Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Giff »

Good chance I'm headed to Minneapolis for a night or two next month. Luckily a Wild game is happening one of the nights. Any suggestions on restaurants/bars?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:06 pm Good chance I'm headed to Minneapolis for a night or two next month. Luckily a Wild game is happening one of the nights. Any suggestions on restaurants/bars?
I could go down the rabbit hole on breweries/spots in Minny. Are you gonna be in St Paul the whole time or just for the game?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:06 pm Good chance I'm headed to Minneapolis for a night or two next month. Luckily a Wild game is happening one of the nights. Any suggestions on restaurants/bars?
Surly Brewing...it's near UM. They have a large new-ish production facility and restaurant that's pretty nice.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Wholeheartedly second the Surly rec.

Best food I've ever had in a brewery and the beer is damn good as well.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just to be a contrarian dick, Furious was one of the most disappointing (hype-to-enjoyment) beers I've had in a pretty long time.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:43 pm Just to be a contrarian dick, Furious was one of the most disappointing (hype-to-enjoyment) beers I've had in a pretty long time.
I don't disagree...it's a fine beer there are better.

Their Coffee Bender is my favorite coffee beer if anyone else is in to that sort of thing.
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I don't think their IPAs are anything more then solid to very solid. I'm much more into their stout/dark beer game.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Would have been nice if you all told me this 18(?) months ago when I didn't ask.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I believe Ike's is the classic place to get a drink. We had a few there. Also had a great dinner at the steak house next door (Murray's) Pinball bar called Tilt also had folks recommending it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Headed to Aruba for a week on Sunday. Any of you guys ever been? Can't miss stuff?

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:47 am Headed to Aruba for a week on Sunday. Any of you guys ever been? Can't miss stuff?
Did a cruise that spent a day there. Mostly just tooled around Oranjestad, which isn't really very interesting. Heard good things from people that explored the beaches on the northwest of the island.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Also RE: MSP breweries to check out.

Fulton (right by Target Field) -- Great hangout spot, variety of beers
Indeed Brewing -- Some of the most unique sours I've ever had. Go for the Strawberry Fields, stay for everything else.
Dangerous Man -- Very small brewpub and feels like your neighborhood place. Seemed heavy on the darker stuff when we were there.
Able Seedhouse -- Half hippie commune half brewery. Neat space. Beer was 7/10 but it's over near Indeed if you want to stop in.
Bauhaus -- Very cool place. Had a couple great beers there.
Wild Mind Ales -- Has some neat kinda off the wall stuff. Our friends live down the block here and it's their go-to.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 am
BSF21 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:47 am Headed to Aruba for a week on Sunday. Any of you guys ever been? Can't miss stuff?
Did a cruise that spent a day there. Mostly just tooled around Oranjestad, which isn't really very interesting. Heard good things from people that explored the beaches on the northwest of the island.
Neat. We're staying on the west side of the island so that should be good. Trying to find some hiking/exploring to mix into the snorkeling/drinking which seems to be most of what you do there.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Do you windsurf? We have some friends who are diehard windsurfers, and they claim that Aruba is a world-class location for that. That's all I got.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 pm
Do you windsurf? We have some friends who are diehard windsurfers, and they claim that Aruba is a world-class location for that. That's all I got.
Do you windsurf? Feels like a very 80s question. Do people still do that or has kiteboarding taken over? I know it was big when I was growing up but feels like a fad that just did not stick with a large population.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Look at this asshole rollerblading in to call you hobbies lame.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Friend of my wife is going to London and is looking for nice and budget-friendly accommodation.

Anyone have any ideas?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:36 am Friend of my wife is going to London and is looking for nice and budget-friendly accommodation.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hostel an option? Airbnb?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:08 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:36 am Friend of my wife is going to London and is looking for nice and budget-friendly accommodation.

Anyone have any ideas?
Hostel an option? Airbnb?
Air BnB for sure.

Last time I was there was 12 years ago or so. Stayed at a really nice, surprisingly cheap place right on the edge of Hyde Park.

The site is now a massive condo project.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just bought tix to go to London in May 460$ round trip from Denver! Only one layover on the way there and non-stop coming back.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:06 pm Just bought tix to go to London in May 460$ round trip from Denver! Only one layover on the way there and non-stop coming back.
Which airline?
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

United, but when I was searching there were some on AirCanada, British Airways, etc. Ended up with United because it had the best itinerary.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We just got back from 10 days in Mexico, and it was fucking awesome.

We were in Merida for 4 days for a wedding. Went to a Hacienda where they still make hennican rope (and learned a bunch). Went to Chichen-Itza and then swimming in a cenote. Ate way too much amazing food, and drank a ton of mexican beers and margaritas.

The wedding was bananas. Held at a hacienda about 45 minutes outside of Merida. So much fun.

Then we went to an all-inclusive resort (Secrets Akumal) in Akumal, which is between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. Sat around the pool a bunch. Did a really cool 'eco-friendly' of the Tulum ruins and then more cenote swimming.

I'd never done an all-inclusive resort, but this was great. We spent a little more to make sure we were at a place with high quality food, and it paid off. Every meal we had was great.

One observation: We became pretty convinced that they a) make their drinks during the daytime really weak, and/or b) water down their alchohol, because we would drink a bunch of cocktails in the afternoon in/at the pool, and not really catch a buzz, but would have to go to the bathroom a ton. I should not be able to drink 3 cadillac margaritas in about an hour and not have much more then a buzz.

Anyways....great trip. Highly recommended.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Leaving tomorrow evening NJ and landing Wednesday morning in Dublin, staying for 9 nights. The first two will be in Dublin, then we're heading North to Co. Down for a yet to be determined (3 or 4?) number of days to spend time with my wife's extended family, and then we'll wander around a bit after that. We haven't really made set plans for the back portion of the trip since we don't know exactly when we are setting out from Down. We want to try to see Belfast, since it was still a little dicey there last time we were over in Ireland in 2001. My wife wants to make it over to Donegal because she's never been there. We spent a lot of our last trip in Kerry, specifically the strut of land surrounded by water on three sides that starts with the fourth letter of the alphabet, so we'll probably not wander too far South.

Anyway, I haven't driven a standard transmission in 4 years or so, and didn't drive at all the last time I was over there, so wish me and our rental car luck.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 pmAnyway, I haven't driven a standard transmission in 4 years or so, and didn't drive at all the last time I was over there, so wish me and our rental car luck.
Good lord, shifting gears with your left hand? Sounds like a nightmare.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:43 pm
rass wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 pmAnyway, I haven't driven a standard transmission in 4 years or so, and didn't drive at all the last time I was over there, so wish me and our rental car luck.
Good lord, shifting gears with your left hand? Sounds like a nightmare.
I rented a car for a weekend in Australia, and shifting wasn't too bad once I got used to it, but it took me a long time before I stopped turning on the wipers every time I tried to use the turn signal.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Will probably be raining anyway.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Other than kissing a couple of curbs, so far so good.

Belfast is a great little city with a fascinating recent history, and very eager to please its tourists. Highly recommended, wish this was more than just a day trip.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:35 am Other than kissing a couple of curbs, so far so good.

Belfast is a great little city with a fascinating recent history, and very eager to please its tourists. Highly recommended, wish this was more than just a day trip.
Thanks for coming! Whatever you need! It’s no troubles!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:41 pm
rass wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:35 am Other than kissing a couple of curbs, so far so good.

Fucking brilliant.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Dude, some of the shit we saw even on a tour. It’s a super low heat, and Belfast in general is full steam ahead as if it’s never coming back, but it’s still there. Under the wrong circumstances...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:26 pm

Dude, some of the shit we saw even on a tour. It’s a super low heat, and Belfast in general is full steam ahead as if it’s never coming back, but it’s still there. Under the wrong circumstances...
You mean like Brexit or something similarly paradigm-changing?!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:32 pm
rass wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:26 pm

You mean like Brexit or something similarly paradigm-changing?!
What???
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

After that heavy petting the curbs took license to just fuck me raw on Monday. Disastrous. But we’re back in NJ, safe and...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Holy shit - almost forgot how completely awe-inspiring the mountains are.

Just back from a week in the Alberta Rockies and went from looking out the bedroom window at hikers walking towards the mountains to seeing old guys in black suits walking to synagogue for morning prayers.

I want to go back already.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don’t think I could live anywhere without mountains any more. Wouldn’t want to at least.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:40 pm I don’t think I could live anywhere without mountains any more. Wouldn’t want to at least.
Drove through blue ridges and smokies over vacation and really enjoy them even though they aren’t the size of what you cats are talking about. Growing up with a “mountain” across the river spoiled me a bit but now I try to appreciate the forests and the gorges.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:09 am Holy shit - almost forgot how completely awe-inspiring the mountains are.

Just back from a week in the Alberta Rockies and went from looking out the bedroom window at hikers walking towards the mountains to seeing old guys in black suits walking to synagogue for morning prayers.

I want to go back already.
But you have lakes and cottages.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Blue Ridge Mountains are awesome. That’s plenty big for me.