Hey, I Learn Something New Everyday, Two

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Hey, I Learn Something New Everyday, Two

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Albert Brooks (Simpsons, Marlin from Finding Nemo, etc) is the professoinal name for Albert Lawrence Einstein. His brother is Bob Einstein who most people know as Super Dave Osborne or Marty Funkhouser.

Albert Brooks did a hell of a lot more than that!

He was going to be the permanent host of Saturday Night Live!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Parson is another term for minister. So that’s why the snowman who they are pretending is Parson Brown ask if they’re married.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

According to the WSJ today...1/2 of all American households have bought a rotisserie chicken in the last year.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote:According to the WSJ today...1/2 of all American households have bought a rotisserie chicken in the last year.

If that's an average, I'm fucking it way up because we get one almost every week.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:According to the WSJ today...1/2 of all American households have bought a rotisserie chicken in the last year.

If that's an average, I'm fucking it way up because we get one almost every week.

AB out here, picking up the slack for a bunch of lazy Americans who can't bother going to the store to buy food that's already been cooked for them.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
A_B wrote:

AB out here, picking up the slack for a bunch of lazy Americans who can't bother going to the store to buy food that's already been cooked for them.

Hey, don't hate. You need cooked chicken for a recipe? It's the bomb.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
A_B wrote:

Hey, don't hate. You need cooked chicken for a recipe? It's the bomb.

Calm down, hoss. My wife gets one probably once a month, so we're on your side of the curve.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm pretty sure they didn't divide rotisserie chickens purchased by total households to come up with their number.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't like getting rotisserie chicken because it's right next to its fried counterpart and guess which one I want to take home.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote:I don't like getting rotisserie chicken because it's right next to its fried counterpart and guess which one I want to take home.

Maybe your heart just isn't in this threesome thing after all.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote:
Giff wrote:I don't like getting rotisserie chicken because it's right next to its fried counterpart and guess which one I want to take home.

Maybe your heart just isn't in this threesome thing after all.

You should see me attack a thigh and wing at the same time.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The rotisserie chickens are usually cheaper than the uncooked whole chickens anyway.

I buy them once every couple of weeks. Roast a few potatoes, make a half-assed salad and voila, a 3 course dinner.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote:The rotisserie chickens are usually cheaper than the uncooked whole chickens anyway.

I buy them once every couple of weeks. Roast a few potatoes, make a half-assed salad and voila, a 3 course dinner.

In Australia, rotisserie chickens came with stuffing...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote:

When we had four dogs in the house we'd buy one pretty much weekly. It was great for giving meds and a quick doggie snack.

Wife and I wouldn't have any...I'd still cook my own.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m not anti-rotisserie chicken, but you get twice as much meat on a regular uncooked chicken. And I love my wife’s roast chicken.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, the Keller method is pretty foolproof and awesome.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Kirk Douglas is alive and is 101.

But, oh man, he looks very dead.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've been doing the 'binge-listen' to Slate's 'SlowBurn' podcast, which is all about Watergate.

In one of the episodes I learned that our new ambassador to the Czech Republic is Stephen King, who was a player in the Watergate scandal.

From here: TRUMP AMBASSADOR BEAT AND ‘KIDNAPPED’ WOMAN IN WATERGATE COVER-UP: REPORTS
In June 1972, King was an ex–FBI agent working as a security aide for the Committee to Re-Elect the President, or CREEP, Nixon’s campaign arm. His duty on the week of the break-in was to protect—and keep a close eye on—Martha Mitchell, the talkative wife of Nixon’s campaign director, former Attorney General John Mitchell, while the Mitchells were on a campaign swing in California.

Martha Mitchell, an outspoken Arkansan dubbed “the Mouth of the South” in press reports, had been complaining vaguely to anyone who would listen about campaign operatives carrying out “dirty tricks” against the Democrats. So when she learned that James McCord, the security director of CREEP, was among those arrested at the Watergate—and described by her husband to the press as a private security contractor who was “not operating either on our behalf or with our consent”—she called a favorite reporter, United Press International’s Helen Thomas.Enter King, who “rushed into her bedroom, threw her back across the bed, and ripped the telephone out of the wall,” wrote veteran Washington reporter Winzola McLendon in her 1979 biography of Martha Mitchell, to whom she was close. “The conversation ended abruptly when it appeared someone took away the phone from her hand,” Thomas reported. “She was heard to say, ‘You just get away.’”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:44 pm Kirk Douglas is alive and is 101.

I say this now, but I promise I'll mean it just as much when I'm 90, but I have no interest in living much past about 90 at least not based on what I've seen about what living past 90 looks like.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm

I say this now, but I promise I'll mean it just as much when I'm 90, but I have no interest in living much past about 90 at least not based on what I've seen about what living past 90 looks like.
Isn't Stan Lee still doing ok?

There's also a federal judge here who turned 90 last year. He seems to be loving life. Or, at least he seems to love ruining mine.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Isn't Stan Lee still doing ok?

There's also a federal judge here who turned 90 last year. He seems to be loving life. Or, at least he seems to love ruining mine.
Yeah, there are exceptions and 45 years from now presumably there will be advances in medicine which might not make it as onerous, but as it stands I'd be pretty much OK with dropping dead in the middle of the night around age 85.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Fuck that. As long as my mind is relatively intact and lucid, I want to spend as much time alive as possible.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't want to be shitting myself and pissing myself and have to rely on people to take care of me, but as long as I can get around and am with it mentally, that's OK. I don't need to be running marathons at 85 or anything, but I don't want to be chairbound or any of that nonsense.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think I land at "so long as i'm not a burden" I'm good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:55 pm Fuck that. As long as my mind is relatively intact and lucid, I want to spend as much time alive as possible.
My worst case scenario is my mind being ok and my body failing. Give me super alzheimers over ALS every damn day, son.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:02 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:55 pm Fuck that. As long as my mind is relatively intact and lucid, I want to spend as much time alive as possible.
My worst case scenario is my mind being ok and my body failing. Give me super alzheimers over ALS every damn day, son.
Opposite. I'd rather daughters remember my mind continuing to work until then end rather than having to watch their dad turn into someone who doesn't even recognize them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh nooooooo way. My grandmother had alzheimers/dementia and while that definitely sucked, there's no way watching her body fail around her active brain would have been better for us, let alone her. All that Steve Gleason shit scares the hell out of me.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I've seen it both. Grandmother had dementia and that was rough. Good friend of the family had ALS. Very hard to see this larger than life man slowly deteriorate. I choose neither option, but if I had to I guess it would be the mind.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd choose whichever one had the quickest route from healthy-to-dead. Long lingering deaths are so hard on everybody. (And, can wipe out one's savings.)
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

With the caveat that someone is caring for the elderly to some extent: mind ok/body fail is worse for the individual; mind fail/body ok is worse for everyone else.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My Great Uncle made it to 101, and he was in great shape until the last few months. Never lost his wit, or his mind. I think the last 15 years or so were his happiest, but that is because his wife died. Man, was she a world class ball buster. My wife's Great Aunt was in great shape until 93. Smoked like a chimney, too. She never lost her mental faculties, other than her filter. That woman did not give a fuck!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 pm

My Great Uncle made it to 101, and he was in great shape until the last few months. Never lost his wit, or his mind. I think the last 15 years or so were his happiest, but that is because his wife died. Man, was she a world class ball buster. My wife's Great Aunt was in great shape until 93. Smoked like a chimney, too. She never lost her mental faculties, other than her filter. That woman did not give a fuck!
Sounds like Sybian will likely be the last Swamper to die. Turn out the lights when you leave, ok?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Sounds like Sybian will likely be the last Swamper to die. Turn out the lights when you leave, ok?
Naw, my Father's Uncle by marriage. My grandfather died of a heart attack at 55. My mother's side has some crazy longevity, but my father's side is riddled with heart disease, cancer, diabetes... and that was just my Grandmother.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Dutch from Karate Kid...

is Steve McQueen's only son, Chad. Chad's son Chase played non-league soccer in the UK and now is back in the US playing the NPSL (for the Oxnard Guerreros FC)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Bronto posted about driving from KC to Oklahoma City to see an NBA game, and it got me thinking about how odd it is that such a small-time burg has a major sports franchise. I knew Green Bay has a team because they were there at the small-time origin of the NFL. But, I when I looked up the relative size of US media markets, I was surprised to learn that five US markets that have teams in the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL, are smaller than Oklahoma City.
[+] spoiler
in decreasing size: Jacksonville, New Orleans, Memphis, Buffalo, and Green Bay
Last edited by sancarlos on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Wouldn't have guessed the largest Designated Market Area without a team is, 30th overall,
[+] spoiler
Hartford/New Haven
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:24 pm Wouldn't have guessed the largest Designated Market Area without a team is, 30th overall,
[+] spoiler
Hartford/New Haven
Thats is shocking, even counting both cities as one market, I wouldn't have guessed it was that larger. I really can't believe New Orleans is only #50, thought it was much bigger than that.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Was never super high on the list but still down quite a bit from before Katrina.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Toronto would be #5 on that list.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."