Strong work. I really enjoyed that.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Re: Deadspin

Post by Shirley »

I'll admit to reading through pretty much all of Tucker Max's site and laughing at a lot of it. I also got a lot of laughs out of the awfully mean "Fat Chicks in Party Hats."
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I read all of his books and saw the movie based off one of them. (It was a shit movie that was filmed in Shreveport.)

When I was younger it was funny. Looking back now that I'm older, I'm more impressed he got a law degree from Duke while actually living and partying in Cancun which, according to him, triggered the mandatory attendance rules.

The rest of his charlatanism was overblown silliness. I also took part in crazy things when I was younger (Guam stuff) and I realized he was smart enough to exploit a market that hadn't been tapped yet for money purposes. (Writing blogs)

Also, he looks like Max Kellerman a little bit. That threw me off when I first saw Max Kellerman on tv.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah. Crackerjack stuff.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah. Crackerjack stuff.

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That was cool. I have to say, one thing I liked about Dodger Stadium was the diversity in the crowd.

Is baseball still that popular in Mexico? I don't know how to check this out, but it seems like there have been very few prominent Mexican ballplayers since Fernando, especially compared to other Latin American countries.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yup. Thanks for the heads up.

I second Steve - the crowd a few weeks back at the NLDS game was easily the most diverse sports crowd I have even been among.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

How soon we forget Jorge Cantu.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Diane Moskowitz bat signal is up:

https://deadspin.com/you-survived-at-nf ... 1821277178
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

govmentchedda wrote:How soon we forget Jorge Cantu.

And Vinny Castilla...
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote:The Diane Moskowitz bat signal is up:

https://deadspin.com/you-survived-at-nf ... 1821277178

I actually interviewed at NFL Network several years ago. It was a little bit of a courtesy interview on both sides - got referred by a friend who worked there, had met the person who interviewed me previously - ended up saying I wasn't interested because the salary was too low, which the interviewer understood completely.

From spending a little time around some of the employees, the culture there is unsurprising. Granted, I was in social situations with my friend's co-workers, but with their very stereotypical jock-ish, alpha male personalities, I wasn't going out of my way to make inroads with them.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Curt Schilling being Curt Schilling

https://deadspin.com/hall-of-fame-candi ... 1821655648
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Swatting? Jesus Titty-Fucking-Christ.

I mean, how’s that not a form of terrorism?
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote:Swatting? Jesus Titty-Fucking-Christ.

I mean, how’s that not a form of terrorism?

Man, that is horrible. Lots of assholes in that story.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Magary fisks simmons.

It's actually awful how easy it was.

Simmons: “I think granting Garoppolo clemency was the first, only and final moment of altruism in BB’s career. He just couldn’t look at those sad eyes in meetings any more as he chewed up a player’s prime.”

Magary: Oh well thank God I have HENCH here to toss out an embellished version of what Wickersham actually reported out and confirmed in the very article you’re bitching about. David Halberstam used quotes in plenty of his work, but maybe Simmons is right that he didn’t need them as much as others because he was the very best at what he did. Simmons, by contrast, needed to quote his fucking golf buddy to make a point. What’s that tell you?

Simmons: My theory, trotted out on last Friday’s B.S. Podcast, was that the younger Garoppolo had won over everyone in the locker room — true, by all accounts, by the way — whereas the notoriously team-first Brady promoted himself in 2017 more than ever before.

Magary: THAT’S IN THE ESPN STORY YOU COMPLETE FUCKING DOPE. Have I lost my goddamn mind? I feel like all my skin is gonna melt off. “Hey, this report about Blake Bortles being a lousy QB is fake news. Why isn’t anyone paying attention to my podcast, where I teased out the idea that Blake Bortles…is a lousy QB? TRUE BY ALL ACCOUNTS BY THE WAY.”
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Perfection.

This is good stuff too (and accurate).
People ask us why we harp on Bill Simmons a lot here and the answer is because he’s the most powerful, influential sportswriter in America. He is the only man who was given not one but TWO blank checks to open up a vanity shop, wherein he can collect writers to lend him the kind of prestige that his own work cannot. And he sucks. He is a deluded brat whose entire reference point for anything is himself, and who has sunk ever deeper into flannel-draped megalomania in his quest to become a peer among West Coast tech bros. That, my friends, is newsworthy shit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

https://deadspin.com/dead-letters-go-ba ... 1822818341

The guy who left the voicemail at the end of this article is apparently one of Indy's finest. Couple googles gets me that he lives here and almost lost his license to do business here because he wasn't paying child support and they tracked him down. Y'all should Camaro this asshat.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I called the number but it just said "This is duff, leave a message."
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 pm I called the number but it just said "This is duff, leave a message."
Hey monkeyboy, I am 574, not 317.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

hoo boy, is this good stuff (especially for those of us who follow and identify with big time college programs:

https://deadspin.com/how-big-colleges-p ... 1823903554

A taste:
There are analogues to “Spartans Will” at pretty much every major university. “We Are Penn State” is one of the closest, both for its strident emptiness and its association with a sexual-abuse scandal that reached the upper levels of the institution. There’s also “Bear Down” at Arizona, which was trotted out after Sean Miller came under fire for possibly endorsing the payment of DeAndre Ayton. My own alma mater, the University of Michigan, constantly bombards students and alumni with “Leaders and Best.” No industry in America has its slogans more cheerfully and passionately repeated by its customers than higher education. And now that schools have the power to connect with alums through all forms of social media, those slogans have only become more organized and widespread.

However wised-up you might be, this constant marketing tends to make an impression. Until I started reporting this article, I hadn’t noticed the extent to which Michigan’s “Block M”—registered as a trademark in 1982—dominates my post-grad apartment. It’s on my laptop, a pillow, a bottle opener, a flag, a blanket, and a pennant. Taken altogether, it’s both very normal and a little creepy. The University of Florida’s brand guide leads off with a particularly scary summary of this relationship between alum and alma mater: “The brand strengthens you—and you strengthen the brand.”

This isn’t always a healthy symbiosis. What the brand wants is not inherently synonymous with what you want, but when the brand sets its mind on something—selling merch, winning tax breaks, fighting back against scandals that call the whole cynical enterprise into question—it can readily field an army of loyalists to support the cause. These devoted followers will deflect criticism and attack those who question their alma mater just as loyally as they’ll cheer for the team on game day. They’ll do so in something like unison. They already know their rallying cry.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nods at Laura Wagner, well done:

https://deadspin.com/so-who-is-barstool ... 1826203697
Perhaps more importantly, though, the real value of PFT Commenter’s shtick imitating a dog-whistling, sexist, message-board idiot is tricking people—or at least certain people, whose opinions matter very much—into thinking that Barstool Sports is not in fact dominated by racist, neanderthal bullies who harass women online, videotape each other in the shower, and call underage girls hot, repeatedly, but in fact some high-concept gag. This isn’t the thing itself, PFT Commenter’s presence proclaims, in the face of a mountain of evidence that it is. But we’re all in on the joke.
Last edited by tennbengal on Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:05 pm Nods at Laura Wagner, well done:

Agreed.

Semi-related: I like Richard Deitsch's podcast, but I still can't get over his fawning over their (Barstool's) CEO, Erika Nardini.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:05 pm Nods at Laura Wagner, well done:

Agreed.

Semi-related: I like Richard Deitsch's podcast, but I still can't get over his fawning over their (Barstool's) CEO, Erika Nardini.
Yup.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A very loud "no comment" in there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So, can he answer that question with full truth and empathy without getting fired from Barstool? If I worked for a dude who was an asshole, I'm going to put my paycheck ahead of a question like that 100% of the time.

You think I can be honest and open about Trump in an on the record interview?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

you're also not hiding behind a caricature at your place of employment, so it's not apples to apples
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That felt like the Swamp calling out someone for not posting scores.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:19 pm you're also not hiding behind a caricature at your place of employment, so it's not apples to apples
Actually Johnnie is a mild-mannered insurance agent from Utah who crafted his internet persona to satirize military life and New England sports bro culture.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:19 pm you're also not hiding behind a caricature at your place of employment, so it's not apples to apples
That's totally fair. However, I wear a uniform and could potentially be placed into a position to answer a sensitive question regarding something about a politician or the president that could put me in a bind. I'm taught to deflect.

Luckily, the press isn't keen on asking lower enlisted members about the complexities of sexual assault, military suicide, or countries that we're bombing and why.

So that's my perspective. I won't defend barstool, but PFT/Eric seems like a decent person who works for a shit company. Same goes for the ZBT guys.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Colbert hypothetical seemed fair.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:34 pmI won't defend barstool, but PFT/Eric seems like a decent person who works for a shit company.
Challenging that line of thinking it almost the entire point of the article.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

It's possible to believe that a business or organization is a deplorable dumpster fire full of pick-your-negative-adjective and also believe that an individual within that organization is doing good work. I'm not sure why sides have to be chosen.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Because everything is black and white. There's no such thing as nuance or critical thinking here.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

FWIW, I have a hard time judging PFT or anyone else for working for Barstool without knowing what their other options were. I’d be willing to bet that Barstool offered PFT more money to work for them than anyone else did at the time. A lot of the other prominent sports blogs are pretty notorious for paying their contributors like crap.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Rex wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 pm That felt like the Swamp calling out someone for not posting scores.
Yeah. Not sure when Wagner joined Deadspin but any Deadpin or Gawker contributor who took a paycheck while AJ Daulerio was their editor doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on in criticizing anyone for working for Barstool.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Joe K wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 pm
Rex wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 pm That felt like the Swamp calling out someone for not posting scores.
Yeah. Not sure when Wagner joined Deadspin but any Deadpin or Gawker contributor who took a paycheck while AJ Daulerio was their editor doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on in criticizing anyone for working for Barstool.
I guess the problem is you can’t find a sports media org pure enough to properly call out another sports media org.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rex wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:40 pm
Joe K wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 pm
I guess the problem is you can’t find a sports media org pure enough to properly call out another sports media org.
Damn, if only the folks at Sportsfrog still had a front page!