Official MLB Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: Official MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Rex »

Tommy Hanson died last night. WTF? He was 29.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just saw that. I know the obvious assumption will be drugs, but it there a virus or something else that could cause sudden "catastrophic organ failure" at 29?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Forgive me for this, but it's one of those situations where you hope the toxicology comes back with enough stuff to kill the Bud Clydesdales.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Eh, I'm pretty sure I read he had a kid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

For a guy with his injury history, it doesn't have to be recreational drugs.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ohhhhhhh ...
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Can't meningitis-ey things do that?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Do rich young white people still die of AIDS?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Hanson had a brother die at the age of 24:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/28 ... s-20130529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Keg wrote:Hanson had a brother die at the age of 24:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/28 ... s-20130529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's insanely tragic. Last week a CMU student was killed in a hit and run by a drunk driver. The story noted his older (and only) brother died in a drunk driving accident over the summer. I can't even imagine were I their parents.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:Just saw that. I know the obvious assumption will be drugs, but it there a virus or something else that could cause sudden "catastrophic organ failure" at 29?
Not to be a downer, but that is just about the same description they used when my brother died. It was drugs.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

But Hanson apparently walked into the hospital, complaining of trouble breathing. 36 hours later, death due to multiple organ failure. That is weird. Found unconscious and taken to the hospital, sure, a dozen scenarios can explain that.

Spent the morning with two other doctors trying to guess what happened here, really starved for information.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:But Hanson apparently walked into the hospital, complaining of trouble breathing. 36 hours later, death due to multiple organ failure. That is weird. Found unconscious and taken to the hospital, sure, a dozen scenarios can explain that.

Spent the morning with two other doctors trying to guess what happened here, really starved for information.
Didn't the reports say that some of his teammates were with him at the hospital? To me, that suggests some advance warning.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I'm sorry I can't remember or find the source, but I had the sense that he was comatose, and his visitors came because he was on death's door.

I also should not have said 'walked into the hospital', because I did not read that. My point is that he was conscious. Going from conscious to dead like that while under medical care, for a 29yo, healthy enough to be a pro athlete, is extremely unusual.

I am really anxious for more info, this is bugging the shit outta me. Lamar Odom (found unconscious after lots of drugs) is how these things usually go. Well, except the surviving part, but them Kardashians are witches.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

From the Sports Director of the ABC local affiliate in Atlanta:
@ZachKleinWSB: We've obtained Tommy Hanson initial incident report
Crime Incident listed as "Overdose"
Official cause will be known in toxicology report
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yankees trade John Ryan Murphy to Minnesota for Aaron Hicks.

Weird as F trade given the current makeup of the Yankees roster with the 30+ OF locked in for next season and Judge on the way in for Beltran for 2017.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Do rich young white people still die of AIDS?

No but they die of MDMA, if this really is multiple organ failure due to drugs.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yeah, I haven't seen any fatal cases of MDMA overdose, I suppose that can get you from conscious and talking (with a little pulmonary edema) to dead in 36 hours, from what I read.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Ok, so Hanson was found unconscious and not breathing when EMS responded; the first report that he was complaining of difficulty breathing wasn't accurate. Much less weird, just as tragic if run-of-the-mill fatal overdose.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tommy-hanso ... ce-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don't know why, and maybe it makes me a bad person, because I'm sure he left family behind who are going to miss him, but I can't work up a lot of sympathy for that type of death, and therefore don't view it as "tragic". Though I suppose "tragic" would be one of those adjectives that demands a point of view, so while I don't, others can.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

What if it were a bourbon overdose, huh???

I don't necessarily agree with you but a lot of people have similar views and it doesn't make you a bad person unless you are also a fan of the Baltimore Ravens, because they are all bad people.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote:I don't know why, and maybe it makes me a bad person, because I'm sure he left family behind who are going to miss him, but I can't work up a lot of sympathy for that type of death, and therefore don't view it as "tragic". Though I suppose "tragic" would be one of those adjectives that demands a point of view, so while I don't, others can.
I guess it depends on how much you see someone with substance abuse problems as a victim. If an inability to resist drugs or alcohol is something that "happens to" someone, then to me, this type of death would be the same as dying in a car accident.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It also pre-supposes that he was an addict and this wasn't a rare dalliance with drugs. (i.e. the Len Bias variable.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Even if it's not tragic in one definition, it's at least extremely sad, when a drug death leaves behind innocent collateral damage, such as children who won't have their father, and close friends and relatives who lose that person unexpectedly, and way too soon.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I'd have more sympathy for the addict than the party kid smoking so much marijuana he overdoses.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I kinda view nearly every unexpected death as tragic in its own way. Like sancarlos said, even if the person is the direct cause of the death, that doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who isn't mourning that death. When I think of this story, I think of how devastated his friends and family must be.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Headline: Breakdancing man dies after hitting head in French nightclub as he attempts backflip
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Colby Rasmus becomes the answer to a trivia question.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:Colby Rasmus becomes the answer to a trivia question.
That damned first round pick compensation for free agent signings smited him! Free agents really aren't free, in most cases like his. I wonder if the Players' Association will address that in the next negotiation.

edited to change smiled to smited.
Last edited by sancarlos on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its an elective franchise tag, more or less. Rasmus is a big winner here, its not like he was going to get $12MM per for 3 years if not for that 1st round pick.

And the Braves ... man ... they're just tearing it all down, huh?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Braves trade asset for Caucasian prospect pitchers, film at 11
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Its an elective franchise tag, more or less. Rasmus is a big winner here, its not like he was going to get $12MM per for 3 years if not for that 1st round pick.

And the Braves ... man ... they're just tearing it all down, huh?
In the most bizarre way the system worked here re: Rasmus. If he tears shit up next year he can get a big FA deal. The Astros get a guy who should be about 1-1.5 WAR probably so it's not like he called their bluff on a horrible decision. Whole thing is just fascinating.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Only thing I figure is trying to build for the opening of the new stadium. By no means a baseball guy but I've seen enough braves to know that maybe you should keep the defensive guy that plays where the balls are hit. Now watch the Sox trade mookie betts. Fav player since Dave Henderson and Sam Horn. Sox should really trade pedroia and move betts back to second and let Jackie Bradley get another season in CF.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Sox trade Betts for now help. And totally agree; they had the makings of an incredible (homegrown) up the middle but they couldn't see past Lil' Dustin.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Wieters accepts QO as well.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I like it. Anderson, Kendrick, Kennedy and probably Iwakuma should have as well. I could probably make an argument for half the guys on the list.

From MLBTR:
Brett Anderson, SP (Dodgers)
Wei-Yin Chen, SP (Orioles)
Chris Davis, 1B (Orioles)
Ian Desmond, SS (Nationals)
Marco Estrada, SP (Blue Jays)
Dexter Fowler, OF (Cubs)
Yovani Gallardo, SP (Rangers)
Alex Gordon, OF (Royals)
Zack Greinke, SP (Dodgers)
Jason Heyward, OF (Cardinals)
Hisashi Iwakuma, SP (Mariners)
Howie Kendrick, 2B (Dodgers)
Ian Kennedy, SP (Padres)
John Lackey, SP (Cardinals)
Daniel Murphy, 2B/3B (Mets)
Colby Rasmus, OF (Astros)
Jeff Samardzija, SP (White Sox)
Justin Upton, OF (Padres)
Matt Wieters, C (Orioles)
Jordan Zimmermann, SP (Nationals)
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Pitchers should value long-term contracts more because their performance is more variable, in particular due to injuries.

Rewards are asymetrical. Taking the bigger annual payday but for only one year, in hopes of next winter landing at least the contract you would have gotten right now, doesn't incorporate this. Further, while it might work out on average, the individual player can't take this as the last word.

The better pitchers on the list will get lucrative long-term deals. They may not average $15MM per year. But anything in that ballpark will be a better way to go that the QO.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sure, you can do what Marco Estrada did and essentially bet against yourself by not taking the QO.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Klaw went in on the Sox even harder than expected. Something like "when dombrowski was hired, this was the trade you dreaded him making". Two of his top 50 overall and two other non non-prospects for a possibly downslope reliever.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Klaw went in on the Sox even harder than expected. Something like "when dombrowski was hired, this was the trade you dreaded him making". Two of his top 50 overall and two other non non-prospects for a possibly downslope reliever.
I was in a sports vacuum last night. Holy shit, what a bad trade.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer