Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by rass »

But you took some nice pictures.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Mrs. Sabo and I are considering visiting Harpers Ferry, VA sometime next week. Any suggestions on restaurants or things to do, other than visiting the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park?

Thanks in advance.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Maybe give the PTA a look see.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:48 am Maybe give the PTA a look see.
That's Harper Valley.

Other that the ATC stuff and the Civil War stuff I couldn't even begin to fathom what else there might possibly be to do there. It's not a big town. (That said, those two things would be really cool.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Yeah, I know it isn't a big town at all, but I didn't know if anyone had any hidden gems to reveal about the town. As long as I get some AT gear to wear I'll be happy.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 pm Leaving tomorrow evening NJ and landing Wednesday morning in Dublin, staying for 9 nights. The first two will be in Dublin, then we're heading North to Co. Down for a yet to be determined (3 or 4?) number of days to spend time with my wife's extended family, and then we'll wander around a bit after that. We haven't really made set plans for the back portion of the trip since we don't know exactly when we are setting out from Down. We want to try to see Belfast, since it was still a little dicey there last time we were over in Ireland in 2001. My wife wants to make it over to Donegal because she's never been there. We spent a lot of our last trip in Kerry, specifically the strut of land surrounded by water on three sides that starts with the fourth letter of the alphabet, so we'll probably not wander too far South.

Anyway, I haven't driven a standard transmission in 4 years or so, and didn't drive at all the last time I was over there, so wish me and our rental car luck.
The tiny village where we the bulk of my wife's family lives and where we stayed while in NI made it to the All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship. Population under 1,500 according to the 2001 census. Neat!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Heading to Summit County, CO for the long weekend. Staying at Keystone, and won't have a car (but I do have a new Lyft Pink membership, so I've got that going for me). I also hear the bus system isn't bad. Any recommendations about off resort things to see/do/eat/drink/smoke/ingest in that part of the world?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

How are you getting to Summit County? I'd highly (HA!) recommend buying before you leave Denver.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

We're taking a shuttle Friday morning from Denver airport. Unless there's a dispensary at the airport, I can only purchase once we arrive in Summit Co. Also, I'm trying to cut way back, and am likely only looking for relatively mild sativa edibles at this point, (i.e. higher CBD:THC ratio).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

ETA - Just saw your last post: Do you have a car once there? There's a bus that runs a circuit between the cities I talk about below.

Loved Keystone - did a day trip there from Breckenridge last year. One thing to keep in mind or be aware: Unlike Breck, there's not a ton of grocery shopping or booze shopping joints in Keystone proper. Almost positive there isn't a dispensary in Keystone, but maybe they put one in since last year. Here are some options.

3) Silverthorne/Dillon (~25 mins) is more like a city and they have a ton of national chain stores, including an REI if someone is missing or has outgrown their ski/winter gear. But in terms of places to grab food/booze and even pot, this place is on the way into Keystone and has a ton of options. It's also the closest option if you want to run out to grab supplies or eat at a chain restaurant (I don't know if you have to cater to that type of crowd.)

It has a number of breweries in that town (3 or 4, at least) but I can't really speak to them, because we didn't spend much time there. There's a decent sized movie theater there, too.

2) Frisco (~30 mins away) is a really quaint little town, with lots of good strolling/shopping and restaurants. There's a Wal*Mart and a Safeway there, just FYI.

3) Breckenridge (~30 mins away) has the brewery and even more strolling/shopping than Frisco. Really nice town to visit, if folks are looking for that kind of a break, this is where I'd take them. They have a big grocery store and a booze store right next to it.

Neither Frisco or Breck are on you'r way in UNLESS they have to close Rt. 6, which happens but usually farther past Keystone on past A-Basin. Keytone is east of a lake that Silverthorne/Dillon and Frisco sit on, which is why it pretty much takes 30 minutes to get everywhere (you have to circle the lake either to the north or south to get anywhere.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Thanks. Was planning on utilizing bus and Uber or Lyft for any off Keystone excursions.

Apparently our trip from the airport to the hotel may be treacherous on Friday morning, but the rest of the weekend looks perfect weatherwise.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

By the way, both Frisco and Breck have dispensaries (just checked) if you want to knock out all your off-Keystone shopping in one shot.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:41 am Heading to Summit County, CO for the long weekend. Staying at Keystone, and won't have a car (but I do have a new Lyft Pink membership, so I've got that going for me). I also hear the bus system isn't bad. Any recommendations about off resort things to see/do/eat/drink/smoke/ingest in that part of the world?
In Keystone there is a bar/restaurant called The Goat I recommend.

In Frisco go to Outer Range Brewery.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Ched, check out Outer Range Brewing in Frisco. Top friggin notch beers. Broken Compass is the choice in Breck.

Dillion Dam Brewing is ok, but has excellent pizza.

I haven't personally been, but I've heard go things about Native Roots dispensary (also in Frisco)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Looks like the Goat is right next to the hotel (Hyatt Place Keystone).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:41 am Heading to Summit County, CO for the long weekend. Staying at Keystone, and won't have a car (but I do have a new Lyft Pink membership, so I've got that going for me). I also hear the bus system isn't bad. Any recommendations about off resort things to see/do/eat/drink/smoke/ingest in that part of the world?
Probably not what you are looking for, but friends of mine from college live in Breck and own this place: Peek-A-Boo Toys
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Any of you know where they're holding the MLK day parade near Keystone?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Breckenridge Brewery is worth it. The distillery's drinks are expensive but also good.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:01 pm
Probably not what you are looking for, but friends of mine from college live in Breck and own this place: Peek-A-Boo Toys
Is that the place with the cornhole boards out front? We hung out there for a bit.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Gonna be there next weekend.

There's really not much in Keystone - Breckenridge is the only "town" with places to go, but it's also packed on holiday weekends. The brewery is a good recommendation and there are some really decent restaurants in the area. Forget their names but you can probably Yelp the good ones.

Keystone is smaller than I thought but has some good runs and it's where I hit my fastest ski time, so go HAM son
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Was at the Goat last year (didn't recognize the name) - it's a decent bar. Most of the bars in the area are that style. It's got a cool pool room too.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:08 pm

There's really not much in Keystone - Breckenridge is the only "town" with places to go, but it's also packed on holiday weekends. The brewery is a good recommendation and there are some really decent restaurants in the area. Forget their names but you can probably Yelp the good ones.

Keystone is smaller than I thought but has some good runs and it's where I hit my fastest ski time, so go HAM son
Imma Michael Kennedy these hills!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sonny B. Oh-No.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Hopefully you'll at least have Sonny weather and you can play "Beautiful Day" sung by Bono.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Hopefully you'll at least have Sonny weather and you can play "Beautiful Day" sung by Bono.
Thank you for Cherring such nice wishes.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Had to look that up - forgot about the football one.

This is one way to do it that isn't quite that dumb:

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Some have stated that the family had been previously warned by the ski patrol to cease the activity; others have stated that the ski patrol issued no such warnings.

Ummm yeah you really shouldn't need a warning to know that people should not do that
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

What app is that? Need to log my essess.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

SkiTracks. It works pretty well most of the time and it's worth the 99 cents.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:36 am
rass wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 pm Leaving tomorrow evening NJ and landing Wednesday morning in Dublin, staying for 9 nights. The first two will be in Dublin, then we're heading North to Co. Down for a yet to be determined (3 or 4?) number of days to spend time with my wife's extended family, and then we'll wander around a bit after that. We haven't really made set plans for the back portion of the trip since we don't know exactly when we are setting out from Down. We want to try to see Belfast, since it was still a little dicey there last time we were over in Ireland in 2001. My wife wants to make it over to Donegal because she's never been there. We spent a lot of our last trip in Kerry, specifically the strut of land surrounded by water on three sides that starts with the fourth letter of the alphabet, so we'll probably not wander too far South.

Anyway, I haven't driven a standard transmission in 4 years or so, and didn't drive at all the last time I was over there, so wish me and our rental car luck.
The tiny village where we the bulk of my wife's family lives and where we stayed while in NI made it to the All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship. Population under 1,500 according to the 2001 census. Neat!
They tied it up in the 10th minute of 5 minutes of injury time. Going to extra time!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

First 10 minutes of extra time was not good
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’ve probably said this before but by far my favorite archetype of traveler when you’re in Mexico is the Canadians who everyday only wear clothing and hats that instantly identify them as Canadian lest they be confused with the Americans.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A close cousin to this are the adventurous MAGA types who exclusively wear only stuff with the American flag presumably to “brag” that they’re American.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

As if anyone in Mexico really gives a fuck about either.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Thanks for the Summit Co. recs. We ventured out much less than I expected. Got stranded by a few hours of blizzard in Frisco whilst out procuring supplies on Friday, just after arrival.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:43 am A close cousin to this are the adventurous MAGA types who exclusively wear only stuff with the American flag presumably to “brag” that they’re American.
How about Marylanders that love Balti-flage (i.e. clothing, apparel, stickers etc that incorporate the state flag...Thanks UnderArmour). Oh it is even better when it is a non-Marylander.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pride/arrogance over their own random chance is the one thing they have in common with the born-on-3rd republican politicians they love so much.

(Well, one of two things they have in common. Also bigotry.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm Thanks for the Summit Co. recs. We ventured out much less than I expected. Got stranded by a few hours of blizzard in Frisco whilst out procuring supplies on Friday, just after arrival.
I'm actually headed back out there in February. Picking up The Girl from DU and spending Prez Day Weekend up that way. Really looking forward to it. Hit Keystone for just a day trip last time, so will be able to explore a bit more and relax with The Wife for apres ski at a few places we scoped out.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:44 pm
brian wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:43 am A close cousin to this are the adventurous MAGA types who exclusively wear only stuff with the American flag presumably to “brag” that they’re American.
How about Marylanders that love Balti-flage (i.e. clothing, apparel, stickers etc that incorporate the state flag...Thanks UnderArmour). Oh it is even better when it is a non-Marylander.
I've got the now ubiquitous crab flag magnet (i was out ahead of that one, but now it's everywhere), but I don't sport the MD flag apparel. I love MD, but I feel weird acting like the flag is part of my essence or something.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm Thanks for the Summit Co. recs. We ventured out much less than I expected. Got stranded by a few hours of blizzard in Frisco whilst out procuring supplies on Friday, just after arrival.
I'm actually headed back out there in February. Picking up The Girl from DU and spending Prez Day Weekend up that way. Really looking forward to it. Hit Keystone for just a day trip last time, so will be able to explore a bit more and relax with The Wife for apres ski at a few places we scoped out.
Our timing was great. We arrived at DIA at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, and the shuttle got us to Keystone just after noon. Blizzard conditions started later, and no Ubers or Lyfts were out. Had to trudge around to find the bus stop near Outer Range Brewing in that mess. Made it back to the hotel about 2 hours later than expected. Didn't get back to Frisco to get to Native Roots, but did hit up whatever one is near Walmart by Outer Range. I wouldn't recommend it. Staff was kinda shitty.