Deadspin

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Deadspin

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:54 am Once upon a time Deadspin was dogshit and condemned widely on this very site.

Granted, they switched up who's written for them along the years, but still. Magary wasn't exactly Mr. Popularity that entire time.
True. They know a thing or two about getting away with crap and hiding in plain sight.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:54 am Once upon a time Deadspin was dogshit and condemned widely on this very site.

Granted, they switched up who's written for them along the years, but still. Magary wasn't exactly Mr. Popularity that entire time.
Magary is fine but I find it funny when he bashes Bill Simmons, considering how similar their New England prep school backgrounds and careers in writing are.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Take it to the Deadspin thread you guys
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Hey, can anyone think of any other sports-related sites that have become way less misogynist and gross as its members have gotten older and wiser?

(1. Kelly Taylor
2. Valerie Malone
3. Claire Arnold
4. Gina Kincaid...)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm currently mad.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also, I was watching some retrospective on National Lampoon's Vacation and Nikki Witt is one of those women who gets better looking as they age.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:46 am
EdRomero wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:55 pm I Would Like To Offer A 50 Dollar Gift Card To Our Store To The Vine Star Who Originally Posted the Miel Bredouw Video Before Miel Bredouw And Is Getting No Credit
Barstool's method of defense is to attack the messenger, and Deadspin seems to make that pretty easy for them. It seems Deadspin is only noticed (well at least by me) when they screw up or when they attack Barstool.
Funny, I only ever hear about Barstool when Deadspin points out how unbelievably shitty they’re being. You really should read Deadspin. A lot of good writing going on over there.
Is there a deadspin writer worth following? I found barstool through Jerry Thornton (who now I can't stand other than his NFL draft preview stuff), and that led me to Jared Carrabis, who is my second favorite Red Sox follow after Alex Speier, and a little bit to Dan Greenberg. They do in-depth analysis of Boston teams (with lots of homerism, which drives non-Boston fans away) and they have turned into more interesting follows than anyone with traditional media lately. I guess my general frustration is liking the substance of their writers (and the PMT podcast), but all the attention goes to their attention-seeking assholery. I find it similar to liking Howard Stern 20 years ago -- he was criticized for his raunchiness and nastiness to people, but the main reason I liked him was he was genuinely funny and compelling when he just discussed his life and the news with Robin. Sorry to wander away from talking about deadspin, but it all kinda fits -- a part of deadspin, barstool, and Howard Stern's success is they were different than what was offered from mainstream media -- and there is some talent behind it beyond what gets all the attention.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

These sites all exist because ESPN is a monolith who refused to talk about sports in a non-stuffy, statesman way. Tides were changing. People wanted to talk about sports the way you'd do it in a bar.

Deadspin was literally started by Will Leitch because at the height of the Mike Vick dog fighting ring drama a photo of him in a limo with a girl surfaced where there is clear herpes on his lip and no one said anything about to it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ones I follow on twitter ("the ultimate compliment"): Tom Ley, Barry Petchesky, David Roth (A+ follow), Laura Wagner

I think the two websites come from a similar place of being not the popular kid in HS but also not the unpopular kid, but have since diverged where Deadspin is humilated by who they wanted to be and Barstool is thrilled to think they've attained that HS cool.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Wait, having a cold sore/fever blister is newsworthy? I should have been famous from the time I was 5!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Roth, Magary, and Burneko are all really good and fun to read. Even the niche stuff gets my attention because the writing is on point, like the guy who does tennis and the woman who does gymnastics and, this week, breakdancing. Ray Ratto's doing articles recently and he's amazing. Lauren Theisen is good. I'd say if The Athletic ever runs out of money, Deadspin is kind of becoming the deep-bench successor.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 am Ones I follow on twitter ("the ultimate compliment"): Tom Ley, Barry Petchesky, David Roth (A+ follow), Laura Wagner

I think the two websites come from a similar place of being not the popular kid in HS but also not the unpopular kid, but have since diverged where Deadspin is humilated by who they wanted to be and Barstool is thrilled to think they've attained that HS cool.
I had Will Leitch in an RSS feed back in the day. Iron Minds? Good list btw...H/T to Hamilton Nolan too.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 am Ones I follow on twitter ("the ultimate compliment"): Tom Ley, Barry Petchesky, David Roth (A+ follow), Laura Wagner

This is a pretty good analogy. Barstool has some talented people — for all the bad things you can say about Portnoy, my impression is that he’s at least willing to pay his people well. But the overall strategy of the site is appealing to the mind of an early-20s kid who’s scared he won’t be able to party and act like an asshole for much longer and thus takes comfort in seeing guys in their 30s and 40s who still act like that.

Deadspin has definitely swung far in a different direction to try to atone for the sins of the Daulerio days. As a result, I think it can take itself too seriously at times but I still read it.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 am Roth, Magary, and Burneko are all really good and fun to read. Even the niche stuff gets my attention because the writing is on point, like the guy who does tennis and the woman who does gymnastics and, this week, breakdancing. Ray Ratto's doing articles recently and he's amazing. Lauren Theisen is good. I'd say if The Athletic ever runs out of money, Deadspin is kind of becoming the deep-bench successor.
Big fan of the Athletic. It’s a never ending flow of the Sunday paper Sports section.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is a very accurate take, at least as far as Deadspin's evolution over the years. I have no use for Barstool.

Deadspin is often the ONLY sports outlet with a national audience to go after the PSUs, MSUs, NCAA-scandal, whatever fuckery is going on with the NFL, etc.

They do real journalism and they don't boot lick whatever establishment needs going after... The NFL coverage, in particular, is pretty necessary given the bullshit that goes on with NFL's anointed beat reporters.

Gawker being sued out of existence sobered that crew up. They got away with a shit ton of TMZ-esque shit (and worse) and thought they could get away with anything. I think it's shitty how they got worked by the system, but at least it resulted in some introspection and a much more purposeful approach to covering important issues.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Here's a great example of the work Deadspin is doing that no one else (I know of) is because its too much of a direct hit to an insider or because it draws the straight line that others refuse to draw in the interest of fairness (to insiders/power): Charley Casserly Probably Wishes He'd Kept His Mouth Shut
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Magary has written at length about how he had to grow up, and change himself and his views from where he was a few years ago. If I can find one piece in particular on that subject I'll post it. It was very introspective and self-critical.
---
ETA: Here the Magary piece I referred to above. (I didn't remember that it was also a piece where he also hammered on Barstool.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The most annoying thing about this is they could've used the better version of the song that she actually did:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Norman Chad's article is pretty damn good:

Trolls ripped me after I tweeted ‘Barstool Sports’ Dave Portnoy is a disease.’ I stand by it.
Portnoy is the founder of Barstool Sports, an overflowing toilet disguised as a sports blog. Barstool Sports exhibits the very worst of America, which, of late, is a hard title to come by. To his discredit, Portnoy has proved that crass, ugly, crude and boorish is the road to Internet riches.

Barstool Sports makes Deadspin look like The New Yorker.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Now Barstool is openly embracing how much they suck...

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giannis is great.

Watch the video....

It's great, right?

Then read the first thread of comments (started by HighAndTight).
[+] spoiler
I saw it when watching the video before reading the comments. I mean, Jesus Fucking Christ. Law enforcement is there in large part to protect Giannis, and as soon as he gets up to go hug a child, Officer Superman reaches for his piece.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Private equity. What could go wrong.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:44 pm Private equity. What could go wrong.
Hulkamania could run wild on them
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Just finished it. Harrowing.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

His thing was 100 times worse than my thing, so not making comparisons, but it brought back a lot of memories I had kind of pushed aside and don't think about.

Everything I've read about the brain since basically agrees how it's a miracle we understand as much about it as we do and yet still don't really know much of anything. It's the last frontier of medical science.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jesus.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am Just finished it. Harrowing.
Ditto
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Something very similar happened but without the same outcome to a girl we knew a few cities ago. Good to see the flipside story here.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Incredible story.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:50 am Everything I've read about the brain since basically agrees how it's a miracle we understand as much about it as we do and yet still don't really know much of anything. It's the last frontier of medical science.
Having worked for the last 5 years at one of the leading brain/neuroscience research institutes in the world, with some absolutely brilliant scientists, it is stunning how little is known about how the brain operates.

And yeah....that story by Drew is intense. He is so lucky.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I suffered a TBI five years ago next month. A whole lot of what he wrote rings true with me, particularly becoming paranoid, and treating those who love me like shit. Oh and I broke out of the hospital twice. Holy crap did my wife raise hell with the nursing staff when I called her both times from a pay phone outside hoping for a ride.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sooo ... if this isn’t the final nail for a reasonable person:

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 pm I suffered a TBI five years ago next month. A whole lot of what he wrote rings true with me, particularly becoming paranoid, and treating those who love me like shit. Oh and I broke out of the hospital twice. Holy crap did my wife raise hell with the nursing staff when I called her both times from a pay phone outside hoping for a ride.
Damn man. Hope youre doing a lot better. That sounds pretty horrible.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:53 am
EnochRoot wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 pm I suffered a TBI five years ago next month. A whole lot of what he wrote rings true with me, particularly becoming paranoid, and treating those who love me like shit. Oh and I broke out of the hospital twice. Holy crap did my wife raise hell with the nursing staff when I called her both times from a pay phone outside hoping for a ride.
Damn man. Hope youre doing a lot better. That sounds pretty horrible.
I am, thanks. Basically, I tripped (drunk) and fell on my head from about 3 feet onto some concrete. Woke up 3 days later at Johns Hopkins. They’d done a bunch of MRIs to verify the cerebral bleeding had stopped (while I was unconscious).

I don’t really remember waking up..But I do remember being in the hospital. Feeling “right” when your personality has changed detrimentally is a weird place to be. Basically, I suffered a form of mania as a result of the TBI, and that lasted for pretty much a year (I stopped taking the Seroquel the neurologist prescribed because of how it made me feel, which was essentially “null and void”).
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Holy shit. That’s one of those things I’m always surprised doesn’t happen more often.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Poor Injured Hiker Subjected To Nightmarish Helicopter Rescue From Hell

ETA:
No firefighters were injured during the rescue.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."