Deadspin

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Deadspin

Post by mister d »

There are only two reactions here, "oh my god!" and laughter. My family went 4 for 4.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:53 am
EnochRoot wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 pm I suffered a TBI five years ago next month. A whole lot of what he wrote rings true with me, particularly becoming paranoid, and treating those who love me like shit. Oh and I broke out of the hospital twice. Holy crap did my wife raise hell with the nursing staff when I called her both times from a pay phone outside hoping for a ride.
Damn man. Hope youre doing a lot better. That sounds pretty horrible.
I am, thanks. Basically, I tripped (drunk) and fell on my head from about 3 feet onto some concrete. Woke up 3 days later at Johns Hopkins. They’d done a bunch of MRIs to verify the cerebral bleeding had stopped (while I was unconscious).

I don’t really remember waking up..But I do remember being in the hospital. Feeling “right” when your personality has changed detrimentally is a weird place to be. Basically, I suffered a form of mania as a result of the TBI, and that lasted for pretty much a year (I stopped taking the Seroquel the neurologist prescribed because of how it made me feel, which was essentially “null and void”).
Holy shit that sounds scary. I'm glad to hear you are doing better.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 am There are only two reactions here, "oh my god!" and laughter. My family went 4 for 4.
And now I'm laughing uncontrollably again at it being in the Deadspin thread.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:36 am Poor Injured Hiker Subjected To Nightmarish Helicopter Rescue From Hell

ETA:
No firefighters were injured during the rescue.
I would have been a vomit fountain.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:04 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:36 am Poor Injured Hiker Subjected To Nightmarish Helicopter Rescue From Hell

ETA:
No firefighters were injured during the rescue.
I would have been a vomit fountain.
Yeah - while inside a tarp. Good god.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Gotta assume the cap on recovering damages against the city will the starting point for negotiations.*

*caps on damages against municipalities tend to be fairly low
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:39 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:53 am
EnochRoot wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 pm I suffered a TBI five years ago next month. A whole lot of what he wrote rings true with me, particularly becoming paranoid, and treating those who love me like shit. Oh and I broke out of the hospital twice. Holy crap did my wife raise hell with the nursing staff when I called her both times from a pay phone outside hoping for a ride.
Damn man. Hope youre doing a lot better. That sounds pretty horrible.
I am, thanks. Basically, I tripped (drunk) and fell on my head from about 3 feet onto some concrete. Woke up 3 days later at Johns Hopkins. They’d done a bunch of MRIs to verify the cerebral bleeding had stopped (while I was unconscious).

I don’t really remember waking up..But I do remember being in the hospital. Feeling “right” when your personality has changed detrimentally is a weird place to be. Basically, I suffered a form of mania as a result of the TBI, and that lasted for pretty much a year (I stopped taking the Seroquel the neurologist prescribed because of how it made me feel, which was essentially “null and void”).
Holy shit that sounds scary. I'm glad to hear you are doing better.
Thanks, I am!
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I don't ski. I also don't snowboard. But for those of you who do (and even if you don't), this was a fun read:

https://deadspin.com/the-last-holdouts- ... in_twitter
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 am I don't ski. I also don't snowboard. But for those of you who do (and even if you don't), this was a fun read:

Despite their attempts to downplay it in the article, my wife and I go to Deer Valley *because* they don't allow snowboarders. (But only rarely, since it's so fucking expensive.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:57 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 am I don't ski. I also don't snowboard. But for those of you who do (and even if you don't), this was a fun read:

Despite their attempts to downplay it in the article, my wife and I go to Deer Valley *because* they don't allow snowboarders. (But only rarely, since it's so fucking expensive.)
Interesting article. I haven't skied at all in a few years, but I certainly remember the "skiers vs. snowboarders" days of yore, back when I skied regularly. I was solidly in the skiers camp then, because whenever there was an accident it seemed like a snowboarder caused it. But, now, after reading the article, maybe the war is over. (But, I hear ya, Steve!)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:05 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:57 am

Interesting article. I haven't skied at all in a few years, but I certainly remember the "skiers vs. snowboarders" days of yore, back when I skied regularly. I was solidly in the skiers camp then, because whenever there was an accident it seemed like a snowboarder caused it. But, now, after reading the article, maybe the war is over. (But, I hear ya, Steve!)
The war should not be over. Snowboarders, being largely young men, are a bunch of knuckleheads. They are way more likely than skiers to invade your space. (Though to be fair, the only actual collision my wife or I have had was with a skier. A woman. At Deer Valley.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Weird. Independent of The Swamp, I just finished reading that article. You can see my greyed out/pending comments I just dropped.

I think Steve is somewhat correct, but like I said over there, it was a much MUCH bigger deal in the 80s and 90s when the snowboarding was just taking off. And, yes, part of it was because they were teenage punks with the corresponding recklessness and not giving a shit about the actual rules of the mountain. But the other part was that most of them just sucked at it, as anyone picking up a new and very difficult hobby tends to be. The reason surfers tend to beat the shit out of noobs isn't just turf, it's because they don't know what they're doing and they fuck up the experience for everyone. Same thing with snowboarders, only the problem on the slopes is that snowboarders would routinely punch above their weight and show up on hard blues and blacks and then you've got them scattered all over the place and making ridiculously wide and slow turns because they were freaked out.

Anyways, the lingering issue I still have is that they clog up the lift exits and clump up at bad spots on the slopes. They are always on their ass, in the way.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, today's WYTS entry is for the Denver Broncos. I'm proud to say that Drew included an excerpt of an email from me in his piece!
In a division with Mahomes, Marmalard, and even Derek Carr, I can’t believe my team is making a concerted effort to convince me that Joe fucking Flacco is going to lead my Broncos to the promised land.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:57 am So, today's WYTS entry is for the Denver Broncos. I'm proud to say that Drew included an excerpt of an email from me in his piece!
In a division with Mahomes, Marmalard, and even Derek Carr, I can’t believe my team is making a concerted effort to convince me that Joe fucking Flacco is going to lead my Broncos to the promised land.
WOOT!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Tree Crushes Car

Of particular interest is the interview.

Billy Tatum rules!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don’t think West Virginia gets enough credit for how fucked up it really is.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And he’s the self-aware one.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A commenter at this Charlie Pierce piece suggested shifting from "Why Your Team Sucks" to "Why Your Owner Sucks". I would be there for all 32 and demanding expansion to other major sports leagues.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...any avenues of dissent are being attacked and shutdown, then. Or silenced. It’s pretty clear now.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Every good writer should be looking for other work.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EIC Megan greenwell resigning after a protracted battle with new management. Being told site needs to “stick to sports”. Deadspin had its best month ever in June, by the way, 17 million unique visitors.

Details here:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/deadspin- ... and-gaslit
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

But seriously, if I woke up tomorrow with the untold riches that seem to be only reserved for conservative fucks, my vanity project would be a site where I turn the old grantland/mtv crew and deadspin crew loose to fucking turn over every rock and burn down as much of the 1% fucks as is possible.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm EIC Megan greenwell resigning after a protracted battle with new management. Being told site needs to “stick to sports”. Deadspin had its best month ever in June, by the way, 17 million unique visitors.

Details here:

If they really try to make Deadspin a "stick-to-sports" safe haven for maga chuds, I would hope that Magary and their other talent finds a new home, and Deadspin can then circle the drain.
Last edited by sancarlos on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You either die a Sports Blog or live long enough enough to become mainstream media.

I'd love to see what Will Leitch has to say about this. The site was literally founded as the antithesis of "stick to sports."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Would love to see someone else organize them under a new name and let the value of the deadspin name die.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:35 pm Would love to see someone else organize them under a new name and let the value of the deadspin name die.
Right. Hence my daydream of having the money to do that.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm EIC Megan greenwell resigning after a protracted battle with new management. Being told site needs to “stick to sports”. Deadspin had its best month ever in June, by the way, 17 million unique visitors.

Details here:

What's sickening (besides the obvious for Deadspin and their staff) is all the Barstool/MAGA choads who think this somehow vindicates Barstool and their loathsome behavior.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A large number of wells at the end of the implementation of the rehabilitation complex of measures can be reintroduced into use. Moreover, the total cost of these completed works is ten times lower than the sum of the structures themselves.
Guaranteed increase in sales of the water well at least thirty percent of the existing tasks at the time of launch.

In eighty S% of cases, wells are resumed to the initial data when introduced into the use of the well, this becomes an alternative to drilling a new well.

The employees of our enterprise for Cleaning Gradilen Bowls and Cleaning water-lifting pipes offer their services to everyone, both private and public associations.
Noli Timere Messorem
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 pm A large number of wells at the end of the implementation of the rehabilitation complex of measures can be reintroduced into use. Moreover, the total cost of these completed works is ten times lower than the sum of the structures themselves.
Guaranteed increase in sales of the water well at least thirty percent of the existing tasks at the time of launch.

In eighty S% of cases, wells are resumed to the initial data when introduced into the use of the well, this becomes an alternative to drilling a new well.

The employees of our enterprise for Cleaning Gradilen Bowls and Cleaning water-lifting pipes offer their services to everyone, both private and public associations.
Listen, I’m the fuckin well guy around here. This dude can fuck right off.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It is a deep subject .
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Maybe the humour's run its course, maybe Drew Magarry's health issues got in the way, maybe the problems at Deadspin have got in the way... but this year's "Why Your Team Sucks" has not been anywhere near as funny as in previous years.

However, this from a fan in the Bears' entry made me laugh out loud:
I went to the tailgate for the Playoff game, and ran into my ex-girlfriend, who I haven’t seen in years. After we made eye contact, and awkwardly said hello to each other, I was introduced to her now to the man she cheated on with me with, then left me for, and is now her husband. Thanks to Cody Parkey, that was the second worst thing to happen to me that day.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:02 pm Maybe the humour's run its course, maybe Drew Magarry's health issues got in the way, maybe the problems at Deadspin have got in the way... but this year's "Why Your Team Sucks" has not been anywhere near as funny as in previous years.

However, this from a fan in the Bears' entry made me laugh out loud:
I went to the tailgate for the Playoff game, and ran into my ex-girlfriend, who I haven’t seen in years. After we made eye contact, and awkwardly said hello to each other, I was introduced to her now to the man she cheated on with me with, then left me for, and is now her husband. Thanks to Cody Parkey, that was the second worst thing to happen to me that day.
That entry did not have nearly enough complaints about how much of the fanbase still hangs on Ditka's every incoherent word.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’ve come to the conclusion that the fans of every NFC North are horrible.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That was dispiriting -- especially to someone who works in the media industry.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I could tell you all first hand -- not that you'd need me to confirm it for you -- that this is so, so, so fucking true:
A metastasizing swath of media is controlled by private-equity vultures and capricious billionaires and other people who genuinely believe that they are rich because they are smart and that they are smart because they are rich, and that anyone less rich is by definition less smart. They know what they know, and they don’t need to know anything else.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:02 pm And...her mic drop:

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-a ... 1837487584
I really don’t understand the model and why talented journalists continue to stay there if things are like this (and I don’t doubt that they are), especially when we’ve seen the profitable rise of companies like The Athletic. Magary alone is enough to buoy a site I would read and or subscribe to. Barry Patchesky(?) has a refreshing humorous take on hockey I’d gladly pay to read. It’s it just the fear of the unknown that keeps people under the thumb? To be clear I think Greenwell is spot on, talented, and took that site in a great direction.

I also certainly don’t understand the ins and outs of an employee announcing they are resigning and then allowing that person to hang around and air out the laundry like this, but that’s another discussion.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:17 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:02 pm And...her mic drop:

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-a ... 1837487584
I really don’t understand the model and why talented journalists continue to stay there if things are like this (and I don’t doubt that they are), especially when we’ve seen the profitable rise of companies like The Athletic. Magary alone is enough to buoy a site I would read and or subscribe to. Barry Patchesky(?) has a refreshing humorous take on hockey I’d gladly pay to read. It’s it just the fear of the unknown that keeps people under the thumb? ...
The journalists at Deadspin and its sister sites, like most journalists I know, are eager to do work that makes money; we are even willing to compromise for it, knowing that our jobs and futures rest on it.
When it comes to writing gigs, it is always a buyer's market. Very few writers or journalists or editors can afford to walk away from a job, and I'd imagine that when medical benefits are involved, it'd be nearly impossible for someone to quit.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Details here:

Not "sticking to sports" yet. I wonder when the overlords are going to bring things to a head.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Hahaha the site right now rules. Check out the featured past stories at the top and then the tags on the all the new stories. Get it while it lasts.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The