sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Why Do Local Cops Need Camoflauge?

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
bfj wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Between this and the upcoming elections - this is going to be a brutal summer. Stay out of Cleveland folks.
What about Philadelphia? I'm, uh, asking for a friend.
What about Houston?
What about Detroit?
What about Pittsburgh, PA?
You ought to know not to stand by the window
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
bfj wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Between this and the upcoming elections - this is going to be a brutal summer. Stay out of Cleveland folks.
What about Philadelphia? I'm, uh, asking for a friend.
What about Houston?
What about Detroit?
What about Pittsburgh, PA?
You ought to know not to stand by the window
Somebody's seen you up there!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

This ain't no foolin' around
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

TWILTS
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Man who Posted Alton Sterling Shooting Video Arrested 24 Hours Later on Fabricated Charges

I bet he loses his job. The finishing touches on our nascent police state.

Here's another one. (I'm not even looking for these, just my normal morning scan of the news.)

Collingswood police questioned schoolkids about brownies, name-calling, a zombie drawing

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We discussed this a year or two ago in the wake of either Michael Brown or Tamir Rice or one of the other tragedies of the last two years, but I didn't realize the exact statistic, but despite being by any objective measure one of the toughest places in the U.S. to be a cop, in 2015 Detroit cops were involved in ZERO fatal shootings. And that's despite being one of the largest police departments in the country still (in the top 20-ish or so at least).

But in Detroit, the demographics of the police force mirror the community. I don't know if that's the difference, but it's gotta help.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not sure that means as much as it might seem. DeKalb County GA cops are some of the worst around and in general the officers largely reflect the demographics of the county.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Until reading this week about policing I really didn't know how little I know about policing. One of the interesting things I read is that one of the strategies forward-thinking police departments like Dallas are employing is to spend less time policing traffic violations. Given how a lot of these tragedies start (some hero warrior white cop pulling over some random black guy because of a busted taillight), it makes sense. And apparently in the case of Dallas they went from something like 450,000 to 210,000 traffic violations without an increase in traffic fatalities.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Wish they had a directive to ignore jaywalking in April 2003. The DPD jail was not fun!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:Until reading this week about policing I really didn't know how little I know about policing. One of the interesting things I read is that one of the strategies forward-thinking police departments like Dallas are employing is to spend less time policing traffic violations. Given how a lot of these tragedies start (some hero warrior white cop pulling over some random black guy because of a busted taillight), it makes sense. And apparently in the case of Dallas they went from something like 450,000 to 210,000 traffic violations without an increase in traffic fatalities.
Sort of the opposite of the Giuliani cleaning up Times Square narrative. Although, Disneyfied Times Square is a soulless place.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote:
brian wrote:Until reading this week about policing I really didn't know how little I know about policing. One of the interesting things I read is that one of the strategies forward-thinking police departments like Dallas are employing is to spend less time policing traffic violations. Given how a lot of these tragedies start (some hero warrior white cop pulling over some random black guy because of a busted taillight), it makes sense. And apparently in the case of Dallas they went from something like 450,000 to 210,000 traffic violations without an increase in traffic fatalities.
Sort of the opposite of the Giuliani cleaning up Times Square narrative. Although, Disneyfied Times Square is a soulless place.
I feel dirty defending an ass like Giuliani, but I'm old enough to remember NYC in the 80s. I'll take soulless over dirty, smelly, and dangerous.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm not sure where the money goes from a traffic ticket in Dallas, but I suspect they installed highway cameras for toll areas and decided that that was a better way to take public money. (Texas residents, correct me if I'm wrong.)

I got an $8.75 charge of a toll in Dallas on my credit card when I rented a car for literally the time it takes to drive from Wichita Falls airport to Dallas Love Airport. When I called the toll company (based in New Jersey for the rental agency, I guess) they refunded me without issue.

There was a helluva lot of construction on Dallas highways, so I'm guessing I entered some zone that banked on my ignorance.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:
I feel dirty defending an ass like Giuliani, but I'm old enough to remember NYC in the 80s. I'll take soulless over dirty, smelly, and dangerous.
I'm with you on this one. Besides, it is possible to say that a person did something good, even if they're an idiot.

We used to go down to New York in the 80s and huge parts of it were a dump.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I worked there in the 80s and thought NYC was fine. But it may just be personal criteria at play. For me, at that time: liberty >>>>> street hassle.

Perhaps I'd be a bit less amused by the junkies burning the derelict building to the rear of the apartment if I was there with my daughters today instead of my bold (/foolish) self in 1985.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DC47 wrote:I worked there in the 80s and thought NYC was fine. But it may just be personal criteria at play. For me, at that time: liberty >>>>> street hassle.

Perhaps I'd be a bit less amused by the junkies burning the derelict building to the rear of the apartment if I was there with my daughters today instead of my bold (/foolish) self in 1985.
The Lou Reed reference is very fitting. We loved visiting New York when we were in our early twenties precisely because it was seedy and a cheap drunk.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote:If it's precedent, it's bad. As a one-off, it's pretty cool.
Clickhole so gets me: The Fact That An Explosive Robot Was Used To Kill The Dallas Shooter Raises Disturbing Concerns About The Fucking Rad Militarization Of The Police
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

ffs.

After Dallas Shootings, Police Arrest People for Criticizing Cops on Facebook and Twitter
FOUR MEN IN DETROIT were arrested over the past week for posts on social media that the police chief called threatening. One tweet that led to an arrest said that Micah Johnson, the man who shot police officers in Dallas last week, was a hero. None of the men have been named, nor have they been charged.

“I know this is a new issue, but I want these people charged with crimes,” said Detroit Police Chief James Craig. “I’ve directed my officers to prepare warrants for these four individuals, and we’ll see which venue is the best to pursue charges,” he said.

Five police officers were killed in the Dallas shootings, constituting the highest number of police casualties in an attack since September 11. And as a result, law enforcement officials everywhere are suddenly much more sensitive to threats against their lives.

But one result has been that several police departments across the country have arrested individuals for posts on social media accounts, often from citizen tips — raising concerns among free speech advocates.

“Arresting people for speech is something we should be very careful about,” Bruce Schneier, security technologist at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, told The Intercept.

Last weekend in Connecticut, police arrested Kurt Vanzuuk after a tip for posts on Facebook that identified Johnson as a hero and called for police to be killed. He was charged with inciting injury to persons or property.

An Illinois woman, Jenesis Reynolds, was arrested for writing in a Facebook post that she would shoot an officer who would pull her over. “I have no problem shooting a cop for simple traffic stop cuz they’d have no problem doing it to me,” she wrote, according to the police investigation. She was charged with disorderly conduct.
There is plenty more.

I wish I was even mildly surprised at this fucking bullshit. Not surprised, but plenty pissed off. This is what a police state looks like. And I'm not pissed at the cops for doing this; as usual, I'm pissed that the people will tolerate this, and that plenty of people will cheer this.

Of course free speech is not absolute. But this is way past the line that has been in place for decades. And I expect it to become the norm, probably pretty soon.

Oh, I am saddened by the deaths, on both 'sides', of the last week. But, fuck the fucking police.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Let's imagine what would have happened if people started getting arrested for anti-Obama posts. Boy oh boy ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Don't say that too loud, might give Hillary ideas.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Another tragic cop shooting:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Let's imagine what would have happened if people started getting arrested for anti-Obama posts. Boy oh boy ...
Worse, they don't get arrested, they get sent to FEMA camps without Due Process. This is seriously fucked up. There is no way the police felt threatened by these asshole's FB posts. This shit has to stop.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:
mister d wrote:Let's imagine what would have happened if people started getting arrested for anti-Obama posts. Boy oh boy ...
Worse, they don't get arrested, they get sent to FEMA camps without Due Process. This is seriously fucked up. There is no way the police felt threatened by these asshole's FB posts. This shit has to stop.
PoliceFrog.net needs a "Ridiculous Things You Read on Facebook" thread.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:I'll admit to thinking them just blowing the fucker up is pretty cool.
Watch out for that slippery slope, dude.

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, but the toddler posted some bad shit on Facebook. Was asking for it.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

It is not like the degree of freedom of speech we have enjoyed in recent years has always been thus.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

My mother-in-law emailed my wife this morning, warning her not to go near the local community college, because there will be a Black Lives Matter protest there and "it is going to turn deadly."

My wife emailed her back to thank her for letting me know about the rally so I can stop by and show my support.

I think Keith Law hit it on the head in his Klawchat yesterday:
All lives matter, but not all lives are in equal danger. No one says White Lives Matter because, duh, when has the opposite ever been true in our nation's history.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He nailed it on that sentence, but I think he got it wrong with the "only racists say otherwise". He's a really smart dude who I think occasionally conflates true stupidity with malice, probably in part because of all the shit he has to put up with in his line of work. I think there's a flowery version of "All Lives Matter", its just said by people too fucking stupid to understand why its the wrong phrase at the wrong time.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And I remain partial to the "Try saying "No, 'Support Everyone'" to someone who says 'Support Our Troops'" analogy, whoever made it up.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Was just going to say....go arrest Joe Walsh and see what happens.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Most of these All Lives Matter people are the same people who also think that the real racism is how white Christians they can't say the same things on sports talk radio as black dudes and you can shoot the government agents, but only if you think they might raise your taxes.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:He nailed it on that sentence, but I think he got it wrong with the "only racists say otherwise". He's a really smart dude who I think occasionally conflates true stupidity with malice, probably in part because of all the shit he has to put up with in his line of work. I think there's a flowery version of "All Lives Matter", its just said by people too fucking stupid to understand why its the wrong phrase at the wrong time.
Beyond the lives being in danger point there's the separate issue about there being a huge disparity in society's willingness to impose consequences for taking a life. "Blue Lives Matter" is an asinine slogan because there is no surer way to face the full wrath of the justice system than killing a police officer. Does anyone doubt that if the Dallas shooter were captured alive he'd have been ultimately given the death penalty? In contrast, police officers almost never face any criminal consequences for shooting unarmed (or lawfully armed) black citizens.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:He nailed it on that sentence, but I think he got it wrong with the "only racists say otherwise". He's a really smart dude who I think occasionally conflates true stupidity with malice, probably in part because of all the shit he has to put up with in his line of work.
I agree.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. Its a horrible, dangerous as fuck job in a lot of places, which is why its respected when done well. You aren't allowed to kill black people out of fear and/or racism AND get credit for assuming a horrible, dangerous as fuck job, at that point you're just a criminal with legal indemnity. The latter is predicated on doing it right.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:And I remain partial to the "Try saying "No, 'Support Everyone'" to someone who says 'Support Our Troops'" analogy, whoever made it up.
I like that. I supposed "No, God Bless All Countries" would also work. Maybe write up a sign and hold it up during a Forced Patriotism Exercise in the seventh inning?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
All lives matter, but not all lives are in equal danger. No one says White Lives Matter because, duh, when has the opposite ever been true in our nation's history.
April 5, 1968? Other than that day, I got nuthin.

If not actual danger, it must've felt that way.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

12-03-79.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I had to look that one up. Clever.
[+] spoiler
11 killed in crowd stampede at Who concert in Cincinnatti.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-19800124
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/who-cinc ... -die-1979/

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Two cops shot dead, five others wounded in Baton Rouge this morning. Back to golf.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Quick note. In Baton Rouge, in Dallas, in San Bernadino, á Nice, inside the Batalacan club. Each of these mass murders, for at least several hours if not a day or two, police and authorities were searching for a second gunman. (In San Berdoo, a third gunman, since there actually were two.) Usually, they even make arrests, all spurious.

Some folks suggest there is never a second gunman. I wouldn't say never, but almost always they say there is a second gunman, and there is not. File that fact away.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…