Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Deadspin

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:I love Roth.

So good:

These are Triple Crown stats that match perfectly with the tweet’s dipshittery. This is Ike Davis three seasons before he decides to reinvent himself as a pitcher. It’s Yuniesky Betancourt the year before he signs with a Korean team. It’s perfect.

At 7:53 she was slashing .215/10/39, a line that students of the form know as Lyle Overbay Has Been Designated For Assignment:
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

He had a good Thump piece the other day. I've not seen a better one (well, it closely coincides with my view, but expressed much better.)

I don't go into that neighborhood, so if someone else wants to move the link to another thread.

https://thebaffler.com/latest/the-presi ... llity-roth

https://twitter.com/SwamperHoward/statu ... 8399480832
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Thump".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

yump.

til something I like better comes along

(perhaps Oppenheimer's suggestion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb13ynu3Iac%20)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Aaron Hernandez got his conviction voided by killing himself. That was like the Tuck Rule of murder.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote:
Aaron Hernandez got his conviction voided by killing himself. That was like the Tuck Rule of murder.

That whole piece was pure opiates to my hating soul.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Dying right now:

Brian:

The fans are braying fatass shitheels who fancy themselves BLUE COLLAR EVERYMEN and hang on to an insurmountable inferiority complex despite witnessing one of the greatest sports dynasties that will ever exist, and the defining scandal that this team will be remembered for isn’t something kinda badass like Bountygate, but a years-long legal battle over whether or not Brady knew that Bawbee from Quinzee and Jawnee from Reveeah let some air out of some goddamn footballs.

I personally know people who STILL think we should trade Brady while we can because he’s washed up and Janeane Garofalo will be a better QB in the long run.

Fuck New Hampshire, fuck Vermont, fuck Massachusetts, extra fuck Maine, SUPERFUCK Connecticut, and I couldn’t give less of a shit about Rhode Island if you paid me. Fuck me, too.

Oh, and fuck the Jets.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A different toned deadspin piece, a new book excerpt, by Jason Turbow, that tells the 70s Oakland A's story.

Ken Holtzman, Mike Epstein, Reggie Jackson, teammates on the '72 team, and their response to the Munich Olympics massacre.

Oh, Reggie and Epstein did not get along, another excerpt. The Time Reggie Jackson Got His Ass Whooped In The Clubhouse By A Teammate. I haven't thought about this stuff in decades, it was high drama for a 15yo at the time.

Of course I loved Reggie. (not like Willie Mays love, but a boy's allowed a side piece at that age.) I liked Epstein, particularly because the previous year my dad took me to an A's game, against the Senators. I was expecting/hoping a Frank Howard or Reggie home run or two, but instead Epstein hit home runs in each of his first two at bats. The night before, he had hit two home runs in this last two at bats. 4 in a row; not even Mays had ever done that.

book link: Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic: Reggie, Rollie, Catfish, and Charlie Finley’s Swingin’ A’s
by Jason Turbow

eta: I did remember that was a Vida Blue start, which explains why my dad took me on a school night (at least for him, might've been first week of summer vacation for me, June 16); I looked it up and I had forgotten the Senators starter was Denny McClain. Five home runs surrendered in three innings, 2 by Joe Rudi as well as Epstein's pair and one by Dave Duncan. Hey ho, who got the dough, Denny? Oh, and Epstein after striking out rather than hit #5, was plunked in the following AB by reliever Denny Riddleberger. When men were men.\

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 6160.shtml

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote:
Jawnee from Reveeah

and Janeane Garofalo will be a better QB in the long run.

Heh!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Holy shit with the sponsored posts lately.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"This Super Gamer Jacks Off With His Left Hand While Playing Fight City IV With His Right"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah, it's beyond annoying with their insistence that sports fans should accept "e-Sports" as a valid sport, or even form of entertainment.

It's a bunch of gamer bros wasting their gift of extremely fast twitch reflexes as humanly possible.

Yay.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote:Yeah, it's beyond annoying with their insistence that sports fans should accept "e-Sports" as a valid sport, or even form of entertainment.

It's a bunch of gamer bros wasting their gift of extremely fast twitch reflexes as humanly possible.

Yay.

Jonah Stillman would beg to differ.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

mister d wrote:"This Super Gamer Jacks Off With His Left Hand While Playing Fight City IV With His Right"

Shit, and I never get any credit when I do it with Rimworld.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:Yeah, it's beyond annoying with their insistence that sports fans should accept "e-Sports" as a valid sport, or even form of entertainment.

Yay.

Jonah Stillman would beg to differ.

Oh for FFS. Smart hire, Minnesota ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
mister d wrote:"This Super Gamer Jacks Off With His Left Hand While Playing Fight City IV With His Right"

During what game?

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:

During what game?

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Ryan wrote:Holy shit with the sponsored posts lately.

Deadspin has become a hate read for me. I hate-read it for a time during the Daulerio days before giving up on it; I'm getting close to that point again. The sponsored posts are annoying but understandable. The gaming stuff just doesn't belong there.

But what bothers me the most is the political slant. Well, not so much the slant as the snarky, condescending tone. I was never a big fan of that tone when it was applied to sports and pop culture. Adding politics to the mix is just toxic. I swear, if I keep reading that site, I'm going to turn into one of those people complaining about SJWs and cucks. (I already have, but I don't use those terms. Yet.)
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

bapo! wrote:But what bothers me the most is the political slant. Well, not so much the slant as the snarky, condescending tone. I was never a big fan of that tone when it was applied to sports and pop culture. Adding politics to the mix is just toxic.

This is close to where I am as well. Two-thirds of the stories being "Hey, Look At This Asshole Who Thinks Differently Than Us" is getting old. If it weren't for Magary, I might use a site blocker to prevent me from even hate-reading it.

One more exception: Diana Moskovitz. I didn't like her at first, but her recent investigative reporting stuff is really good.

And their podcast.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Not me. Sorting through the sponsored stuff sucks, but Burneko can attack all he wants and I am there for it.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

» I appreciate the fact that more people are politically aware than they were a few years ago, and that they're willing to use their voices. And I would never make the 'stick to sports' argument for a web site if it wants to delve into politics. If they want their niche audience to become even niche-ier, that's their prerogative. I just don't like the way they do it.

» Yeah, there are exceptions, and there's still quality writing/reporting there sometimes. That's actually frustrating, because I feel like I can't completely abandon it. It's easy to miss the good stuff, tho, because the short blurbs on the front page don't give much info about what's inside. More often than not, clicking on a link is a waste of time. Yet I keep clicking and hoping.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I didn't tell anyone (until now), but I actually emailed Hamilton Nolan as a "military member reacts to Trump's presidency" for one of his posts. He used it in his column. It was a large chunk of an even longer email, but I felt decent about him using it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote:I didn't tell anyone (until now), but I actually emailed Hamilton Nolan as a "military member reacts to Trump's presidency" for one of his posts. He used it in his column. It was a large chunk of an even longer email, but I felt decent about him using it.

That's pretty cool. In the old Dr. Z column in si.com, he printed my emails on two different occasions. I was quite proud!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Link to it? Nolan is great, him and Moskovitz feel a bit wasted or misplaced there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Link to it? Nolan is great, him and Moskovitz feel a bit wasted or misplaced there.

4th one down. I'll dig up the full email and post it when I get the chance.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/some-u ... 1789228136
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Here's the full text. Using the code tab within the spoiler tab because I don't want it in a Google search: (at least that's how I hope it works) Warning: lots of words.

[+] spoiler

Code: Select all

(Please shield my info. Thanks.)

Hello Hamilton,

I'm a daily Deadspin reader and have loved the site ever since Editor Emeritus (if that's still his title) Will Leitch went on Stephen A. Smith's atrocious tv show to introduce himself. He was kind of laughed at for the name of the blog. I wrote off Stephen A. and earned a great deal of respect for Will that day. Deadspin has been my homeboy ever since.

Well, I'm responding to your piece regarding federal employees under the eventual Trump Administration. I'm active duty Air Force and have been in for a long while. My assignments have taken me all over Europe and the Pacific. And I've been deployed to various areas in the Middle East. So I've been around the block and have lived through the last two administrations around various military individuals of all walks of life.

Notice I'm not being specific here. There's a reason for that. Fear. I'm not in some secret squirrel job that might blow my cover. I'm your average enlisted person. So what do I fear? Being found out, by name, on the internet or otherwise as someone who does not like the result of this election. I wasn't exactly rooting for the alternative, but I feel it would have been better. And since what happened is done, I've learned when Republicans are in power, the military tends to cheer - and non republicans within the military need to watch themselves. I'm one of the latter. I'm in the military, but I'm not "in" the military. Nahmean? I'm not "ate up." I still use my brain and can admit when I'm wrong or when someone opposite my ideology has a good idea.

Immediately after Trump became President-Elect, friends of mine on social media went the "Military members who are angry and posting about their distaste for who was elected, fall in line! Donald Trump will be your president. Remember you're not allowed to discuss political issues while active duty" route. I was taken aback by how stern that message was.

And why? Yes, the statement is true. Just look it up. It isn't a Hatch Act thing, but a UCMJ thing. The military is always neutral. Ever catch a shot of the Joint Chiefs of Staff at a State of the Union? They are only allowed to clap when the president walks in and out to show respect to the position. They never clap during the speech. They aren't allowed to. However, *these same exact military members who are playing internet etiquette drill sergeants would openly post negative things about President Obama during his entire two terms.* So now I'm thinking "Am I at the mercy of hypocrites who may rat me out?" That scared the shit out of me.

This cognitive dissonance is so palpable, you could taste it. They could bash Obama for anything and everything, yet one wrong word against Trump and what? Am I being threatened? The passive aggressive stuff is something I can't tolerate as a person in normal life. And now on the internet...ugh. You see where I'm going with this. These people operate in binary land. "Democrat bad, Republican good." And no amount of trying to plead with these people will alter their reality. I've dealt with it my entire career. Speak ill of a Republican openly amongst co-workers and people will start to treat you like shit. Praise a Democrat and immediately get rebuked. The military is still a Republican Christian white man's world. And usually one from a rural, flyover Trumpistan area. 

So, it makes me think that I'll one day get a Stasi-like visit from someone in a position of power because I don't think like them. I'm worried. Is it likely to happen? No, I have a wide array of friends, but...you never know. I'm not leading any revolts anytime soon, but I feel like any show of disagreement in policies with a Trump Administration might get people to question me.

And this worry manifests in other areas. I'm very pro Constitution. How could I not be? It's in my oath of enlistment! The first amendment is the key to our foundation as a country and I cherish the ability for all to have a voice with no government intervention. So when Kaepernick sits or kneels during the National Anthem, I don't get mad. I feel good because I'm doing my job right. (And for fuck's sake, stop apologizing to us. I don't take offense to that. It's your fucking right as an American.) If a flag burns, I don't get mad because it was affirmed and re-affirmed under two separate Supreme Court cases. If people protest (no matter how futile it ultimately is), I'm good with it. Having your voice heard is a good thing.

But Republican, and now Trump supporting, military members don't see it that way. They see opposition. They see complainers. They see a negative entity that needs to be quelled. Despite training and leadership and instances in their own military careers where they have to understand the realities and perspectives, they look at Americans who don't fall in line with their side contemptuously. These attitudes have no place in the military, yet there they are.

Another worry I have is the ripple effect in the areas of gays and lesbians serving openly and the harrowing experience some women face in regards to sexual assault and rape. The latter is a huge deal. I, like everyone else serving, go through mandatory training due to it. How will this change knowing that Donald Trump said and did things that were disgusting and subhuman? Watch the documentary The Invisible War. I nearly threw up. But this is now normal behavior again. If the president, our ultimate boss according to the very same Constitution I care about, can do it and show zero remorse, how does that affect the entire military landscape?

So that's going to be a shitshow. And of note, The military has been very progressive these last few years with helping people and making sure the awareness is there. Oh, and not to mention, the Secretary of the Air Force is a woman and the Secretary of the Army is gay. Whomever Trump selects as Secretary of Defense is going to be extremely important. I hope for a smooth transition, but who knows.

And to further expound on the first amendment, I worry about journalists. The moment I see one of you guys get hushed or arrested or threatened *by the state*, my heart is going to jump through my chest and I'm going to flip my shit. It's your right to write what you like. To quiet that means we're no longer a free nation. And I'll be in an awkward position as someone who supports and defends the Constitution. I won't know how to deal.

In closing, I'm worried. A white supremacist anti Semite was appointed as a senior adviser. That means we that enjoy this country have to be vigilant. Free citizens need to be aware of history. That doesn't bode well for anything. And it makes me think how will I be used for future overseas engagements? Or, shutter to think...homeland engagements.

Excuse my doomsday paranoiathink scenarios, I have to go throw up again.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good stuff, Johnnie.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote:I love Roth.

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status ... 4398393346

That's legit twitter perfection.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Holy shit this week's "Gregg Easterbrook Memorial Haughty Dipshit Of The Week" from the Jamboroo...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:Holy shit this week's "Gregg Easterbrook Memorial Haughty Dipshit Of The Week" from the Jamboroo...

Just another hot take from the liberal media.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't understand how someone who writes so poorly and makes nonsensical arguments can be gainfully employed. Some companies have way too much money if people like that have jobs.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The Herald's the one you write for when you're not good enough for the Globe, right?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yes
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Unless you're Bill Simmons and not good enough for either.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

faux-Rex Ryan wrote:“MEN! Men, I just watched a show with my grandson, BUZZ, called Paw Patrol. Now this show is from Canada, which is a bullshit country. But let me tell you what the show is about. It’s about a small, weak, helpless Canadian town. And when they have a problem, they yelp for help, and these little goddamn dogs come running with fire engines and police cars and all kinds of other machinery that you and I know dogs are really bad at.

“Men… I want you to learn from this shithead cartoon produced by a bunch of snow-humping Canucks. If you gentlemen have a problem out there, I don’t want you yelping for help like some dickless idiot. No, I want you to CRY FOR WAR! Don’t wait for a bunch of cute puppies to come to your rescue! THERE ARE NO PUPPIES WALKING THROUGH THAT DOOR! My friends, it is YOU who are the dog! The dog is a wild, unkempt, savage beast within you! BE THE DOG YOU WERE BORN TO BE! Drool and scratch your balls! Leap up and bare your fangs and sharpen your claws and tear that fucking problem limb from limb! And then we’ll all have bones for lunch! FUCKING DOGS OF WAR ON THREE 1-2-3!”
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Funbag

By the way, not to ruin your day, but we’re right on the cusp of Trump ruining Christmas. He’s already throwing down “We can finally say MERRY CHIRSTMAS again!” takes, and he’s only gonna get worse as we get closer to the real deal. We’re gonna get one of his stupid proclamations and everything. “In order to put the Christ back in Christmas, I shall adorn the White House lawn with a giant cross and then set it aflame so that all might see it burn bright with Christmas cheer.”
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote:The worst short-lived trend that I actively participated in is hands-down the v-neck cardigan with the white turtleneck. 8th grade/1993ish.

There are 10 million things worse than carpenter pants and, and this is still unbelievably breaking news to me, cargo shorts.

Oh fuck

https://twitter.com/thedweck/status/922875515047878656

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This is pretty damn fine work from Magary:

https://deadspin.com/the-reckoning-alwa ... socialflow
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

tennbengal wrote:This is pretty damn fine work from Magary:

https://deadspin.com/the-reckoning-alwa ... socialflow

Yeah, that was very good. I thought his analysis of how internet culture has long been driven by a crude, chauvinistic form of masculinity, geared at young, unsecure white men, was pretty spot on. And with the ascendance of Trump, it's emboldened people like Travis and the Fox Sports crowd to be even worse offenders.