Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:53 am
brian wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:22 am We'd probably hang out together quite well in NOLA. To this list, I'd add if you're looking for a great dive type places to get some great Creole food, hit up Coop's Place on Decatur. For recommendations on bars I don't really have any because my normal MO is to just stagger into a place for awhile until I get the urge to hit up another place and that usually only takes a drink or two. Still if you've never been, don't deprive yourself of a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's though. Yes, it's touristy, yes, it's not as cheap as some other places, but it's an experience. Don't shy away from the gay section of Bourbon Street either. They make some great drinks with infused vodka at Napoleon's Itch. The bartender/owner there is a really great guy.
Unless you want to be killed. Bullets, that is, not wrath of god. Was there some days after pulse and it was palpably uncomfortable. Mostly because of the armed guards. I say walk and follow the music. Transport and follow the music. Pretty much follow the music. And its hot as fuck. Id go swimsuit and bare chest. See what kind of friends you can make.
I don't know if that was a temporary measure after Pulse, but I've never seen an armed guard in any bar on Bourbon Street, before or since the Pulse shooting.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Very definitely just a reaction most likely temporary. Havent been back since. Werent cops. Looked like private security maybe?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:28 pm Very definitely just a reaction most likely temporary. Havent been back since. Werent cops. Looked like private security maybe?
Perhaps unsurprising if it was that soon after. Not impossible some of the south's less enlightened residents might have also made threats after Pulse to pick up where that asshole left off in places like New Orleans, forcing some of the bars to err on the side of caution. On the bright side, I've been there twice since Pulse and not seen anything of the sort anywhere in the French Quarter.

ETA: Including once during Mardi Gras where extra security might not have been unexpected.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:22 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 am
cerrano wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 pm following mrs. cerrano down to nawlins for her ala conference in 2 weeks (Friday to Monday) and will spend 75% on my own due to her schedule down there.

never been before, but i think we have a reservation at commander's palace with a bunch of librarians, and not sure where else. since im on my own most of the day, what do I have to see down there, which bars should i be drinking at? what would be your go to places?
Feel like we just did NOLA on here (for TT, maybe?). dba in the Marigny had great live music, and anything on Frenchman Street is a step less touristy than Bourbon, but the secret is definitely out. Mother's, near the French Quarter, is really good for diner type food, there's usually a long line. I really like the chargrilled oysters at Drago's at the bottom of one of the taller hotels at the end of Canal St. near the river. Carousel bar is pretty great. You probably ought to hit up Cafe Du Monde at least once as well. You really can't go wrong there for food and drink.
We'd probably hang out together quite well in NOLA. To this list, I'd add if you're looking for a great dive type places to get some great Creole food, hit up Coop's Place on Decatur. For recommendations on bars I don't really have any because my normal MO is to just stagger into a place for awhile until I get the urge to hit up another place and that usually only takes a drink or two. Still if you've never been, don't deprive yourself of a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's though. Yes, it's touristy, yes, it's not as cheap as some other places, but it's an experience. Don't shy away from the gay section of Bourbon Street either. They make some great drinks with infused vodka at Napoleon's Itch. The bartender/owner there is a really great guy.
so many good recco's here. thanks! i do think at some point I have to hit pat o'briens. coops place looks good too. i heard about kingpin somewhere west of where we're staying which looks like a fun dive joint but the selling point is the tacaeux loceaux truck that's there every friday night. and i'm gonna have to hit finn mccool's for a world cup match.

anybody go to cochon butcher? wondering if it is more flash than substance.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

cerrano wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:55 pm
brian wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:22 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 am
cerrano wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 pm following mrs. cerrano down to nawlins for her ala conference in 2 weeks (Friday to Monday) and will spend 75% on my own due to her schedule down there.

never been before, but i think we have a reservation at commander's palace with a bunch of librarians, and not sure where else. since im on my own most of the day, what do I have to see down there, which bars should i be drinking at? what would be your go to places?
Feel like we just did NOLA on here (for TT, maybe?). dba in the Marigny had great live music, and anything on Frenchman Street is a step less touristy than Bourbon, but the secret is definitely out. Mother's, near the French Quarter, is really good for diner type food, there's usually a long line. I really like the chargrilled oysters at Drago's at the bottom of one of the taller hotels at the end of Canal St. near the river. Carousel bar is pretty great. You probably ought to hit up Cafe Du Monde at least once as well. You really can't go wrong there for food and drink.
We'd probably hang out together quite well in NOLA. To this list, I'd add if you're looking for a great dive type places to get some great Creole food, hit up Coop's Place on Decatur. For recommendations on bars I don't really have any because my normal MO is to just stagger into a place for awhile until I get the urge to hit up another place and that usually only takes a drink or two. Still if you've never been, don't deprive yourself of a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's though. Yes, it's touristy, yes, it's not as cheap as some other places, but it's an experience. Don't shy away from the gay section of Bourbon Street either. They make some great drinks with infused vodka at Napoleon's Itch. The bartender/owner there is a really great guy.
so many good recco's here. thanks! i do think at some point I have to hit pat o'briens. coops place looks good too. i heard about kingpin somewhere west of where we're staying which looks like a fun dive joint but the selling point is the tacaeux loceaux truck that's there every friday night. and i'm gonna have to hit finn mccool's for a world cup match.

anybody go to cochon butcher? wondering if it is more flash than substance.
No, it's not all flash. Cochon Butcher is fantastic. I've never been to Cochon, but that's usually a little too upscale/spendy for the way we do New Orleans, but Cochon Butcher for lunch one day is a must in my opinion.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, Butcher is spectacular, but I'd go Cochon for dinner over Butcher for lunch if I could only do one. Unless you're getting muffaletta (which is gross), what you're getting at Butcher can be found in most cities. Cochon the restaurant is New Orleans as fuck.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Snake and Jake's Christmas Club Lounge, open 7pm-7am nightly.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

pat o’brien’s hurricane ✅

as an added bonus, I’m currently enjoying the best dueling pianos version of “baby got back” I’ve ever heard.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

cerrano wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:13 pm pat o’brien’s hurricane ✅

as an added bonus, I’m currently enjoying the best dueling pianos version of “baby got back” I’ve ever heard.
New Orleans is the best. Are you at Spirits On Bourbon by any chance? The dueling piano setup there is solid.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Just finishing the hurricane at pat’s and am gonna leave in a few minutes to hit willie mae’s for some fried chicken.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dont know how much of a music guy you are, but Guided By Voices are playing a show in New Orleans tomorrow at One Eyed Jack's. That shit will change your life.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Side note: I now want fried chicken for dinner.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:24 pm Dont know how much of a music guy you are, but Guided By Voices are playing a show in New Orleans tomorrow at One Eyed Jack's. That shit will change your life.
Thanks for the tip. “Business” dinner tomorrow night at Commanders Palace with a bunch of librarians so I won’t be able to make that.

The chicken at Willie Mae’s was phenomenal. Red beans and rice was delicious. Corn bread muffin was on point. Along with lemonade, the meal was $20. By far the best meal I ever had for $20.

Walked from there to Frenchman to exorcise the chicken and probably lost 3 lbs in sweat alone. Went to a couple of clubs and then headed back to the hotel. If it wasn’t for the heat, I would move here in an instant. Great advice from everyone. Probably going to Cochon But her for lunch tomorrow. Can’t wait.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

cerrano wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:48 pm
brian wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:24 pm Dont know how much of a music guy you are, but Guided By Voices are playing a show in New Orleans tomorrow at One Eyed Jack's. That shit will change your life.
Thanks for the tip. “Business” dinner tomorrow night at Commanders Palace with a bunch of librarians so I won’t be able to make that.

The chicken at Willie Mae’s was phenomenal. Red beans and rice was delicious. Corn bread muffin was on point. Along with lemonade, the meal was $20. By far the best meal I ever had for $20.

Walked from there to Frenchman to exorcise the chicken and probably lost 3 lbs in sweat alone. Went to a couple of clubs and then headed back to the hotel. If it wasn’t for the heat, I would move here in an instant. Great advice from everyone. Probably going to Cochon But her for lunch tomorrow. Can’t wait.
I would quit librarianism for GbV.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

now accepting your best "maximize your all-inclusive resort" stay tips

leaving next week for two days in Miami and 5 in the DR
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Does "don't make yourself miserable by only eating shitty resort food just because you already prepaid" count? Other than that, find out early if you need to book dinners or if you can usually just show up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:19 am Does "don't make yourself miserable by only eating shitty resort food just because you already prepaid" count? Other than that, find out early if you need to book dinners or if you can usually just show up.
yes

my plan is to maximize the dinners and we've already discussed game-planning our strategy for where to eat each night/how to do that as soon as we get there. we're going this route because the cost per person was really good, so I don't feel (at least right now) like I have to go crazy to get "value" out of what we've spent
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The food at the resort we stayed at in DR was really good. Made up the cost in drinks.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Don't pass out three hours after checking-in because free tequila is still very much alcoholic.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Also, try to find an NFL starting QB to hang out with at the pool bar. Play it cool and act like you don't recognize him. And then at dinner that night spend more time staring at him than your newly married wife.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 am Don't pass out three hours after checking-in because free tequila is still very much alcoholic.
Words to live by for every trip to Mexico.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 am
mister d wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:19 am Does "don't make yourself miserable by only eating shitty resort food just because you already prepaid" count? Other than that, find out early if you need to book dinners or if you can usually just show up.
yes

my plan is to maximize the dinners and we've already discussed game-planning our strategy for where to eat each night/how to do that as soon as we get there. we're going this route because the cost per person was really good, so I don't feel (at least right now) like I have to go crazy to get "value" out of what we've spent
Don't get in a fight with your girlfriend's family over the sleeping arrangements.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

So, coming up in August is Paris, London and Edinburgh. Didn’t plan it this way but we will be in Edinburgh for Fringe Fest.

Never been. You guys gave me such great advice for
NOLA, I know I can’t go wrong in here. 5 days in Paris, 3 in London and 3 in Edinburgh. Got the lodging and travel completed and some ideas on what to see, but what should I not miss?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

cerrano wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:54 pm So, coming up in August is Paris, London and Edinburgh. Didn’t plan it this way but we will be in Edinburgh for Fringe Fest.

NOLA, I know I can’t go wrong in here. 5 days in Paris, 3 in London and 3 in Edinburgh. Got the lodging and travel completed and some ideas on what to see, but what should I not miss?
America.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Edinburgh recs coming up when I get to a computer.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

A_B wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:58 pm
cerrano wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:54 pm So, coming up in August is Paris, London and Edinburgh. Didn’t plan it this way but we will be in Edinburgh for Fringe Fest.

America.
Too late. We are now officially ‘Murica.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 am
yes

Don't get in a fight with your girlfriend's family over the sleeping arrangements.
seems doable!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:49 pm Edinburgh recs coming up when I get to a computer.
Haven't been there ion 25 years, so my recommendations will be useless.

But that is a really, really great city.

(As are London and Paris of course... great trip you;ve got planned there).
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

cerrano wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:35 pm
A_B wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:58 pm

America.
Too late. We are now officially ‘Murica.
Which is why you shouldn’t miss it while you’re gone.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

cerrano wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:54 pm what should I not miss?
The castle, of course!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If there’s a country or culture in the world that actually likes the French I’ve yet to visit there.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

If you're headed from Paris to London and can take some time in your travel, I can't recommend Mont St. Michel enough. Very cool tour.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Edinburgh - we stayed at a hotel on the corner of the Royal Mile and the road that leads there from the train station (thanks Oiler's fiancee who worked for Hilton at the time). I had no real issues with the location, it was very centrally located to the main sights. However, when I go back, I'll probably look for somewhere a little less touristy. Hiking up Arthur's seat is a must. The views from up there are fantastic, and you can really get a good feel for the layout of the city. We took the route that starts near the bottom of the Royal Mile, not far from one of the Queen's castles (Holyrood?) and the seat of Scottish parliament.

We did a self guided tour of the castle (it's at the top of the Royal Mile), and it was pretty great. The views from up there are nice as well. St. Giles cathedral (about 2/3 of the way up the Royal Mile) is beautiful. I recommend taking the time to go in and walk around. We had an old guy who worked there approach us and explain a lot about the church.

Find a pub where they're playing live music at night. The food at Mother India's Cafe was fantastic, as was Angels with Bagpipes, there's one other place we went to that I can't find the name of right now. It was down a "close" (alley) off the Royal mile. It sort of had the feel of a hipster hunting lodge. Dinner there was excellent.

ETA - The Devil's Advocate is the restaurant I was thinking of.

Also, go walk the Forth Bridge road and pour a little out for Scott Hutchison.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Try the haggis, neaps, and tatties. It really is good.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:23 am

If you're headed from Paris to London and can take some time in your travel, I can't recommend Mont St. Michel enough. Very cool tour.
Yeah, Mont St. Michel is seriously cool. Anybody who goes to Normandy should visit it. Just the walk up to it feels like you are on your way to Emerald City.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Guy here at SFO while I’m waiting for flight to Vegas is my least favorite business traveler. The guy who makes numerous work-related calls of dubious importance to show what a big shot he is though it’s hard to imagine why anyone around him cares and in fact are just annoyed.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:41 pm Guy here at SFO while I’m waiting for flight to Vegas is my least favorite business traveler. The guy who makes numerous work-related calls of dubious importance to show what a big shot he is though it’s hard to imagine why anyone around him cares and in fact are just annoyed.
Man, I remember when cell phones first became a thing... that's what half the callers seemed to be doing. Closing million dollar deals in line for subs or at a ball game.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:09 pm
brian wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:41 pm Guy here at SFO while I’m waiting for flight to Vegas is my least favorite business traveler. The guy who makes numerous work-related calls of dubious importance to show what a big shot he is though it’s hard to imagine why anyone around him cares and in fact are just annoyed.
Man, I remember when cell phones first became a thing... that's what half the callers seemed to be doing. Closing million dollar deals in line for subs or at a ball game...
... talking into a blue-tooth headset.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:32 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:09 pm
Man, I remember when cell phones first became a thing... that's what half the callers seemed to be doing. Closing million dollar deals in line for subs or at a ball game...
... talking into a blue-tooth headset.
Still see old farts around here walking around with those things.

Like seriously Abe? You're buying bagels. It's Sunday morning. NOBODY IS CALLING YOU!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So feels like I have either food poisoning (or something similar) or malaria. Most likely the former of course. Good times. At least I made it home first.