Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Giff »

Fuck dude.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Under the circumstances not gonna take any chances so gonna see a doctor tomorrow if it’s not better.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

On the bright side, at least you didn;t get sick until you got home.

Hope it's just a matter of some immodium and rest.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 am On the bright side, at least you didn;t get sick until you got home.

Immodium is usually a bad idea if you can be reasonably close to a toilet. Your body wants to get that bad stuff out. It means things are working, even if it is miserable.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 am On the bright side, at least you didn;t get sick until you got home.

Immodium is usually a bad idea if you can be reasonably close to a toilet. Your body wants to get that bad stuff out. It means things are working, even if it is miserable.
Was just going to say that.

Drink lots of water!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 am

It's all coming back to me now - you're right, that stuff is like a cork.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry about your vacation, Brian : (
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The endless flights and food poisoning or whatever the hell this is was well worth it. Thailand is awesome. Best part was there are basically no Americans there and getting the hell away from everything. Hard to get too much further away.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 pm The endless flights and food poisoning or whatever the hell this is was well worth it. Thailand is awesome. Best part was there are basically no Americans there and getting the hell away from everything. Hard to get too much further away.
young soccer players wrote:Hold my tank
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone have any recommendations for Cancun/Playa Del Carmen area? We are going to a wedding in Merida in February, and then will probably spend a week afterwards doing beach type stuff somewhere close. I've been to Cancun once, but it was ages ago (Fall of '89...was in a bar watching the World Series when the earthquake happened) so I'm sure things have changed radically.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:21 pm Anyone have any recommendations for Cancun/Playa Del Carmen area? We are going to a wedding in Merida in February, and then will probably spend a week afterwards doing beach type stuff somewhere close. I've been to Cancun once, but it was ages ago (Fall of '89...was in a bar watching the World Series when the earthquake happened) so I'm sure things have changed radically.
Was here for a wedding three years ago. (The same friends I was visiting in Thailand actually.).

It’s pretty spectacular. Food and drinks were way better than any all-inclusive I’ve ever been to.

https://www.eldoradosparesorts.com
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We stayed at a small hotel a half block off of 5th Avenue (the main shopping/dining/nightlife drag) in Playa Del Carmen. It was owned by a couple of US ex-pats, and they had an agreement with a number of the beachfront hotels that got us beach access and some amenities (chairs and umbrellas). That left us on our own for food, drinks and entertainment, but in the middle of everything so we could walk to just about anything we might want to do. I'd highly recommend staying in that area vs some of the big resorts that are more removed. There are definitely more luxurious or resort-y options in Playa Del Carmen proper than what we chose.

Note this was all 2010 (found a sports bar to watch the USMNT lose to Ghana) so I have no idea what current conditions are down there.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 am now accepting your best "maximize your all-inclusive resort" stay tips

leaving next week for two days in Miami and 5 in the DR
the trip is not gonna lead to a breakup!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:50 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 am now accepting your best "maximize your all-inclusive resort" stay tips

So, you already broke up?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:52 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:50 pm

So, you already broke up?
day before

(no, all is well. and I drank way too much presidente)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Mrs. Sabo and I are considering going to Ireland sometime in 2019. I spent two weeks there in 1994, but I rarely strayed from Dublin. Any suggestions from Swampers who've been there in recent years?

We almost certainly will go to the southwest part of Ireland, as that's where her family originated and she's on a big ancestry kick at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Sabo wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 am Mrs. Sabo and I are considering going to Ireland sometime in 2019. I spent two weeks there in 1994, but I rarely strayed from Dublin. Any suggestions from Swampers who've been there in recent years?

We almost certainly will go to the southwest part of Ireland, as that's where her family originated and she's on a big ancestry kick at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
mrs. cerrano went in 2015 for 2 weeks and had the best time. we rented a car (which is somewhat expensive due to the insurance you have to purchase because your cc travel insurance is not applicable) which was entirely worth it as opposed to a bus tour. rock of cashel was pretty cool and my wife got into arguments with who we believe to be long lost relatives in the pubs in cashel. cork was nice for a homebase to visit cobh and kinsale. for my money, the dingle peninsula was the highlight of the two weeks we spent in ireland. there was a drive you could do to the purported most western point of europe, but the views on that drive were breathtaking. the west coast in general was just gorgeous. galway was 10 times better than dublin. the aran islands were a little overrated in my opinion due to the length of time involved in getting there. one of my favorite places was doolin near the cliffs of moher which we got to see in the evening sun, which was was rare according to our b&b proprietor. doolin was a great town for music but most of them were. go see the burren which is an environment unlike anything you've ever seen.

i would go back to ireland in a heartbeat. the people were the best part of the trip.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:21 pm Anyone have any recommendations for Cancun/Playa Del Carmen area? We are going to a wedding in Merida in February, and then will probably spend a week afterwards doing beach type stuff somewhere close. I've been to Cancun once, but it was ages ago (Fall of '89...was in a bar watching the World Series when the earthquake happened) so I'm sure things have changed radically.
Wife and I love Playa. May actually buy a condo there in Playacar. I much prefer Playa to Cancun, as it’s quieter and the beach is much better. 5th Avenue area is good for food/shopping/people watching. Watch out for hustlers, but it’s safe.

If you stay on the beach, try to find somewhere a bit away from the ferry pier, as the pier is huge and can get a little stinky near there. We like the southern end of the beach, and have stayed multiple times at the Sandos resort there. It’s right next to public beach area, where there will be a bunch of good kite surfers to watch.

If you just want to hang out on a quiet beach, the iberostar complex in Paraiso Maya is also nice, though it’s one of the places there were issues with bad drinks/alcohol last year.

Honestly, when we go, we only leave the beach to eat dinner and sleep. Beach bars have drinks and food, so we just hang out there all day.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Other nice thing about playa is the ferry ride to Cozumel is cheap and easy, so it’s fun to go over for a day trip.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

cerrano wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:42 pm
Sabo wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 am Mrs. Sabo and I are considering going to Ireland sometime in 2019. I spent two weeks there in 1994, but I rarely strayed from Dublin. Any suggestions from Swampers who've been there in recent years?

Thanks in advance.
mrs. cerrano went in 2015 for 2 weeks and had the best time. we rented a car (which is somewhat expensive due to the insurance you have to purchase because your cc travel insurance is not applicable) which was entirely worth it as opposed to a bus tour. rock of cashel was pretty cool and my wife got into arguments with who we believe to be long lost relatives in the pubs in cashel. cork was nice for a homebase to visit cobh and kinsale. for my money, the dingle peninsula was the highlight of the two weeks we spent in ireland. there was a drive you could do to the purported most western point of europe, but the views on that drive were breathtaking. the west coast in general was just gorgeous. galway was 10 times better than dublin. the aran islands were a little overrated in my opinion due to the length of time involved in getting there. one of my favorite places was doolin near the cliffs of moher which we got to see in the evening sun, which was was rare according to our b&b proprietor. doolin was a great town for music but most of them were. go see the burren which is an environment unlike anything you've ever seen.

i would go back to ireland in a heartbeat. the people were the best part of the trip.
This is awesome advice. We almost certainly will rent a car instead of doing any kind of organized tour, so knowing about the insurance is very helpful.

Yes, I hope to spend a lot more time outside of Dublin than my last trip. Dublin is a great city, but I'd much prefer to see the countryside. The little I saw was pretty amazing, and it's easy to understand why Ireland is called the Emerald Isle.

Thanks again!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks in advance.
It's been even longer since I was in Ireland (17 years ago, vs my previously mentioned absence from Mejico), and my wife's extended family is from the opposite corner of the country (technically a different country, I guess), but if you have some free time I can't recommend County Down enough. It's beautiful. Though at that time things were still "troubles"-ome enough that our Newry-bound train, on a line eventually terminating in Belfast, got stopped so they could check the tracks for possible tampering (pre-9/11 when terrorism was still quaint).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Sabo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:07 am
cerrano wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks in advance.

This is awesome advice. We almost certainly will rent a car instead of doing any kind of organized tour, so knowing about the insurance is very helpful.

Yes, I hope to spend a lot more time outside of Dublin than my last trip. Dublin is a great city, but I'd much prefer to see the countryside. The little I saw was pretty amazing, and it's easy to understand why Ireland is called the Emerald Isle.

Thanks again!
if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. i love talking about our trip because it was my first outside of the us and it was better than i could ever imagine.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For the first time in 26 years, there's a new US Interstate highway.

The first stretch of I-11 opened today south of Las Vegas. Eventually, it'll run from Mexico to Canada, but the immediate priority is the Las Vegas to Phoenix stretch. (Las Vegas and Phoenix are the only two cities in the United States with more than a million people not connected by an interstate highway.)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:25 pm For the first time in 26 years, there's a new US Interstate highway.

The first stretch of I-11 opened today south of Las Vegas. Eventually, it'll run from Mexico to Canada, but the immediate priority is the Las Vegas to Phoenix stretch. (Las Vegas and Phoenix are the only two cities in the United States with more than a million people not connected by an interstate highway.)
I wonder if they'll ever get around to finishing I-73. I remember sitting in local committee meetings in my first reporter job about that interstate, which I think was supposed to run from Mackinac Island (I think) to Myrtle Beach.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Does the 26 years mean brand new roadway? Cause I think I-14 is a new interstate but it took over an existing US highway that was improved.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 pm Does the 26 years mean brand new roadway? Cause I think I-14 is a new interstate but it took over an existing US highway that was improved.
Yeah, probably then. This section was all newly constructed though some of the LV to Phoenix route will use existing US-93 roadway though it'll have to be upgraded to interstate standards.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Anyone done an Alaska cruise?

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sabo wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:38 pm
brian wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:25 pm For the first time in 26 years, there's a new US Interstate highway.

I wonder if they'll ever get around to finishing I-73. I remember sitting in local committee meetings in my first reporter job about that interstate, which I think was supposed to run from Mackinac Island (I think) to Myrtle Beach.
I-75 runs from Mackinac down through Atlanta and I don't know where it ends.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Miami, baby!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just north of
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:10 am Anyone done an Alaska cruise?
My former supervisor.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:25 amMiami, baby!
I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic because he lives in Florida or what, but I have to respect the fact that I'm a map geek and at one point in my life could have told you the terminus (terminuses/termini?) of every primary interstate in the country. (For example, I remember I-94 runs from Detroit, MI to Coeur d'Alene, ID).
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:34 amI'm a map geek and at one point in my life could have told you the terminus (terminuses/termini?) of every primary interstate in the country. (For example, I remember I-94 runs from Detroit, MI to Coeur d'Alene, ID).
Do Interstate 10.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:39 am
brian wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:34 amI'm a map geek and at one point in my life could have told you the terminus (terminuses/termini?) of every primary interstate in the country. (For example, I remember I-94 runs from Detroit, MI to Coeur d'Alene, ID).
Do Interstate 10.
Oh, that's a cool one!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:29 am
My former supervisor.
OK, thank you

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:39 am
Do Interstate 10.
Without looking isn't that Jacksonville to LA?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yeah, Santa Monica. I've been at both ends of that for probably a total of 5 miles and not a foot in between.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Easy trick to remember is that interstates are numbered from south to north and west to east. Even numbered are east/west and odd numbered are north/south. So the higher the number the further north or east it is. Etc., etc.

ETA: Also, the interstates ending in 0 (i.e. I-10, I-40, I-80, etc.) generally span the entire country.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Yeah, the 10 is Santa Monica to Jacksonville. It's also the only one I remember.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I did in June of 2017. I recommend the experience but not the particular cruise line...Royal Caribbean in this case. What do you want to know?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?