Emails and grammar

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

devilfluff
Brandt

Emails and grammar

Post by devilfluff »

Am I the only one who finds himself railing against the fuck-awful way people write emails?

I received the following email from a project manager:
"new Freightliner we have parked in Huber Heights Valley Tire needs a PM. Mileage 21,622..This would be a dry for the first time correct?"

Not a dispatcher, not a mechanic, a FUCKING PROJECT MANAGER! This person probably makes well over 6 figures, but can't write a coherent sentence.

I fucking hate the world.
Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Emails and grammar

Post by Jerloma »

It's the bane of my existence. A day doesn't go by when I'm not reminded that someone who makes way more money than me is incapable of forming a proper sentence.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or, maybe worse, doesn't care enough to.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is an Out of Office that I got from a Communications Person, this morning. Seriously..."OOO."
Hello,

I am OOO on vacation with very limited access to e-mail Wednesday, September 30th through Friday, October 16th. Please reach out to the appropriate contact below in my absence:

xxx xxxxxxx; General Questions and Local Advertising
xxxxxxx xxxxx; Win Local Program, Branch Merchandising and Digital
xxxx xxxxxxxxx; Traders’ Summit

Thank you and have an excellent day!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This is a real "don't get me started..." thread for me.

I teach TV writing in the winter semester and am perpetually shocked by the fact that students use text abbreviations in formal presentations.

But when it comes to emails from friends and associates, what makes me crazy is the lack of proof reading. Auto-correct makes people think that they have written something correctly. It really is a question of professionalism.

And it really is inexcusable. The simplest rule for anyone to remember is to read what is written out loud. If it doesn't sound right, than it isn't right.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

What's the problem with "OOO"? Isn't that a pretty much universal work abbreviation?

At my work we sometimes refer it as "Ozone".
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

These are consecutive emails from an SVP trying to communicate that the standard for outgoing correspondence for our industry-leading company should be something less than the basic rules of grammar and business writing. In the meeting, he heard me use the term "egregious", which I'm guessing he's never actually seen in print before. This is the person dictating how we should write outgoing client-facing correspondence...

My recollection was that we said if it wasn't aggregious we would not coun

Sorry.....hit send early...

I thought we landed on being cautious unless it was an aggretious.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote:And it really is inexcusable. The simplest rule for anyone to remember is to read what is written out loud. If it doesn't sound right, than it isn't right.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

L-Jam3 wrote:What's the problem with "OOO"? Isn't that a pretty much universal work abbreviation
That is an unknown abbreviation at my workplace.

Write it out.

Also, do not poke the bear.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And if I do poke you? Than what?
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

mister d wrote:And if I do poke you? Than what?
I get grumpier. Then, my workmates suffer.

So please, don't. For their sakes...
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

devilfluff wrote:Write it out.
Or just drop it as redundant.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Everyone at my office refers to close of business as "The COB Salad"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think it all comes down to if it is external or internal communication (talking about "OOO" specifically here).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

devilfluff wrote:
mister d wrote:And if I do poke you? Than what?
I get grumpier. Then, my workmates suffer.

So please, don't. For their sakes...
This is now upsetting me.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

devilfluff wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:What's the problem with "OOO"? Isn't that a pretty much universal work abbreviation
That is an unknown abbreviation at my workplace.

Write it out.

Also, do not poke the bear.
OOO was always used at my current company. And then we were bought by Microsoft. Everyone here uses OOF. I guess the F is "facility?"

(BTW, in my experience with project managers, I wouldn't expect them to be the best writers in the world. They are essentially professional naggers.)
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

As a project manager, I'm insulted. Though the part about essentially being a professional nagger is true.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote:As a project manager, I'm insulted. Though the part about essentially being a professional nagger is true.
A good project manager is one of the more underrated employees a company can have. Most, however, suck.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:As a project manager, I'm insulted. Though the part about essentially being a professional nagger is true.
Co-sign.
mister d wrote:A good project manager is one of the more underrated employees a company can have. Most, however, suck.
Co-sign.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

As a sometime-project manager, I see other people on projects as professional not-do-what-the-fuck-they-were-asked-to-do-multiple-times-ers.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

One of my coworkers sent out a lengthy memo detailing some specific things that are helpful to remember when dealing with autistic adults and children. He repeatedly wrote that autistic people are prone to "wonder." It took some context clues to determine that he meant "wander."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Why even put OOO? And why say you are on vacation?

I always say that I will have limited access to emails and such during a specific time period and to contact my co-workers. Same message goes to internal and external users.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

duff wrote:Why even put OOO? And why say you are on vacation?

I always say that I will have limited access to emails and such during a specific time period and to contact my co-workers. Same message goes to internal and external users.
I'd like know that someone was on vacation versus, say, at a conference or a customer site. There are lots of reasons why someone might be OOO (or OOF). Granted, once you say you are on vacation, OOO is redundant.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So they weren't just having an orgasm in the middle of the email?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Once had a guy miss a conference call with a client then email everyone on the call, internal and external, with a note along the lines of "Sorry about missing the call this AM but I was up sick all night (throwing up) and slept through it". More detail isn't always a good thing.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

mister d wrote:"Sorry about missing the call this AM but I was up sick all night (throwing up) and slept through it".
You work with John Bonham?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It appears to me that most commenters on blogs believe that the word "lose" is spelled "loose". As in, "You are a looser." Irony?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:It appears to me that most commenters on blogs believe that the word "lose" is spelled "loose". As in, "You are a looser." Irony?
Well, it's hard to chose between the two.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I find it more than a little frustrating when the emails come home from school administrators/teachers with grammatical and spelling errors.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Who knows German here? Gotta ship a package and the address has a "ß" in it and I know that's gonna trip up the rubes at the post office. Can i use "ss" instead? (Straße is the word of course)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:06 am Who knows German here? Gotta ship a package and the address has a "ß" in it and I know that's gonna trip up the rubes at the post office. Can i use "ss" instead? (Straße is the word of course)
According to the following, Strasse or Road would be fine:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... sh/strasse
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Prost!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:06 am Who knows German here? Gotta ship a package and the address has a "ß" in it and I know that's gonna trip up the rubes at the post office. Can i use "ss" instead? (Straße is the word of course)
The German use of ss is a problem going way back.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:13 pm
The German use of ss is a problem going way back.
Lol
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I just had to plow through about 25 resumes for an open position for my team and... hoo boy... I know it's almost cliche to talk about, but some of these resumes were awful.

Like... Are you trying to upset a bunch of communications and design-savvy people by throwing a poorly formatted Word document at us with multiple typos and run-on bullets?

Just... wtf is wrong with people?

And, no, this isn't about "the youth" not getting it... Most of the worst examples are from candidates that should know better.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:49 pm I just had to plow through about 25 resumes for an open position for my team and... hoo boy... I know it's almost cliche to talk about, but some of these resumes were awful.

Like... Are you trying to upset a bunch of communications and design-savvy people by throwing a poorly formatted Word document at us with multiple typos and run-on bullets?

Just... wtf is wrong with people?

And, no, this isn't about "the youth" not getting it... Most of the worst examples are from candidates that should know better.
Agreed. We just hired a new person and the amount of poorly written cover letters and resumes was ridiculous.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I blame some of it on the need or suggestion to optimize resumes for keyword searches for job sites and employer databases. I had my resume done by a "pro" a few years ago and had to make adjustments myself because it read like it was written by bot playing Mad Libs.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?