Sage Advice thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Sage Advice thread

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Life isn't a garden, so stop being a hoe.
Popin' ain't easy
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Sage Advice thread

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fried to top pasta that has an oil-garlic based sauce. But be careful, the line between perfectly crispy and burnt is fine.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Spend some time with your new grill figuring out where the hot spots are, before inviting friends over for steaks.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Would you go with sage over rosemary for roasting potatoes?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Rex wrote:Would you go with sage over rosemary for roasting potatoes?
Why wouldn't you use both? Or you can turf the green herbs and use paprika for roasted potatoes.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Fuck rosemary. God forbid a fucking restaurant NOT serve rosemary mash every goddamned night for like the past 8 years.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

so, to make this serious...

inspired somewhat by the college do-over thread. say you really don't like your main job and don't see a future there. (and are actively looking)

you have your second job income that pays the mortgage and savings that would allow you to live well for the foreseeable future without dipping into any funds. do you seriously consider saying "fuck it" and quitting your main job, knowing that you can pick up some side income probably pretty quickly, not to mention be able to get seriously started on a book that you're signing a contract to write?

there's the whole issue of health insurance, of course. but you are single... I know that this probably isn't too realistic of an option, but gah, I'm just getting frustrated. (and I also know that it looks better to be currently employed x2 than part time)

should you slap some reality sense into yourself for thinking such radical thoughts?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:so, to make this serious...

inspired somewhat by the college do-over thread. say you really don't like your main job and don't see a future there. (and are actively looking)

you have your second job income that pays the mortgage and savings that would allow you to live well for the foreseeable future without dipping into any funds. do you seriously consider saying "fuck it" and quitting your main job, knowing that you can pick up some side income probably pretty quickly, not to mention be able to get seriously started on a book that you're signing a contract to write?

there's the whole issue of health insurance, of course. but you are single... I know that this probably isn't too realistic of an option, but gah, I'm just getting frustrated. (and I also know that it looks better to be currently employed x2 than part time)

should you slap some reality sense into yourself for thinking such radical thoughts?
Write the book. Figure the rest out later.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Dude, you're young and single. You aren't going to have the opportunity to take career risks later in life. So yeah, if you're unhappy with how your career is going now, change. Don't wait. Don't just try to stick it out. The earlier you get into something you DO like, the better.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sounds like you're in a better position than about 90% of people your age to do something like this. Go for it. Especially if the flipside of "writing a book" is keeping a job at a gym that I imagine would come back around in a year if you want it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also, I'm with Z. Rosemary is great when perfectly used, but there's a lot more downside than upside.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The book is happening independently of the day job. No matter what my decision is, we're due to complete it by the end of the year.

And unfortunately it's not just a random gym job, it is a "career" type job that (I imagine) looks good on a resume. And I'm not sure how good it looks if I just give it up. I also am afraid of the Murphy's Law principle biting me in the ass and as soon as I leave, something bad happens with the house or something.

But damn, it's so flipping tempting.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But isn't "I was a journalism major and had a chance to take 6 months to focus on writing a book" a pretty good excuse for pausing the other career type thing? And that assumes you eventually need/want to go back.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, this seems like a no-brainer.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

If you have the chance to do something you want to do, I say do it. You never know what the situation will be down the road, or what other opportunities may present themselves, so take the ones you have when you have them.

Also, the extra time off sounds like it would help you focus more on the book, and in theory, write a better book that may lead to more books.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Put a bunch of really small red potatoes in a pan. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle crushed rosemary over top. Roast at high heat.

I defy you to bitch about the resulting side dish.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

"Get your shit together."
To: "xxxx"
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:34:02 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: Brand Strategy Feedback

xxxx:

Thanks for the feedback. I, too, would like to offer some feedback.

Just so I've got this straight...you started in one class, left 15-20 minutes into it (stood up, walked out mid-lecture), went to another class (walked in 20 minutes late), left that class (again, presumably, in the middle of the lecture), and then came to my class. At that point (walking in an hour late) I asked you to come to the next class which "bothered" you.

Correct?

You state that, having not taken my class, it would be impossible to know our policy of not allowing people to walk in an hour late. Most risk analysis offers that in the face of substantial uncertainty, you opt for the more conservative path or hedge your bet (e.g., do not show up an hour late until you know the professor has an explicit policy for tolerating disrespectful behavior, check with the TA before class, etc.). I hope the lottery winner that is your recently crowned Monday evening Professor is teaching Judgement and Decision Making or Critical Thinking.

In addition, your logic effectively means you cannot be held accountable for any code of conduct before taking a class. For the record, we also have no stated policy against bursting into show tunes in the middle of class, urinating on desks or taking that revolutionary hair removal system for a spin. However, xxxx, there is a baseline level of decorum (i.e., manners) that we expect of grown men and women who the admissions department have deemed tomorrow's business leaders.

xxxx, let me be more serious for a moment. I do not know you, will not know you and have no real affinity or animosity for you. You are an anonymous student who is now regretting the send button on his laptop. It's with this context I hope you register pause...REAL pause xxxx and take to heart what I am about to tell you:

xxxx, get your shit together.

Getting a good job, working long hours, keeping your skills relevant, navigating the politics of an organization, finding a live/work balance...these are all really hard, xxxx. In contrast, respecting institutions, having manners, demonstrating a level of humility...these are all (relatively) easy. Get the easy stuff right xxxx. In and of themselves they will not make you successful. However, not possessing them will hold you back and you will not achieve your potential which, by virtue of you being admitted to Stern, you must have in spades. It's not too late xxxx...

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Professor Galloway
mini puke to 1,558
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's awesome. My sister was a professor at Stern for a while. I'm gonna ask her if she knows this guy.
Totally Kafkaesque
Hodor
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Hodor »

Hodor
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote:The book is happening independently of the day job. No matter what my decision is, we're due to complete it by the end of the year.

And unfortunately it's not just a random gym job, it is a "career" type job that (I imagine) looks good on a resume. And I'm not sure how good it looks if I just give it up. I also am afraid of the Murphy's Law principle biting me in the ass and as soon as I leave, something bad happens with the house or something.

So, I'm following through on this Friday. Should be fun.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:The book is happening independently of the day job. No matter what my decision is, we're due to complete it by the end of the year.

So, I'm following through on this Friday. Should be fun.
Good luck.

My advice is to live where you want, do what makes you happy, and take chances. You are young, and you will learn from your mistakes, if there are any.

It doesn't matter if you make millions a year, if you have to stand in a pig sty to do it.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
ZaZ
Jackie Treehorn

Post by ZaZ »

Ask yourself? What would ZaZ do? That'll keep you at your job. Or maybe not. What really matters is the joyous relief you will feel when that shithole disappears in your rearview mirror on your last day. I envy that feeling. Enjoy it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

ZaZ wrote:

Ask yourself? What would ZaZ do? That'll keep you at your job. Or maybe not. What really matters is the joyous relief you will feel when that shithole disappears in your rearview mirror on your last day. I envy that feeling. Enjoy it.
Bronto, what we are saying is, hunker down between two fat thighs and ride the wave. Good luck, glad you made the right decision. You'll have some doubts at some points, I'm sure, but know you are doing the right thing, and you'd always regret not giving it a go.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

ZaZ wrote:Ask yourself? What would ZaZ do?
Ah. What a beautiful thing. TWILTS.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

It's been done, and I haven't felt this content in a long time.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good luck, Bronto. And, welcome back, Zaz!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Thanks. I feel good, and it wasn't a situation that I had any long term future in anyway. Also, my team is shorthanded and my boss would be gone for three months in September on maternity leave. It'd be even worse in two months.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Wild sage really makes your car smell nice.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Today is the first day of the interim life and I think I can say with authority that being nudged every few minutes by dogs wanting to be petted is better than random office requests.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote:Today is the first day of the interim life and I think I can say with authority that being nudged every few minutes by dogs wanting to be petted is better than random office requests.
It would be very hard to find truer words.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The interim life didn't last long. Last week was offered 40 hours a week and voila, I started Monday. Adding college football to the duties. Who knows where this is going to take me, but it's going to be one hell of a ride this fall.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote:The interim life didn't last long. Last week was offered 40 hours a week and voila, I started Monday. Adding college football to the duties. Who knows where this is going to take me, but it's going to be one hell of a ride this fall.
Congrats Bronto. This is back at the Y!? Are they going to send you on the road to any games?

Herb aside: I made a recipe over the weekend that called for coriander seeds, which I guess I never really worked with before. I think I'm in love.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.