Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

Post Reply
User avatar
DSafetyGuy
Donny
Posts: 2967
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Swamp Travel Guide

Post by DSafetyGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 11:50 am

Aside from Giff's recommendation of Torchy's, anyone else with suggestions? Going next weekend with some friends to get drunk and sweat for a few days.
Stick this in your trophy case.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4164
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Sabo » Fri May 23, 2014 12:03 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:Aside from Giff's recommendation of Torchy's, anyone else with suggestions? Going next weekend with some friends to get drunk and sweat for a few days.
For Houston? I'd recommend getting together with Giff.
Sorry, I just got out of the shower.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 9498
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by The Sybian » Fri May 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Sabo wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:Aside from Giff's recommendation of Torchy's, anyone else with suggestions? Going next weekend with some friends to get drunk and sweat for a few days.
For Houston? I'd recommend getting together with Giff.

Nobody sweats like Giff.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11307
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by A_B » Fri May 23, 2014 12:28 pm

You should drop by just to check on him at the least.
certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 9498
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by The Sybian » Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

AB_skin_test wrote:You should drop by just to check on him at the least.
Especially with Boko Haram still running around
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Giff
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4382
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Giff » Fri May 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Austin or Houston?
Muh.

User avatar
Gunpowder
The Dude
Posts: 5941
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am
Location: NAPES, FLURRDA
Contact:

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Gunpowder » Fri May 23, 2014 1:04 pm

If I have some time in Toronto tomorrow, where should I RAGE and where would Rob Ford be hanging
"Enjoyed this one," Gunpowder told the Burlington Observer. "But it's back to work tomorrow."

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Brontoburglar » Fri May 23, 2014 1:47 pm

rehab?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7277
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by degenerasian » Fri May 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Gunpowder wrote:If I have some time in Toronto tomorrow, where should I RAGE and where would Rob Ford be hanging
Could you make the Jays game against Oakland? Tons of bars and restaurants around the skydome.
Or go find Pruitt.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
Donny
Posts: 2967
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by DSafetyGuy » Fri May 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Giff wrote:Austin or Houston?
Austin.
Stick this in your trophy case.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11540
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Pruitt » Sat May 24, 2014 8:10 am

Gunpowder wrote:If I have some time in Toronto tomorrow, where should I RAGE and where would Rob Ford be hanging
Rob Ford is out of town drying out, and he tends to hang out in scummy bars and greasy spoons in Etobicoke, so the idea of a Rob Ford bar crawl isn;t really too enticing...

You could come watch my daughter's soccer team in an epic battle for second place. As one of the coaches, I am psyched.

And my wife and I are heading out for our anniversary dinner this evening, but...

Looks like the first really nice day of the year. Head to college street - start at Bathurst - walk around go west to Trinity Bellwoods area. Hit the Bellwoods brewery... some great restaurants on Dundas west... all easily accessible via street car or cab..

Like Deli? Hit Caplansky's on College. Want a cool cd store? Soundscapes a bit further west in the heart of what is still known as Little Italy but which is hip (in a good way). Siciliian ice cream for gelato and espresso too.

Enjoy the west end of the city. It is great this time of year.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Giff
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4382
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Giff » Tue May 27, 2014 2:41 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Giff wrote:Austin or Houston?
Austin.
Where are you staying? I've been busy at work, so not as much posting, so send a PM if you want. I'm sure to have several suggestions.
Muh.

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 5660
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:53 pm

What's the best way to get around DC for a road trip? GMaps says 295 from just south of Ballamer all the way through to Alexandria. That can't be right.

No earthly idea what time of day we'd be in the area, but it will likely be a weekday morning.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 13644
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by mister d » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:00 pm

Helicopter.
bfj wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am
My people call that Kishka.

ETA - we don't call weird dicks Kishka.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 10631
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by rass » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:08 pm

"Get around" means avoid in this context?

I usually end up just staying on 95/495, but I take great pains to schedule trips to make sure I'm no where near DC at rush hour. Yuck.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

tennbengal
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by tennbengal » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Ryan wrote:What's the best way to get around DC for a road trip? GMaps says 295 from just south of Ballamer all the way through to Alexandria. That can't be right.

No earthly idea what time of day we'd be in the area, but it will likely be a weekday morning.
Completely avoiding? On your way further south? If your goal is to completely avoid DC then:

If so, 95 to 895 to 97 to 301. Take 301 all the way through Maryland and it hooks you back up with 95 about 40 miles north Richmond. 301 is 4-lane highway, lights, etc. But depending on day and time, avoids the Baltimore and DC traffic morass.

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 5660
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Going all the way to Florida. We did this 3 years ago but stayed with family in DC, so I didn't get to circumvent.

301 looks like it goes all the way to Richmond. If you kind of follow the shortest path though, it turns into 207 and hits I95 between Fred'burg and Richmond. I assume that's what you were thinking. Google says that whole thing only adds 15 minutes vs. the 95/Beltway route so you're in the lead, I think.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 10631
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by rass » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:18 pm

I got my one and only speeding ticket on 301 in Maryland. It was North of the Bay Bridge, though.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 5362
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by wlu_lax6 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:47 pm

Ryan wrote:What's the best way to get around DC for a road trip? GMaps says 295 from just south of Ballamer all the way through to Alexandria. That can't be right.

No earthly idea what time of day we'd be in the area, but it will likely be a weekday morning.
From the North be agile. 95/495 or 295 or 301 are all route. Traffic stinks going to the city so you will want to try and skip rush hour, but if you are not going to DC keep an eye on 301 as you will miss most of the DC Traffic via that approach

tennbengal
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by tennbengal » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:07 am

Ryan wrote:Going all the way to Florida. We did this 3 years ago but stayed with family in DC, so I didn't get to circumvent.

301 looks like it goes all the way to Richmond. If you kind of follow the shortest path though, it turns into 207 and hits I95 between Fred'burg and Richmond. I assume that's what you were thinking. Google says that whole thing only adds 15 minutes vs. the 95/Beltway route so you're in the lead, I think.
Yup, jogging over to 95 like you have ID'd is what I do south of Fredricksburg - staying 301 all the way into Richmond is not necessary. With my daughter at Guilford for college, I have made the route I laid out my default means of getting around DC when I have to make the drive during daylight hours.

User avatar
Shirley
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4827
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Shirley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:57 am

Definitely use Google Maps on your phone, if that's an option. With their recent acquisitions, Google has gotten very good at recognizing exactly where bad traffic starts and stops and then routing around it.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11307
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by A_B » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:06 am

I use the Waze app for that too. It's crowdsourced by people actually on the roads.
certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

tennbengal
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4479
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by tennbengal » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:22 am

+1 on Waze. Hugely helpful on long road trips.

User avatar
Shirley
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4827
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Shirley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:52 am

AB_skin_test wrote:I use the Waze app for that too. It's crowdsourced by people actually on the roads.
Google bought them and integrates that data into Google Maps. That way you get the data without the annoying Waze interface or prompts to Facebook where you are at any moment.

Google already had pretty decent traffic and accident data, but the purchase of Waze made it even more precise.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11307
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by A_B » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:52 am

Shirley wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:I use the Waze app for that too. It's crowdsourced by people actually on the roads.
Google bought them and integrates that data into Google Maps. That way you get the data without the annoying Waze interface or prompts to Facebook where you are at any moment.

Google already had pretty decent traffic and accident data, but the purchase of Waze made it even more precise.
Did not know that!
certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

User avatar
Shirley
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4827
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Shirley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:54 am

AB_skin_test wrote:
Shirley wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:I use the Waze app for that too. It's crowdsourced by people actually on the roads.
Google bought them and integrates that data into Google Maps. That way you get the data without the annoying Waze interface or prompts to Facebook where you are at any moment.

Google already had pretty decent traffic and accident data, but the purchase of Waze made it even more precise.
Did not know that!
Yup. And it made Google Maps noticeably better. http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/20/google ... t-reports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 9498
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by The Sybian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:40 am

Plus Google Maps gives you directions to GPJ's erections.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 10631
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by rass » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:47 am

The Sybian wrote:Plus Google Maps gives you directions to GPJ's erections.
Meat Wayzer
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 5660
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:01 am

Alright, heading out around 12:30 this afternoon for Florida. How far will we make it today before stopping? Closest town guess gets $wampbuck$. Some things to consider:

3 and 6 year olds in the back seat.
Will probably want to stop by 8 PM
Going for the Tappan Zee-Garden State-Turnpike/95 route
We like Hampton Inns

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4164
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Sabo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:25 am

Newark, Delaware

ETA:
Ryan wrote:We like Hampton Inns
I would like them more if their free breakfast didn't consist entirely of powdered eggs, microwave bacon and those horrible fake cheese omelet things that taste like they have 4 tablespoons of salt in them.
Sorry, I just got out of the shower.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 10631
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by rass » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:28 am

Sabo wrote:Newark, Delaware
I'd say it's definitely worth the couple of extra hours to power through and get past DC tonight.

Fredericksburg or bust!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4164
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Sabo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:33 am

rass wrote:
Sabo wrote:Newark, Delaware
I'd say it's definitely worth the couple of extra hours to power through and get past DC tonight.

Fredericksburg or bust!
Well, there is a Hampton Inn in Stafford, VA. Just in case he busts while trying to get to Fredericksburg.
Sorry, I just got out of the shower.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 5604
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by govmentchedda » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:33 am

Your final destination tonight is the Hampton Inn & Suites Robbinsville in Robbinsville New Jersey.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 10631
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by rass » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:45 am

Sabo wrote:
rass wrote:
Sabo wrote:Newark, Delaware
I'd say it's definitely worth the couple of extra hours to power through and get past DC tonight.

Fredericksburg or bust!
Well, there is a Hampton Inn in Stafford, VA. Just in case he busts while trying to get to Fredericksburg.
Fucking sabo just pulled a Price is Right on me and topped my guess.


Hampton Inn Dumfries/Quantico!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 9498
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by The Sybian » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:03 am

Trick question with the Hampton Inn. First stop is Chelmsford, NH. 6 year old nearly has an accident, emergency stop necessary.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 5604
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by govmentchedda » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:04 am

I think you guys are greatly underestimating the amount of times children will need to stop on an afternoon/evening drive. And the traffic around NYC.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11540
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Pruitt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 am

I'm going with Richmond Virginia. Home to three Hampton Inns.

Just bring a lot of patience for the drive around DC. It ALWAYS sucks.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 13644
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by mister d » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:08 am

Unless you're receiving $100K upon reaching Florida, this isn't worth it. Turn around.
bfj wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am
My people call that Kishka.

ETA - we don't call weird dicks Kishka.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 10631
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by rass » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 am

govmentchedda wrote:I think you guys are greatly underestimating the amount of times children will need to stop on an afternoon/evening drive. And the traffic around NYC.
I was assuming that "stopping" meant "stopping for the day", otherwise, as you suggest, "things to consider" #s 2 through 4 are pretty much irrelevant.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4164
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Sabo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:19 am

rass wrote:Fucking sabo just pulled a Price is Right on me and topped my guess.


Hampton Inn Dumfries/Quantico!
I only knew that because I stayed at that hotel about 6-7 years ago!
Sorry, I just got out of the shower.

Post Reply