THE ZIPPER PROPOSAL - Or how to start to fix the NCAA.

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

I went public with this Intellectual Property on Mad dog radio this Saturday. Many sports programs direct their players not to use social media during the season. This is obviously a class action lawsuit waiting to happen, one which the NCAA can not win.

You can instruct employees not to make negative comments about the company they work for, but we have been told many times how athletes are not employees. If they were they would get some pay (They can't even work part-time like other students) and most importantly the would be covered under WORKERS COMP.

An individual can, if they choose, sign a waiver regarding their first amendment rights. I propose an annual agreement (that an athlete would have the freedom not to sign) that would pay the athlete a specified amount of money for waving their right to free speech.

In fact this would be offered to all or none of the athletes on each team, thus giving money to non-scholarship players too. This would not make them employees and it clears up that silly little 1st Amendment issue.
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: THE ZIPPER PROPOSAL - Or how to start to fix the NCAA.

Post by Joe K »

edwzipper wrote:THE ZIPPER PROPOSAL - Or how to start to fix the NCAA.

I went public with this Intellectual Property on Mad dog radio this Saturday. Many sports programs direct their players not to use social media during the season. This is obviously a class action lawsuit waiting to happen, one which the NCAA can not win.

You can instruct employees not to make negative comments about the company they work for, but we have been told many times how athletes are not employees. If they were they would get some pay (They can't even work part-time like other students) and most importantly the would be covered under WORKERS COMP.

An individual can, if they choose, sign a waiver regarding their first amendment rights. I propose an annual agreement (that an athlete would have the freedom not to sign) that would pay the athlete a specified amount of money for waving their right to free speech.

In fact this would be offered to all or none of the athletes on each team, thus giving money to non-scholarship players too. This would not make them employees and it clears up that silly little 1st Amendment issue.
Well first of all, the First Amendment is irrelevant to athletes at Notre Dame, Stanford, USC, Duke, or any other private institution, as it only restricts the ability of the government to place restrictions on one's speech. And I'm not so sure that a lawsuit involving athletes from public schools would be the slam-dunk that you think it is. You're right that government speech restrictions aimed at preventing "internal disruption" most often come up in the context of government employees. But I'm not sure if employee status is a requirement. I'd be very surprised if the government can't include a non-disparagement clause in a contract with outside contractors. And more generally, I'm not sure there's any precedent that says that a state school could not restrict the speech rights of students involved in an invite-only extracurricular activity, in return for said members getting to participate in that activity. There are a lot of potential legal challenges to the NCAA, but this seems like one of the weaker ones.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

if social media was an important issue, it'd probably be a part of the lawsuits against the NCAA that are currently in litigation
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

spam is getting more sophisticated.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Wait. That's not really Zipper? I was just going to welcome him back.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote:Wait. That's not really Zipper? I was just going to welcome him back.
I was joking.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Zip, we need you and Bronto and TB to get back on the job of manning the front page of the Frog.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Is restricting Twitter use the same as banning negative comments? Banning all online comments seems different.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

There was a one page article in ESPN the magazine 2 months ago regarding this. It is viewed as a clear violation of freedom of speech.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ok. Fair enough.

So how much do you pay them and do they all get the same amount?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

edwzipper wrote:There was a one page article in ESPN the magazine 2 months ago regarding this. It is viewed as a clear violation of freedom of speech.
It's not though. As I mentioned, the First Amendment is irrelevant to private schools. BYU can kick you out for having sex. Do you really think that being a student-athlete there comes with full First Amendment protections? And I would love to see any legal precedent--apart from ESPN the Magazine--that says that the First Amendment limits Nick Saban's ability to kick someone off his team because he coaches at a state school.
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

I am not a lawyer, but i did go to Hebrew School for a few years. There is not a case with an athlete and social media, but there have been recent precedents set in colleges.

Meanwhile my proposal offers a solution.

Here is how you can give them money and avoid the possibility of a class action suit.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

This thread threw a monkey wrench into my theory that zipper and Joe K were the same guy.

Or maybe it didn't.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

edwzipper wrote:I am not a lawyer, but i did go to Hebrew School for a few years. There is not a case with an athlete and social media, but there have been recent precedents set in colleges.

Here is how you can give them money and avoid the possibility of a class action suit.
I don't think the NCAA is particularly worried about a class action suit about social media. There's a huge difference between saying that a public university can't discipline a student for exercising his free speech rights and saying that a sports team can't do so. The University of Alabama can't expel a student for saying, "Fuck Nick Saban, War Eagle!" But Saban sure as hell can kick a player off his team for saying that.

To me, the best solution to compensate athletes is to eliminate the rule that they cannot profit from their names and likenesses. That way, Leonard Fournette can endorse products and sell autographs, but LSU doesn't have to worry about paying a freshman swimmer who doesn't actually generate any revenue for the university.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

sancarlos wrote:Zip, we need you and Bronto and TB to get back on the job of manning the front page of the Frog.
I've got the keys to a tumblr page that could fill that function.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thesportsfrog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:
edwzipper wrote:I am not a lawyer, but i did go to Hebrew School for a few years. There is not a case with an athlete and social media, but there have been recent precedents set in colleges.

I don't think the NCAA is particularly worried about a class action suit about social media. There's a huge difference between saying that a public university can't discipline a student for exercising his free speech rights and saying that a sports team can't do so. The University of Alabama can't expel a student for saying, "Fuck Nick Saban, War Eagle!" But Saban sure as hell can kick a player off his team for saying that.

To me, the best solution to compensate athletes is to eliminate the rule that they cannot profit from their names and likenesses. That way, Leonard Fournette can endorse products and sell autographs, but LSU doesn't have to worry about paying a freshman swimmer who doesn't actually generate any revenue for the university.
This is what I would wish.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.