College Football Week 10

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: College Football Week 10

Post by brian »

I was not intending to personally. I've spent a little time in Columbia but mostly in Saint Louis. But here's the thing. Columbia SHOULD be more tolerant than the rest of Missouri. I'll tell you right now for a fact Columbia, SC is way more tolerant than the rest of South Carolina. If that's the standard we're judging by then we're pretty much all fucked. This is supposedly a bastion of tolerance in a conservative state.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Shirley wrote:
Joe K wrote:I'm a lifelong Northeasterner who moved to St. Louis about a year ago. I agree that there is a high level of racial tension in this area -- well beyond anything that I saw in Boston when I lived there. If nothing else, the next Mizzou president will likely be more attuned to that and more conscious of the concerns of African-American students on campus.
St. Louis was very segregated when I was there in college as well. My wife grew up there and literally the only black kids she ever went to public school with were bussed in.

That said, it's probably not fair to color Columbia with the same brush. It's not suburban St. Louis. It's about a 2 hour drive away.
It's not just the segregated nature of St. Louis, although that's certainly a big part of the problem. Boston is also quite segregated. It's that the majority black neighborhoods of St. Louis are so economically underdeveloped, and have such a big problem with violent crime, even compared to other major cities. St. Louis is a smaller city than Boston but has a much higher rate of murder and gun violence (both gross and, especially, per capita). Even though that violence is overwhelmingly concentrated in the handful of most economically depressed neighborhoods, I think the high violent crime rate results in a fear and mistrust of black people among many white people here that is beyond what I've seen anywhere else I've lived. Even though I would expect Columbia to be more tolerant, I would also imagine that many white students at Mizzou grew up in the greater St. Louis area and have been influenced by the particularly tense racial dynamic here.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

For the record, moving out of St. Louis into rural Missouri does not improve this problem...
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote:I was not intending to personally. I've spent a little time in Columbia but mostly in Saint Louis. But here's the thing. Columbia SHOULD be more tolerant than the rest of Missouri. I'll tell you right now for a fact Columbia, SC is way more tolerant than the rest of South Carolina. If that's the standard we're judging by then we're pretty much all fucked. This is supposedly a bastion of tolerance in a conservative state.
Columbia is very tolerant. I don't think there's any evidence that this is a Columbia thing more than a university thing.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:Everything I'm reading on Twitter makes Missouri look like a straight up clown show. And this is the flagship university in the state.
It is obviously a much smaller issue, but the mass communications professor who called for "muscle" to move a journalist videotaping the event should have been fired on the spot by the communications school dean.
She's releasing a statement this afternoon. Would be surprised if it's not a resignation.
Be surprised, it was an apology, including a mention of her personal apology to Tim Tai, who tweeted confirmation.

Missouri Journalism School faculty members are reviewing her courtesy appointment with the school (she is a member of the Department of Communications in the College of Arts and Science).
The guy who bullied Missouri around in the PP thing is calling for Click's resignation.

I was surprised she didn't resign. She apparently resigned her courtesy appointment, however.

I have more to add at some point from my experiences there Monday.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:I have more to add at some point from my experiences there Monday.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Speaking of Mizzou, Pinkel retiring after being diagnosed with lymphoma.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote:Speaking of Mizzou, Pinkel retiring after being diagnosed with lymphoma.
Wasn't he diagnosed early spring? I just find the his cancer as a way of getting out of this situation without looking terrible.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote:
brian wrote:Speaking of Mizzou, Pinkel retiring after being diagnosed with lymphoma.
Wasn't he diagnosed early spring? I just find the his cancer as a way of getting out of this situation without looking terrible.
Possible he thought he could coach while fighting it and discovered it to be too difficult. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, because it's not like he had to worry about being fired after this season pretty much regardless of the troubles on campus or the team's relative poor season.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote:
duff wrote:
Possible he thought he could coach while fighting it and discovered it to be too difficult. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, because it's not like he had to worry about being fired after this season pretty much regardless of the troubles on campus or the team's relative poor season.
Agreed. One of my co-workers is a former Mizzou player (from before Pinkel's time) who follows the team quite closely. Even before the lymphoma diagnosis was announced, he said he had no reason to doubt that Pinkel really was stepping away for health reasons.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A possibility is since the spring he underwent treatment, but recently the treatment was found to have failed, either recurrence or spread of tumor.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

howard wrote:A possibility is since the spring he underwent treatment, but recently the treatment was found to have failed, either recurrence or spread of tumor.
He says he got "good news" in October.

I'll find out more tonight; convenient the game is in KC and I requested credentials a while back.

And I still need to respond to my previous tease. Probably will have a better idea anyway after conversations tonight.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I had seen this quote, and (over?)interpreted it differently:
Pinkel said he had a PET scan Oct. 26, met with his family and decided the next day that this season would be his last.
Of course, I defer to you for all things this story. I think how his illness influenced his actions during this period is a fascinating story, I look forward to hearing him speak to this, after some time has past.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For reference Baylor just got fucked on a personal foul call about as bad as you can be fucked.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote:For reference Baylor just got fucked on a personal foul call about as bad as you can be fucked.
The horsecollar on Mayfield after he threw the pass?

(I ask because I was writing Stanford and worrying about the Mizzou stuff too so I just caught a glimpse of it)
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

So you were distracted by Oregon nearly getting jobbed by flags at Stanford. Too bad Stanford was stymied by not being able to snap the ball from center w/o fumbling twice in the fourth.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

howard wrote:So you were distracted by Oregon nearly getting jobbed by flags at Stanford. Too bad Stanford was stymied by not being able to snap the ball from center w/o fumbling twice in the fourth.
It's always fun when you can say a team fumbled away its chance at something and it's literally true.

That Cajuste play was all kinds of crazy. One hell of a catch despite the fact he was out of bounds, and where the hell was the pass interference?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote:
howard wrote:So you were distracted by Oregon nearly getting jobbed by flags at Stanford. Too bad Stanford was stymied by not being able to snap the ball from center w/o fumbling twice in the fourth.
It's always fun when you can say a team fumbled away its chance at something and it's literally true.

That Cajuste play was all kinds of crazy. One hell of a catch despite the fact he was out of bounds, and where the hell was the pass interference?
In the refs mind is all I can say.

A great finish, but wow, college refs suck dog balls.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Because there's no dedicated Mizzou thread:

The University of Missouri was denied the standard annual funding increase ($27 million for Mizzou) given to all state schools because legislators are pissed.

Why? Mizzou hasn't succumbed to pressure from Republicans to fire the professor who was captured on video during the protests in November not knowing how the first amendment worked AND because legislators feel the board of curators didn't do enough to stop a protest that happened at the BOC meeting last week. A BOC meeting that was at the university, which, you know, is a public institution.

The hypocrisy absolutely infuriates me. Yes, the professor screwed up and I can't condone her actions (she's been on a university-placed leave), but good god, the protesters protested during a break in the BOC meeting and it lasted 10 minutes, according to the St. Louis Post Dispatch. They're covered under the same rights the media is in this case.