Video Games Thread (See first post for Swamper handles)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: Video Games Thread (See first post for Swamper handles)

Post by Ryan »

We randomly bought some Animal Crossing amiibo cards a long time ago, even though none of us knew what Animal Crossing was. Come to find out you can scan those cards in this game and they'll come camp on your island and move in if you talk to them enough. And yes, Antonio is right in front of me now.

(The jock character type is apparently pretty popular. We have two of them. One's funny, one sucks.)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is two player mode just to see how long siblings can go without flipping out?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It’s bad and everyone figured out that’s it’s purposely bad so that people will just buy multiple Switches.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:49 pm Jedi fallen order is amazing as frustrating hell at the same time.
This game was fun. But the last 15% kinda sucked.
[+] spoiler
There’s a huge boss fight that was hard as hell and then the next boss fight is like ten minutes later. It was hard too but it was the last fight and the finale was more cutscene than fight. Reminded me a lot of the first shadow of Mordor game. It needed one more medium campaign to be fulfilling in my opinion.
Fun game. Tough. I’ll send it to anyone who wants it as I don’t see any replay ability. pS4. I’ll pay shipping too. (I played it on the next to highest difficulty level as an experienced gamer but it has levels that are probably fun for casual as well)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My oldest daughter is dominating play because she’s got more free time so I can’t blame her too much but she’s advanced far enough past me and she gets pissed if I so much as move a tree and this evening she made me enter a code to fly to some island and when I got there everything was blocked off except one apple tree and when I shook it the person dressed like one of the Chipettes picked up all of the apples but one and then blocked my way to the plane and said “pay me” and I just stood there for 30 seconds and then they moved and I got on the plane and went home and bought some ugly wallpaper from a camel.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Just the best

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Missed the note on shelf life in the fine print of the turnip contract. Nice of my kid to mention it this morning when it was too late.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Here's a demo of the new Unreal Engine 5 as played on a PlayStation 5. It will give you an idea of what video games will look like the coming years. If your monitor can support it, watch the below video in 4k.

My favorite comment about the video: "At the edge of our universe there's probably just a gigantic wall displaying the words 'Powered by Unreal Engine'"

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I don't want to actually get injured when I get tackled in a Madden game
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

If you're a PC gamer, and don't already have it, GTA V is free via Epic Games.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:02 pm I don't want to actually get injured when I get tackled in a Madden game
Vontaze burfict probably won’t be in the game.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:02 pm I don't want to actually get injured when I get tackled in a Madden game
Lame and old. To be edgy you should have said James Harrison.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 am
Burfict got suspended for dirty hits last year.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:20 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 am
Burfict got suspended for dirty hits last year.
Harrison is admitting yesterday to taking payments from Tomlin for bounty hits...on a Browns player no less.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kid wants a higher quality of villagers and hates Rex (no relation, I think). I like the dude, always giving me DIYs and we have matching shitty camel sourced wallpaper.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

She resorted to time traveling and apparently succeeded in getting Rex to leave.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

But we just grossed over 1MM on a trip to an island selling turnips at 527 so she can trade a sad sack lion for a pink dog or whatever Fuschia is.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

“Pro skills” - my kids

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Island just got a 5 star rating. Not sure that she’s ever been more proud of herself.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hookers I have bought The Last of Us II. I may take a big rip so I can wake up at six and start playing it. (It’s downloading now and it may be a bit)

Last ride of the PS4. Can’t imagine I’ll buy another game before that comes out.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:04 pm But we just grossed over 1MM on a trip to an island selling turnips at 527 so she can trade a sad sack lion for a pink dog or whatever Fuschia is.
I play the game and don’t really understand any of what you’re saying there. We just got our new residents, highlighted by a very lazy, very Italian gorilla named Al, and I just learned you can shit out fruit.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My daughter grew bored with it over the past week. I knew something was up when she skipped buying turnips last Sunday.

This week I sort of missed her playing while I was trying to work and me telling her I was on a call and couldn’t look at what she was doing and her not hearing me because she was watching YT videos about Animal Crossing at the same time she was playing and have ear buds in.

It goes so fast!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

^^^she's back on board, I think we conclusively have every possible flower in the game on our island now

This is nuts:
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So my son has been managing the desktop computer. Adding and removing games on the steam account. Last night went to spend a few minutes managing DC United on FM 2020...yup he had uninstalled the game and bye bye 3 seasons of leading the black and red. Bummer but on the other hand the MLS roster rules are so crazy I was struggling to get 18 rostered for league games. So new campaign as the USMNT coach. 2-2 draw with Tunisa in the first game....John Brooks Red card hurt getting that result.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

and for other forms of soccer/football, Rockett League is free to play.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I sim raced for the first time in my life and ... it was fun? even though I made it a half lap in my race before a huge crash ahead of me left me nowhere to go.

this stuff is absurdly expensive/overwhelming though. I'm fortunate that I have a hookup (and care enough about racing to jump through the hoops) but this is way more than firing up a console/computer and driving. you have to have a good enough computer/graphics card for the platform, a good wheel (I don't have that and apparently the baseline wheels are $250+), a subscription to the service, an account with the painting service if you want custom painted cars, a subscription to that service if you want to save your custom painted cars and then time to practice your sim racing

I can see myself doing this every couple weeks or so in a league especially since I'm racing with people I know. but I don't know about more than that.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:11 am I sim raced for the first time in my life and ... it was fun? even though I made it a half lap in my race before a huge crash ahead of me left me nowhere to go.

this stuff is absurdly expensive/overwhelming though. I'm fortunate that I have a hookup (and care enough about racing to jump through the hoops) but this is way more than firing up a console/computer and driving. you have to have a good enough computer/graphics card for the platform, a good wheel (I don't have that and apparently the baseline wheels are $250+), a subscription to the service, an account with the painting service if you want custom painted cars, a subscription to that service if you want to save your custom painted cars and then time to practice your sim racing

I can see myself doing this every couple weeks or so in a league especially since I'm racing with people I know. but I don't know about more than that.
My buddy is real big into this and I can put you guys in touch if you want some more info. You're correct that it is very involved and can get very expensive. He's been doing 24 hour races with his "team" in the last few months which I find super cool. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

lol i wouldn't be surprised if I know him or know who he is -- I have friends who did the Rolex 24 race last week.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:11 am lol i wouldn't be surprised if I know him or know who he is -- I have friends who did the Rolex 24 race last week.
He said there were a ton of people. Something like 51 servers all with races so a couple thousand people all said.

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

I'm not sure I belong here but I'd been intrigued about OOTP baseball for years - I grew up playing baseball historical sim board games (Avalon HIll's Superstar Baseball, Statis-Pro) and fully nerding out...keeping stats, trades, etc. Blast. honestly i'd do it again rightthisfreakingminute :)

anyways a few months ago an old friend (and fellow high-school Superstar BB player) texted me asking if there was an equivalent online thing we could pass the time on during the age of covid, i looked into OOTP but there was considerable setup (?) to get our own "league" (hosting, sharing of files, f that noise) so I passed.

But over the holidays I saw the $5 sale for OOTP 21 and thought shit, even if i play one game of it it's worth 5 bucks so I made my first venture into the Steam world - having no fng clue about it (i used to love videogames but once it started getting really complex I lost interest). I've been enjoying it, i don't have much interest in fake leagues or GM simulating 100 years as i enjoy playing as an in-game manager. It seems pretty good for that - I've been managing the 84 Tigers against the 86 Mets.

the OOTP universe looks (too) massive, though. Each time I log in i'm bombarded by potential add-ons, you can buy cards...perfect teams... no idea what these mean.

Anyone else play? Have any tips? There are hundreds of tutorials etc but all I really want would be to have a customizable roster with like a 4-team league, trade Roy Campanella for Jimmie Foxx, etc.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:35 am I'm not sure I belong here but I'd been intrigued about OOTP baseball for years - I grew up playing baseball historical sim board games (Avalon HIll's Superstar Baseball, Statis-Pro) and fully nerding out...keeping stats, trades, etc. Blast. honestly i'd do it again rightthisfreakingminute :)

anyways a few months ago an old friend (and fellow high-school Superstar BB player) texted me asking if there was an equivalent online thing we could pass the time on during the age of covid, i looked into OOTP but there was considerable setup (?) to get our own "league" (hosting, sharing of files, f that noise) so I passed.

But over the holidays I saw the $5 sale for OOTP 21 and thought shit, even if i play one game of it it's worth 5 bucks so I made my first venture into the Steam world - having no fng clue about it (i used to love videogames but once it started getting really complex I lost interest). I've been enjoying it, i don't have much interest in fake leagues or GM simulating 100 years as i enjoy playing as an in-game manager. It seems pretty good for that - I've been managing the 84 Tigers against the 86 Mets.

the OOTP universe looks (too) massive, though. Each time I log in i'm bombarded by potential add-ons, you can buy cards...perfect teams... no idea what these mean.

Anyone else play? Have any tips? There are hundreds of tutorials etc but all I really want would be to have a customizable roster with like a 4-team league, trade Roy Campanella for Jimmie Foxx, etc.
Know about it? I’m the fucking league MVP.

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

HA oh shit that's right you guys have a league. goddammit i'm a fucking idiot - i gotta find that thread
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:03 pm HA oh shit that's right you guys have a league. goddammit i'm a fucking idiot - i gotta find that thread
It's not really a league in the sense where we are all running teams. It's a fictional league I run where Swampers are players and others follow along.

I think you're a backup middle infielder on one the teams, but I can bump you up if you're more interested.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

fuck yeah... well let me work on my glovework and positioning a little bit first.
Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:10 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:03 pm HA oh shit that's right you guys have a league. goddammit i'm a fucking idiot - i gotta find that thread
It's not really a league in the sense where we are all running teams. It's a fictional league I run where Swampers are players and others follow along.

I think you're a backup middle infielder on one the teams, but I can bump you up if you're more interested.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

NCAA Football coming back.....
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:11 pm NCAA Football coming back.....
At the moment, this is incorrect. Just EA College Football without the NCAA approval so far. Apparently did get the licensing to use school names mascots, etc.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah there are a couple of convenient workarounds right now

there's no NCAA license, so the NCAA itself won't make a dime on it

since NIL is in flux, EA says that it's proceeding with fake rosters that won't resemble the real-life rosters. that's the hedge against NIL reform as it'd be hard for players to say that they have a claim to money if they can't prove it's them in the game.

ultimately, I think the rosters are real if NIL reform gets figured out and EA works out something with the schools. but if they keep the rosters to be modified by users, that may ultimately be a moot point.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

And of course there will be a feature that lets folks customize the teams on their own and download them from some add on etc etc.

You will also see each bowl license their stuff...it will happen