What?? Are you drinking?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

What?? Are you drinking?

Post by A_B »

Jamesons.
Last edited by A_B on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Re: What are u drinking?

Post by mister d »

Nugget Nectar. 6 left.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Test Ride the Sybian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Test Ride the Sybian »

Just realized Fairway sells bulk tea leaves in their bulk coffee section. English breakfast tonight. Quite lovely, old chaps.
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

Test Ride the Sybian wrote:Just realized Fairway sells bulk tea leaves in their bulk coffee section. English breakfast tonight. Quite lovely, old chaps.
Just made made second cup of English Breakfast myself. Though mine is just traditional, store bought Twining's.
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

Dreaming Tree Crush from Dave Matthew 's vineyard. Next up, Larceny Bourbon.
Test Ride the Sybian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Test Ride the Sybian »

timgod99X wrote:
Test Ride the Sybian wrote:Just realized Fairway sells bulk tea leaves in their bulk coffee section. English breakfast tonight. Quite lovely, old chaps.
Just made made second cup of English Breakfast myself. Though mine is just traditional, store bought Twining's.
Loose leaf teas, my man. They are still inexpensive, but so much fresher and more flavorful if you can find fresh leaves.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Found an old, unopened bottle of St Germain in the back of the closet (purchased in 2008). Tastes like nectar. Best of all, it feels like I'm drinking for free.
Popin' ain't easy
SlimChristian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by SlimChristian »

Percocets and water. On another note, going on 3 weeks without smoking any weed.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A Hop Henge IPA from Deschutes and then a wee dram of Auchentoshan.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Test Ride the Sybian wrote:Loose leaf teas, my man. They are still inexpensive, but so much fresher and more flavorful if you can find fresh leaves.
Loose tea would fucking anything.

I live on the stuff. Darjeelings are my favorite. And there are so many varieties. Wifey loves the stuff as well. With her it is Scottish and English Breakfast Teas. But, oh man, I love all of it.

And it's frankly not only far superior to packaged tea-in-a-bleached-bag but it works out to be less expensive as well. Often considerably. I could spend all day in a specialty tea shop.

I've a nice Darjeeling Tukvar on the go at this very moment.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

I've gotten into tea the last few years myself. To the point that it has actually replaced anything alcoholic as my drink of choice when I want to relax in the evening. 2008 me would be appalled.
Popin' ain't easy
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

When I was working at UMASS we had a Nepali woman that worked for us. She took a holiday back home and brought all of us in our group gifts. I was jealous of my coworker that got the scarf until I tasted the tea and lighted the incense. I need to write her and see if I can track it down in the states.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Had a few of these on Wednesday night at a hotel bar in Grand Rapids. Very tasty.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
ZMan
Brandt

Re: What?? Are you drinking?

Post by ZMan »

Considering I live 2 towns over, I really should visit the Blue Point Brewery.

It's been Molson Canadians and Guinness for me this week. Looking forward to some cold gin (Bombay Sapphire) and three olives tonight after the gym.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

You should. It's a nice little place and usually have one off or other such things that they don't bottle.

I really like their toasted lager, great lawnmower beer that actually has some taste. Their barleywine (that has some weird name like old fuzzywig or something) is stellar.
ZTest wrote:Considering I live 2 towns over, I really should visit the Blue Point Brewery.
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

1/2 a can of Guinness (the rest went in the stew). Amateur hour here we come!!!
The Burglar
Jackie Treehorn

Post by The Burglar »

temporassy wrote:1/2 a can of Guinness (the rest went in the stew). Amateur hour here we come!!!
Guinness has become my favorite non-micro, so I feel like a cliche this weekend.
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

Dowhatyalikebronto.Woooo.
toonarmy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by toonarmy »

temporassy wrote:Dowhatyalikebronto.Woooo.
your house empty's out quick!
my wallet? yeah right!
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

NJ natives can't handle snow.
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Just had the last Stockyard Oatmeal Stout
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Hop Czar than a dram.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Molson Canadian with dinner

3 olive dirty martini during the Islander game (Bombay Sapphire)

Molson Canadian afterwards while playing TF2
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Why waste Bombay Sapphire with a dirty martini? The olive brine will dominate the flavor of most gins, so you might as well drink cheaper gin in a dirty martini.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Nothing right now but have a few Guinness cans for later on. It's the cliche thing to do today.

Had a bottle of AB12 last night. Very good but I wish I would let it "thaw" a little. Had it in the fridge for last 18 months or so.
oh shit...
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Obas wrote:Why waste Bombay Sapphire with a dirty martini? The olive brine will dominate the flavor of most gins, so you might as well drink cheaper gin in a dirty martini.
I've been putting about as much brine in as vermouth, which is to say about 3/4 of a teaspoon. No domination whatsoever.

eta: You're confusing me with someone who would buy different types of gin for different types of drinks. I buy sapphire because it's a good gin, and I'm buying gin. I'm not perusing the gin aisle for different varieties.
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

Pho definitely works to alleviate a hangover.
toonarmy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by toonarmy »

temporassy wrote:Pho definitely works to alleviate a hangover.
did you make it yourself or pick it up?
my wallet? yeah right!
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by temporassy »

Picked it up in EH for breakfast on my way to get the mutt.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy.

Taste tested Heady Topper, Pliny the Younger and Deviant Dales earlier.

The consensus was HT, DD, Pliny.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

ZTest wrote:
Obas wrote:Why waste Bombay Sapphire with a dirty martini? The olive brine will dominate the flavor of most gins, so you might as well drink cheaper gin in a dirty martini.
I've been putting about as much brine in as vermouth, which is to say about 3/4 of a teaspoon. No domination whatsoever.

eta: You're confusing me with someone who would buy different types of gin for different types of drinks. I buy sapphire because it's a good gin, and I'm buying gin. I'm not perusing the gin aisle for different varieties.
I happen to think that the better gins don't hurt as much the next day as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I must have been feeling adventurous, because I bought two sixers of beer I had never tried before. That's like, the equivalent of radical reconstructive surgery for me.

Anyway, beer #1 was Blue Point Brewery's Toasted Lager. It's ok, but has a bit of a weird aftertaste. I guess that's the toasted part.

Beer #2 is Newcastle Brown Ale, which is fucking delicious. I find it odd they've been picking advert fights with Stella Artois. While they taste sort of similar, I wouldn't consider them interchangeable.

Here's where I'm lost on this whole beer snobbery thing. What the fuck is the difference between a "lager", and an "ale" anyway? Stella calls itself a 'lager', it has a crisp, clean taste. Pretty much what I would call your standard golden beer taste. Brew Points 'lager', however, had that weird, hoppy(?) after taste that I don't like in a beer (and it was brown, but I'm chalking that up to the "toastedness" of it). It's the same shitty aftertaste I have found in most IPA's, yet those are 'ales'. Newcastle Brown Ale, otoh, despite being brown in color, had a taste very similar to a golden lager. Very crisp, very clean, no weird aftertaste. So Newcastles Brown Ale tastes more like Stella Artios's Lager. And Brew Points toasted lager tastes similar to a Pale Ale. Based on this I'm wondering why I would even pay attention to the stupid names, they don't seem to mean anything. (except Stout, but that's self explanatory)

AB_skin_test wrote:I happen to think that the better gins don't hurt as much the next day as well.
I would agree. I think that holds true for all varieties of liquor.

That's why I don't mind buying good stuff, no matter what I'm going to do with it. I don't drink enough variety, or drink enough in general really, to make me consider different grades of the same liquor.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

ZTest wrote:Beer #2 is Newcastle Brown Ale, which is fucking delicious. I find it odd they've been picking advert fights with Stella Artois. While they taste sort of similar, I wouldn't consider them interchangeable.
what?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There's got to be a chart somewhere on the internets that explains the difference between all of the different types of beers. It seems like someone may have posted it in one of the incarnations of the swamp.

I saw the new Newcastle advert this morning, and loved it. They'll probably beat it to death, a la Heineken, Dos Equis, etc., but upon first viewing I liked it. It reminded me how much I like a good Newcastle. It's not a good 6 at a sitting beer though. It always leaves a filmy aftertaste if you're pounding it. Plus, the clear bottles lead to skunkiness if not attended to properly.

There was a nice Mexican place in Gainesville that had it on tap when I was there. That was delicious. Speaking of which, where's phxgators?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

ZTest wrote:Here's where I'm lost on this whole beer snobbery thing. What the fuck is the difference between a "lager", and an "ale" anyway?
Effectively nothing as a drinker of craft beer (you can have hoppy lagers and unhoppy ales), but the process of brewing is different. Lagers are cold fermented and take a lot longer. Ales are better.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

So basically, aside from seeing pictures of flowers or fruit on the label, there's no way to tell if a beer is going to have that shitty taste until I sip it? Great.

And, yes, Mr. Boxcar, the Newcastle Ale, despite being brown, had a very crisp and clean taste. Very similar to the lighter colored ales I have been drinking (Stella Artois and Molson Canadian)
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

besides being wet, i can't think of any similarities between the two.

BRIAN! If you like Newcastle... if you ever see Civil Life American Brown on tap in St Louis, try it, it's great! Everyone else ignore this advice, as nobody else ever goes to St Louis.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

testy boxcar wrote:besides being wet, i can't think of any similarities between the two.

BRIAN! If you like Newcastle... if you ever see Civil Life American Brown on tap in St Louis, try it, it's great! Everyone else ignore this advice, as nobody else ever goes to St Louis.
Not true! I'll be there April 3-5 and would be available to get together on the 4th if you're interested.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

ZTest wrote:So basically, aside from seeing pictures of flowers or fruit on the label, there's no way to tell if a beer is going to have that shitty taste until I sip it? Great.

And, yes, Mr. Boxcar, the Newcastle Ale, despite being brown, had a very crisp and clean taste. Very similar to the lighter colored ales I have been drinking (Stella Artois and Molson Canadian)
Well, if the beer lists the IBU (International Bitter Units), that is usually a good indication of the amount of hops used. The higher the number, the more bitter the beer. Bitterness is generally derived from hops. The only way I can imagine a Newcastle tasting remotely like a Molson Canadian is if it was severely skunked. Canadian is fuck awful, and Newcastle is very highly prone to skunking in my experience. Clear bottles obviously do them in easily, but for some reason on tap, it's hard to find a bar that serves Newscastle that doesn't taste funky. Newcastle was one of the first beers I liked when I started to step up from the usual Milwaukee's Best and LaBatt's Blue and other cheap macro swill, but it was funkified more often than not, and I stopped ordering it. I always wondered if there was a reason for it being more sensitive, or if I was just trying to drink a "better" beer in shitty bars, but drinking really good beers bars that properly cleaned their lines and maintained their kegs.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Newcastle is the grape soda of beers.

Enjoying a Stone Enjoy By 4.20.13 IPA. Very nice.

Prefer it to Pliny.

Taste tested Heady Topper against Deviant Dale's this past weekend. Heady was better but only by a slight margin.