Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:26 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm Thanks for the Summit Co. recs. We ventured out much less than I expected. Got stranded by a few hours of blizzard in Frisco whilst out procuring supplies on Friday, just after arrival.
I'm actually headed back out there in February. Picking up The Girl from DU and spending Prez Day Weekend up that way. Really looking forward to it. Hit Keystone for just a day trip last time, so will be able to explore a bit more and relax with The Wife for apres ski at a few places we scoped out.
Our timing was great. We arrived at DIA at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, and the shuttle got us to Keystone just after noon. Blizzard conditions started later, and no Ubers or Lyfts were out. Had to trudge around to find the bus stop near Outer Range Brewing in that mess. Made it back to the hotel about 2 hours later than expected. Didn't get back to Frisco to get to Native Roots, but did hit up whatever one is near Walmart by Outer Range. I wouldn't recommend it. Staff was kinda shitty.
If you're going up to Keystone, be careful on that stretch of highway between there and Arapahoe Basin. It gets icy.

(I totalled my car there last year. Its final resting place was in Silverthorne.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Loveland Pass. Terrifying stretch of road.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:08 pm Loveland Pass. Terrifying stretch of road.
Going over the pass was fine. We chose to go that way so we could see the Pass.

It was the nice and easy non-exposed part several miles down where we bought it. We slid across the road into the trees on the other side. The powder stopped us before we hit anything. Our airbags didn't even go off.

But what fucking chaos to have that happen while 400 miles from home. I was picking my son up from a very stressful final exam week, and he needed to get home, so we had to rent a car from the Hertz there and go on.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:26 pm Outer Range Brewing.
What did you think?

Along with Knotted Root and Weldwerks they're the holy Colorado trinity at the moment.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:27 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:26 pm Outer Range Brewing.
What did you think?

Along with Knotted Root and Weldwerks they're the holy Colorado trinity at the moment.
Never went in, as the bus was on time, and the wife and kids were waiting.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, been on Loveland Pass a bunch in non-snowy weather and thought about how scary it would be during a snow event. I'm renting skis in Silverthorne, so I'm avoiding that section of road regardless of weather conditions.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

F' West Virginians. I am a pretty new snowboarder. Year 3 for me and my kids. We don't get out that often but they are out of school Monday and Tuesday so we figure go for a bigger mountain then the ones in PA nearer to our place. Our local Hill in PA is super friendly. Resort folks are great. Ski patrol fantastic.

Here in WVA everyone is just a dick. Aggressive folks on green trails running my daughter down from behind and yelling at her. Folks working the resort could care less about hospitality. I get teens and early 20s can be punks but it really is everyone. People at the gas station on the drive out, shuttle bus guys (even after actually leaving a tip)

On the other hand big improvement in my skills today.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’d wager less than half of those people were from West Virginia.

But I also hate West Virginia so the point stands.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:21 pm I’d wager less than half of those people were from West Virginia.

But I also hate West Virginia so the point stands.
The ones who work here are. Loads of wv license plates a d mountaineer gear. Some Stillers and penguins jerseys. A few North Carolina plates.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Snowshoe? I had a shitty time there about 20 years ago.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:18 pm Snowshoe? I had a shitty time there about 20 years ago.
Yeah
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

My faith in Canadians has been restored in spades today. I don’t want to talk about French Canadians though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Snowshoe is really the only legit place to ski on the East Coast below Massachusetts, so... You kinda have to suck it up if you want black diamonds with more than a 60 second run time.

Camelback in the Poconos is OK.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:53 pm My faith in Canadians has been restored in spades today. I don’t want to talk about French Canadians though.
You in Florida by any chance?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:07 pm
brian wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:53 pm My faith in Canadians has been restored in spades today. I don’t want to talk about French Canadians though.
You in Florida by any chance?
Puerto Vallarta. The only real assholes we’ve met on this trip so far turned out to be French Canadian.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:35 pm Snowshoe is really the only legit place to ski on the East Coast below Massachusetts, so... You kinda have to suck it up if you want black diamonds with more than a 60 second run time.

Funny when everyone left Sunday afternoon it was way more pleasant. Today was mostly old retirees and families from Northern VA or DC where schools are out for the next few days for teachers learning stuff (one school had puppy therapy). Still not nearly as friendly as the PA local places, but good runs with the kids. My daughter and I dominated the beginner terrain park for most of the day.

Is Seven Springs worth the drive?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:06 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:35 pm Snowshoe is really the only legit place to ski on the East Coast below Massachusetts, so... You kinda have to suck it up if you want black diamonds with more than a 60 second run time.

Funny when everyone left Sunday afternoon it was way more pleasant. Today was mostly old retirees and families from Northern VA or DC where schools are out for the next few days for teachers learning stuff (one school had puppy therapy). Still not nearly as friendly as the PA local places, but good runs with the kids. My daughter and I dominated the beginner terrain park for most of the day.

Is Seven Springs worth the drive?
It's not worth a drive for ME, but it might be worth it if it's equidistant for you. I've heard it's better than Wisp (which I've been to over a dozen
times) but not as big as Showshoe.

Honestly, if you are still in the beginner space, probably not worth fretting btwn any of those. A few years down the road your kids are gonna want more than 2 or 3 decent black diamonds, which the issue with Liberty, Blue Knob, Whitetail, etc.

If they fall in love and get really good, you'll want to look at places like Killington and Jay Peak up in VT. Smugglers Notch is a blast for kids, and it's right next to Stowe.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wrapping up one of my favorite ski trips here in Keystone. My wife once again crushed the location, right near the village. Super crowded this weekend but not out on the slopes.

Nite skied for the first time in forever and fell back in love with that.

Tired as Hell, loved every minute.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

maui me please

(god I'm the first person to post in here since February? eeessssshhhhhh. upside it's super cheap and two of the four of us going are already vaccinated. the logistics of the pre-travel COVID test are not fun)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

eeessssshhhhhh

Flying?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

swimming

we're flying for free via points. time to do the mask over the n95 trick for 10 hours. it's actually cheaper via points to get to Maui from OAK than it is from here to OAK.

and we got a 2B/2B place on the beach for less than $300 a night, which feels like it would be impossible in a normal world

we're not going to be doing anything touristy that involves other people. beaches, hiking, and other outdoor stuff. we got a place specifically so we could eat at home vs. going out to eat anywhere too.

and I'm playing Kapalua's plantation course, price be damned. I figure I may not get a chance to do that ever again so I might as well do it.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hahahahhaa I misread “Maui” as “maul” as if you were asking to be given shit for traveling.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

how many drinks have you had????????

(I can see this especially if you were on a phone)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I got a test four days after I got home from my trip to New Mexico. It was a breeze, both in planning and in execution. (Negative). You might want to consider a test after you get home for your own peace of mind.

Imho, the Covid-riskiest part of a trip is right after the bell rings to allow you to get up and prepare to get off the plane. Everybody gets up and forgets about distancing as they crowd into the aisles! I suggest you get a KN-95 mask.

Does Maui have the strict rules like they do in Kauai? Do you have to quarantine after your arrive?

Maui is a great place. Check out my post on this page about swimming with manta rays. I suggest you look into it on your trip.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:10 pm swimming

we're flying for free via points. time to do the mask over the n95 trick for 10 hours. it's actually cheaper via points to get to Maui from OAK than it is from here to OAK.

and we got a 2B/2B place on the beach for less than $300 a night, which feels like it would be impossible in a normal world

we're not going to be doing anything touristy that involves other people. beaches, hiking, and other outdoor stuff. we got a place specifically so we could eat at home vs. going out to eat anywhere too.

and I'm playing Kapalua's plantation course, price be damned. I figure I may not get a chance to do that ever again so I might as well do it.
Renting clubs or taking your own? Jealous.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:20 pm Hahahahhaa I misread “Maui” as “maul” as if you were asking to be given shit for traveling.
Same.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:03 pm maui me please

(god I'm the first person to post in here since February? eeessssshhhhhh. upside it's super cheap and two of the four of us going are already vaccinated. the logistics of the pre-travel COVID test are not fun)
We had two stops in Maui when we did our Hawaiian cruise about 15 years ago. It was our least favorite of the islands we visited. Maui is beautiful and all, but it's very developed and touristy. My perception of it might be tainted because I was ill during both of our stops, so your mileage may vary.

Haleakala National Park is a must. Gorgeous scenery and views. There are several trails you can hike if you're so inclined. We didn't do it, but there was an excursion where the vendor takes you to the top of Mount Haleakala and you ride a bike all the way down. It looked fun, but it also looked a little dangerous because of the traffic.

The Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea is very nice, too.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I agree with Sabo, though the "worst" Hawaiian island is better than just about anywhere else. Still, the Big Island is my jam.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:45 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:03 pm maui me please

We had two stops in Maui when we did our Hawaiian cruise about 15 years ago. It was our least favorite of the islands we visited. Maui is beautiful and all, but it's very developed and touristy. My perception of it might be tainted because I was ill during both of our stops, so your mileage may vary.

Haleakala National Park is a must. Gorgeous scenery and views. There are several trails you can hike if you're so inclined. We didn't do it, but there was an excursion where the vendor takes you to the top of Mount Haleakala and you ride a bike all the way down. It looked fun, but it also looked a little dangerous because of the traffic.

The Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea is very nice, too.
Spent a week on Maui and got engaged at the top of Haleakala here. The trip to the top is exhausting to see the sunrise because you have to get up at 330 am but it is beautiful. The ride down? Eh.

We stayed on the west side north of Lahaina. Just did a ton of walking and going to local joints. Hit up the breweries on the island, there were 2 at the time. Whale watch if you can! We had the most incredible experience doing that it was like we were watching Planet Earth being filmed. So cool.

Went scuba diving which was fun if you're certified, if not I've heard the snorkel trips are super fun.

Some people enjoyed doing the road to Hana trip but we skipped it in favor of laying on the beach. A nice mix of local flavor and touristy/beachy bullshit. I'd go back tomorrow. It's a beautiful island.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We did it for our honeymoon and just did all of Maui versus island hopping in large part because our hotel was already paid for and that sort of double pay just wasn't palatable back then. Highway to Hana* is great if you want to update your "closest I've come to driving straight off the side of a mountain" list. Food is wonderful and its super weird to be in clean ocean water, but you can get bored on the island if you're more of a city traveler.

(Oh, we skipped the mountain bike ride just because we were both probably 10 years out of the last time we'd rode a bike and we'd heard plenty about serious injuries and worse. Would absolutely do it now.)

* I bet I've said this in some iteration of the swamp before. Feels familiar.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Go to Tahiti.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:22 pm Maui is a great place. Check out my post on this page about swimming with manta rays. I suggest you look into it on your trip.
That's pretty epic. Had a similar experience in Belize with a couple of spotted eagle rays.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:54 am I agree with Sabo, though the "worst" Hawaiian island is better than just about anywhere else. Still, the Big Island is my jam.
Agree completely. If we ever acquire any substantial amount of money, we're moving to the big island ASAP.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

An old friend of mine has retired in Hawaii. He lives on Oahu, but a fair bit away from Honolulu. He mentioned that we should check his place out. What he really wants us to do is swap homes for a month (He used to live in our town and misses it). So, when we want a vacation and he gets island fever, we stay at his place and he stays at ours. We will probably do that as soon as all our geriatric pets are gone.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

thanks for the recs. we are staying on Maui because to go to the big island you need a covid test within 72 hours which means going and getting (and paying) for a covid test somewhere on the island and I also wasn't a big fan of the flight times that we would be choosing

I think we're doing the road to hana and a fair amount of hiking and exploring. basically anything outdoors and I think we'll probably be cooking most of our meals at the condo -- we're two blocks from a fish market.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

1. Maui was really awesome

2. The Road to Hana was really fun. The fish and chips I had at a food truck in Hana were better than the ones I had at a sit down restaurant later in the week

3. The roads on the whole Road to Hana (we did the unpaved southside too) are nothing compared to the north side of West Maui between the airport and Kapalua. Holy shit. That was fun going to see the cliffs and stuff on the ocean, but it makes the Road to Hana look like a cruise down a four-lane interstate.

4. We snorkeled at the crater in some incredibly clear water. And then on the way back we got within 50 yards or so of a breaching humpback whale. That was probably the second-best day on the trip

5. Best day was playing the Plantation course, even though the wind was about 45 MPH off the mountain. I smoked the hell out of my driver on No. 3 and it went 170 yards. I've also never seen balls on the greens so affected by the wind as they were there. You had to read the green and then do an equal calculation for the wind.

6. The distillery has some great stuff. The rum, bourbon and oaked vodka were all phenomenal and way cheaper than I was expecting them to be.

7. Beer and liquor prices aren't bad at stores -- liquor especially -- relative to other food costs.

8. The ahi steaks we cooked one night during the week paired with a simple salad and some beer were a top five meal of the last few years

9. Maui has some good breweries. I'd put Kohola at No. 1 of the places we went

10. Driving up to the summit at Haleakala and then hiking is fun -- though it was the first hike I've done that went down before it went up. (I'm not the world's biggest hiking fan). That was a long 10 miles.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The mountain bike down the volcano was hella boring. Would have been boring even without a tour guide treating everyone like 6th graders.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anybody have any experience with Winter Park? Looks like we are heading out there in February...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:04 pm Anybody have any experience with Winter Park? Looks like we are heading out there in February...
I've spent a couple of weekends there, but they were both Summer trips, so things to do are a tad different.

Though I can say 2 breweries are pretty good, especially for small/ski town.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:04 pm Anybody have any experience with Winter Park? Looks like we are heading out there in February...
It's just like any of the other ski towns. The skiing is good and they have tubing if that is something you would be interested in. I would recommend driving up to Grand Lake since it's only about 45 minutes away. It's a good area to snowshoe if you are into that sort of thing as well...there are guided tours or you should be able to rent and find a trail on your own.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?