NCAA Tournament thread - Play-In games and Round of 64

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

NCAA Tournament thread - Play-In games and Round of 64

Post by Sabo »

I'm having a hard time finding any upsets in the early rounds this year. Belmont perhaps? It sure as hell won't be Akron, though it will be fun watching Keith Dambrot go against his former assistant.

And if I were a betting man, I'd put a large chunk of coin on Creighton beating the hell out of Cincinnati.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Re: NCAA Tournament thread - Play-In games and Round of 64

Post by brian »

I like a few upset possibilities. I watched just about every conference championship game this year and a bunch of semifinals of some of the smaller conferences and came away impressed with a few teams. I'll limit it to my five most likely (in no order) (also, going only #11 or higher here. #10 or #9 seeds winning is barely an upset)

#14 Northwestern State vs. #3 Florida -- NW St. plays FAST and Florida has been spotty lately. If NW St. gets hot they could land a knockout punch quickly.

#13 South Dakota St. vs. #4 Michigan -- This is a rough draw for SDakSt. because Michigan takes care of the ball really well -- a sloppier #4 seed would be in a world of trouble because the Jackrabbits are GOOD. I'm definitely taking SDST and the 10-ish points here though. It'll be a close game.

#11 Bucknell vs. #6 Butler -- Should be a really interesting game. I wonder if playing in a much tougher conference is going to help or hinder Butler come tournament time. Seems counter-intuitive, but they may be a lot more beat up after the A-10 grind than their players are used to.

#11 St. Mary's OR Middle Tennessee St vs. #6 Memphis -- I'm not sold on Memphis at all. And if MTSU should upset St. Mary's that sets up a really interesting intra-state matchup.

#11 Belmont vs. #6 Arizona -- Arizona is so up and down -- they could win this game by 20 or lose it by 12-14. Belmont also played in a tougher conference this year, but I think that will help them come tournament time since the OVC isn't exactly the A-10. I just like that they played in more closer games this year.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Belmont is my pick for double digit upset, personally.

For no reason other than it seems to fit. Pac 12 not impressive, Belmont team that got some late press for being good, etc.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Heard on the radio this morning that Notre Dame could be at risk in their first round matchup.

I am hoping for a Kentucky - Maryland N.I.T. finally. Would be fitting that both teams started against each other in New York and could finish the season against each other in New York.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

La Salle is a 1.5 point dog versus Boise State. Love them for the upset! Yay La Salle!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

One of the jokers on CBS (Seth Davis, maybe?) is really pumping Montana's tires and picking them to upset Syracuse.
Popin' ain't easy
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

I got Kansas losing because a one seed has to lose eventually and Syracuse losing because I'm annoyed they left the Big East.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jon Rothstein, who is a real writer, has La Salle knocking off Kansas State.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Was his pick really eloquent or something?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

For those of us that do not get TruTV, whatever the h-e-double-hockeystick that is, one live stream source is TSN.CA. And I have no idea if that link will work outside of Canuckia.

Trivia: First time since 1977 that there are no teams from Texas in the NCAA tournament.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The third Tuesday in March belongs to truTV.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I guess they are not billing this as Pomeroy's #317 offense (A&T) versus the #303 defense (Liberty)? Looks so far like bad offense beats bad defense.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

God must have been busy with something else on that last possession.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

well, that was exiting. lots of points. good opener to the tourney.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Yeah, that was a good game. Too bad A&T will now score 35 against Louisville.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

anybody have a password to march madness on demand through cbs this year? i'm going to have to watch the tourney via laptop and i have no money to pay for it.

also, if anybody is curious, i am take the candy, get in the van in the frog pool
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I downloaded the app and was able to watch for free.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Already pre-barfing. If I were anyone but me, I'd mock my level of investment in a play-in game.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote:Already pre-barfing. If I were anyone but me, I'd mock my level of investment in a play-in game.
I don't know why you're nervous. If LaSalle wins tonight, they're winning it all. So says my coin-flip bracket!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Already pre-barfing. If I were anyone but me, I'd mock my level of investment in a play-in game.
I can't decide how nervous I will be tomorrow. I should be nervous... this Missouri team could make the Final Four and it wouldn't be that much of a surprise given expectations and talent level.

But it would be equally not much of a surprise if they lost by 30 Thursday night too.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:
I can't decide how nervous I will be tomorrow. I should be nervous... this Missouri team could make the Final Four and it wouldn't be that much of a surprise given expectations and talent level.

But it would be equally not much of a surprise if they lost by 30 Thursday night too.
Any reason to think Pressey would have less than the 8 turnovers he had against UofL earlier in the year? I hope he doesn't.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Any reason to think Pressey would have less than the 8 turnovers he had against UofL earlier in the year? I hope he doesn't.
Psh. Louisville? No point in even thinking about that game with this team right now.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:

Funny thing. I have not watched one Colorado State game all year, but I've been learning about them on the fly over the past few days, and I know I will be very nervous as I watch them play Mizzou tomorrow. After much analysis, deliberation and contemplation, I picked the Rams to win the game, in my brackets.

I also have LaSalle losing big on Wednesday.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Yard of Junk
Maude Lebowski

Post by Yard of Junk »

Laying out of work tomorrow afternoon to watch basketball and drink beer.
Bet on each of the four #1's to cover the spread. (Statistically, that "usually" happens).
Bet on St. Louis, Wichita State and Memphis. We will see how it goes.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Syracuse basketball team under NCAA investigation and has been for a period of "years". Football is also involved.

Boeheim will be in a good mood, so this promises to be fun.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Oddly, there are four Canadians on the New Mexico State team, including 7'5" Sim Bhullar who is surely the tallest Punjabi in the NCAA as well. Saint Louis has one as well so there is an obscure chance that at some point half of the players on court in that game would be Canucks. Weird.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Thanks a ton for the link for the stream, Scottie.

I too was shocked at the number of Canadians that are in this game (and for that matter, the tournament). Keep an eye on Andrew Wiggins, he'll be entering the NCAA next year and is projected to be the No 1 or 2 overall pick in 2014 (even though it's obscenely early)
Popin' ain't easy
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

You're very welcome. And you saw the list on TSN.ca, eh?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well, NMSU does have low academic standards.
Scottie wrote:Oddly, there are four Canadians on the New Mexico State team
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

While you're at it . . . look up "Lobogate".
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Scottie wrote:You're very welcome. And you saw the list on TSN.ca, eh?
No, I didn't. That's useful, will help me decide who to root for. "Grandy Glaze" has to be one of the best names I've heard in awhile.
Popin' ain't easy
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Rush2112 wrote:Well, NMSU does have low academic standards.
Scottie wrote:Oddly, there are four Canadians on the New Mexico State team

I didn't see any Newfs on that list.
Popin' ain't easy
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

LIU has got to have the worst font in this whole shootin' match.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Hearing Jim Nantz do that Hardcore Pawn promo, I could almost hear the Masters piano in the background.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Might have been another kind of tinkle.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Yeah LaSalle. For your Friday viewing pleasure, 60% of the Big 5. Unfortunately, odds are stacked against each one of them. I say one team gets to the weekend - probably Temple. But shit, this would be awesome if LaSalle can take it to K State.

FWIW, I grew up a LaSalle fan. Speedy Morris is from my neighborhood, still lives here. I missed the game. My daughter wasn't feeling good so when I went to put her to bed tonight, I ended up staying longer than anticipated. Sang songs with her after reading her books. Just wanted to put her at ease because we think she has another ear infection - something like #5,198 this year. So, of course I fell asleep. I wake up after midnight. 15 text messages from two of my good friends that were watching the game - one of which used to go to Speedy's basketball camps as a kid. And a vmail from a good friend and LaSalle alum that was going to be watching the game about 20 minutes from my house (Conshohocken, I know there is at least one swamper that lives (lived) there). I totally would have gone to the bar and drank a few lawnmower beers while watching LaSalle play in and win a tourney game for the first time since I was in HS. This is also the guy that I used to go to the A-10 tourney with in the late 90s/early 00s to watch LaSalle's midday games vs the likes of Rhode Island and the Bonnies (shout out to the Spectrum!). So, I missed out.

I had strong feelings about a W tonight. And to be honest, even though it's the tourney - I still view Thursday as the official beginning. IMHO, the First Four wreaks of second wild card in MLB. I like it and typically watch the games but it doesn't have that je ne sesi quoi that playing among 16 other games in one day does. I DEFINITELY will not be missing Friday's game. I think this season and winning tonight will be a huge springboard for recruiting this year and next. Hopefully they can build on it. Any more wins and it's just icing on the cake. The nice thing is it appears that LaSalle is back! Now I have to go find out if there is a replay I can watch tonight.

If they lose on Friday and miss the tourney for the next 21 years, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will remind my daughter of tonight for every year from now until their next tourney appearance. That won't be necessary thought because the Explorers are back.

Congrats to the alum - Smyrna, daruzz(?) and whoever else I may be forgetting.
oh shit...
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

So, there is a listing on CBS Sports Network for NCAA Basketball Tournament at 2am tonight - 10 minutes from now. The description, which would typically show you who is playing just says "A First Four game". So now, I am wishing it's the late game. It has to be right? I mean, the James Madison game had to be replayed already.

Rest assured, if the LaSalle game isn't on in a few minutes, I will be pissed. The best case scenario is that I get to watch the LaSalle game at 2am.
oh shit...
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Hello friends, it's Jim Nantz along with Clark Kellogg.

BAM!! Battle of the 13 seeds. Let's do this. Time for a tall glass of water!!!
oh shit...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Ah yes, stuff that happened when even Howard was young.
Scottie wrote:While you're at it . . . look up "Lobogate".
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is kinda fascinating. Some bizarre stuff in here, like the fact that San Francisco supports Michigan more than any other NCAA Tournament team (yes, including Cal)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!