Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm I also think "Scentless Apprentice" is possibly Nirvana's best song ahead of "Smells Like Teen Spirit", but I realize I'm well in the minority on that.

I won't beat a dead horse because it's only an opinion and they're both great albums, but I think the song writing is just much better/stronger on In Utero. One of the reasons Cobain's death sucked so much beyond the obvious is that I think Nirvana was actually getting better and there's no telling what they might have been able to do had he lived. They could have been up there with the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, up in that stratosphere. I really believe that.
I think the tension would've proven too much. Particularly when you have otherwise healthy guys making 1/4 of what the addict was making, and their efforts are fueling his life choices.

They'd have put out another record, but Grohl would've been drawn into other work other musicians (QOTSA, for example), and Cobain would've gone the route of a Neil Young.
EXCERPT FROM 'HEAVIER THAN HEAVEN' BY CHARLES R. CROSS
Page 241: "When the band signed their original publishing deal, Kurt had agreed to evenly split songwriting royalties with Novoselic and Grohl. This was generous, but at the time no one imagined the record would sell millions. With the phenomenal success of 'Nevermind', Kurt insisted these percentages be shifted to give him the bulk of the revenue - he proposed a 75/25 split on the music, with him getting 100 percent of the lyrics - and he wanted the agreement to be retroactive. "I think once 'Nevermind' was playing itself out, Kurt began to realize that [publishing contracts] weren't just theoretical documents; that this was real money," observed attorney Alan Mintz. "The publishing splits meant lifestyle issues." Krist and Dave felt betrayed that Kurt wanted the new deal to be retroactive, but they eventually agreed, thinking the other option was dissolving the band. Kurt had resolutely told Rosemary Carroll-now simultaneously serving as lawyer for Kurt, Courtney, and Nirvana - he would break up the band if he didn't get his way. Though Grohl and Novoselic blamed Courtney, Carroll remembered Kurt being unmovable on the issue. "His focus was laser-like," she observed. "He was very clear and very persistent, and knew to the penny what he was talking about. He knew what he was worth, and he knew he deserved all the money, [since] he wrote all the lyrics and the music."
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

If you count Broken, and I do, The Downward Spiral is Nine Inch Nails's third album.

Tool's third album was Lateralus, arguably their best album (although I might go with Ænima).
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The first two songs from the new DIIV album (Taker *released today on Spotify* and Skin Game) are pretty fucking awesome. Always felt they were criminally underrated.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I like their sound but they annoy me. Seem super image-y.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Her new album is excellent.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I know a lot of you guys are fans, but fuck Weezer when they do a cover. I'm driving in, and I hear a cover of "Billie Jean", and I said to myself, "this has to be Weezer, this is arranged just like the original". I can't stand that shit. Every cover doesn't have to be IZ or Johnny Cash, but the difference between that and Chris Cornell's cover is that there's something new or different. When Weezer covers, it's exactly just the same song. That's the musical equivalent of jerking it into a sock. Even Marilyn Manson puts his own spin on his covers. If there's such a thing a hate-listen, I did that all last summer with their bullshit cover of "Africa". It's not fucking cute.

Fuck you, Rivers Cuomo. And while you're at it, fuck Ryan Adams, too, for that cheeseball cover of Taylor Swift's album.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:17 am And while you're at it, fuck Ryan Adams, too, for that cheeseball cover of Taylor Swift's album.
Fuck Ryan Adams for a whole bunch of reasons..not just the Taylor Swift cover album.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I am still so sad that it turned out Ryan Adams is such a shitheel. I mean, he was always troubled, but in a halfway endearing way. I still love his stuff, but now I feel dirty when it comes up on my random plays.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Holy shit, I've never seen this before

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Why do the people have to keep applauding and wooing throughout the song. Are they congratulating a professional singer for hitting a note?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A good read on the 45th anniversary of Randy Newman's "Good Old Boys" and the 15th anniversary of Drive-By Truckers "The Dirty South".

(I go back and forth on DBT's best album between Southern Rock Opera and Dirty South, but these days I think it is the latter.)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:31 am Why do the people have to keep applauding and wooing throughout the song. Are they congratulating a professional singer for hitting a note?
You must be a real joy at a concert!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Uhhh ... he's still only reached base once in five plate appearances."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:26 am Holy shit, I've never seen this before

I like Chris Cornell, but there are certain songs that you just have to leave alone. I'm not sure even Dolly should sing that one anymore after what Whitney did with it.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sturgill Simpson is going in a WHOLE new direction...

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:16 pm
Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:26 am Holy shit, I've never seen this before

I like Chris Cornell, but there are certain songs that you just have to leave alone. I'm not sure even Dolly should sing that one anymore after what Whitney did with it.
We differ here because I think dolly can do whatever she wants with her own song and really any song. Dolly is a treasure!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Dolly can sing. Whitney Houston just shout-sang. Like a flat sounding opera singer. Powerful voice =/= great voice.

^that's one of my nobody-ever-really-agreed-with opinions of mine I've held since I dunno...1988?
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

From the great 'Number Ones' feature over at Stereogum (https://www.stereogum.com/category/fran ... mber-ones/), today I found out that Frightened Rabbit and Craig Finn did a cover version of Elton John's 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart', with Finn playing the Kiki Dee role.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:29 am The first two songs from the new DIIV album (Taker *released today on Spotify* and Skin Game) are pretty fucking awesome. Always felt they were criminally underrated.
mister d wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:31 pm I like their sound but they annoy me. Seem super image-y.
KEXP just played "Skin Game" ... really good. Could have been from 20 years ago without sounding like it was trying to sound like it was from 20 years ago.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:13 pm Sturgill Simpson is going in a WHOLE new direction...

I love Sturgill, but he is doing his damnedest to alienate a good chunk of his fans. That sounds like late-era ELO mixed with some synth new wave stuff.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Good for him, frankly.

I know you and I differ on this (and this is not meant to be as condescending as it sounds) but I don't want to hear an artist make the same record over and over again. At a certain point, I want to hear them take some risks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I respect the impulse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm Good for him, frankly.

I know you and I differ on this (and this is not meant to be as condescending as it sounds) but I don't want to hear an artist make the same record over and over again. At a certain point, I want to hear them take some risks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I respect the impulse.
Oh, I respect the impulse and the risk-taking, too. But, you can grow as an artist in less-radical steps, and frankly, I don't think that in this instance it is growth, anyway. I think (in this case) it's derivative and it's not what I want to listen to, so I'll not purchase this offering.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That call out may have been for me and, related, I just don’t love the new Bon Iver. Give me five iterations of For Emma spaced out over a decade and I would have been happy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It was directed at SanCarlos. We’ve agreed to disagree on Wilco and I imagine a few other bands. I get the instinct to want more of the same and I wouldn’t want Drive-By Truckers to start making techno, but I like to see artists stretch themselves sometimes.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think this lastest Sturgill joint was as much about the animation as the music. Just a different kind of project. And shit his latest studio album before that was a concept album basically.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:52 pm
brian wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm Good for him, frankly.

Oh, I respect the impulse and the risk-taking, too. But, you can grow as an artist in less-radical steps, and frankly, I don't think that in this instance it is growth, anyway. I think (in this case) it's derivative and it's not what I want to listen to, so I'll not purchase this offering.
You could argue that his last album was a pretty big departure from the previous one, with the addition of the horn section.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also Sturgill early stuff which you can find on YouTube is weird as shit and not what people fell in love with him for. This is his thing. Doing different shit.

(Also maybe DiS has me hidden since I said basically same thing?)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Was thinking about this at the concert last night and assume you could only ever listen to the music from musicians from one state and one state only and you can't choose California or New York*?

I think for me it would be North Carolina and it would be a pretty easy decision -- The Mountain Goats, Iron & Wine, Superchunk, the Avett Brothers, Hiss Golden Messenger, Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown, American Aquarium and a few others I'm probably forgetting.

* - I'm using from or associated with fairly loosely, but I think it's fair to say all of the above are from NC or based there, just like Drive-By Truckers are "from" both Alabama and Georgia.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Georgia or Louisiana are likely pretty high on my list, although NC also has Ben Folds and Archers of Loaf.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:45 pm Was thinking about this at the concert last night and assume you could only ever listen to the music from musicians from one state and one state only and you can't choose California or New York*?

I think for me it would be North Carolina and it would be a pretty easy decision -- The Mountain Goats, Iron & Wine, Superchunk, the Avett Brothers, Hiss Golden Messenger, Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown, American Aquarium and a few others I'm probably forgetting.

* - I'm using from or associated with fairly loosely, but I think it's fair to say all of the above are from NC or based there, just like Drive-By Truckers are "from" both Alabama and Georgia.
You could add Rhiannon Giddens/Carolina Chocolate Drops and Caitlin Cary to NC, too.

Texas would be a solid contender, too (at least for music I like), with all the Austin-based acts. Texas would include Steve Earle, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Vaughan, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Old 97s, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Joe Ely, Lighting Hopkins, Freddie King, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Doug Sahm, Roky Erickson, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Pantera, ZZ Top, Reckless Kelly, Cody Canada, Nancy Griffith...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Willie and Waylon, too!

Edit: Dang, Buddy Holly, Beyonce, George Jones, George Strait (his early stuff is great), Kris Kristofferson, Miranda Lambert...
Last edited by A_B on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:43 pm
brian wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:45 pm Was thinking about this at the concert last night and assume you could only ever listen to the music from musicians from one state and one state only and you can't choose California or New York*?

You could add Rhiannon Giddens/Carolina Chocolate Drops and Caitlin Cary to NC, too.

Texas would be a solid contender, too (at least for music I like), with all the Austin-based acts. Texas would include Steve Earle, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Vaughan, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Old 97s, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Joe Ely, Lighting Hopkins, Freddie King, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Doug Sahm, Roky Erickson, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Pantera, ZZ Top, Reckless Kelly, Cody Canada, Nancy Griffith...
Spoon, Willie, Waylon, Georges Jones and Strait, Ben Kweller, Okkervil River, Explosions in the Sky, White Denim, The Gourds, Todd Snider (I'm claiming him), Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Randy Rogers Band, Mars Volta, Jerry Jeff Walker, Billy Preston, etc.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Black Angels and This Will Destroy You too. I could be swayed to Texas.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Spoon, Willie, Waylon, Georges Jones and Strait, Ben Kweller, Okkervil River, Explosions in the Sky, White Denim, The Gourds, Todd Snider (I'm claiming him), Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Randy Rogers Band, Mars Volta, Jerry Jeff Walker, Billy Preston, etc.
If you claim Snider, you got to claim Ryan Bingham, too!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't know how I forgot a lot of those people...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm thinking to be a true thought experiment you might need to exclude Texas from the list as well as Cali and NY.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:25 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm

If you claim Snider, you got to claim Ryan Bingham, too!
Good point!

Ryan Bingham!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:27 pm I'm thinking to be a true thought experiment you might need to exclude Texas from the list as well as Cali and NY.
Yeah, that's true. Gets really interesting who #4 is though. There's other candidates than those mentioned already.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I imagine Washington is up there.