Hey, I Learn Something New Everyday, Two

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Hey, I Learn Something New Everyday, Two

Post by L-Jam3 »

I collected comics pretty intensely in high school, but I didn't know this until literally a week ago:

You remember the Weapon X program that Wolverine, Sabretooth, Deadpool, and Lady Deathstrike, among others, were a part of? It's not pronounced "Weapon Ecks". It's pronounced "Weapon Ten".
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Hey, I Learn Something New Everyday, Two

Post by Gunpowder »

Didn't know that either.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

D'Brickashaw Ferguson's name is derived from the character Ralph de Bricassart in the novel/miniseries The Thorn Birds.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I was gonna name my first kid after Falconetti from Rich Man, Poor Man.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I was reading up on the 15 year-old girl who just won her first round match at the U.S. Open, and I stumbled upon the great names of two other American teenage tennis phenoms, who supposedly are also destined for big-time tennis success.

Gotta love these names. I hope they become big stars. According to Wiki, "Tornado Alicia Black and her younger sister Hurricane Tyra Black have often been referred to as "the next Williams sisters".
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

They should've gone Hurricane Alicia cause there actually was one that hit Galveston/Houston in the early 80s. Yes, I was fine.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:They should've gone Hurricane Alicia cause there actually was one that hit Galveston/Houston in the early 80s. Yes, I was fine.

Apparently not, you're still fucking talking about it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If that hurricane hit Detroit, you wouldn't hear a thing about it from Steve Yzerman.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

National Dog Day is not a day to celebrate dogs. It's for dog owners to celebrate their ownership of dogs and for you to be told about it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
nastyned
Jackie Treehorn

Post by nastyned »

L-Jam3 wrote:I collected comics pretty intensely in high school, but I didn't know this until literally a week ago:

You remember the Weapon X program that Wolverine, Sabretooth, Deadpool, and Lady Deathstrike, among others, were a part of? It's not pronounced "Weapon Ecks". It's pronounced "Weapon Ten".
Apparantly Wolverine was the tenth weapon, and X is the roman numeral for ten. Ergo, Weapon X (10)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:National Dog Day is not a day to celebrate dogs. It's for dog owners to celebrate their ownership of dogs and for you to be told about it.
Did you really think people think dogs know it's their day?
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Giff wrote:
Johnnie wrote:National Dog Day is not a day to celebrate dogs. It's for dog owners to celebrate their ownership of dogs and for you to be told about it.
There are people who think their dogs want to be on a gluten-free diet. Thinking their dog is aware of a made-up holiday is no stretch.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

At least each dog has a day

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rams Fanny wrote:
Giff wrote:
There are people who think their dogs want to be on a gluten-free diet. Thinking their dog is aware of a made-up holiday is no stretch.
A couple of years ago, I was in the waiting area of the vets and a woman came in with her daughter (complete North Toronto rich folks - girl in private school uni and everything).

The Mother wanted the vet to explain to her daughter why their dog should not be switched to a vegan diet.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

That's absurd. Of course it should eat vegan. This would be more than worth it in one-upping their peers.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote:
No, but people treat their dogs like they're their children. And people are fucking stupid.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I learned yesterday that the band Iron and Wine is basically just one dude. I also learned that he lives in Durham and his kids go to the same school my boys just started at.

So maybe I'll add something to the Brushes thread at some point.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Iron & Wine as a him and Bon Iver as a they have to be the two most common mixups.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

So what you are saying is it's the ALS ice bucket challenge of holidays.
oh shit...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:I learned yesterday that the band Iron and Wine is basically just one dude. I also learned that he lives in Durham and his kids go to the same school my boys just started at.

Sam Beam is awesome. Met him after a show in Ann Arbor a few years back. He's a nice guy.

ETA: Hopefully not for another 40 years or so but I'm going to insist "Dead Man's Will" is played at my funeral.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

My dog eats a gluten free diet. OMGGGGGGGGGGG

(Because the Sweet Potato and Turkey food at Costco is cheap and keeps him fuller longer. And he seems to really like it.)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote:My dog eats a gluten free diet. OMGGGGGGGGGGG

(Because the Sweet Potato and Turkey food at Costco is cheap and keeps him fuller longer. And he seems to really like it.)
As long as my dog drops solid logs, I'm happy.

Her current favourite wet food is Beneful's Tuscan Medley. Looks like what you'd eat in Florence if you were a dumpster diver.

But she's happy, and it was on sale...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:and keeps him fuller longer.
My dog is never full. We feed her the amount directed by the vet. If we based it on the amount to make her full, she'd never stop eating.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:and keeps him fuller longer.
My dog is never full. We feed her the amount directed by the vet. If we based it on the amount to make her full, she'd never stop eating.
Toby is never full, either. But fuller longer = less "if I sit next to this food right here and stare at you you will give it to me" as far as I'm concerned.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I really feel like Louis CK should have a comedy bit about Americans having pets with gluten free diets.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:
Shirley wrote:I learned yesterday that the band Iron and Wine is basically just one dude. I also learned that he lives in Durham and his kids go to the same school my boys just started at.

Sam Beam is awesome. Met him after a show in Ann Arbor a few years back. He's a nice guy.

ETA: Hopefully not for another 40 years or so but I'm going to insist "Dead Man's Will" is played at my funeral.
I actually think I saw him - or at least a bearded dude who looks a lot like him - pulling into school today.

It would seem like his music - very muted and mellow - wouldn't translate well to a live show. How was it?
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:

I actually think I saw him - or at least a bearded dude who looks a lot like him - pulling into school today.

It would seem like his music - very muted and mellow - wouldn't translate well to a live show. How was it?
It's incredible, but mostly because they re-interpret most of the songs live somewhat differently than they are on the albums. These days Iron & Wine is about 11 or 12 people (live), so it's very elaborate.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:Iron & Wine as a him and Bon Iver as a they have to be the two most common mixups.
And I met Justin Vernon at the Wilco ACL aftershow last year. I said, I love your song "Boy With a Coin". Not really.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Ecstacy is considered a performance-enhancing drug. That is just ignorant.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote:I really feel like Louis CK should have a comedy bit about Americans having pets with gluten free diets.
Except that I'd imagine there's a significant percentage of people like myself who don't do it because they hate gluten or think their dog has an autoimmune issue with wheat.

Are there people that do? Oh sure. But price + dog likes it + convenience + other factors like less gas/begging/etc probably drives the majority of the consumer decision-making on this topic.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Ecstacy is considered a performance-enhancing drug. That is just ignorant.
Depends what the activity is. If you are measuring perception of ones own dancing abilities, ecstacy's performance enhancement is off the charts.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I kinda think dogs should have gluten free diets. I don't own a dog anymore, but I am pretty sure they don't make bread in the wild. Maybe my dogs were just lazy.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So what you are saying is your school's PTA fundraiser is going to play on one parent's skill set.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:I kinda think dogs should have gluten free diets. I don't own a dog anymore, but I am pretty sure they don't make bread in the wild. Maybe my dogs were just lazy.

I think you're spot on. Wheat, and especially corn, are used as fillers in cheaper dog food. They may not necessarily harm the dog, but they don't really help either. I only have a one dog sample size, but we switched to a premium-ish food very early on. In the short-term, his poops went from soft and orange-ish to solid and brown, so I felt like we made a good choice. He's at 10+ years old, still has a beautiful coat and still bounces off the walls like a puppy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:I kinda think dogs should have gluten free diets. I don't own a dog anymore, but I am pretty sure they don't make bread in the wild. Maybe my dogs were just lazy.

I think you're spot on. Wheat, and especially corn, are used as fillers in cheaper dog food. They may not necessarily harm the dog, but they don't really help either. I only have a one dog sample size, but we switched to a premium-ish food very early on. In the short-term, his poops went from soft and orange-ish to solid and brown, so I felt like we made a good choice. He's at 10+ years old, still has a beautiful coat and still bounces off the walls like a puppy.
So you're saying if I feed mine crappy food she will calm the fuck down every once in a while? Ol Roy it is from here on out!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't think you read that correctly.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:

I'll admit that this is in my thinking too, though it's not what drives my decision-making. A dog doesn't make or eat bread. And the amount of filler in a cheap food is insane.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
howard wrote:Ecstacy is considered a performance-enhancing drug. That is just ignorant.
Depends what the activity is. If you are measuring perception of ones own dancing abilities, ecstacy's performance enhancement is off the charts.
I danced like a god at the Hard Working Americans show in July. I wanted to bone Elizabeth Cook so bad and nearly tried sneaking onto the tour bus. Good times.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Reddit led me to this photo, and the story of him passing out hundreds at the Kentucky Derby, which I hadn't seen/heard of previously.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The dude that sang Friends and Lovers with Gloria Loring...

Also played Judas in JCS...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God