Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by sancarlos »

Having grown up in Colorado, I'm always nostalgic for mountains. Luckily, we get to them often.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

degenerasian wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:45 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:09 am Holy shit - almost forgot how completely awe-inspiring the mountains are.

Just back from a week in the Alberta Rockies and went from looking out the bedroom window at hikers walking towards the mountains to seeing old guys in black suits walking to synagogue for morning prayers.

I want to go back already.
But you have lakes and cottages.
Yeah, they are nice too.

But mountains.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

In Asheville now, (Black Mountain, technically), and I concur. Mountains are the tits.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Washington/Alaska starting Saturday. Hope to see some mountains.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I get to see some in about 76 hours and our desire for our destined Colorado move will grow exponentially.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Luckily my desk isn't 10 feet to the left. If it was I'd just stare at the Flatirons (mountain group in front of the Rockies) all day.

I love seeing the Rockies, but I do miss the Green Mountains and Adirondacks.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Important update: Bend, OR is pretty damn amazing. We just got back from 4 days there, and did hiking, mountain biking, water stuff (kayaking and paddle boarding), and lots of beer drinking, including a bike pub crawl.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:14 pm Important update: Bend, OR is pretty damn amazing. We just got back from 4 days there, and did hiking, mountain biking, water stuff (kayaking and paddle boarding), and lots of beer drinking, including a bike pub crawl.
It was pretty damn amazing when I was there in 1998. I can't fathom how much that town has grown in the last 20 years. It was growing like gangbusters when I was there.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:14 pm Important update: Bend, OR is pretty damn amazing. We just got back from 4 days there, and did hiking, mountain biking, water stuff (kayaking and paddle boarding), and lots of beer drinking, including a bike pub crawl.
One of my favorite cities...has a little bit of everything. I could easily live there.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:25 pm
It was pretty damn amazing when I was there in 1998. I can't fathom how much that town has grown in the last 20 years. It was growing like gangbusters when I was there.
My GF's daughter is living there, working at Hydroflask. The daughter's boyfriend, who is also working at Hydroflask is a native, and we stayed with his parents. They were saying that when they bought their house, it was WAY out of town. Its not that way anymore. And they were also saying that the city, at times, feels almost 'overrun' with people during the summer. Easy to see why...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:56 pm
One of my favorite cities...has a little bit of everything. I could easily live there.
This was our third visit there, and we've always had a great time. We've been talking about possibly retiring there at some point.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:04 pm
Sabo wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:25 pm
My GF's daughter is living there, working at Hydroflask. The daughter's boyfriend, who is also working at Hydroflask is a native, and we stayed with his parents. They were saying that when they bought their house, it was WAY out of town. Its not that way anymore. And they were also saying that the city, at times, feels almost 'overrun' with people during the summer. Easy to see why...
Maybe they were saying...how bout a three day trip next time, DiS...
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We were in Bend, OR in June. Tried three of the (I was told) 30 brewpubs in town. Stayed at the super-cool McMenamin’s Old St. Francis School hotel. They have concert posters over all the walls. (It’s owned by concert promoters). Funky decor (our room had four odd light fixtures.) They host live music, and the hotel features some “secret” rooms (including a hidden door to a hidden small bar), like out of an old movie. Big fun.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm going to concerts in Phoenix (Calexico & Iron and Wine) on Friday, 8/16 and Los Angeles (Godspeed You! Black Emperor) on Saturday, 8/17 and just decided I do not feel like driving, so bought three one-way bus tickets on Flixbus (LAS>PHX>LAX>LAS).

Worth it to not have to deal with the hassle of driving and parking, but wondering if I just traded one hassle for another.

Anyway, pray for me.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:24 pm I'm going to concerts in Phoenix (Calexico & Iron and Wine) on Friday, 8/16 and Los Angeles (Godspeed You! Black Emperor) on Saturday, 8/17 and just decided I do not feel like driving, so bought three one-way bus tickets on Flixbus (LAS>PHX>LAX>LAS).

Worth it to not have to deal with the hassle of driving and parking, but wondering if I just traded one hassle for another.

Anyway, pray for me.
Watch out for crazy canadians.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:37 am Washington/Alaska starting Saturday. Hope to see some mountains.
Hey, Mount Rainier is here. Holy shit.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, the wife and I are going to Prague and Vienna the first two weeks of September. She has a to-do list already constructed, but I know some you guys have been thereabouts, so please tell me about suggested things to do or see she might not be including.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:38 pm
Ryan wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:37 am Washington/Alaska starting Saturday. Hope to see some mountains.
Hey, Mount Rainier is here. Holy shit.
We were hiking in the North Cascades a couple of days ago. It was like the Alps.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:22 pm So, the wife and I are going to Prague and Vienna the first two weeks of September. She has a to-do list already constructed, but I know some you guys have been thereabouts, so please tell me about suggested things to do or see she might not be including.
I’m weird but I got a local rec for a good subway stop where there is still mostly Soviet architecture and did a walking tour in the area. Prague Castle is a gimme. Wenceslas Square the same.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's been twenty years since I studied in Prague, but I definitely suggest, the castle, the Charles bridge, Wenceslas square, Old town square. If I were going, I'd book a walking tour with Taste of Prague. I follow them on Instagram, even if most of their fees is the owners and their adorable son traveling the rest of Europe.

Vienna reminded me of DC. It was very clean and many buildings were white marble. The aesthetic of the two cities is quite different.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

For Prague, I also recommend visiting Vysehrad Cemetery. Many famous Czechs are buried there, and the cemetery is reportedly haunted. The church next to the cemetery is very, very cool. There are support pillars inside the church and all four sides are painted with scenes of various Christian saints.

The Josefov section of downtown Prague is also the home to the oldest active synagogue in Europe. Hitler planned to make Josefov a "museum to an extinct race" and thus spared the synagogues there. It is not the most upbeat place you'll ever visit, but it's a great learning experience.

The National Museum, which is at the end of Wenceslas Square, is worth a visit. And if you go to the McDonald's near it, you can get a beer with your Big Mac and fries.

Also, don't eat or drink in the Old Town Square area. When I was there in 2000, food and drink prices were about 3-4x more expensive than if you go a couple of blocks away.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If it is available, I highly recommend drinking Velvet just for the pour alone
Wow, what a different beer. I have never seen a red beer do that. Like guiness but red.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/437/16271/
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

"Engaging" is not the word I would want to describe my experience at the torture museum!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Was in Prague a couple months ago and will echo what the others said. And to add on to Sabo's comment, Czech Rep is a great beer country that sometimes flies under the radar compared to Germany, etc.--Pilsner Urquell, (the original) Budweiser, and plenty of others.

Haven't been to Vienna in over a decade, but from what I remember can recommend the following:

- Hofburg and Schonbrunn Palaces, homes of the Habsburg emperors
- Belvedere complex
- Zentralfriedhof - huge cemetery, burial site of many famous people including Beethoven and other composers. I remember reading that Austrians have a different view of death than what we may be used to, and it feels more like a park than the typical grimness you'd associate with a cemetery. Mozart is buried at a smaller one called St. Marx.

Vienna has a great public transit system, maybe the best I've ever encountered. Clean, trains run on time and at frequent intervals, and plenty of stops close to places of interest. You can cover wide-ranging parts of the city in a day if you're up for it.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

In Skagway with internet. Gotta go bye.

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Ryan wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:25 pm In Skagway with internet. Gotta go bye.
Hoping to go back to Alaska next year. Can't wait!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Glaciers, rivers of salmon, bears, forests, icebergs, amazing little cities, bald eagles, like 500 humpback whales, a pod of baby orcas, etc.

It’s a good day when something small and simple comes as advertised. When you expect something big and it still blows away your expectations? That’s Alaska. Go if you can. Pictures coming in a few days.

Now watching the sunset from the Amtrak Cascades somewhere south of Bellingham. Man I’d live anywhere I’ve seen in the last two weeks if it wasn’t for the horrific impending tsunami doom.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Drew Magary on visiting New Orleans.

I co-sign. I mostly understand people not liking visiting Las Vegas though I suspect those people are fucking up their sight-seeing decisions, but I really don't trust anyone who doesn't love visiting New Orleans.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'd like to go back to Vegas for maybe a 4 day stint, where it's not on some kind of "we have to replicate a bad Vegas debauchery movie" type thing. I've only been there twice and it was just too focused on gambling, strip clubs and staying up all night... because.

I think I might actually like the place better with just my wife, because we crush travelling together in terms of a mix of doing shit and just chilling/relaxing... even in places like NYC and SFO, where you might feel compelled to get caught up in nonsense.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah the trouble with going to Las Vegas is that we are usually with other couples who want to focus on the Strip. And I’m not a big table gambler, or show-goer, so I get tired of the Strip after one night. If we did more sightseeing and relaxing I suspect I’d have more fun.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We do two nights on the Strip and two nights out at the resort on Lake Las Vegas where we were married. I don't do much gambling anymore (especially on the Strip), but wandering up and down the Strip while stopping for drinks in random places to people watch is pretty much why I go to, and love, Vegas.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Yeah, it's too bad you guys don't know a couple people on a message board who actually live in Vegas who give you recommendations outside the norm.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rams Fanny wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:22 pm Yeah, it's too bad you guys don't know a couple people on a message board who actually live in Vegas who give you recommendations outside the norm.
Brian has done well by me several times in different ways. The introduction of Carlito's Burritos to my life is #1.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rams Fanny wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:22 pm Yeah, it's too bad you guys don't know a couple people on a message board who actually live in Vegas who give you recommendations outside the norm.
Zero people said there was an issue finding things to do outside the norm.

As I said, my issue regards the other couples we have gone with to Vegas, who want to stick to the Strip.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:47 pm

As I said, my issue regards the other couples we have gone with to Vegas, who want to stick to the Strip.
That's not unusual either. Everyone can do their own thing, sometimes I play tourist and get drunk and gamble all day on the Strip too. But some people seem to think that's all there is to do in Las Vegas, which is crazy.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass wrote: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:45 am
Sabo wrote:
rass wrote:
Sabo wrote:Newark, Delaware
I'd say it's definitely worth the couple of extra hours to power through and get past DC tonight.

Fredericksburg or bust!
Well, there is a Hampton Inn in Stafford, VA. Just in case he busts while trying to get to Fredericksburg.
Fucking sabo just pulled a Price is Right on me and topped my guess.

Hampton Inn Dumfries/Quantico!
Fun Fact 1: I worked 2.5 miles away from that Hamton Inn
Fun Fact 2: I did the same New England to Florida drive with my mother and made it to the Hamton Inn at Richmond/Glenside (and traffic by Quantico sucked)
Fun Fact 3: I just realized I clicked on the first page of the thread instead of the last page.

Hope you had a nice trip 5 years ago, Ryan
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:54 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:47 pm

That's not unusual either. Everyone can do their own thing, sometimes I play tourist and get drunk and gamble all day on the Strip too. But some people seem to think that's all there is to do in Las Vegas, which is crazy.
Confirmed.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This may change some travel plans...

Chinese province closes all glass bridges over safety fears

Series of injuries and deaths prompts closure of 32 glass-bottomed attractions in Hebei
Hard no.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Just a general note on my wife and I’s last two weeks.

12/2 - Monday: I work 6hrs then travel from Huntsville to WV for a work meeting. Wife at home.
12/3 - Tuesday: All day in plant in WV, wife at home.
12/4 - Wednesday: Work in WV plant in morning, fly back to AL in PM. Wife flies to Vegas early in the day, from Nashville.
12/5-6 - Th/F: I work 12hrs at home plant, wife in conference in Vegas.
12/7 - Saturday: I fly out of Huntsville to Geneva in the early PM. Wife arrives back from Vegas.
12/8 - Sunday: I land in Geneva and drive to Montreux Switzerland for the evening. Wife at home.
12/9 - Monday: I audit a sister plant in Valais Switzerland, and have a work dinner in Sion where I have a hotel closer to the plant. Wife at home.
12/10 - Tuesday: Continue audit, finalize in evening and report out to plant manager, then drive 2.5 hrs back to Geneva. Wife at home.
12/11 - Wednesday: Early am flight from Geneva back to Huntsville. Connection through Charles de Gaulle is perilous due to national strike occurring in France. Nightmare lines for simple terminal transfers. Make plans to Atl with only a couple minutes to spare. Arrive in Huntsville at Gate 6 at 4:15pm, where my wife is waiting to board the plane I just got off going to atl then to Iowa. We had a hilarious 20 minutes in the Huntsville airport before she has to board and I drive home.
12/12 - Thursday: Me at plant for a long long day of catch up. Wife in Iowa.
12/12 - Friday: Full day at plant, wife flies home. Work Xmas party in the evening.

11 straight days where one, but only one, of us is at home. A weird 20 minute stretch where serendipity allows to at least see each other. A very brief and very exhausting European trip where I was in three hotels in three nights and managed to spend 24 hours on the floor in a foreign plant and drive 8 hrs total.

I’m worn the fuck out.

Oh, and if there is a possibility of a strike, avoid CDG like the plague.