Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 15233
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Getting the spins

Post by rass » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:22 pm

Like the musical vibes DiFranco is giving off on her new album

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by wlu_lax6 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:02 am

The NHL thread talk about Chinese Democracy reminded me I heard this news a week or so ago.
https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-rel ... um-in-2021

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Shirley » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:40 am

I've tried a couple of times to like Phoebe Bridgers. Her albums are a style I like (sort of a female Elliott Smith), but I just find them boring and can't make it to the end.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:09 am

Try Julien Baker?
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8904
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by govmentchedda » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:46 pm

I really think boygenius may be the apex of all of their stuff thus far. Well, that album (maybe it's just a long EP), and Kyoto. I fucking love Kyoto.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Getting the spins

Post by brian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:48 pm

Maybe you should listen to Punisher in reverse order then, because "I Know The End" and "ICU" rock 10x harder than anything Elliott Smith ever did.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Getting the spins

Post by brian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:57 pm

And I'd say Better Oblivion Community Center (Phoebe and Conor Oberst) is at least as good as her solo stuff and boygenius.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 8904
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by govmentchedda » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:55 pm

brian wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:57 pm
And I'd say Better Oblivion Community Center (Phoebe and Conor Oberst) is at least as good as her solo stuff and boygenius.
Yeah, I'll give you that.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:56 am

Echo & the Bunnymen would have been bigger if their name weren't so stupid.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:37 pm

mister d wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:56 am
Echo & the Bunnymen would have been bigger if their name weren't so stupid.
Nah. FM radio was garbage in the 80s, and the only satellite radio systems piped music into restaurants.

They were huge in England because music is better appreciated over there.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:22 pm

But bands of that era did and have gotten big. They'd be bigger with a better or more simple name. Their name is "shite".
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Getting the spins

Post by A_B » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:26 pm

mister d wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:22 pm
But bands of that era did and have gotten big. They'd be bigger with a better or more simple name. Their name is "shite".
If only they had fought some foo in their younger days they would have been hits.


Well that, and having a member of an already megafamous band as the front man.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:42 pm

The search says I've done this in real life and not here, but that's another one on the list: If the Foo Fighters were exactly the same in every way except Nirvana never existed, do they ever get noticed or huge?
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 pm

mister d wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:22 pm
But bands of that era did and have gotten big. They'd be bigger with a better or more simple name. Their name is "shite".
So...what other post-modern/alternative bands out of early 80s England enjoyed greater success stateside during that timeframe? The Cure? Who else?
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:39 pm

The Smiths?
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:42 pm

I don't know how narrow you're defining the genre, but anyone from like Depeche Mode through New Order? A shitload of british bands still got pretty huge during that era, no?

We had this mate who kept suggesting all these names like The Daz Men or Glisserol and the Fan Extractors. Echo and the Bunnymen was one of them. I thought it was just as stupid as the rest.

When we have time travel, the same band is going to come out as Glisserol and they're going to be atleast one tier up in popularity and then I'll totally call you out here.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Getting the spins

Post by sancarlos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:49 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 pm
mister d wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:22 pm
But bands of that era did and have gotten big. They'd be bigger with a better or more simple name. Their name is "shite".
So...what other post-modern/alternative bands out of early 80s England enjoyed greater success stateside during that timeframe? The Cure? Who else?
Not sure about the 80s, but Foghat in the 70s and Bush in the 90s were English bands that did way better in the US than in their homeland.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:52 pm

I'm guessing as a 12 year old boy, Matt Berninger was taking notes on how he would sing if he grew up to have a booming baritone voice like Ian McCulloch. And lo and behold, he did!

Very similar sounds between Echo and The National. I'd cede that The National's Bryan Devendorf is on a whole other level drumming-wise than anybody Echo & the Bunnymen employed though. That guy's good.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:00 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:49 pm
EnochRoot wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 pm
mister d wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:22 pm
But bands of that era did and have gotten big. They'd be bigger with a better or more simple name. Their name is "shite".
So...what other post-modern/alternative bands out of early 80s England enjoyed greater success stateside during that timeframe? The Cure? Who else?
Not sure about the 80s, but Foghat in the 70s and Bush in the 90s were English bands that did way better in the US than in their homeland.
Bush's first LP was an ode to Alice and Chains' style of grunge. I guess England preferred their own Oasis & Blur around that time.

Didn't know Foghat scuffled in England though. Slow Ride was a staple of FM AOR my entire youth though.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by P.D.X. » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:09 pm

I'd put Depeche Mode and New Order in a different bucket than E & the BM. But I would put E & the BM in the same one as Simple Minds and Tears for Fears.

Not that that solves anything.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:52 pm
I'm guessing as a 12 year old boy, Matt Berninger was taking notes on how he would sing if he grew up to have a booming baritone voice like Ian McCulloch. And lo and behold, he did!

Very similar sounds between Echo and The National. I'd cede that The National's Bryan Devendorf is on a whole other level drumming-wise than anybody Echo & the Bunnymen employed though. That guy's good.
To clarify, my point is not at all to critique them, its the opposite. I think quality versus reputation, they skew heavy on the former.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by P.D.X. » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:12 pm

I mean, 'Duran Duran' comes from freaking Barbarella.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Getting the spins

Post by A_B » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:18 pm

I should be clear: never heard of the bunny people.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:22 pm

P.D.X. wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:12 pm
I mean, 'Duran Duran' comes from freaking Barbarella.
But it doesn't sound as stupid. Maybe this is a better way: If The National were the exact same but named "Bernsy and the Double Brothers", they would be far less popular.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by P.D.X. » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:25 pm

Sure but the Frontman and the BackingMusicians naming format is anachronistic from the get-got. Wasn't so much in the 80's.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:28 pm

mister d wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 pm
EnochRoot wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:52 pm
I'm guessing as a 12 year old boy, Matt Berninger was taking notes on how he would sing if he grew up to have a booming baritone voice like Ian McCulloch. And lo and behold, he did!

Very similar sounds between Echo and The National. I'd cede that The National's Bryan Devendorf is on a whole other level drumming-wise than anybody Echo & the Bunnymen employed though. That guy's good.
To clarify, my point is not at all to critique them, its the opposite. I think quality versus reputation, they skew heavy on the former.
I didn't think you were.

They were one of those early to mid 80s alt bands out of Britain like The Cure, The Teardrop Explodes, Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Joy Division / New Order, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan...who drew their inspiration from David Bowie.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:56 pm

One on the list I’ve never heard of so that’ll be my first listen tomorrow AM.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by EnochRoot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:18 pm

The suspense is killing me!
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 21715
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:23 am

I regret to inform you it was “not my thing”.
Steve of phpBB wrote:What are they going to do, though. Storm Congress? The Department of Justice building?

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Getting the spins

Post by sancarlos » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:24 pm

Nice article on bands based in red states trying to influence the political tides.

The Bottle Rockets, Lucero & Other Red-State Rockers Fight the Good Fight
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

"I'd rather give Deshaun Watson a massage than root for that fucking franchise." - Giff

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Shirley » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:55 pm

Listened to the new Lana Del Rey album. It's very Lana Del Rey. Good, but not her best work, probably,
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
The Dude
Posts: 5473
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Getting the spins

Post by DaveInSeattle » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:19 pm

The Hold Steady posted a playlist of songs that influenced or are mentioned on their new album...


User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Shirley » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:45 pm

The Echo and the Bunnymen talk in here got me to fire them up on Spotify today. One of those bands I know, but have never intentionally listened to. I played the album that's supposed to be their best, Ocean Rain. It has a few good songs, but there's also a LOT of crap on there. Reading about them, the lead singer sounds like an asshole who tried to start a feud with Bono and U2, implying they were only way more successful because they sold out and toured the US.

I decided to cleanse my palate with a different 1984 album - Reckoning. Just no comparison. Reckoning is fucking brilliant.
Totally Kafkaesque

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4186
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by P.D.X. » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm

Your album assessment is probably correct but The Killing Moon slays.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by EnochRoot » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:25 pm

Shirley wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:45 pm
The Echo and the Bunnymen talk in here got me to fire them up on Spotify today. One of those bands I know, but have never intentionally listened to. I played the album that's supposed to be their best, Ocean Rain. It has a few good songs, but there's also a LOT of crap on there. Reading about them, the lead singer sounds like an asshole who tried to start a feud with Bono and U2, implying they were only way more successful because they sold out and toured the US.

I decided to cleanse my palate with a different 1984 album - Reckoning. Just no comparison. Reckoning is fucking brilliant.
Ocean Rain isn't the best intro to Echo & the Bunnymen. The second side of that LP is brilliant, while yes, the first side is mostly meh.

YMMV, but I like Porcupine and Heaven Up Here a bit better than Ocean Rain. Porcupine specifically. That's the Echo LP to form an opinion about the band, IMO.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 23514
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Getting the spins

Post by brian » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:20 pm

Good pandemic-related jam here. Like if Japandroids were from Texas instead of Canada.


User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 17284
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Pruitt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:01 pm

P.D.X. wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm
Your album assessment is probably correct but The Killing Moon slays.
Even thinking of that song takes me back to a very, very bad time of my life. My first broken heart...

Haven't listened to them in many. many years. Used to love "The Cutter," but just thinking about them bums me out.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 17851
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Getting the spins

Post by A_B » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:02 am

I know he's persona non grata these days, but my twitter feed is filled with eric clapton because it's his birthday. And so many people are choosing "Wonderful Tonight" as a clip to include. He's got some bad songs, but I dislike that one with an irrational hatred.
This "Whoa, Nelly" is brought to you by Nelly's Organic candy bars. Tastes like the good stuff, without the bad stuff. Whoa, Nelly!

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6952
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Giff » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:54 am

brian wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:20 pm
Good pandemic-related jam here. Like if Japandroids were from Texas instead of Canada.

YES! They opened for Lucero and made a big deal about my Murder By Death shirt since they were label mates at the time. They're one of my current favorite bands and Twitter follows.

Also, realized yesterday I'll never hear "Chicago" without thinking of mister d.
Muh.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Getting the spins

Post by EnochRoot » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:31 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:01 pm
P.D.X. wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm
Your album assessment is probably correct but The Killing Moon slays.
Even thinking of that song takes me back to a very, very bad time of my life. My first broken heart...

Haven't listened to them in many. many years. Used to love "The Cutter," but just thinking about them bums me out.
I’m sorry that you have past emotions attached to them like that. That said, The Cutter is a fantastic way to start an album.
HaulCitgo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am
Enoch brought the goods.

Post Reply