U-17 World Cup

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

U-17 World Cup

Post by wlu_lax6 »

US Schedule US schedule: Oct. 17 vs. Nigeria, Oct. 20 vs. Croatia, Oct. 23 at Chile

TV : FS2

Players to Watch--Son of Zidane (Goalie for the French), Lee Seung-woo (South Korean who is with Barcelona), Panos Armenakas (Australian who was born in California and has previously played for Greece)

Team USA Roster
Goalkeepers (3): Eric Lopez (LA Galaxy II; Westminster, Calif.), William Pulisic (Richmond United; Mechanicsville, Va.), Kevin Silva (Players Development Academy; Bethlehem, Pa.)

Defenders (8): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls II; Wappinger Falls, N.Y.), Hugo Arellano (LA Galaxy Academy; Norwalk, Calif.), Danny Barbir (West Bromwich Albion; Allentown, Penn.), Tanner Dieterich (Real Salt Lake Academy; Nashville, Tenn.), John Nelson (Internationals; Medina, Ohio), Matthew Olosunde (New York Red Bulls Academy; Trenton, N.J.), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union Academy; Media, Pa.), Alexis Velela (New York Cosmos; San Diego, Calif.)

Midfielders (5): Eric Calvillo (Real So Cal; Palmdale, Calif.), Luca de la Torre (Fulham; San Diego, Calif.), Thomas McCabe (Players Development Academy; South Orange, N.J.), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund; Hershey, Pa.), Alex Zendejas (FC Dallas; El Paso, Tex.)

Forwards (5): Pierre da Silva (Orlando City Academy; Port Chester, N.Y.), Joe Gallardo (Monterrey; San Diego, Calif.), Josh Perez (unattached; La Habra, Calif.), Brandon Vazquez (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Haji Wright (New York Cosmos; Los Angeles, Calif.)
mister d
The Dude

Re: U-17 World Cup

Post by mister d »

Local kid on the US team. How big of a deal is this?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Local kid on the US team. How big of a deal is this?
Not as big as local boys Claudio Reyna (Union) and Jozy Altidore (Livingston).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Didn't even see South Orange, I was referring to Wappingers Falls. Bigger deal in that area.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote:Local kid on the US team. How big of a deal is this?

The U17 team back in... Shit, '99 maybe? Anyways, that team had Landon, Beasley, Bobby Convey, Kyle Beckerman and Onyewu (that's off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing a few other guys that went on to have standout careers.)

The US lost to Australia on PKs in the semis and LD was named player of the tournament. That batch of US players included the nucleus of guys that wound up making a big mark on the 2002 WC team.

But it's also important to note that these guys are so young and undeveloped physically, you really don't know what will happen.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

US lose 2-0 to Nigeria
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

2 late goals v Crotia resulted in a 2-2 tie.
Tonight U.S. lose again after being up 1-0 and are out of the cup