Jeeves is a Furry (Disney World Advise Thread)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Jeeves is a Furry (Disney World Advise Thread)

Post by rass »

We had done the safari before, which is why I didn't realize it was a priority. Nobody tells me anything.

This trip was the first time I ever rode Big Thunder. That is a pretty great coaster. Without looking it up, I feel like it was the longest ride out of all of the coasters. Both kids did that one with me, but the youngest wouldn't or couldn't (height) do the rest. The oldest started crying just before Rockin' (how dated is that Aerosmith opening, and WTF ever happened to Illeana Douglas?) and Everest took off, but did both and really enjoyed them. She stepped out of line on Space Mountain when she realized she couldn't ride right next to me. I hadn't done Space Mountain in 15 years, and it was a lot more jarring than I remember.

We were also able to Splash Mountain multiple times in a row. I love that ride. Best combination of pure Disney-ness and thrill. This was the first time we ever rode it at night.

And the pork belly with black beans at the Brazil kiosk at the Food & Wine festival was fanfuckingtastic.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:We had done the safari before, which is why I didn't realize it was a priority. Nobody tells me anything.

This trip was the first time I ever rode Big Thunder. That is a pretty great coaster. Without looking it up, I feel like it was the longest ride out of all of the coasters. Both kids did that one with me, but the youngest wouldn't or couldn't (height) do the rest. The oldest started crying just before Rockin' (how dated is that Aerosmith opening, and WTF ever happened to Illeana Douglas?) and Everest took off, but did both and really enjoyed them. She stepped out of line on Space Mountain when she realized she couldn't ride right next to me. I hadn't done Space Mountain in 15 years, and it was a lot more jarring than I remember.

We were also able to Splash Mountain multiple times in a row. I love that ride. Best combination of pure Disney-ness and thrill. This was the first time we ever rode it at night.

And the pork belly with black beans at the Brazil kiosk at the Food & Wine festival was fanfuckingtastic.

So jealous you were there for the F&W festival. There were banners for it all over the countries section of EPCOT when I was there. The one ride we missed is the Aerosmith coaster. The lines were insane. Splash Mountain was the kids' favorite ride. We did a half day at Magic Kingdom our first day, and then did a full day later one. We did Splash Mountain 5 times or so. Totally agree, I love the music throughout the ride, and it is probably the only ride I like all the Disney animatronics. Plus it was fun making the kids laugh with poses for the camera shot. The double fisted metal/aloha hands with tongue out and hand on chin with bored/sad face were both hits. The later was with my parents in the third row of the log, 5 screaming faces and me. My wife rolled her eyes, but the girl at the picture counter got a good laugh, and I am sure she has seen it all.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Where my enjoyment of snark meets my genuine enjoyment of WDW. I'll probably make my way through most if not all of those reviews.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm going to this meeting at 1:00 and then I'm reading the everloving shit out of that
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan wrote:I'm going to this meeting at 1:00 and then I'm reading the everloving shit out of that
Caity: The description of the San Angel Inn Restaurante provided on its official Disney page made me more fired up to eat at a restaurant than I have ever been in my entire life: “Dine in perpetual twilight at this Mexican restaurant, modeled after a 17th-century hacienda at the base of Mayan ruins.” FINE, I WILL.

The fake 17th-century hacienda is indeed situated at the base of 20th-century Mayan ruins. It is bordered to the north by a sprawling gift shop oasis, where sombreros in sizes previously only seen in the imagination are sold at all corners. Another jaw-dropping feature inexplicably omitted in the restaurant’s official description: a small volcano that erupts with what I can only describe as “glow-in-the-dark, neon light” every few minutes. I loved everything about this meal and restaurant.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote:
Ryan wrote:I'm going to this meeting at 1:00 and then I'm reading the everloving shit out of that
Caity: The description of the San Angel Inn Restaurante provided on its official Disney page made me more fired up to eat at a restaurant than I have ever been in my entire life: “Dine in perpetual twilight at this Mexican restaurant, modeled after a 17th-century hacienda at the base of Mayan ruins.” FINE, I WILL.

The fake 17th-century hacienda is indeed situated at the base of 20th-century Mayan ruins. It is bordered to the north by a sprawling gift shop oasis, where sombreros in sizes previously only seen in the imagination are sold at all corners. Another jaw-dropping feature inexplicably omitted in the restaurant’s official description: a small volcano that erupts with what I can only describe as “glow-in-the-dark, neon light” every few minutes. I loved everything about this meal and restaurant.
Oh, yeah. It's good stuff.
Caity: Rhoi brought us some chips (corn) and salsa (chipotle, verde) to start. To this pre-entree spread, we added an order of guacamole, which was served alongside odd puffed...fingers. This guacamole is not listed on the website menu. Was Rhoi authorized to give it to us? In perpetual twilight, laws and rules can be bent and broken.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Caity: Overall, I have had few lunches more pleasant than that one, at the base of Mayan ruins, in the shadow of an erupting volcano, cloaked in perpetual twilight. It gave me hope that not only might some of the meals we ate at Epcot have specific and identifiable flavors—those flavors might be pleasant to taste.

Is Everything OK?

Questions About the Dining Experience

Would you go back?

Caity: Not only would I go back, I would live there. I would set up a little shop in the marketplace at the base of the Mayan pyramid and marry a local waitress. In the mornings, I would wake up to perpetual twilight, and in the evenings I would sing sweet songs to the stars. One day, the volcano would claim my life.

Rich: I wouldn’t NOT go back, but I also wouldn’t travel 1,000 miles to get those chilaquiles when superior ones await me just blocks away from my apartment.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Caity: I don’t know what elderflower tastes like because I’m not a witch.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

At this point, we had paid a total of $27.24 for $22.09 worth of food. Then something truly baffling happened. Joy began to bargain with me. She acknowledged, first, that she had overcharged me. “I’ll give you another egg roll,” she suggested.

Joy...Why would you do that? I did not order another egg roll.

Rich: She said it like, “Maybe I’ll give you another egg roll?” Maybe if you put that in your mouth, it will make you unable to speak, and thus you will have shut up...?

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Caity: It was allegedly “Chinese BBQ Pork” but it looked like twin fetuses at 8 weeks.

Rich: It looked like organs. It looked like you had dissected a bun that had been in formaldehyde.

Caity: It would have been better off staying in the bun, and the bun would have been better off sailing into a trashcan. The Curry Chicken Pockets tasted like four-times microwaved Indian food (Epcot has no India), though the sesame seeds on top sang of China. The Pork and Vegetable Egg Roll was the best savory item by far, which is to say: quite bad. It tasted, mercifully, like the packet of Panda Soy Sauce I dipped it in.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm almost done, dammit.
Caity: I love the idea of putting a miniature America in an amusement park dedicated to highlighting some of the world’s most fabulous countries. It’s like me giving a PowerPoint about the most important women of the last hundred years, and on the last slide is a picture of me, for putting together this great PowerPoint.

A large section of the America store was devoted to dog shampoo!

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The drinking tour is gold.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, an effort to not totally threadjack J'lo's travel advice thread, I submit my ramblings (cleverly disguised as coherent thought via numbering convention) on Disney.

=-=-=-=-=-==-=

I've seen some shit go down, man. Anytime a shitload of people congregate, you're going to see a decent percent that make you shake your head. Disney has a bunch of elements that just makes people lose their damn minds.

1) It's hot as fuck. Most Floridians have the good sense to get inside from about 11-5 (or thereabouts) in the summer. But because people have paid their hard-earned money, by golly, they're going to push through the process of walking on the surface of the sun to get to the Tea Cup ride so little Johnny can proceed to vomit his lunch all over the place.

2) To that point, people go in there with babies, toddlers and the like. And that's not because they have an older sibling pushing the vacation agenda. No, you see scores of people with just the baby in tow. It's just that mommy and daddy have somehow got it in their head that going to Disney is all part of a sound early childhood education or something. Meanwhile, see point #1. Mix that in with the fact that this baby will only, possibly, MAYBE remember this trip as being the time mommy/daddy shoved the baby into a huge sauna for a week and... What is wrong with those people?

3) As you move up the age scale, you still see HUNDREDS of kids 4-10 that have been dragged around the park for 8-10 hours absolutely losing their shit by lunch/dinner time. The parents are typically miserable, but because they know how much this trip is costing them, they have the motivation to continue the Bataan Death March through to the fireworks show.

4) Foreigners. a) They dress in the same color t-shirt, are led around by some person with a bicycle flag, and generally tend to overwhelm whatever space they are occupying like a colony of ants. They are generally in a really great mood, mostly because they are pretty oblivious to how loud they are and how inconsiderate they are being in terms of acknowledging anyone/anything around them. (For some reason, a really big percentage of the most egregious are Brazilian... It's hard to really get mad at them, because, really, they are in a GREAT MOOD all the damn time.)

b) Brits. Hoo boy. They aren't even really all that annoying, other than causing a fairly constant state of fear that they are going to immolate on the spot. The sun... it is strong. Their faces... They are red.

5) The rules and signs are, apparently, bullshit and mere suggestions. This is probably the most germane to the discussion about the alligators. People just flat out don't read the signs, and even if they do, you see people shrug their shoulders and walk through the exit or throw shit where it doesn't belong or bring their stroller into a section where it's prohibited, etc, etc.

Just in general, what I find about Disney patrons is that everyone is trying a bit too hard to have fun. People exhaust themselves, mentally and physically, around the task of ENJOYING THE FUCK OUT OF THIS TRIP. It's a bit like Chevy Chase when he finally gets to Wally World.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Spot on. A smart move, that avoids a little heat, is to go first thing in the morning, then go back to your hotel for a nap and maybe a dip in the pool, then go back for the late afternoon.

It really is a miserable experience in so many ways.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote:So, an effort to not totally threadjack J'lo's travel advice thread, I submit my ramblings (cleverly disguised as coherent thought via numbering convention) on Disney.
Laughed my ass off reading that. (The whole breakdown I mean)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote:Spot on. A smart move, that avoids a little heat, is to go first thing in the morning, then go back to your hotel for a nap and maybe a dip in the pool, then go back for the late afternoon.

It really is a miserable experience in so many ways.

Exactly, especially with little ones. And, don't get me wrong, I've truly enjoyed my times down there.

My wife is a planner. Not in an obnoxious, down to the minute level of planning. But in a "let's have a general sense of what we're doing" type of way. So, yeah, you stay "on property" because it's worth a little bit more money to get into the park an hour early. And, since you're in the park an hour early, go hit up the EZ Pass for the busiest ride in that particular park, simultaneously have the kids and mom go to one of the busier rides in that park and get a run before the crowds show up, join them and hit up a couple more. By that time, it's EZ Pass ahoy.

Now you've hit 3 or 4 of the busiest rides in that particular park pretty much before most folks have arrived. And other than Dad having to do a light jog to that first ride and back, it has been a stress free experience for everyone. Now you're free to kind of stroll around, find EZ Pass rides and kill off the time in between with horrible food and people watching.

What I really don't understand are the people that don't take advantage of EZ Pass in these parks. I'm not sitting in line for over an hour for anything. I know a couple of the rides where it doesn't really help much (Soaring is one, I think.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

They should put it here instead

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Reupped for a third tour. Thoughts and prayers.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice!

We're going to put Disney's hospitality to a test this week. My wife won four park hopper passes in a tricky tray/lottery/fundraiser two years ago. Last year, after we decided to spend a week in Gatlinburg, TN instead of heading to Orlando, she gave two of them to cousins visiting from Ireland. A different Irish cousin (and his girlfriend) are travelling about the US this spring, and we offered them the remaining passes for the day or two they were going to spend in DW. When she got them out of wherever she had them stashed and checked the status, we found out they expired last week. Their front-line customer service rep gave us an email address to appeal to in order to get the passes extended (just for a month or so, they'll be down there at some point in April). We'll see...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Oooh, we're at Animal Kingdom for the eclipse. 84% obscuration!

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pretty hot here at Walt Disney World you guys

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ryan wrote:Pretty hot here at Walt Disney World you guys

In the middle of August?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Feel like I post this every year when you're down here at the happiest place on earth, but you couldn't pay me to go to Disney in any season but "winter".
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 pm Holy shit

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-d ... story.html
You weren’t kidding. Holy shit.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’m going in June, kill me now. If you go down there, check out The Void at Disney Springs. Amazing VR on the Star Wars adventure. We are going to try the Wreck it Ralph Adventure this time.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 am I’m going in June, kill me now. If you go down there, check out The Void at Disney Springs. Amazing VR on the Star Wars adventure. We are going to try the Wreck it Ralph Adventure this time.
They are opening one of these at the Tyson's Corner Mall near my house.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

bfj wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 am I’m going in June, kill me now. If you go down there, check out The Void at Disney Springs. Amazing VR on the Star Wars adventure. We are going to try the Wreck it Ralph Adventure this time.
FYI the Star Wars Land doesn't open in Florida until August.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I mean, I can deal with those rooms (pretty sure All Star Movies is comparable) but I guess I understand a millionaire complaining. Especially when WDW has nicer options and the NBA is fucking rich.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

There are 3 disney value hotels that are themed in that class. If the players union negotiated for charter travel, ritz or equivalent lodigng, etc...and then you say..hey got this motel (doors on the outside) place that has a room rate of ~$130 a night (3 star)....I understand why they may be less than excited.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Coronado Springs is the convention hotel and it's apparently the only one people can't seem to book right now.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Guy appears to be a deputy DA for Clark Co., NV
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That guy is a fairly well-known loser/crank/GOP troll in Vegas.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Usually I'd look the other way but...

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

image.png
image.png (84.63 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I wore a tie once, we get it