Deadspin

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Deadspin

Post by Johnny Carwash »

sancarlos wrote:
I'm so so glad I never did anything to cause me to go to prison.
Yeah. If the goal of the American prison system is to scare educated people out of doing anything that might cause them to end up in prison, it's working.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

http://deadspin.com/how-jon-jones-becam ... 1676262642

Interesting piece on Jon Jones for the MMA crowd. Should probably crossfile to the "long reads" thread
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Before you watch their Super Bowl ad, NSFW really means NSFW.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

That's barely safe for home.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Update:

Apparently someone in the sound booth at a Nashville Preds game started watching this ad while a mic was on.

https://twitter.com/jrlind/status/560978202471202816
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Kevin Harlan is one of my favorite announcers, and he apparently has a great sense of humor:

http://deadspin.com/kevin-harlan-calls- ... 1682722960
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Go read the email of the week at the end of today's Funbag.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Ryan wrote:Go read the email of the week at the end of today's Funbag.
I literally just finished reading it and clicked over to The Swamp. You knew where it was going, but not to that extent.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Ants? Oh, no, I got it ... OH NO!"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Magary is what Simmons would be today if he still had his fastball and was free from the constraints of a mainstream outlet.

(I still like Simmons more than most here, but he's essentially in the Pedro-Martinez-with-the-Mets phase of his career now.)
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Magary is what Simmons would be today if he still had his fastball and was free from the constraints of a mainstream outlet.

(I still like Simmons more than most here, but he's essentially in the Pedro-Martinez-with-the-Mets phase of his career now.)
Did Pedro say he would pitch next week, then instead make a bunch of videos and ignore that he may need to pitch every once in a while?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did Pedro decide coming up through the minors would be too much work so he went a risky new route made possible only because his family had plenty of money for him to fall back on then eventually become exactly what he used to mock?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

vandwagon wrote:
Ryan wrote:Go read the email of the week at the end of today's Funbag.
I literally just finished reading it and clicked over to The Swamp. You knew where it was going, but not to that extent.
Yeah, holy shit
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Randy Wittman still has a job article was supremely fine basketball writing, including this on the Wizards' coach:

http://deadspin.com/uh-guys-i-think-the ... 1687621585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blaming this collapse on head coach Randy Wittman probably isn't totally fair. A lot of very fluid stuff makes a basketball team successful or not, and plenty of it isn't under the coach's control. But, on a nightly basis, one of the opponents the Wizards compete against—in addition to, y'know, those guys with the other-colored shirts—is the observable and abundantly well-documented fact that offensive efficiency on a basketball court is a thing that exists. That's a battle Wittman has them fighting, on purpose, by design, and on top of their normal work duties. If Wittman is Ahab, reality is his white whale. How talented would the Wizards have to be to kill it?

Depending on your rooting interest, watching the Wizards play offense is either maddening and inexplicable, or hilarious, or both. A perfectly typical Wizards possession begins with John Wall bringing the ball up to the wing on one side of the floor, passing it to another player at the top of the arc, and then fighting his way through a forest of elbows in a long looping run along the baseline, to emerge beyond the arc on the opposite wing and catch a pass leading him away from the basket, whereupon the offense resets. It isn't done with the tempo crucial to making a ball-reversal work, and it doesn't lead into any subsequent action; other than burning off eight or so seconds of shot-clock that could have been spent on an actual effort to warp the defense or create a shot, and making Wall tired, it accomplishes nothing that could not be done simply by having Wall bring the ball up on the opposite side of the floor.

And this isn't even the dumbest way the Wizards routinely and deliberately work against themselves! That honor goes to the set in which Bradley Beal passes the ball to a big along the arc, then darts back and forth across the big's face, trying to shake his defender off so he can receive a handoff ... five feet from where he was standing when he made the initial pass, with both a defender and his teammate crowding him and his momentum stringing him out along the arc instead of carrying him toward the lane. Even in the rare instances in which this inexplicable, Sisyphean act of scripted nowhere-getting does not result in a frantic, fumbled handoff to a young shooting guard whose ballhandling is his most glaring weakness, it gets the Wizards nothing they couldn't get by having Beal just dribble to the wing his damn self and call for a screen. In either case, it wastes time another team might reasonably spend on trying to score some points.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This guy loooooooved O'Reilly's "motherfuckin' iced tea" comments: http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinio ... e_deserved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(God dammit, someone said that in the comments 14 minutes before me. My life is ruined.)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It’s too bad, because Shayanna might well have made some NFL stud a very nice trophy wife.

What the ever-loving fuck is this?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

That's about as brutal (and thorough) a critique of a media member as you will ever seen. One thing that's clear is that many of Whitlock's subordinates must hate working for him, for Deadspin to have gotten the type of detailed info that they did.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote:
That's about as brutal (and thorough) a critique of a media member as you will ever seen. One thing that's clear is that many of Whitlock's subordinates must hate working for him, for Deadspin to have gotten the type of detailed info that they did.
I hadn't even heard of this Undefeated site, but I found that article fascinating.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've listened to this seemingly unembeddable audio a half dozen times and I can't stop laughing.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote:I've listened to this seemingly unembeddable audio a half dozen times and I can't stop laughing.
We had a few competitive (brink of too competitive) guys on a small rec coed team I put together this year. The kind of league where I played first base and took a beer with me, because you know, I couldn't be without access to alcohol for 10 minutes at a time. I now know it could always be worse. Who is friends with that guy leaving the voicemail? I can tolerate wanting to be competitive, but I would have thrown the 60 bucks that guy paid to get in back at him and told him to pound sand.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I hope it's not a work team.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not to mention the obvious: The OF is a lot more fun than the IF. I fought against a reverse move, but with a lot more tact.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:Not to mention the obvious: The OF is a lot more fun than the IF. I fought against a reverse move, but with a lot more tact.
Not for those of us with short attention spans. I usually played shortstop or third base back when I was younger and played city rec league softball. Always had my head in the game. But, on the infrequent times I played outfield, I would daydream, look at girls, watch the game on the adjoining field... then near panic when I heard the bat hit the ball on my field and searched for where it was hit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A softball league without a lot of outfield action sounds like death to begin with
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The key word is "co-ed". I was also thinking back to my days in little league.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:Not to mention the obvious: The OF is a lot more fun than the IF. I fought against a reverse move, but with a lot more tact.

Fuck and no
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

When I first played in a softball rec league, I played with a friend and then a bunch of his girlfriend's co-worker I didn't know. They immediately put me at 3B which I thought was a compliment until I nearly had my head taken off about 82 times.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Giff wrote:When I first played in a softball rec league, I played with a friend and then a bunch of his girlfriend's co-worker I didn't know. They immediately put me at 3B which I thought was a compliment until I nearly had my head taken off about 82 times.
Yea, my g/f has shown some competency for fielding so I let her play 2B once last season. She did OK, outside of a bit of lack of awareness of where to be when the ball was hit, but she came right back in and pulled me aside after watching what happened in the first inning and thanked me for having the brains to not put her at 3B. Can be scary.

Also I agree, especially LF, LCF, and RCF. Easily the most active places in our league.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I just stopped doing it. I ended up playing short LF until they put someone else there.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote:
Giff wrote:When I first played in a softball rec league, I played with a friend and then a bunch of his girlfriend's co-worker I didn't know. They immediately put me at 3B which I thought was a compliment until I nearly had my head taken off about 82 times.
Yea, my g/f has shown some competency for fielding so I let her play 2B once last season. She did OK, outside of a bit of lack of awareness of where to be when the ball was hit, but she came right back in and pulled me aside after watching what happened in the first inning and thanked me for having the brains to not put her at 3B. Can be scary.

Also I agree, especially LF, LCF, and RCF. Easily the most active places in our league.
That's where everyone gets put to begin with. I loved it. I'm like Manny Machado crossed with Brooks Robinson, though.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote:
Fuck and no
By far, the most work in our league was SS, LCF and LF, probably in that order. 3B a terrifying 4th. In the OF, you get to run around catching fly balls. In the IF, you have to worry about a public field bad hop hitting you in the dick. OF >>> IF.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The best position is shortstop because the most fun thing to do is turn a double play. Although, if you have a shitty second baseman, the worst position to play is shortstop.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I turned 20, 18 were of the 6-6-3 variety. Looks the coolest anyway.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

No way. 4-6-3 looks way cooler. Ball to the 2B side of the 4, 4 flips to the non-glove side of the 6, 6 barehands the flip as he gets to the bag and throws to the 3 while jumping over the slide. 6 gets up, wipes the dirt off his arm, gives a low-5 to the 4, walks back to short, notices how horny he just made that little Sasha Grey looking minx on the bench, gives her a wink and a smile, awaits inevitable blowjob.

That's how I rolled anyway.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote:No way. 4-6-3 looks way cooler. Ball to the 2B side of the 4, 4 flips to the non-glove side of the 6, 6 barehands the flip as he gets to the bag and throws to the 3 while jumping over the slide. 6 gets up, wipes the dirt off his arm, gives a low-5 to the 4, walks back to short, notices how horny he just made that little Sasha Grey looking minx on the bench, gives her a wink and a smile, awaits inevitable blowjob.

Which is even more impressive considering it was a Men's church league.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No way. 4-6-3 looks way cooler. Ball to the 2B side of the 4, 4 flips to the non-glove side of the 6, 6 ignores the ball and starts lecturing the lead runner that there is no god and how can he possibly believe that some magical being way up in the clouds actually made ...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:No way. 4-6-3 looks way cooler. Ball to the 2B side of the 4, 4 flips to the non-glove side of the 6, 6 barehands the flip as he gets to the bag and throws to the 3 while jumping over the slide. 6 gets up, wipes the dirt off his arm, gives a low-5 to the 4, walks back to short, notices how horny he just made that little Sasha Grey looking minx on the bench, gives her a wink and a smile, awaits inevitable blowjob.

I don't think you look like Sasha Grey at all.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote:If I turned 20, 18 were of the 6-6-3 variety. Looks the coolest anyway.
I turned a 6-6 once. After the third out was recorded (a soft liner by the next batter that I caught), the first basewoman informed me I should have thrown to first for the triple play.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Close enough thread ... Gawker seems to be taking some minor shit for the Conde Nast story last night but my guess is this one is going to explode. (And should explode, it was a completely unethical shithead thing to do.)