The Animated GIF Thread (NSFW)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: The Animated GIF Thread (NSFW)

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote:The line is consent, in my opinion.

Any worries about the de-humanizing women aspect of the GIF? Like, would you tell your son it's okay to talk about her that way, since clearly, the GIF his about seeing her nipples through her shirt (and she should have known better than to wear those clothes)? It takes a woman and pretty much treats her only as a sex object, right? If an equally talented woman with a different body type was in the same circumstances, would this GIF have been made, much less celebrated?

I just am curious how we, as individuals and as a society, deal with this stuff and how we parse "this is okay"/"this is not" because the acts we are currently decrying start somewhere as smaller acts like this, no?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote:

Any worries about the de-humanizing women aspect of the GIF? Like, would you tell your son it's okay to talk about her that way, since clearly, the GIF his about seeing her nipples through her shirt (and she should have known better than to wear those clothes)? It takes a woman and pretty much treats her only as a sex object, right? If an equally talented woman with a different body type was in the same circumstances, would this GIF have been made, much less celebrated?

I just am curious how we, as individuals and as a society, deal with this stuff and how we parse "this is okay"/"this is not" because the acts we are currently decrying start somewhere as smaller acts like this, no?

This isn't some random woman off the street. Unless I'm misunderstanding the context, she dressed that way and walked out there knowing she was in front of a crowd and on TV, right? So, she wanted folks to look at her. And we're looking at her. How is that wrong?
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Seeing how Europe isn't hung up on sex like we are here, I don't understand why this is a topic, honestly
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote:

You raise good questions. I'm not really sure if this is the beginning of a slope that leads to something worse. It might be, but I don't know that I'm willing to say that it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there is a lot behind the scenes that I don't even consider (as a white hetero male) that creates an unsavory environment. However, does that mean that we have to stop communicating about what we find attractive? I guess I don't subscribe to the level of feminism that would have all of us not acknowledge what we are aroused by something. That being said, if it does I'll change. My ability to communicate about someone I find attractive isn't worth someone else feeling threatened.

I have less concern about the de-humanizing aspect of this particular event since it was in a public place. I get that that explanation may not make much sense. I know nothing more about what happened than that .gif shows. My initial reaction is that she knew what she was wearing, not that this was a mistake in wardrobe choice.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say, "okay to talk about her that way". No, I would not tell my sons that it is okay to talk women in the way you seem to imply. I'm at what I think is the very end of innocence with my older two boys (11 and 10 yo). We've had a few talks with them and they are still embarrassed to even talk about sex. For me, I think the thing for me with my boys is to act in a manner that I would want them to act. That doesn't mean that I would have them participate in the adult conversations that I have with friends, but I also don't think that those conversations both here and in "real life" come anywhere near what anyone would describe as rape culture.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

You raise good questions. I'm not really sure if this is the beginning of a slope that leads to something worse. It might be, but I don't know that I'm willing to say that it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there is a lot behind the scenes that I don't even consider (as a white hetero male) that creates an unsavory environment. However, does that mean that we have to stop communicating about what we find attractive? I guess I don't subscribe to the level of feminism that would have all of us not acknowledge what we are aroused by something. That being said, if it does I'll change. My ability to communicate about someone I find attractive isn't worth someone else feeling threatened.

I have less concern about the de-humanizing aspect of this particular event since it was in a public place. I get that that explanation may not make much sense. I know nothing more about what happened than that .gif shows. My initial reaction is that she knew what she was wearing, not that this was a mistake in wardrobe choice.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say, "okay to talk about her that way". No, I would not tell my sons that it is okay to talk women in the way you seem to imply. I'm at what I think is the very end of innocence with my older two boys (11 and 10 yo). We've had a few talks with them and they are still embarrassed to even talk about sex. For me, I think the thing for me with my boys is to act in a manner that I would want them to act. That doesn't mean that I would have them participate in the adult conversations that I have with friends, but I also don't think that those conversations both here and in "real life" come anywhere near what anyone would describe as rape culture.

To be clear, I'm not trying to say I have an issue (or want to start an issue) with any particular Swamper. I'm looking to get deeper understanding about how we act. And, I assure you, no matter that brian appreciated the windbreaker I sent him in the "Swamper Acts of Kindness" thread, I know I'm not the nicest guy on the planet and have certainly done stuff like sharing lewd thoughts about photos on the internet. (I remember doing a well-received "caption this" in an earlier iteration of the Swamp where the photo was six female college football fans at a tailgate party and I described one of them as having negotiated free attendance at the party for the group by performing oral on the RV owner.)

I don't think the GIF was made and posted here to start a conversation about Sweden's social mores, but was more "hey look at this woman's tits" and Steve's "Oh, Sweden" was along those lines. I didn't realize it was actually see-through dress but thought it was a stretchy black top that, with the lights, basically becomes see-through for still photography (you can google "Pamela Anderson roast" and click "images" if you don't know what I'm talking about).

We can communicate that she's attractive by saying "she's beautiful", not by "dude, you can see her nips".

I don't know, either. But we have (essentially) "hey, nice tits" as okay in this thread while "you can't call a kid fat" as not okay in another thread. Neither person being written about knows about it, so some would call them both "victimless crimes". Or is the difference she chose to wear that and the kid had no choice about his weight (or at least doesn't know enough to make a well-informed choice) even though neither person knows what is being written about them (and she certainly could have chosen to wear that in order to gain notoriety).

And, does having the "nice tits" eventually lead to sexual harassment? I mean, how does someone like Bill O'Reilly start out, for lack of a better term?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

To be clear, I'm not trying to say I have an issue (or want to start an issue) with any particular Swamper. I'm looking to get deeper understanding about how we act. And, I assure you, no matter that brian appreciated the windbreaker I sent him in the "Swamper Acts of Kindness" thread, I know I'm not the nicest guy on the planet and have certainly done stuff like sharing lewd thoughts about photos on the internet. (I remember doing a well-received "caption this" in an earlier iteration of the Swamp where the photo was six female college football fans at a tailgate party and I described one of them as having negotiated free attendance at the party for the group by performing oral on the RV owner.)

I don't think the GIF was made and posted here to start a conversation about Sweden's social mores, but was more "hey look at this woman's tits" and Steve's "Oh, Sweden" was along those lines. I didn't realize it was actually see-through dress but thought it was a stretchy black top that, with the lights, basically becomes see-through for still photography (you can google "Pamela Anderson roast" and click "images" if you don't know what I'm talking about).

We can communicate that she's attractive by saying "she's beautiful", not by "dude, you can see her nips".

I don't know, either. But we have (essentially) "hey, nice tits" as okay in this thread while "you can't call a kid fat" as not okay in another thread. Neither person being written about knows about it, so some would call them both "victimless crimes". Or is the difference she chose to wear that and the kid had no choice about his weight (or at least doesn't know enough to make a well-informed choice) even though neither person knows what is being written about them (and she certainly could have chosen to wear that in order to gain notoriety).

And, does having the "nice tits" eventually lead to sexual harassment? I mean, how does someone like Bill O'Reilly start out, for lack of a better term?

I didn't take offense, and think it's a good conversation topic. As you may be able to tell from my rambling, it's something I wrestle with a bit. I think there's been a lot of self reflection recently, and for me, I think my goalposts have shifted a bit. I don't have daughters, so I can't point towards that as my reason for reconsidering past notions of what is right and wrong regarding the fairer sex. Shit, "the fairer sex" may not even be proper.

I definitely took the GIF as a "hey look at this woman's tits". Your particular job may have led you to think that this shirt wasn't see through, while I may have overlooked that possibility.

Your distinction with the kid is interesting. I find much more at fault with calling a kid fat than I do with, "hey, nice tits". I guess I see hers as a choice to wear a see through top, but again, it may not have been see through except for still photography.

The bigger question, that I'm not sure of the answer, is your last sentence. Again, my ability to say, "nice tits" about a willing adult woman certainly is outweighed by her (and other women's) right to not be harassed. However, it kind of goes back to my earliest comment. Consent seems to be the key for me.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

D Safe, I hear exactly where you are coming from.

To me, the key facts are (i)we're basically talking privately here, (ii) she is an adult, not a kid, whom we all leered at a few years back), (iii) she was videotaped in a public performance, (iv) it seems to me that she chose to wear a revealing, see-through top, so it's okay to look, and (v) we're not being mean-spirited or promoting misogyny or bigotry.

If I'm wrong about the fourth point, that might change things.

I think a good point of comparison is our leering at Alison Stokke a few years back. She was a minor, she was not doing a public performance, and I doubt she really had much of a choice when it came to wearing tight clothing for a track and field meet. Yet we all went gaga, myself included. In hindsight, that was probably wrong.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

By far, my biggest takeaway with the Weinstein and #metoo stuff is that as a 40-something white hetero male, my job right now is to listen. To really open my mind and my eyes.

I was raised by a feminist in Ann Arbor. I've shifted around the Democratic spectrum from liberal to moderate to probably some flavor of progressive at this point. I thought I was fully aware of what women faced. I truly had no idea it was THIS bad. And it's funny, because I long ago acknowledged that I can't, and never will, be able to fully grasp what it's like being a POC in America. Somehow I think the fact that I treated women with respect and was fully open to the fact that women faced a lot of really dicey and dangerous situations while out at Frat parties* meant I was "aware."

(* - Kind of minimizing for effect here. I have always understood the inherent imbalance and danger women face in any number of places, both public and private. What got to me was the sheer volume on my Fb feed, and how many of my friends and relatives were sharing horrible stories. And those were comfortable saying something in that venue.)

I think this site represents a pretty good group of dudes to attempt to carry off a conversation on this. But I would really encourage everyone to read the difficult to read articles out there... Diana Nyad has a heartbreaking piece out about her abuse at the hands of her childhood coach. There are multiple essays, many of them full of rage and tough to read as a man, essentially saying "it's great that you men are asking these questions now, but HOLY SHIT where have you been??!!"

They are very difficult to read (have I mentioned that?) They are having a major impact on me. And, again, I thought I was already on board. So, this IS the kind of thing we should be questioning. This is EXACTLY what women are talking about. Put another way, have you ever been a room full of just white guys and some guy, seeing the room is the right color, makes a racist joke? I have. I've frozen up, I've walked away in a huff, I've said "hey man, not cool, at all."

I remember that caption thread. It was hilarious. I'm absolutely thinking through stuff like that these days. It's all part of a culture we really need to examine. A woman wearing a see through top doesn't mean she wants to be objectified. I think the question many of us struggle with is "what thoughts or feelings did you think this would elicit?" The response I get from my daughter (when we argue about her outfit) is that it's not about me (as a man), it's about owning your situation, about being confident, proud of your body and yourself.

The biggest thing to stick your lizard brain, as men... It's not always about us.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:The singing of the Swedish national anthem.

Let nobody complain about immigration in Sweden.

ETA: Guh, I responded before seeing this went onto another page. I'm torn here. DSafe and subsequent posts are really making me rethink here. I'll let my sexist (rape culturey?) joke stand to serve as a backdrop for this ramble. I'll admit my mind went straight to objectification. She is a really hot woman in a seethrough dress with no bra. My lizard brain went to objectification, then locker room joke. Is this wrong? It's definitely human nature, and are we becoming thought police? Genuinely thinking out loud here, not making an argument. I absolutely believe there is a huge difference between thinking this picture is hot and making a joke, versus whipping my cock out and jerking off into a plant in front of her.

After reading Jon Ronson's "So You've Been Publicly Shamed," I realize the very real consequences to internet jokes about people who seemingly deserve it. That should be required reading before accessing the internet. It didn't occur to me either that the flash or lighting made the dress see through, and she may have been unaware. Should that matter? I don't know. I see the analogy to the formerly common belief of a rape victim "asking for it" when wearing a short skirt. Is this the same?

I feel like we are on the edge of a cultural shift, and I am the old guy with the no longer acceptable belief that it's ok to make jokes like this. For the first time, I can relate to an Archie Bunker generation guy making racist jokes that were once acceptable, and not getting that he is outside what is acceptable in culture. My instinct is to say it's PC run amok, but maybe the times are changing. OTOH, I see a huge difference between commenting on a hot celebrity in see-through clothes, versus bragging about grabbing women by the pussy because I am rich and famous. I also see a huge difference between using power to pressure women into sex versus commenting about a woman being hot. I do think a celebrity appearing in public is different than commenting about Suzie in accounting. The celebrity put themselves out there, often in large part because of their physical attractiveness. We need to draw a line between sexual harassment, and outlawing masculinity. I think we are currently in a cultural upheaval that will settle the line. At some point, the accusations will get less and less despicable, and society won't shame the celebrity who is accused of something so mild it doesn't offend.
Last edited by The Sybian on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

(I also want to recognize that posted on Facebook, or in the comments of some public article somewhere, what I just wrote would be criticized for White Knight/Social Just Warrior. I hope the group here will cut me some slack, in that in case I missed a sudden surge in female Swampers, I'm not trying to fly some flag to show all the women what a swell guy I am.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote:(I also want to recognize that posted on Facebook, or in the comments of some public article somewhere, what I just wrote would be criticized for White Knight/Social Just Warrior. I hope the group here will cut me some slack, in that in case I missed a sudden surge in female Swampers, I'm not trying to fly some flag to show all the women what a swell guy I am.)

I guess it's a sign of the times that guys who rail against bad things get criticized as SJW's. Like that's a bad thing.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, but on the other hand, if you spend time on Jezebel (I used to spend time on Gawker) you see a lot of dudes that are just obnoxious and rigid and it's more waiving a banner around than having a conversation. It's the nature of the beast in the forum, sure, but some guys are truly just trying to score points.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:(I also want to recognize that posted on Facebook, or in the comments of some public article somewhere, what I just wrote would be criticized for White Knight/Social Just Warrior. I hope the group here will cut me some slack, in that in case I missed a sudden surge in female Swampers, I'm not trying to fly some flag to show all the women what a swell guy I am.)

I guess it's a sign of the times that guys who rail against bad things get criticized as SJW's. Like that's a bad thing.

Yeah, "SJW" can be leveled on you for bing nice these days. Seems a little over the top.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Yeah, but on the other hand, if you spend time on Jezebel (I used to spend time on Gawker) you see a lot of dudes that are just obnoxious and rigid and it's more waiving a banner around than having a conversation. It's the nature of the beast in the forum, sure, but some guys are truly just trying to score points.

You should listen to Joe Rogan's podcast with Jamie Kilstein. He was a SJW pseudo journalist who admittedly got caught up in proving his Liberl worth by attacking and trying to destroy people who said or did anything anti-PC. When the tables turned and Jezebel turned on him, he realized what he did to others, and is now remorseful and shed some fascinating light on what drives the LW nutters SJWs, and how he became obsessed with getting approval of other SJWs.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Yeah, but on the other hand, if you spend time on Jezebel (I used to spend time on Gawker) you see a lot of dudes that are just obnoxious and rigid and it's more waiving a banner around than having a conversation. It's the nature of the beast in the forum, sure, but some guys are truly just trying to score points.

You should listen to Joe Rogan's podcast with Jamie Kilstein. He was a SJW pseudo journalist who admittedly got caught up in proving his Liberl worth by attacking and trying to destroy people who said or did anything anti-PC. When the tables turned and Jezebel turned on him, he realized what he did to others, and is now remorseful and shed some fascinating light on what drives the LW nutters SJWs, and how he became obsessed with getting approval of other SJWs.

Yeah, I think some guys here haven't seen it action. Just as bad as alt-right in terms of tactics and especially in terms of fucking up any chance of a rational discussion on just about any topic.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Looks like he's had a lot of practice.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"When did Uncle Dale's life take such a turn for the worse, pop?"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 pm
The whole video is worth watching. Funny comments in the comment section, as the host of the TV show switched from speaking Norwegian to German in the S&M costume.

-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Not really a gif, but it should be.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Gotta love Denver.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

and if you need something to watch this weekend..

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Redditors painting Redditors.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 pm Image
I need to know - what the hell is that?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Clearly he picked up the strike.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:55 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 pm Image
I need to know - what the hell is that?
He's the son of my avatar.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So that's actual competitive bowling?

Wow! I'd watch that guy.

Reminded me a bit of Big Ernie McCraken.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd never seen a two-handed pro bowler. Didn't know such a thing existed. And, I didn't know that there is a Team USA that bowls against Team Europe. And, I hadn't seen a white guy with a big afro like that since the 1970s. So much going on in one gif!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:26 pm I'd never seen a two-handed pro bowler. Didn't know such a thing existed. And, I didn't know that there is a Team USA that bowls against Team Europe. And, I hadn't seen a white guy with a big afro like that since the 1970s. So much going on in one gif!
Look up Jason Belmonte and be amazed
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."