What about this take: Pink Floyd has at most three good songs.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 pm What about this take: Pink Floyd has at most three good songs.
It’s wrong.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Fearless is the greatest.

but this is great.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You guys convinced me!

Edit: no you didn’t. They suck.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:23 am You guys convinced me!

They tried to go all hipster and give you old Floyd. Anyway, Pink Floyd isn't really an individual songs band. They have some great songs, but really their stuff works much better in context of the albums. If you haven't listened to Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, or Wish You Were Here (probably the least concepty of those), you should fire up Spotify and give at least one of them a try. With good headphones.

BTW, I'm picking back up on my Weezer retrospective on Spotify. I completely forgot that I have listened to (and liked) Maladroit quite a bit. I'm pretty sure it's after that one that I lost touch with them.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 am

They tried to go all hipster and give you old Floyd. Anyway, Pink Floyd isn't really an individual songs band. They have some great songs, but really their stuff works much better in context of the albums. If you haven't listened to Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, or Wish You Were Here (probably the least concepty of those), you should fire up Spotify and give at least one of them a try. With good headphones.

BTW, I'm picking back up on my Weezer retrospective on Spotify. I completely forgot that I have listened to (and liked) Maladroit quite a bit. I'm pretty sure it's after that one that I lost touch with them.
I didn’t try to go hipster, fwiw. I just placed the nail to which you brought the hammer down upon.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 pm What about this take: Pink Floyd has at most three good songs.
I won't go as far as AB, but I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd, either. Never understood the love.

Having said that, I have a couple good friends who are die-hards, and they both pray at the altar of Roger Waters, not Gilmour.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 am

I have Dark side of the moon going, because hey, I'm gonna try this. So far I have made it to "on the Run" and if anything my feelings are becoming more intensely anti-Pink Floyd. That was a like a weird EDM thing. And then inexplicable silence for much too many seconds.

Stay Tuned. Time up next, which I have obviously heard.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Time is...fine. There is probably a decent song in there but there's a lot of shit that I guess is just explained as "Pink Floyd, man..."

I really should have gotten high.

So far, "The Great GIg in the sky" could be a james bond theme song. Why is ella Fitzgerald wailing?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Money...well that's one of them I kinda like. The extra stuff (cash register/change dropping) works better than some of the other i dunno, experimental stuff.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I did like the guitar work on "any colour you like" towards the end. And I get that there's a motif that runs through all the songs. That's fine and all, but man, give me The Hazards of Love any day.

"Brain Damage" is obviously one of the songs I know as well, and it's always been one that I just don't care for.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

If you don’t want the full-on Pink Floyd experience and want to some of their more “normal” rock songs, I’d say The Wall is the best album to listen to. There’s some weird filler because it’s set up as a rock opera but also lots of great songs like Comfortably Numb, Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2, Run Like Hell, Young Lust, Hey You, etc.

If you want the full-on Pink Floyd experience with lots of long tracks and more instrumental stuff, try Wish You Were Here or Animals.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:07 am If you don’t want the full-on Pink Floyd experience and want to some of their more “normal” rock songs, I’d say The Wall is the best album to listen to. There’s some weird filler because it’s set up as a rock opera but also lots of great songs like Comfortably Numb, Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2, Run Like Hell, Young Lust, Hey You, etc.

If you want the full-on Pink Floyd experience with lots of long tracks and more instrumental stuff, try Wish You Were Here or Animals.
Back when I was full of angst and THC, I loved Pink Floyd.

Nowadays, there's only one album that I will listen to - "Animals" is great.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm an Animals/Meddle man.

Fearless is my jam.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?