The Walking Dead Thread Walks Again

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

The Walking Dead Thread Walks Again

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Anyone? Afterwards, I was left with a sense that the episode was a bit silly. But the scene in the abandoned building was probably one of the scariest scenes I can remember in the whole series.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Re: The Walking Dead Thread Walks Again

Post by howard test2 »

I liked it ok. Sure, a bit silly. But they set up the end of the show nicely, covered some plot ground (moved Milton's arc forward, same for Tyreese), and gave us some thrills with Angela v Governor. (I know, every true villan has to defy certain death, but give me a fucking break.)

I am looking forward to a twist or two, in the last two episodes of the season, that make me flash back and view some earlier events completely differently. I'm looking at you, Milton. Or Penny. Hint--"I knew Phillip before all this…"
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
BSF21

Post by BSF21 »

Thought last night's episode was very well done. I have been waiting for Andrea to bite it and I really thought she would buy the farm this episode. The warehouse scene was exceptionally done. Interesting to hear Laurie Holden on Talking Dead last night explain that it was all organic and they never told her when The Guv'nah was going to drag his shovel or break something.

Interested to see if they swap Andrea out with Michonne's position from the comic books and how dark it gets.

Highlight below for comic spoiler:
Guv'nah captures Michonne and rapes/tortures her mercilessly. When she is rescued she then goes back to Woodbury and does some pretty unspeakable shit to the Guv'nah in retribution.

The pacing was fantastic throughout. I'm expecting to see Milton become a much bigger player in the last 2 episodes.

Also, I thought it was brilliant writing to have Rick in the tower as Andrea came up to the prison. A very neat play on the state of his psyche. "Was that someone? I swear I saw someone out there. Probably just visions of my dead wife again..."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote:Interesting to hear Laurie Holden on Talking Dead last night explain that it was all organic and they never told her when The Guv'nah was going to drag his shovel or break something.
Laurie Holden sounded a helluva lot smarter than Andrea seems to be.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I too enjoyed her thoughts on her character and on other folks. I enjoyed Todd McFarlane's ideas as well (clearly he influenced my post above). I never read the Spawn books, but man, that dude is dark. I suppose owning the post-Gretzky Oilers will do that to a guy.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Odd how humans can walk through areas with lots of things that make noise on the ground/floor (dried leaves/weeds/etc. in the forest, broken glass covered floor) and make tons of noise while walkers who do sneak attacks make nary a sound. Also, why not breathe through your nose when someone is trying to murder you inside a dark, silent building?

Why didn't Andrea steal the Governor's truck when she left the warehouse since he left the lights on when he pulled up (or just disable it by puncturing the tires with her knife)? Hell, why didn't she just go back to the road instead of walking cross country after the truck headed to the walker pit (with Martinez, Tyreese, etc.) passed by (and she killed the super-silent walkers)?

Regarding the final two episodes, I wouldn't be surprised that if next week is an episode similar to this most recent one in that it focuses on the prison to show what they were doing while the Woodbury folks were doing their stuff, including a scene near the end featuring Rick on watch in the tower right before Andrea finds the prison, including his double take in her direction (most likely after a hallucination of Laurie - you're right there on this one, BSF). After all, the day that began when Andrea stumbled onto the prison is the day when Rick and the Governor are supposed to meet again at noon.

The opening flashback scene was pointless. Andrea and Michonne having a conversation where Michonne doesn't open up. Gave us nothing.

Odd how the episodes are better when they focus on characters instead of just butchering walkers.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was so heated when Andrea was like "Whew! I successfully evaded being seen by a passing vehicle by being super deep in these woods. Might as well take a nap!" Not for nothing, but the idiot should have seen 3 (!) of those mother fuckers coming at her. The 4th one on the other side should have been seen when she hid there in the first place.

I also got mad when she's suddenly noticed in the middle of the field and the Governor who happened to be driving by spots her. And then again after she successfully escapes him to, like you say, not even try to get his vehicle? C'mon. She'd fail the "Buddies, Weapons, Options" portion of the combatives class I took. Then out of nowhere he randomly seizes her at the foot of the prison? I know Hollywood likes to jazz up sequences where the bad guy/killer just happens to show up, but that was ridiculous.

Other than those moments, I liked the flow of the episode. I hope in these last 2 episodes Tyresse is a major player.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

I'm waiting for Rick to shoot the governor dead when the guv pulls the gun duct taped to the bottom of the warehouse table only to find Rick unloaded it prior to the guv arriving.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I do not like the Rick decision to sacrifice Michonne. Because it is just stupid. And I look forward to that voice of morality and reason Merle to talk him out of it.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Michael Rooker seals his Emmy award tonight. Assisted by a great plot twist.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

Fuck me, what an ending.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That is how I wanna roll. Driving a white-trash muscle car; drinkin' crap whiskey; listening to Motörhead.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Brit actors on this show, when I see them on Talking Dead, all sound so weird. Andrew Lincoln, David Morrisey and Laurie Cohan (but her American accent sucks).

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

howard wrote:The Brit actors on this show, when I see them on Talking Dead, all sound so weird. Andrew Lincoln, David Morrisey and Laurie Cohan (but her American accent sucks).

I think Lincoln's accent is pretty spotty also.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

howard wrote:That is how I wanna roll. Driving a white-trash muscle car; drinkin' crap whiskey; listening to Motörhead.
That was a Caprice on dubs, right? White trash would have been a '77 Trans Am. That car was straight gangsta.

Just like Merle.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

Any place to watch This Sorrowful Life online without having to download any software?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

All caught up. That last episode was pretty great. What was up with the phone (again)? And how difficult is to to chew through fingers?

Don't really get the point of the position Andrea is in right now, other than I would guess they aren't going to kill her off and this gets her out of the way.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That was a great episode. That was a clever way to end the Merle storyline. They could to rehabilitate him - that would have been silly. Having him be a complete dick, repent and then go out in a blaze of glory was fantastic. And he took out a bunch of the Governor's best men along the way.

Was that the first zombie attack from a main character?
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Season Finale is titled "Into the Tombs"

Theories:

-- Refers to the amount of dead from the assault on the prison. Reportedly up to 27? My bet is another main will die outside of Andrea. Likely Hershel, Emily Kinney, or Lil' Asskicker. Another comic crossover: The baby dies by getting shot through Lori who is still alive at the time of the initial prison assault. No that is not a joke.

-- Cliffhanger~ The title refers to Rick and the group being forced to retreat into the tombs by the assault, either leading the Guv to believe they have chosen to run, or following them in at his and his men's peril.

-- I am totally wrong and Kirkman and Mezzara have something even more wicked up their sleeve.

I am so beyond excited for Sunday.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

rass wrote:All caught up. That last episode was pretty great. What was up with the phone (again)? And how difficult is to to chew through fingers?

Don't really get the point of the position Andrea is in right now, other than I would guess they aren't going to kill her off and this gets her out of the way.
I think he knocked Michonne out cold with the phone.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote:Was that the first zombie attack from a main character?
Does Shane count? Or Sophie? If not, then Andrea's sister probably doesn't, either.

slimchristian wrote:I think he knocked Michonne out cold with the phone.
I thought he whacked her with his stump. Maybe he just used the cord to tie her up, but the way the camera went out of it's way to linger on the phone, I thought they were making a call (ha!) back to Rick's experiences, and it wasn't clear why they would do that.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:I do not like the Rick decision to sacrifice Michonne. Because it is just stupid. And I look forward to that voice of morality and reason Merle to talk him out of it.
This, a million times. Not just Rick, but Darryl and Herschel, too. No one thinks, "Hey, maybe the crazed psychopath is lying"?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I thought the phone was a sign that despite the evil veneer, Merle IS a human under there. He feels the weight of his actions. He cares. His sanity is slipping a bit and maybe he needs a chat with someone (an old girlfriend, his mom, his former self?) that was good in his life. That was a nice clue to the change he would actually make later in the episode after Michonne poked her finger in that wound - the line about not having to live with herself when the Governor was done with her. She was right, Merle did have guilt and he DID want to be Daryl's brother again.

I'm gonna miss hating Merle.

BTW, when Rick was giving his speech to the crew, I noticed they had him, Carl, Maggie, Glenn, one-legged Hershel, the other sister and the mousy woman. That's it. They had no reason to believe that Merle, Michonne or even Daryl were ever coming back.

That's it. That crew against Woodbury.

They should have been packing their shit and filling gasoline cans for the road.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

AMC is running all the episodes in a marathon this week. Going back to season one, I am forced to reconsider Shane. I thought he was duplicitous and bad from the start. But, he basically was OK, but he snapped. Not long after Rick found them, he started to lose it. His hyper-violent response to Carol's husband slapping her was the first manifestation.

The flashback to Shane in Rick's hospital room confirms his goodness, back then. And part of what led to his snapping, he was truthful in telling Lori that Rick was dead--he thought he was, he could not hear a heartbeat.

Seeing the development of Darryl is cool, knowing how he and Merle progressed over the episodes. When they tell Darryl that they left Merle behind, he goes off, and gets grabbed from behind and taken down by Shane, and he has a great line. "Hey, choke hold's illegal!"

I love the CDC scenes upon further review. They did the 'science' and Doc Jenner quite nicely.

One opinion that has only deepened--Lori is so fucking annoying from day zero.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I had forgot the scene, at the farm, in the kitchen, when Lori and Andrea have the apocalyptic bitch-off. 'You're the biggest bitch--no, you are!' Same episode Rick and Shane have their knock-down, drag-out fistfight.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

howard wrote:One opinion that has only deepened--Lori is so fucking annoying from day zero.
Compared to the Lori in the comic, she is tame and sane.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Just watched Merle's denouement. Gangsta ride; bottle of cheap whiskey; Motörhead on the cassette deck; assault rifle with a full clip. That is how I wanna roll in the zombie apocalypse.

This should be a fun episode.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I would have been much more involved in the Andrea/Milton situation had their positions been reversed. As it was, don't care. Dooooooooooooooooooooooon't caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare.

Overall, anti-climactic?
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

Actually got to see the finale. Holy crap there are a ton of cliffhangers. A few too many for my taste.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So fucking happy Andrea is dead. Just lollygag and lollygag and lollygag getting the pliers while looking so lovingly at Milton. No urgency. No sense of life or death. She paid for it in the end. Thankfully.

As far as Carl goes, I'm glad he popped the kid, personally. The second you tell someone to drop the gun and he/she doesn't in Zombie World, I'm capping you. I may yell an additional time, but you don't step closer slowly with a firearm in hand. Sorry, but you're dead every time.

And how about the Governor, eh? Kill everyone just because. That was quite the scene. I'm just glad that Cutty is on the good guys' side again.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

I'm thinking that the Guv's crew wasn't too fearsome if he was able to cap about 30 people without any of them managing to escape or return fire.

I had a Walking Dead dream last night that I was in the show and one of the places I took shelter happened to be a martial arts academy. All the Zombies still retained a sort muscle memory and were capable of parrying away my blows to their heads.
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

rass wrote:All caught up. That last episode was pretty great. What was up with the phone (again)? And how difficult is to to chew through fingers?
With all the cows dead Merle's fingers are brittle from only drinking:

This joke also works for Kevin Ware
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:I would have been much more involved in the Andrea/Milton situation had their positions been reversed. As it was, don't care. Dooooooooooooooooooooooon't caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare.

Overall, anti-climactic?
Yep. Andrea's death is played up to be exceptionally dramatic, but since no one cares about someone colossally stupid, it is just running out the clock.

I don't see any point in the Governor any more. He's batshit crazy, has two people "following" him (who are quite possibly going to kill him when they get a chance, and will be roaming on his own (can't go back to Woodbury). His only remaining purpose is to be a roaming thorn in the side of the prison group, which seems pointless. Based on how Martinez got along with Daryl during the walker "attack" during the meeting between Rick and the Governor, I would expect he would be entertaining the idea of killing the Governor and aligning with the prison group (and half thought he was going to when the Governor was waiting for him to get in the truck after the slaughter.

With the previous claim of running out of food at the prison, I am interested in seeing how this influx of mostly older women and children stresses the group. Carl was right in his skepticism of bringing them in from a "survive" perspective, which is his point of view. Rick keeps flailing around with trying to do what is right in the "old" world.

But, hey, the female survivor from Woodbury who had previously popped off her mouth seems available to step into the void of "one-dimensional, probably stupid" female character left open by Andrea's death.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shrew wrote:I'm thinking that the Guv's crew wasn't too fearsome if he was able to cap about 30 people without any of them managing to escape or return fire.
You know, now that you mention it, that should have ended like Reservoir Dogs. Everyone armed and trigger happy, on edge because of what they just escaped. Hell just the fact that rounds went off should have triggered contagious shooting, right?

Also, I guess as a stickler for details, I'd want to know how many people entered the prison and then died compared with who got away. Plus, that prison is pretty big. You'd think that they would have broken up into smaller groups and explored parts of the prison instead of all going into one cell where they were trapped.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Does anyone have a good reason why they went back to the prison instead of taking over Woodbury?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Does anyone have a good reason why they went back to the prison instead of taking over Woodbury?
Governor knows Woodbury. Easy for him to sneak in and wreak havoc. Or just breech a wall and let the biters invade and wreak havoc. Not enough able-bodies remain to provide normal perimeter defense of Woodbury against biters, much less higher level security necessary against the Gov.

Prison is easier to defend.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Honestly, if I wanted to watch a bunch of brain dead, homicidal morons walk around Georgia, I'd go outside more.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Most reaction I've heard has been negative, but overall I liked it.

I like the way they've set the governor up as a wandering enemy for the future. Great potential as the occasional foil for the group. Fucking around with them here and there, his group getting bigger encounter by encounter, until he's raised an army big enough to take on the growing prison population.

I was actually bummed to see Andrea leave. Sure, she was a dumbass, but she was an original dumbass. Core of the group. They had the perfect opportunity for character redemption, but I guess they figure with Michonne, Beth, Maggie, Carol, etc.. to work with, they have plenty of female chars available.
That said, I hated all the fake drama they had to create with her wasting so much time. Smart move Andrea, talk to the dying guy. You can chit chat while you move your fucking feet.

Hershel totally threw Carl under the bus. Yeah, it was a scared kid, but despite several warnings, he didn't drop his gun, and was acting real hinky with the "here, let me hand it to you" crap. I get where they want to go with it, but he could have easily put a shotgun sized hole into Carl's gut before Hershel would have had time to react.

Looking forward to seeing how they handle the newly created Rick-Daryl-Tyrese triangle. I also hope they finally clear the fucking prison, instead of letting so many walkers walk. Now that they have a sizeable contingent again (read: cannon fodder) , they can get back to sealing off the field, repairing the fences, and clearing the tombs.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

I basically agree with everything said here.
Andrea talked too much. I did like her line about "knowing where the safety is".
Why couldn't Milton get the pliers?
I'd imagine they will be raiding Woodbury soon and taking everything of value back to the prison.
Carl was right to kill that kid.
Rick and Michonne will be hooking up.