Swamp Shopping Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Swamp Shopping Guide

Post by Johnnie »

I'm in the market for an international cell phone because I'm off to Japan for 3 years and I'm tired of using my U.S. spec Nexus 5 over here in Germany. Back in July I put my email address into the pool for invites for a OnePlus 2 phone. I was like number 22,000 or so according to the website. I completely forgot about this. Well, yesterday (while I was partying during Oktoberfest in Stuttgart) I received that invite. I only had 24 hours to redeem. That invite expired 8 hours ago. I received no incoming email notification. Thanks, Gmail. (I just reapplied with another email address and now I'm number 4+ million in line. Very annoying.)

Anyhoo, since getting that is a long shot, I really want a Nexus 6 (or the upgrade 6P that was just released), but it seems that landing the international version is tougher for some reason. Nexus 6 devices dropped in price to $349 for the 32 GB version an $399 for the 64 GB version. The international versions are ~$100 and ~$150 more than that via Amazon. Unless, I'm not seeing it, I am not sure why I cannot manually select the international version on Shop Google.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get this done easily and cheaply? I'd call Google, but I'm over here.

GSM arena side-by-side-by-side comparison.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Battery life on the original Nexus 6 is apparently not very good.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Dude, you gotta hold out for the upcoming Surface Phone! It's gonna be off tha hizzy.
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Completely awesome Saints item from the estate sale of Victor Schwenk, former Saints and Edmonton Eskimos GM

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Find Out How Much You've Spent on Amazon Since Opening Your Account

running the report now...

ETA: they're going to email me a notification when it's done
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Anyone got advice on two things I'm in need of? 1) Belts that don't fall apart 2) "casual" shoes that aren't athletic. Thinking of getting a pair of Sperrys but I don't own a boat, nor am I a douchey college kid.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

On the shoes...Chuck Taylor's or Adidas Shelltoes or Nike AF1s.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:Anyone got advice on two things I'm in need of? 1) Belts that don't fall apart 2) "casual" shoes that aren't athletic. Thinking of getting a pair of Sperrys but I don't own a boat, nor am I a douchey college kid.
I am quickly becoming a big fan of Merrell shoes. I bought a pair of Merrell hiking boots about a year ago and they're the most comfortable boot or shoe I've ever worn.

A couple of weeks ago I bought these Merrells, and I've been very happy with the purchase.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd go Purcells over Chucks. If you're feeling fancy, you can customize on their website for not all that much more.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote:Anyone got advice on two things I'm in need of? 1) Belts that don't fall apart 2) "casual" shoes that aren't athletic. Thinking of getting a pair of Sperrys but I don't own a boat, nor am I a douchey college kid.
For 2--Driving Shoes. Sort of a loafer with a bit more rubber on the sole and heel. Casual but not sneakers. Lots of styles to choose from. Hardest part is finding a pair that you like, don't look like slippers and are not a color that you can't wear with everything.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For shoes,I'm a fan of Clarks. Their shoes are comfortable, durable and generally fall into that casual shoe that you can wear with just about anything short of a suit
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That one I linked to is just an example. I have a couple pair, one set of lace-ups and one that's a slip-on, which is especially useful when traveling.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:For shoes,I'm a fan of Clarks. Their shoes are comfortable, durable and generally fall into that casual shoe that you can wear with just about anything short of a suit
Those look pretty sharp. Actually, they're very similar to the Merrells I have on right now.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Bought 2 new pairs of Nikes. One a cross trainer for the gym and one a dedicated running shoe.

Also got some grey low top Adidias with the classic white 3 stripe that will work for casuals. Merrils are great but I'm a bigger fan of their boots, which is something I don't need right now. Still might pick up another pair or two of casual stuff. I like Clarks as well and have had good luck with them in the past, but DSW didn't have any styles I liked very much this time around.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Anyone try any of those foam mattress in a box companies?

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote:Anyone try any of those foam mattress in a box companies?
Had a buddy who did. Not really impressed. If you're looking for one for a spare bedroom maybe, but if you're getting a bed you're actually going to sleep on for the next 10-15 years don't cheap out and just go to a "real" mattress store and plunk down a few Gs.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I bought mattresses for our condo on Amazon Prime and they've been great. I got memory foam for both of my kids and a memory foam-topped one for me and my wife. They came rolled up in very heavy boxes. Pretty awesome and WAY cheaper than from a mattress store.

They actually all had free returns, but I have no idea how you'd return them.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A lot of stamps
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote:I bought mattresses for our condo on Amazon Prime and they've been great. I got memory foam for both of my kids and a memory foam-topped one for me and my wife. They came rolled up in very heavy boxes. Pretty awesome and WAY cheaper than from a mattress store.

I got a memory foam mattress from Amazon a year or two ago and love it. Dirt cheap too.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Shirley wrote:I bought mattresses for our condo on Amazon Prime and they've been great. I got memory foam for both of my kids and a memory foam-topped one for me and my wife. They came rolled up in very heavy boxes. Pretty awesome and WAY cheaper than from a mattress store.

I got a memory foam mattress from Amazon a year or two ago and love it. Dirt cheap too.
We did as well. Pretty happy with ours. I also added a 2" foam topper as well. It adds a little softness, as the regular foam mattress is thick as fuck.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm a pretty thrifty guy but a good mattress is something I absolutely refuse to cheap out on. What else do you use 8 hours a day every day of the year?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

deez nutz?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote:I'm a pretty thrifty guy but a good mattress is something I absolutely refuse to cheap out on. What else do you use 8 hours a day every day of the year?
This freemium message board

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:I'm a pretty thrifty guy but a good mattress is something I absolutely refuse to cheap out on. What else do you use 8 hours a day every day of the year?
Yeah, but there ain't no reviews in a mattress or department store. Mattresses have HUGE markups and the way they use different models at different stores makes comparison shopping extremely difficult. For stuff like that, I like using Amazon, because I can read through a lot of feedback of actual users.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Shirley wrote:They actually all had free returns, but I have no idea how you'd return them.
With Amazon? It's like 2 clicks on your computer and then UPS comes and picks it up. (Yeah, it's spoiled me – I return anything that doesn't show up in impeccable condition.)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Like, a mattress though?

The site I was looking at (Casper) said they'll pick it up anytime in the first 100 days if you don't like it. Not sure if they literally send someone to get it furniture style or if it's actually easy to fold one of those back up into a box.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The idea of buying a mattress online without lying on it first is kind of staggering to me. Like buying a car without at least sitting in it.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

To me, they're all destined to be equally shitty after a certain amount of time and I'm willing to spend 75% less for 50% less shelf life. Those showrooms are the worst and not helpful and I dont like talking to people in lab coats and/or ties about my bed

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

P.D.X. wrote:
Shirley wrote:They actually all had free returns, but I have no idea how you'd return them.
With Amazon? It's like 2 clicks on your computer and then UPS comes and picks it up. (Yeah, it's spoiled me – I return anything that doesn't show up in impeccable condition.)
Yeah, but it comes in a regular size box. Once you open the vacuum-sealed bag, the mattress unrolls and greatly expands. It ain't going back in that box!
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:The idea of buying a mattress online without lying on it first is kind of staggering to me. Like buying a car without at least sitting in it.
Yeah, I don't think you really get a true sense for a mattress's comfort by lying on it for a few seconds in a store.

I'd rather read reviews from a lot of people about whether it's firm or soft and how well it holds up after some period of time.

Like Ryan said, the delta in price is so huge that's a gamble well worth taking.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I would argue you can get a much better feel for how hard or soft it is based on actually lying on it versus internet reviews, but caveat emptor.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Guy was selling unlocked Amazon fire sticks by the strip mall today. $85. Used to have a cable box that accessed all channels. I'd kill for that again. Anyone know what it does?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I bought a mattress online, and while I don't think I got a special deal or anything, it was the best purchase I ever made. The key is to go to a lot of stores and to reverse engineer what they are all selling. Everyone is selling the same stuff, they just change the names.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

HaulCitgo wrote:Guy was selling unlocked Amazon fire sticks by the strip mall today. $85. Used to have a cable box that accessed all channels. I'd kill for that again. Anyone know what it does?
This was done all over the Ramstein Yard Sales webpage in Germany too. People buy Fire Sticks and sideload Kodi with specific apps meant for streaming TV shows/movies/sports. Takes 20 minutes. The sellers then double or triple their initial investment by jacking up the price. Google around. You can do it all yourself.

Personally, I have a raspberry pi with Kodi and the app "Specto Fork." Genesis developers stopped making Genesis, so this app is a mirror like it.

This probably reads like Greek, but basically it's Netflix on crack for free. I've been watching House of Cards and Better Call Saul. And I even watched Mad Max Fury Road in HD the other day.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

On mattress, this company advertises on a few podcasts I listen to:

https://casper.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And it gives you the best of both worlds. Buy it online. Try it for 100 days free.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote:On mattress, this company advertises on a few podcasts I listen to:

And it gives you the best of both worlds. Buy it online. Try it for 100 days free.
There are a few of these
Leesa
Tuft and Needle
Loom and Leaf
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Johnnie wrote:On mattress, this company advertises on a few podcasts I listen to:

No way!

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I think you should look in to it
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But what if you want to return it? I bet trying to re-package it would be a real hassle.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

They literally might send someone to pick it up.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.