Swampers on the golf course

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Swampers on the golf course

Post by Sabo »

I carded my first-ever eagle yesterday. It only took me 20+ years to accomplish this achievement, but it finally happened. I hit a driver and 3-hybrid to get the ball on the green, and then sank a 15-foot putt for eagle. It was a hell of a way to start the round (Hole 1 at Hawk's Nest Golf Club). I also managed to birdie the 18th hole, which made a nice bookend to a pretty decent round of golf. I finished with an 87, which is pretty good for me considering how little I've played the last few years. Yesterday was only my fifth round of golf this year.

Anyone else been swinging the sticks much this year?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swampers on the golf course

Post by A_B »

I've been cursed with Good 9/Bad 9 disease. Last few roudns I have played have been wildly inconsistent. 48+ on one side, then sub-42 on the other. Played one nine where I was level par for six consecutive holes (4 pars, one birdie one bogey) but the other three were all double bogeys or worse.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:I carded my first-ever eagle yesterday. It only took me 20+ years to accomplish this achievement, but it finally happened. I hit a driver and 3-hybrid to get the ball on the green, and then sank a 15-foot putt for eagle. It was a hell of a way to start the round (Hole 1 at Hawk's Nest Golf Club). I also managed to birdie the 18th hole, which made a nice bookend to a pretty decent round of golf. I finished with an 87, which is pretty good for me considering how little I've played the last few years. Yesterday was only my fifth round of golf this year.

Nice round!

I think I've played four times. Before March, my previous best was a 106, but I shattered that at a course in Austin by shooting a 92. I had a run of four pars in a row that day. I shot a 102 next time out, but back to a 99 the last. It's been a month or so and right about now it's really hard to play golf in this weather.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I've been up and down all season. Finally invested in some new irons this year and the distances are still befuddling me a little bit. A few rounds in the high 90s, few in the low 90s. Nothing fun to write home about.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've only made it out three times - and once was at a par 3.

Managed to break 50 on the back 9 of a good course which will tell you my skill level, but that included a putt of about 25 feet. It was for double bogey, but still.

My goal this year is not to embarrass myself when I get to Scotland - with time allotted for three rounds including the Strahyryum Course in St. Andrews.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I know we say this every year, but we need to do another Swamp golf outing.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Sabo wrote:I know we say this every year, but we need to do another Swamp golf outing.
I can do that, for comic relief.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:I know we say this every year, but we need to do another Swamp golf outing.
I'm fully behind it as I always am.

(Go ahead MrD disciples)

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:
I'm fully behind it as I always am.
We can have a mini-Swamp outing the next time you come to Cleveland. Bring your clubs and we'll grab a tee time. In fact, you can pay for my round and then you can write it off as a business expense. #smartthinking
Yard of Junk
Maude Lebowski

Post by Yard of Junk »

Sabo wrote:I carded my first-ever eagle yesterday. It only took me 20+ years to accomplish this achievement, but it finally happened. I hit a driver and 3-hybrid to get the ball on the green, and then sank a 15-foot putt for eagle. It was a hell of a way to start the round (Hole 1 at Hawk's Nest Golf Club). I also managed to birdie the 18th hole, which made a nice bookend to a pretty decent round of golf. I finished with an 87, which is pretty good for me considering how little I've played the last few years. Yesterday was only my fifth round of golf this year.

About to tee it up three straight days at some nice courses in Hilton Head. Can't wait. I 've only played three or four times this year, which is far less than I usually do. For some reason on the few rounds I've played in 2014, the middle joint on my left "bird" finger hurts when I grip the golf club. This has never happened before. I feel a little pain when I flex it during the work day, but golf really seems to aggravate it. Dr. Google has nothing for me on this. I'm trying to ice it/heat it a bit, and plan to spray some drugstore joint relief stuff on it before playing. Anyone have any other suggestion?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Yard of Junk wrote:

About to tee it up three straight days at some nice courses in Hilton Head. Can't wait. I 've only played three or four times this year, which is far less than I usually do. For some reason on the few rounds I've played in 2014, the middle joint on my left "bird" finger hurts when I grip the golf club. This has never happened before. I feel a little pain when I flex it during the work day, but golf really seems to aggravate it. Dr. Google has nothing for me on this. I'm trying to ice it/heat it a bit, and plan to spray some drugstore joint relief stuff on it before playing. Anyone have any other suggestion?
I'm pretty sure most physicians would tell you to lop it off with a pocket knife. No finger? No problems!

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So a friend got me a cool little golf scorecard notebook where you keep track of stats for your round. I knew I had been putting pretty well, but got to looking yesterday after taking 12 putts during a 9 hole walk last night. I haven't three putted in 97 holes.

Granted, I don't hit a whole lot of greens so I often am chipping from near the green so it's a bit easier to avoid three putts that way, but I'm still pretty pleased with that.

Have also carded at least one birdie every time I've played, even when I am just playing 9 holes. Not scoring great as I also still end up with a 7 or an 8 on my card, but oh well.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rumor has it that AB chipped in for eagle on a par 5 today. Rumor also has it that he stiffed the tee shot to within four feet on the par 3 following the eagle, which he sank for a birdie.

Rumor also has it that he then gave all those strokes back on the next two holes.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hit the links this morning at a decent municipal course. Went by myself so was paired up with an older guy (70 or so) who pissed me off because he hit everything straight.

But may have been the least friendly man in the world. Ignored my comments and compliments and only made one comment that didn't relate to the weather.

"That's some draw" as my drive cleared two fairways in a history making hook.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I'm going back and forth on getting new clubs this winter. My set of Ping clone irons is at least 10 years old, and I'm due for upgrades to my driver and fairway woods. My irons are "super improvement" irons, which have wide soles to help get the ball in the air. I don't have a problem getting the ball up, so I might try to get something thinner to help give me more control. The only clubs I'll definitely keep from my current set is my gap wedge (Cleveland CG 14) and my putter. (Cue AB's impending joke that I should replace my putter ASAP because I can't putt for shit.)

Has anyone bought new clubs recently? If so, what did you get and do you like them? And has anyone been fitted at Golfsmith or Golftec? I'm considering going through the Golftec fitting, but I'm not sure I want to pay the $150 for the fitting and over analysis.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:I'm going back and forth on getting new clubs this winter. My set of Ping clone irons is at least 10 years old, and I'm due for upgrades to my driver and fairway woods. My irons are "super improvement" irons, which have wide soles to help get the ball in the air. I don't have a problem getting the ball up, so I might try to get something thinner to help give me more control. The only clubs I'll definitely keep from my current set is my gap wedge (Cleveland CG 14) and my putter. (Cue AB's impending joke that I should replace my putter ASAP because I can't putt for shit.)

Has anyone bought new clubs recently? If so, what did you get and do you like them? And has anyone been fitted at Golfsmith or Golftec? I'm considering going through the Golftec fitting, but I'm not sure I want to pay the $150 for the fitting and over analysis.
http://www.callawaypreowned.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Probably the last round of the year and I was sucking big time until the last three. Bogey (lipping out a par putt), easy par, 15 footer for par.

I can lock away the clubs happily.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Golfed at the nearby muni (a fairly tough course) and one of the usual foursome couldn't make it. We were matched with a 71 year old guy who had a swing that looked like Charles Barkley's - club lifted straight in the air, half-second pause and then down like an axe chopping wood.

I am in the middle of a package of lessons, so I noticed that this guy did everything wrong. From foot placement to weight shot... it just was comical to see.

And of course he came in at 83 and lipped out a couple of par putts as well.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I kinda like the half second pause at the top. Keeps me from swinging it on the way down. Should probably invest in some lessons but I just cant make it out to the course enough. Even the kids beg me to get them out to the par 3 by the pool but between the office and the bar theres not much time for fun. There is a massive "Top Golf" complex going up right down the street from the house, so maybe if I make that my new bar, I'll improve the game a lot. Ive got good hand-eye coordination and knock it around the track ok when I get out there but 1-2x a year isnt enough to improve.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

JoJo - the older guy we played with - said that he'd taken lessons for years, but saw no improvement. So he just stuck with his crazy swing and practiced.

Whatever works...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I went to the course yesterday fairly confident that I could break 100, and I ended up shooting 84.

It may never happen again, but every part of my game was working. On the second hole, I hit a 20 footer for my first birdie since taking up golf again 5 years ago. And unlike my usual rounds, no two bad shots followed each other. It was a truly magical 4+ hours.

What a feeling.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Coming on the heels of the previous post may lead you to believe that I am a good golfer... I am not.

Shot 102 today, BUT missed a hole in one by a couple of inches. Closest I've come to exploding in my entire life. Not exploding with joy, I think I was about to literally explode.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We had our annual corporate outing yesterday. Scramble format, we used only one of my drives all day (and I only hit one other decent one) despite yesterday being the first time one of our foursome had ever picked up a club. I good iron shot all day, one nice save out of a bunker (that we didn't use), and a handful of OK putts. So I suck. Plus it sort of misted for the first hour or so. Still more fun than an afternoon in the office.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Literally...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:Literally...

So where is the other one?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

You mean the swing?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The other Swamper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:The other Swamper.
Fuck!

AB, ps yourself in there immediately!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:
rass wrote:The other Swamper.
Fuck!

AB, ps yourself in there immediately!
I'm somewhere in a bunker trying to hack out. Sorry.

Remind me to tell you guys of the time I almost qualified for the US Open.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Played a 7,230 yard course from the championship tees today (When it was built it was the longest course in the country).

It was a lot of fun. Got to play more than lob wedges into the green. And confirmed that my putting and chipping is still the worst part of my game. Had four makeable birdies that I missed and shot a 96 thanks to back-to-back holes that I played 7 over after a great start.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Longtime Swamp lurker/occasional Swamp poster Mulligan and I played in a scramble yesterday with his mom and an employee of hers (she owns a real estate brokerage). We were -9 after 10 holes but didn't have as much luck on the remaining holes. We finished at -12, which is probably the best score I've had in a scramble. It was good enough for a second-place tie, and we split a $250 prize.

I also won the long drive-in-a-fairway competition. I hit a drive that I think went about 315-320 yards on a 560+ yard par 5. I was very lucky for the prize for that competition, as the scramble organizers forgot to put out the placard for longest-made putt. They ended up awarding me the putting prize, which was a new Wilson Staff putter. As AB can attest, I am not a skilled putter, so a new putter can only be a good thing.

I even won a door prize, which was one of those cooling towels that you wet with warm water and it cools the towel more than 20 degrees. That prize would've been handy yesterday, since it was in the mid-80s and pretty damn humid.

This has been an excellent golf year for me. I've played 15 rounds this year and broken 90 in 11 of them. That's a marked improvement over last year, when I mostly shot in the low to mid 90s.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:That prize would've been handy yesterday, since it was in the mid-80s and pretty damn humid.
Oh, whaa-fucking-whaa...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Giff wrote:
Sabo wrote:That prize would've been handy yesterday, since it was in the mid-80s and pretty damn humid.
Oh, whaa-fucking-whaa...
I'll remember this when you're whining about cold and/or snow.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:
Giff wrote:
Oh, whaa-fucking-whaa...
I'll remember this when you're whining about cold and/or snow.
I'd be surprised if you found me whining about it...I love the cold (only because we never get very cold, I'm sure).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I shot an 83 yesterday, which is one stroke off my best 18-hole score ever. It's also my best round of the year. And I somehow managed to have that score despite three triple-bogeys and two double-bogeys. My score was helped by four birdies and probably the best putting day I've ever had. I had 31 putts but at least five of those made putts were in the 10+ foot range. Unfortunately the golf season is winding down in NE Ohio but I hope to get out a couple more times. There's no doubt this has been the best golf season of my life given my scores and the number of times I've managed to play.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gorgeous weather here today for golf.

Putted in from 5 feet off the green and maybe 40 feet overall for a birdie. Honestly, I haven't felt a rush like that in a long, long time.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I had an interesting hole this weekend when playing with some friends of mine.

Former Swamper/occasional lurker Mulligan, my friend Bruce and I played Hawk's Nest Golf Club in Creston, Ohio Saturday. The 14th hole is a 290-yard par 4 that plays downhill. It's a risk-reward hole. A straight and long tee shot can reach the green, but there's a creek in the front and a steep slope on the back, so it's not advisable to hit driver. Instead, your best play is to get to about 100-120 yards out and hit a wedge into the green.

And that's the play all three of us made. I hit a 4-iron that went toward the right side of the fairway, hit a slope and kicked toward the center. I was about 100 yards away. Mulligan and Bruce were also in the fairway but a few yards behind me.

Bruce went first. He hit his pitching wedge, and it was going right at the green. The ball landed and rolled to within six feet of the hole. Nice shot.

Mulligan was next. He hit his wedge left of the flag, but it hit a slope that kicked the ball toward the flag. It rolled to within three feet. Great shot!

Now, it was my turn. I just had to get inside of both of their shots. And that was my goal ... take dead aim and fire away. My ball went right at the flag, and as long as I had the yardage right, it was going to be on it. The ball landed a little behind the hole, and from my perspective, it looked like I was inside two feet. Fist pump!

Here's how it looked when we got to the green.

Mulligan's ball is on the right, Bruce's is the one in the back and my ball is to the left. Because I hit it a hair deep, Mulligan's ball was closest. Still, it was very cool to see all three of us hit our balls so close to the flag.

And in typical fashion, Bruce and Mulligan made their birdie putts, and I of course missed right. As AB can attest (and will repeat ad nauseum), I am not the most skilled putter in the world. Still, that whole sequence made for a fun hole.

And in case anyone cares, Mulligan finished with an 82, I finished with an 86 and Bruce finished with a 95.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

SaboSabo, as you can attest, I could have 3-putted from there.

How is bonecrusher Mulligan? Good fellow, there.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

HDO45331 wrote:How is bonecrusher Mulligan? Good fellow, there.
He's doing well. Still practicing in central Ohio and still kicking my butt in golf. He and his wife adopted a boy 2.5 years ago, and that's kept them busy. He and I hope to play golf with AB in mid-September as we head down to Knoxville for the Ohio-Tennessee football game.
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

Since Sabo probably won't post this,

This weekend my father and I went to Cleveland and played two rounds of golf with Sabo. I witnessed him shot his two lowest rounds ever, back to back 80s. Other than a tad bit hot, it was a great weekend for golf and we lucked out with no rain. Beer was good too. 2nd best part was both rounds were free, what a bonus. Great rounds Sabo!

Yes he destroyed me both days!