The Official Swamp Dating Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: The Official Swamp Dating Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brontoburglar wrote: Girlfriend doesn't like my brother's now fiance. GF feels that she made some snide and petty remarks over the course of a couple evenings to make her feel isolated/uncomfortable, etc.
I agree with everyone else that you should run for the hills....but what were the comments about? Did the Fiance say "Wow..those jeans make your butt look huge" or something along those lines?

And has the Fiance tried to talk to her about it? Taken her aside and said something like "look...i'm sorry I stepped over the line. I apologize unreservedly, and hope we can move past this"?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Eh. No matter what the comment was, going off to sulking in a different room in front of a new boyfriend's family is a really terrible sign.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Eh. No matter what the comment was, going off to sulking in a different room in front of a new boyfriend's family is a really terrible sign.
Yeah, seriously. I'm curious what the comment was, because I'm coming from this assuming it was a stupid nothing comment blown out of proportion. Was the GF extremely nervous going to Tgiving at your parents' house? Other than my wife, I never would have considered bringing a girl to meet my parents that early in a relationship, let alone for a major holiday. I haven't lived within 3 hours of my parents since HS, so maybe that makes it more of a big deal to meet the parents. If she was uncomfortable or worried about your family liking her, she could have felt threatened by the fiancee having a 2 year headstart and already being integrated into the family. That doesn't make her actions remotely sane. Even if it was a major offense, grow the fuck up and move past it. Your bro lives in the area, right? Obviously can't avoid them forever.

Does she feel threatened by your relationship with your brother? Asking you to choose between her or your brother after 3 months is completely delusional. So glad you didn't skip the concert. If you stay with her, except this type of behavior to be the norm. Probably much worse though, since Tgiving with a new BFs family you'd expect she'd be on her best behavior. Be thankful her insanity came out early. Cut all ties, move on.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:Eh. No matter what the comment was, going off to sulking in a different room in front of a new boyfriend's family is a really terrible sign.
My clinically insane ex-sister in law tried to set a tent on fire (with my brother in it) while the entire family was at a cottage for what we knew was my mother's last visit to a place she loved.

She later threw a tantrum at the shiva for my mother because my brother was ignoring her.

Relationship ended when the police pulled her out of their condo because she had assaulted him with an empty vodka bottle. It was the 5th such incident that involved the police.

(And she still got a was of cash when the divorce was finalized.)

To me, this is the worst case scenario of what happens when red flags are ignored. You kids out there... take heed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Don't stick your Nick in crazy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DaveInSeattle wrote:And has the Fiance tried to talk to her about it? Taken her aside and said something like "look...i'm sorry I stepped over the line. I apologize unreservedly, and hope we can move past this"?
I don't think girls do this. Sure, maybe one in a hundred, but such behavior is really rare. An X-linked gene probably prevents it.

ETA: I think even when a woman tries to execute such an act, the words invariably come out very different. Words like 'I apologize unreservedly'. To be fair, many (most) men can't handle this (unless it is an extreme circumstance, like spoken to a wife for self-preservation.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Bronto, it seems like everyone else has it covered, but I am in agreement with all of them.

It sucks having to tell someone you like, and like being with, that you have to end a relationship. But based on your description, she is being completely unreasonable. And she isn't going to get any more reasonable in the future.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Yeah, seriously. I'm curious what the comment was, because I'm coming from this assuming it was a stupid nothing comment blown out of proportion. Was the GF extremely nervous going to Tgiving at your parents' house? Other than my wife, I never would have considered bringing a girl to meet my parents that early in a relationship, let alone for a major holiday. I haven't lived within 3 hours of my parents since HS, so maybe that makes it more of a big deal to meet the parents. If she was uncomfortable or worried about your family liking her, she could have felt threatened by the fiancee having a 2 year headstart and already being integrated into the family. That doesn't make her actions remotely sane. Even if it was a major offense, grow the fuck up and move past it. Your bro lives in the area, right? Obviously can't avoid them forever.

Does she feel threatened by your relationship with your brother? Asking you to choose between her or your brother after 3 months is completely delusional. So glad you didn't skip the concert. If you stay with her, except this type of behavior to be the norm. Probably much worse though, since Tgiving with a new BFs family you'd expect she'd be on her best behavior. Be thankful her insanity came out early. Cut all ties, move on.
Bolded: Pretty much. I noticed them because I knew she was on high alert, but I would not have noticed them otherwise. And even when I noticed them, I would not have said anything -- they weren't worth it. There's a 10-year age gap between the two women (my brother's fiance is 22, (ex)GF is 32) and I think that plays into it significantly. And shit, how many of us have said things in not the most PC way at 22?

She'd been with my parents multiple times before, though they were for a couple World Series games at my place. Very low pressure and I usually had both the movie screen outside and the big screen inside going. And she wanted me to meet her family for Thanksgiving. So I had reciprocated. I wasn't going to miss it with my family or leave her out. She should not have been nervous. My family is pretty low on the dysfunction scale.

I have no idea about the threatening part. My brother and I see each other multiple times a week, either at the dog park with our dogs or to watch sports, etc. The engagement just happened on Friday, so I'm not sure if that had an effect either. But ... she wasn't going anywhere anyway. I knew it was coming sooner rather than later, so it's simply just official. I wasn't going to terminate my relationship with them because the girl I was dating couldn't act like an adult.

Had she proposed talking to my brother's fiance before last night I would have made it happen. But she was avoiding them at all costs (she hid when they came to pick up their dog from my house the Sunday after Thanksgiving when they got back from the Chiefs game). How was she going to say something when she wasn't going to see them?

It was so odd. Especially considering she couldn't budge to try to make it work. Over something that was inconsequential. At best. Of all the family drama issues to have...
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

You should be thankful this came up now instead of 6-9 months down the road. Seriously.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo wrote:You should ... of 6...9 ... Seriously.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

32? Jesus. Grow the fuck up.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

She's 32 and hiding from other human beings?

.02: She feels threatened that a 22 yo just got engaged and she isn't, and likely overreacted/projected that via some stupid petty thing.

I know it's not easy to say "oh well" when you've invested time an energy into someone, but fuck that noise. You're better off.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote:32? Jesus. Grow the fuck up.
Age don't matter, man. I have a 49 year-old sister who I've mentioned here has been on meds, but she does shit like this all the time. Two months ago, she called my mother in-law a "fucking bitch" in front of my daughter after an incident where her husband left a glass of scotch out for 2 hours and wondered where it had gone. After he pitched a mini-hissy, my MIL simply said "maybe put it in the fridge next time" and that set her off. We haven't spoken since especially since her "apology" to my wife was basically how her parents are horrible people who treat her like shit (neither is true).
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha, I read that and thought "I guess that makes a little sense given her age and the age gap" but I'd inverted the ages. That's ... yeah. See if the 22 year old has some nice friends?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:Ha, I read that and thought "I guess that makes a little sense given her age and the age gap" but I'd inverted the ages. That's ... yeah. See if the 22 year old has some nice friends?
Exactly what I was thinking. Plus, the future SIL is probably impressed that you're taking her side.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Sabo wrote:You should be thankful this came up now instead of 6-9 months down the road. Seriously.
Word. I have a similar situation in my family (except with spouses other than fiance/GF), and as a result my brother rarely attends family functions, never replies to phone calls, texts or emails -- he completely fell off the map.

(my bro and I grew up together - we were in the same grade so we had the same classes from preschool through high school, shared a room as kids, have the same group of friends, moved in to an apartment together after college, found jobs together, etc. we were inseparable for the 1st 30 years of our lives. so the situation sucks for me...but its even worse for my parents.)
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Giff wrote:
Age don't matter, man. I have a 49 year-old sister who I've mentioned here has been on meds, but she does shit like this all the time. Two months ago, she called my mother in-law a "fucking bitch" in front of my daughter after an incident where her husband left a glass of scotch out for 2 hours and wondered where it had gone. After he pitched a mini-hissy, my MIL simply said "maybe put it in the fridge next time" and that set her off. We haven't spoken since especially since her "apology" to my wife was basically how her parents are horrible people who treat her like shit (neither is true).
Agree that age has nothing to do with it. Some folks can't live without drama in their lives, especially if they had tumultuous childhoods.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Keg wrote:
Giff wrote:
Agree that age has nothing to do with it. Some folks can't live without drama in their lives, especially if they had tumultuous childhoods.
As far as I know she didn't. She just keeps getting away with it because the rest of the family appeases my parents who just want their kids to act as if they're happy.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Keg wrote:
Sabo wrote:You should be thankful this came up now instead of 6-9 months down the road. Seriously.
Word. I have a similar situation in my family (except with spouses other than fiance/GF), and as a result my brother rarely attends family functions, never replies to phone calls, texts or emails -- he completely fell off the map.

(my bro and I grew up together - we were in the same grade so we had the same classes from preschool through high school, shared a room as kids, have the same group of friends, moved in to an apartment together after college, found jobs together, etc. we were inseparable for the 1st 30 years of our lives. so the situation sucks for me...but its even worse for my parents.)
Keg, that is awful. My brother and I are 14 months apart, and we lived together in college. We didn't work together and live in 4 hours apart, but to have a spouse come in a fuck up the relationship would be devastating. Thankfully my SIL is awesome.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Keg wrote: so the situation sucks for me...but its even worse for my parents.)
I bet it's even worse for your brother who is trapped with a psychotic bitch.

Giff, that really sucks. Your MiL seems really cool and sweet judging from her responses to your Facebook posts. It doesn't take a traumatic childhood to cause her mental illness (but it helps). I hope your MiL can chalk it up to your Sis having issues and not take it personally. I've seen my sister about 5 times in the last 15 years, and two of those times were our weddings. It's done wonders for our relationship.
-Pruitt
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

This is really the first time the (ex) GF did something like this?

But I should also acknowledge that I don't find her behavior all that extreme. Even as reported, which is not exactly from her point of view. People here are way too enamored of the "avoid crazy females" narrative. There's a bit of crazy in most of us, and many of us function pretty well regardless. Even in complex relationships (which all of them are). Over time, we work things out, even if inelegantly.

Just my opinion*.

And in truth, I was in an on-again, off-again relationship for a couple of years that should have been blown up on the early side. Say, after she drove off and left me standing in a gas station on a cold winters' day on the way back to Michigan from Buffalo. Before cell phones, so my travel options were quite limited. So perhaps my opinion on this topic should be with an asterisk. Done
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Giff, that really sucks. Your MiL seems really cool and sweet judging from her responses to your Facebook posts. It doesn't take a traumatic childhood to cause her mental illness (but it helps). I hope your MiL can chalk it up to your Sis having issues and not take it personally. I've seen my sister about 5 times in the last 15 years, and two of those times were our weddings. It's done wonders for our relationship.
Thanks, man. If this was the first incident, we'd definitely just chalk it up to that. But it's a trend that keeps coming back, so we're just taking a step away until she's able to get it under control better.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DC47 wrote:There's a bit of crazy in most of us, and many of us function pretty well regardless.
Sure, probably, but doing it in front of his family is where it seems to cross from "bad day" into "bad idea".
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Tastes vary. But I'm certainly incorporating the idea that the poor behavior was in the presence of parents. This too is something that I believe displays some cultural bias. The idea that 'in front of family' requires some kind of more refined sensibility and burying conlict strikes me as an upper-class/suburban value.

In much of the known world, people commonly fight it out among family members. They behave 'badly' (that is, at the lower end of a normal range) while in their presence. Part of this has to do with cultural norms. Part of it no doubt has to do with simply living at close hand (like yards away, not miles away) or being in a small community where you can't effectively hide all the discord, the drunken misbehavior, the interpersonal conflicts.

The value of 'being real' conflicts with the value of 'being polite around family.' Addressing this intrinsic conflict by leaning heavily on the second value is not necessarily the intrinsically right thing to do in life. People who are good at the second are not necessarily less crazy. They are certainly more easily managed. But to make this a key point in judging a romantic relationship strikes me as a narrow point of view. Again, it fits the narrative of 'many women are too emotional' (that is, 'crazy'), so you should dump them.

I also don't think that much of this woman's behavior can be called extreme. Moving to a different room during a holiday celebration, not being willing to attend a concert with someone you think is hostile to you -- this is extreme only from a very constricted viewpoint. We're not even talking fistfights or throwing crockery. Not even talking a shouting match.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DC47 wrote:The idea that 'in front of family' requires some kind of more refined sensibility and burying conlict strikes me as an upper-class/suburban value.
Couldn't have pegged me better. When my dad got home from Sears and my mom from her job as a middle school librarian's aide, it was all fine china and repressed emotions for us.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Fuck that. This is a 32 y/o woman throwing a tantrum. There's no excuses.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

We had a really good and rational conversation last night. I just wish that it happened a week ago.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:We had a really good and rational conversation last night. I just wish that it happened a week ago.
Insights gained? Change anything?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:There's a bit of crazy in most of us, and many of us function pretty well regardless.
The woman I dated for a year, immediately prior to meeting my wife, had a lot of crazy in her. She was passionate, dramatic, excitable, and exciting. That worked great in the bedroom. But, after a year of it, and some awkward scenes rivaling Bronto's story, I was just tired of the act. It just wasn't worth it any more, and I painfully extracted myself from that relationship. I told myself that my next girlfriend was going to be a woman with her head on straight (or at least as straight as mine is.) I'm so glad I went that route.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

mister d wrote:
DC47 wrote:The idea that 'in front of family' requires some kind of more refined sensibility and burying conlict strikes me as an upper-class/suburban value.
Couldn't have pegged me better. When my dad got home from Sears and my mom from her job as a middle school librarian's aide, it was all fine china and repressed emotions for us.
And I see nothing intrinsically wrong with this set of cultural mores either.

It's the implied notion that there's one fairly narrow way that people should behave in a relationship, or in a family setting, that I find simply wrong. This isn't just a theoretical thing I learned from a book. I've seen a lot of family dysfunction. My parents did the perfect-anglophile-sublimed-emotions thing for many years, before collapsing into a morass of unemployment, alcoholism, and bankruptcy. Having experienced both, I wouldn't say the former was actually preferable. So too of my experience with the very straight-laced extended-family of my wife.

When I was 20, my girlfriend was a 38 year-old Portugese-American woman with four kids. The were roughly my age as due to pregnancy she quit school to get married at age 15. They were all 'troubled.' One was schizophrenic, one was alcoholic, and another had serious cognitive impairments and was adopted from her brother-in-law after his wife disappeared. My girlfriend was also still married to a man who was at least borderline schizophrenic and certainly a drug addict. One day her not-yet-ex-husband dropped the hood of his car on my head as I was leaning in to help him out with a repair. On another, her daughter's boyfriend told me he'd kill me after I booted him and his meth and hash oil lab out of the girlfriend's house so she could move back in. He failed, perhaps because he had to go on the run after he blew a drug dealer's head off with a shotgun a few weeks later.

I could go on. The point is that this was a seriously dysfunctional extended family by almost any standard. A bit of pouting in the other room or seemingly irrational conflict was very much the least of it. I was with her for four years or so. My conclusion was that her wildly dysfunctional family was not really so different from the one I grew up in from the point of view of the development of each individual over time.

Today my own family is massively functional. Love is in the air, arguments are rare. I can't even remember when I last crossed swords with my two teen daughters. Cue violins.

No doubt there are some repressed emotions going on around here. But while we have our challenges -- largely due to 24/7 dealing with autism and a serious medical situation -- I exult in living in such a peaceful home with such nice people. Viva la repressed emotions!

What I don't do is believe that what we've got going on around here is vastly better than what was going on in my 'dysfunctional' birth family or the family of my first serious girlfriend. The latter two were likely to have been more authentic and less emotionally repressed, as well as perhaps allowing for greater personal growth due to the various challenges that were part of every-day life. But of course, this has to be balanced against some tragic fallout. I have no idea what this adds up to, given that the fundamentals (e.g., poverty, lack of education, mental illness, ghetto context) were so difficult. So any grades have to be given using an extreme curve.

I sometimes wonder if my current serene family situation would be quite as blissful if I hadn't grown-the-hell-up in the two troubled family settings that I experienced so deeply when I was becoming who I became. We most definitely have our challenges around here. But I was immersed in so much more family turbulence for so long that so far I can do my share of coping with them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You're going into detail about real, actual problems. If her meltdown was because she had a younger sister who died and the fiancé shows similarities, that's a very different story than the seemingly unnecessary, childish drama-creating.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The dysfunctions in both my birth family and my girlfriend's family ran the gamut from gunfire to pettiness. On a daily basis, the pettiness and bickering was thick on the ground. More genuinely dramatic events came up like the holidays on a calendar; infrequent and sometimes spectacular.

It's the response to Bronto's girlfriend that I'm pointing to as problematic. I grant that she was most likely behaving immaturely. However, she may have been responding to a lot more than a few comments from the fiancee. Context matters; life is rarely that simple.

However, regardless of what triggered the girlfriend's immature behavior, treating this relatively modest incident (obviously, my opinion based on my own history) as a surefire sign of 'crazy GF' is based in a set of cultural mores that very heavily tilt in the direction of positively valuing repressed emotions and artificial politeness. This is not intrinsically good -- it's a cultural construct. And it comes with it's own price-tag, that from a different cultural point of view is extremely high.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Personally speaking, I separate "crazy" and "drama-fueled". The latter is worse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Brontoburglar wrote:We had a really good and rational conversation last night. I just wish that it happened a week ago.
What was the slight?

ETA: Did we just get totally Bronto'd?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I agree with DC that too many here are quick to throw a "crazy" label on this woman. From what Bronto wrote, she WAS insulted by the fiancee. Bronto didn't seem to think it should be a big deal, but it's hard to really judge without knowing what was said. She's the new girl, visiting the family and she's insulted by the new, younger fiancee? Sounds kinda shitty to me.

Maybe she should have been more thick-skinned, but staying in a room away from the offending party doesn't really strike me as "crazy" behavior. It doesn't sound like she made a scene.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DC47 wrote:The dysfunctions in both my birth family and my girlfriend's family ran the gamut from gunfire to pettiness. On a daily basis, the pettiness and bickering was thick on the ground. More genuinely dramatic events came up like the holidays on a calendar; infrequent and sometimes spectacular.

It's the response to Bronto's girlfriend that I'm pointing to as problematic. I grant that she was most likely behaving immaturely. However, she may have been responding to a lot more than a few comments from the fiancee. Context matters; life is rarely that simple.

However, regardless of what triggered the girlfriend's immature behavior, treating this relatively modest incident (obviously, my opinion based on my own history) as a surefire sign of 'crazy GF' is based in a set of cultural mores that very heavily tilt in the direction of positively valuing repressed emotions and artificial politeness. This is not intrinsically good -- it's a cultural construct. And it comes with it's own price-tag, that from a different cultural point of view is extremely high.
I hear what you are trying to say, but how does Bronto continue to date a 32 year old woman-child who sulks in a bedroom because she felt slighted, then continues to hide from Bronto's brother, who he is obviously very close to, and expects him to choose her over his brother. After only dating for 3 months. I know there are a lot of families a lot more dysfunctional than the scene Bronto laid out, but I see nothing wrong with advising Bronto to walk away from someone who can't or won't deal with a minor conflict, instead choosing to blow it up into an enormous deal by hiding like a petulant child. Are some families extremely fucked up? Yeah, and I would strongly advise a friend not to get entangled in the mess.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote:I hear what you are trying to say, but how does Bronto continue to date a 32 year old woman-child who sulks in a bedroom because she felt slighted, then continues to hide from Bronto's brother, who he is obviously very close to, and expects him to choose her over his brother.
Depends. How hot is she?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The Sybian wrote:I hear what you are trying to say, but how does Bronto continue to date a 32 year old woman-child who sulks in a bedroom because she felt slighted, then continues to hide from Bronto's brother, who he is obviously very close to, and expects him to choose her over his brother. After only dating for 3 months. I know there are a lot of families a lot more dysfunctional than the scene Bronto laid out, but I see nothing wrong with advising Bronto to walk away from someone who can't or won't deal with a minor conflict, instead choosing to blow it up into an enormous deal by hiding like a petulant child. Are some families extremely fucked up? Yeah, and I would strongly advise a friend not to get entangled in the mess.
First, you assume that Bronto is an objective reporter.

Second, you assume that he truly understands what was going on in a potentially very complex multi-party emotional situation.

I wouldn't hold either assumption with much certainty. I wouldn't even if I was Bronto.

For example, much of this may be about the relationship between Bronto and GF. The family situation may just be the place that the relationship tension was expressed. Just as an example, as I know nothing about the people involved, it is possible that this is largely about how the GF perceives she is treated by Bronto. Could it be that she sees herself as less respected than she'd like? And that she sees him as having ties to his family that are so strong as to be child-like, requiring submission to the family dynamic from a serious GF? That's just one scenario. I can imagine dozens in which the fiancee v. GF battle is really a secondary factor in what's going on.

Further, no one has a clue as to how Bronto feels about the GF, prior to the family conflict. I don't see him expressing anything particularly revealing about this. Does everyone who comments believe they just intuitively know, even so? Shouldn't this play a role in figuring out how quickly to cut bait rather than fish (e.g., time plus couples therapy)?

Finally, is it actually hard to imagine that Bronto may not have actually approached the upset girlfriend in an open, supportive manner? "Open" would include being open to criticisms of his family, and even his treasured brother? This is real life. Many of us are less than perfect. Sometimes a lot less than that. The dynamic I'm describing above is an extremely common case. There are others that may be in play.

A group of males who know so little about the situation and who so quickly declare the girlfriend to be a crazy drama queen who should be dumped pretty much perfectly fits the cliche of emotionally-constricted males who fear complex relationships and complex emotional situations. It might be fun to give off-the-cuff advice from this point of view. But it doesn't strike me as being all that kind to Bronto. I wouldn't approach a 'real person' this way -- and despite the internet mediation, he's real to me. I wouldn't take this approach even if, in the short term, it made Bronto feel good to have others endorse a 'dump the crazy girlfriend' impulse.

People struggling to become mature about romantic relationships shouldn't be impulsive, even if internet bros are all about this. Perhaps especially if they are.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Now, DC, your points are valid and well taken. But, maybe you are also being a bit unfair. We've all been through a few relationships by this point in our lives, and I'm sure most folks are making some assumptions about Bronto's relationship based on experiences they've had themselves. I know I was, as I related in an earlier post. An unwillingness to tolerate (perceived) excess drama in a mate doesn't necessarily make one a shallow or insensitive person. We all make decisions in life that get us closer to where we ultimately want to be. And one does need to be heroic at times in support of family members or other loved ones. But that is certainly not the case in a new relationship. If it isn't working, best to move on quickly, imho, because I believe big repairs are not a common occurrence. And I personally still think Bronto made the right move in moving this woman from GF to simply "friend".
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

At what point do you guys admit DC is trolling you all?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!