Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
I would, but I'm only going Thursday.

Added the CL, I've had many Drakes from my trips to CA, Sixpoint Resin is very tasty. Shmaltz distributes here, I liked the 17th anniversary (IIRC) with the 17 malts and hops.
I was joking, since there was just shy of 700 breweries. Holy fuck, my head would 'asplode. I didn't realize Drakes was a bigger brewery. They are less than a mile from my companies HQ. I get a monthly e-mail for outings there. I get jealous.

I have a bottle of Funky Jewbilation at home. It is a mix of 6 different ales aged between 6 - 16 months in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels, Sazarac and Willet Rye barrels. This could be great or horrible, and reviews run the gamut.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rush2112 wrote:
Sabo wrote:
BSF21 wrote:...ginger gluten free? were they out of literally anything else?
I've been avoiding real beer the last month or so because of some intestinal issues I have. The place I went to had only one GF beer, and that was it. They had some ciders, but I was in the mood for a beer. I wish I'd picked a cider.
I've got a buddy that's a celiac, he says the only "good" gluten free are Tweazenale (sp?) from Dogfish and Green's.
I've had the Green's, and I was not impressed. I thought it was way too watery.

So far the best GF beers I've had are the Omission brews from Widmer. They have a lager, pale ale and IPA. Instead of brewing from GF ingredients, they brew regular beer then add an enzyme that supposedly removes 99.5 percent of the gluten in it. It's much better than the brews made out of sorghum, brown rice or whatever else they use.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Man, for the most part all the smaller places around here that I really like aren't going. Of the ones that are, anything by Kane and Wormtown (MA) Be Hoppy would be the targets.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:
I was joking, since there was just shy of 700 breweries. Holy fuck, my head would 'asplode.[/quote]

Some people do all 5 sessions, plus tap takeovers. I have no idea how. That would be hard at 21. I am a seasoned veteran, but I'm going to be sleeping in a bit before I drive down to ABQ on Friday.

It's amazing how shitty yo get drinking 1-2 oz at a time, but I guess that's basically a pint in a few minutes.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My favorite beerfests are the ones where I don't have a conscience about dumping.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:Man, for the most part all the smaller places around here that I really like aren't going. Of the ones that are, anything by Kane and Wormtown (MA) Be Hoppy would be the targets.
Wormtown had one of the worst beers I have ever had. A mint IPA. Denver Beer has a Kefir Lime Ale that is close. Blech.

It's a shame that so many smaller ones get shut out. I wish that they'd had more quarterly festivals rather than these massive ones. Allows for seasonal beers, more breweries attending etc. but this bad boy is a cash cow.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I refused to try Be Hoppy for a long time because everything I tried from them was either bad or stale but its pretty strong. I think it gets overhyped in terms of approaching any sort of top 10 standing, but worth having if its making its way west.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:My favorite beerfests are the ones where I don't have a conscience about dumping.
Yep. Last year's Garden State was a mudfest due to torrential rain through the beginning of the event. No qualms dumping in mud. The previous year I surreptitiously dumped in garbage cans. You can't waste your booze limit on a bad or even decent beer. 200 beers to try!

With the move from May to September, I am hoping for a vastly different selection. In the past, there were a large number of Summer beers, session ales, lagers and a few fruity crap adjunct beers... I know there is an Octoberfest tent with 12-15 German beers.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote:I refused to try Be Hoppy for a long time because everything I tried from them was either bad or stale but its pretty strong. I think it gets overhyped in terms of approaching any sort of top 10 standing, but worth having if its making its way west.
My fav from last year was a sour from Cambridge (they typically try too hard) that was a blend of beers with the oldest being 12 (?) years old. Was so layered and complex it was indescribable, and utterly amazing.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

The Sybian wrote:Kane out of NJ is top-notch. Their Evening Bell Porter is possibly the best beer I've ever had. It was towards the end of a beer festival, so my
judgment was highly impaired by that point. Their Head High IPA and Overhead DIPA are outstanding. Waiting for them to finally
come out in cans. Currently keg only.
I was there Saturday for their release of Sunday Brunch bottles.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

Rush2112 wrote:This one is still up:

http://www.porchdrinking.com/articles/2 ... s-missing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA:

and what's pouring (supposedly)
Some things I'd be down to try:

The Rare Barrel - Home Sour Home is really good, and almost everything they're pouring looks good.
Allagash - Farm to Face & Coolship Resurgam
Boneyard - Notorious
I am intrigued by Coppertail Brewing...
Dogfish Head - Higher Math & Choc Lobster
Due South - Mexican Standoff
FiftyFifty - Coffee BART
Foothills - Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate
Fremont Brewing is bringing their big hitters, BA Abominable w/ adjuncts & BA Dark Star
Funky Buddha - Morning Wood or No Crusts
Goose Island - Bourbon County VANILLA RYE(this stuff is the tits!)
Lakewood - French Quarter Temptress
You already said Lawson's...
NoDa - Hop, Drop, & Roll
Revolution - Mosaic Hero
Russian River - Beatification
St Arnold is bringing a nice selection
Societe - The Pupil - Excellent, and hard to get outside of San Diego
The Bruery - Grey Monday
Union Craft - Double Duckpin
Wicked Weed has several excellent options(Golden Angel, Black Angel, Freak)

Just some of the places I'd go... You may take or leave my opinion as you see fit.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nice. I've got a sour/High ABV list started, and of course some of these are already on it.Just need names aside from the BIG names. Thanks.

RR is such a shit show. Last year people were waiting 45 minutes (of a 4 hour session!) to get 1 oz pours. It's good, but not that good.

I was north of SD last week, only got to hit up the Bruery, a Pizza Port, and Port/Lost Abbey taproom, tried a number of Modern Times, didn't see any Societe. Hard to hit breweries when you've got a one year old.

Also, I highly recommend that y'all make it out here for one of these sometimes. It really is amazing.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

devilfluff wrote:

http://www.porchdrinking.com/articles/2 ... s-missing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA:

The Rare Barrel - Home Sour Home is really good, and almost everything they're pouring looks good.
Boneyard - Notorious
FiftyFifty - Coffee BART
Fremont Brewing is bringing their big hitters, BA Abominable w/ adjuncts & BA Dark Star
NoDa - Hop, Drop, & Roll
Revolution - Mosaic Hero
The Bruery - Grey Monday

Just some of the places I'd go... You may take or leave my opinion as you see fit.
I've been to Wicked Weed, and I thought it was pretty good, nothing more. I think I sampled 8-10 beers, and they had a few that stood out, but it wasn't earth shattering.

Coppertail is an easy drink. I've heard rumors that the local AB distributors (Pepin family) are the $$ behind this brewery, and it makes sense. They came out of nowhere, opened a gorgeous tasting room, have very pretty, well organized bottle label marketing, and their beers generally go down as smooth as macros. I'm skeptical of them. Basically what I'm saying is that they generally have good stuff, but Mr. D would never drink it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

govmentchedda wrote:
devilfluff wrote:

ETA:

Boneyard - Notorious
FiftyFifty - Coffee BART
NoDa - Hop, Drop, & Roll
Revolution - Mosaic Hero
The Bruery - Grey Monday

I've been to Wicked Weed, and I thought it was pretty good, nothing more. I think I sampled 8-10 beers, and they had a few that stood out, but it wasn't earth shattering.

Coppertail is an easy drink. I've heard rumors that the local AB distributors (Pepin family) are the $$ behind this brewery, and it makes sense. They came out of nowhere, opened a gorgeous tasting room, have very pretty, well organized bottle label marketing, and their beers generally go down as smooth as macros. I'm skeptical of them. Basically what I'm saying is that they generally have good stuff, but Mr. D would never drink it.
Coppertail's head brewer and co-owner was the former brewer at one of my locals, Flying Fish
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Welp. Looks like I might have to buy one of these for the bar

http://www.beercapmaps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:Welp. Looks like I might have to buy one of these for the bar

http://www.beercapmaps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind of cool, but the cap counts on the individual state maps are a little goof balls. California gets 64 cap holes, Utah gets almost twice as many. Plus, they punted on Hawaii.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ummmm... what's going on here?

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Exclusive: U.S. probes allegations AB InBev seeking to curb craft beer distribution
The U.S. Justice Department is probing allegations that Anheuser-Busch InBev is seeking to curb competition in the beer market by buying distributors, making it harder for fast-growing craft brewers to get their products on store shelves, according to three people familiar with the matter.
Antitrust regulators are also reviewing craft brewers' claims that AB InBev pushes some independent distributors to only carry the company's products and end their ties with the craft industry, two of the sources said, noting that the investigation was in its early stages. AB InBev's purchase of several craft beer makers in recent years means that it is in a position to offer a greater variety of products itself.
Who could have seen this coming?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Met up with the esteemed mr. Giff on Tuesday for a couple beers and dinner. Among those we drank:
Alesmith Horny Devil IPA
Boulder Beer Co. Hazed and Infused IPA
Left Hand Haystack Hefeweizen
Devil's Canyon Deadicated IPA (San Carlos brewery!)

Then, yesterday, I flew up to Portland for work and had a couple Lompoc Blonde Coffee ales. Surprisingly good.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:Met up with the esteemed mr. Giff on Tuesday for a couple beers and dinner. Among those we drank:
Alesmith Horny Devil IPA

Then, yesterday, I flew up to Portland for work and had a couple Lompoc Blonde Coffee ales. Surprisingly good.
But was he OK?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Astros definitely wounded him.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He shouldn't be.

(I'm realizing I think I might never have encountered an actual Texas Rangers fan, in person or online. Is that possible? Am I forgetting someone here?)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote:Met up with the esteemed mr. Giff on Tuesday for a couple beers and dinner. Among those we drank:
Alesmith Horny Devil IPA

Does this mean we'll have to keep track if we hang out in a couple weeks?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Alesmith Horny Devil IPA

Does this mean we'll have to keep track if we hang out in a couple weeks?

Untappd!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:

Untappd!
You got me hooked on Untappd. I only log in beers I've never had before, and I often wonder why I bother. It came in handy once when I almost bought a beer, but couldn't remember if I'd tried it before. Untappd told me I didn't like it, so it bought me the opportunity to buy a different beer.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
A_B wrote:

Untappd!
You got me hooked on Untappd. I only log in beers I've never had before, and I often wonder why I bother. It came in handy once when I almost bought a beer, but couldn't remember if I'd tried it before. Untappd told me I didn't like it, so it bought me the opportunity to buy a different beer.
I sometimes log places even if it's a beer I've had before, but I try to only do new ones most of the time.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I use the hell out of Untappd.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

This Stone Enjoy by Halloween is beyond solid.
oh shit...
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Neshaminy Creek The Shape of Hops to Come. Very nice. 5 hops - Simcoe, Topaz, Citra, Apollo and Nitra. Check it out if you get the chance.
oh shit...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

devilfluff wrote:I use the hell out of Untappd.
Agreed. Hadn't seen any for like 6 months and didn't love the last 1 or 2 I'd had but this one is great.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:
devilfluff wrote:I use the hell out of Untappd.
Agreed. Hadn't seen any for like 6 months and didn't love the last 1 or 2 I'd had but this one is great.
Untappd? Do you mean Enjoy By? Just bought one. At worst, they are very solid. One of them I had was great. I saw they brought back the 08.08.08 Vertical. I passed, was this a mistake? Read some reviews, and it didn't sound like something I had to try. Speaking of Stone, Thunderstruck IPA was very underwhelming. Very light flavor and thin. Some people seemed to love it, though.

Had Founder's ReDANKulous. Worth trying, very good and dank, but nothing worth searching for. I saw Backwoods Bastard (Bourbon barrel aged Scotch Ale) hit the shelves before schedule in NY and KY, for some reason. If you see it, MUST buy. Top 5 all-time beer for me.

Excited for wet hop season. Drank a couple Sixpoint Sensi Harvest. Definitely taste the fresh hop difference, but not a great beer. I feel the need to pound them so I can get rid of them, drink fresh, and get some different wet hopped.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Place I was at last night was out of Enjoy By..., had reDANKulous but I "just" got a Head High. Still so so good.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I'm kinda meh on wet hop beers.

Head High is excellent. I'll have to make another trip to the brewery after their next canning run.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was going to see if I could fit in a run this weekend if they weren't out but they are. Seems awesome, 600 cases at $72 per out of their tasting room = $43.2K gross in a weekend. I imagine that'll spur more canning runs.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Re: Vertical Epics, they're really hit or miss. Some have been great, some bad, some meh. Wouldn't buy blind unless the style really appealed to me.

And agree on wet hops. Have always wanted to like the ones I've had more than I did.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:Place I was at last night was out of Enjoy By..., had reDANKulous but I "just" got a Head High. Still so so good.
Head High is much better.

Enjoy By 10/31 is really good. Piney, and the aftertaste feels like you ate pink grapefruit. Feeling the booze after a bomber, and fear I'm going to regret moving on to some rye. Templeton's, really enjoying it. Not sure why rye fell off the radar. It's like bourbon, but better and more complex, with nice spices, and Templeton's has a bit of mintiness going on.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Not sure why rye fell off the radar.

It was/is an eastern drink! It lost out to king bourbon in the Prohibition and aftermath. We have a distillery here that a Maryland style rye that's fantastic. Sadly it's gained a name and hard to find. It'll come back though as theirs a market for it, plus Manhattan's rule.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
rass wrote:Place I was at last night was out of Enjoy By..., had reDANKulous but I "just" got a Head High. Still so so good.

Enjoy By 10/31 is really good. Piney, and the aftertaste feels like you ate pink grapefruit. Feeling the booze after a bomber, and fear I'm going to regret moving on to some rye. Templeton's, really enjoying it. Not sure why rye fell off the radar. It's like bourbon, but better and more complex, with nice spices, and Templeton's has a bit of mintiness going on.
Enjoy Bys have pissed me off as of late. I keep trying them at a crazy premium (18$ per 4 pack here) and they've been pedestrian at best the last 2 or 3 times. Maybe it's just IPA overload, and I love Stone, but it's just not worth the money.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

BSF21 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Enjoy Bys have pissed me off as of late. I keep trying them at a crazy premium (18$ per 4 pack here) and they've been pedestrian at best the last 2 or 3 times. Maybe it's just IPA overload, and I love Stone, but it's just not worth the money.
$18/4 pack is crazy money. I can get 4 packs of world class IPAs in pounder cans for $12.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Backwoods Bastard has hit NJ! Stopped in at Joe Canal's in Woodbridge, and they had 6 unopened cases underneath Breakfast stout 4-packs in the seasonal beer display. I bought all 6 and will be selling them at an enormous markup. A customer walked past me as I was opening a case, and he looked like a cartoon character with his eyes bugging out and jaw hitting the floor. He looked panicked, ran back to empty his basket, repeating "no way" the whole time. I only bought 2 4-packs, but at $11.99, I probably should have bought them all.

Canal's also had a couple of 6ers of Ballast Point Calm Before the Storm. One of the few beers I kept tabs on the NJ release. Every store told me "it should be this week" for many weeks, until I finally gave up. I bought the last single bottle at BuyRite a couple weeks ago, so I was really surprised to see it. It wasn't good enough to warrant a 6 pack, but I found a bunch of single bottles hidden on a bottom shelf, labels all turned towards the wall. I feel like a kid on Christmas, and I mean a Christian kid, not my childhood boredom with a side of Mu Shu pork.
-Pruitt