Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by GoodKarma »

Excellent news, despite her current discomfort.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks for the good wishes and thoughts.

She slept right through the night - first time in a while.

If you haven't had your dog vaccinated against leptospirosis, I urge you to do so. These viruses are brutal.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Very, very sad to report that my Georgie girl didn't make it.

The last few weeks were a nightmare - she couldn't eat, constant nausea, a seizure or two, etc. Weight dropped from 22 pounds to 16.

We held out hope to the very end - the younger vet at the place we went to had just read her chart when we called saying that the end had arrived. He said that from everything he read, and seeing how everything progressed, that he thought it was cancer all along. Odd, but the original biopsy was only looking at a few specific cells?

Doesn't matter really. What matters is that my best friend has gone. I had plenty of time to say goodbye, so there's that. But man, I work at home, and that dog was with me pretty much the whole day. No wonder I've been bawling like an 8 year old.

But she went peacefully, it was the first peaceful sleep she's had in 6 weeks or so.

Here's hoping that she's gone to a place where the squirrels are slow, where the water is always cold and fresh and where dog treats are all around.

Sleep well Georgie. Daddy misses you already.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fuck. So sorry man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, Pruitt.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's awful. Really sorry, Pruitt.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Condolences. Sorry man.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kinda hate when this thread gets bumped now. It's either going to be really good news (usually a new family member) or bad news.

Sorry for your loss, Pruitt.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Very sorry, Pruitt.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Sorry for your family's loss.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sad to hear, it sounded like things were starting to look better.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

condolences, pruitt.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sorry for your loss buddy.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks guys.

As too many of you know, it's just a brutal, brutal thing to have to go through.

The only consolation is that I know that we did everything possible to help her get better. And we did everything we could to make her final days and weeks as comfortable as possible.

But man, every time I walk into a room, I expect to see her.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:Thanks guys.

As too many of you know, it's just a brutal, brutal thing to have to go through.

The only consolation is that I know that we did everything possible to help her get better. And we did everything we could to make her final days and weeks as comfortable as possible.

But man, every time I walk into a room, I expect to see her.
I know what you mean. My childhood cat died about 15 years ago, and whenever I'm at my parents house, I can sense his presence. I feel him turning the corner into a room, and sometimes think I see him. I don't believe in supernatural stuff, but when I first said that, both of my parents said they feel it, too. Maybe you just get so attuned with when your pets follow you into a room, you expect it. Or my fucking cat's ghost haunts my parents' house.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I'm sorry to hear about this...my condolences as well.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

gahhhhhh so sorry
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

I'm so very sorry. :(
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

My thoughts, Pruitt.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

God damn. Is it dusty in here?

So sorry, Pruitt.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Man, the day you get a dog, you know that some variation of this situation will eventually occur.

But it doesn't make it any easier. I managed to make it through 10 hours at school yesterday, teaching 3 classes without incident. But man, as soon as I hit the parking lot, it hit like a hammer.

Man, it really is dusty in my office this morning.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This is the vet my dog used to go to, and since I sort of made fun of her in here (more than?) once, I feel like I should mention when she does something pretty great (though this was posted on FB in a local group as something like "now that I have some distance from the case, here is what I have been up to at my clinic..." so it may have in part been driven by self-promotion, but still...).

Given our experience with her, I have no doubt that this:
The receptionist contacted the veterinarian, stating that she thought the puppy was dead. Dr. Karen Negrin, DVM and owner of TLC Pet Doctor, ran to the front room...
happened exactly as described.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:This is the vet my dog used to go to, and since I sort of made fun of her in here (more than?) once, I feel like I should mention when she does something pretty great (though this was posted on FB in a local group as something like "now that I have some distance from the case, here is what I have been up to at my clinic..." so it may have in part been driven by self-promotion, but still...).

Given our experience with her, I have no doubt that this:
The receptionist contacted the veterinarian, stating that she thought the puppy was dead. Dr. Karen Negrin, DVM and owner of TLC Pet Doctor, ran to the front room...
happened exactly as described.
I've got less remorse for people who do things like that do dogs than murderers of their fellow man.

It takes a truly broken and depraved individual to hurt an animal in that fashion. I'm no PETA hawk by any means, but people who do this ought to be tied to a tree in the center of town for a couple weeks and be subjected to what they put the animal through.

Makes me fucking sick.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

that is great he was able to recover, with the care of that vet.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The depravity of a person who would attempt to cause a slow, painful death to a creature that has no idea as to what is happening is truly repulsive.

Man, humans suck.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

bfj wrote:Watch how this dog has been taught to try and occupy this young lady's arms and hands as she has what appears to be a sensory overload moment. Very sweet.

This woman was shot and killed by police yesterday.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fucking hell
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

What??

Do you have a link to what happened?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote:Fucking hell
Apparently, she threatened suicide. The police came to her apartment and she came at them with a knife and they shot her.

The organization that I work for spends a lot of time and effort working with first responders on how to interact with people with developmental disabilities.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/ ... -1.2520902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Here

" Danielle Jacobs was killed by Mesa, Arizona, officers on Thursday after they arrived at her apartment for a suicide call around 11 a.m., her mother Stacia confirmed to the Daily News.

Police told local media that the 24-year-old came at them with a knife and they fired in self-defense."
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sorry, BFJ got it.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

You can add this to my list of huge fears for when my son gets older. Who knows how an officer will interact with him if he is in the middle of a tantrum/meltdown. I'm not placing any blame on the police officers mind you, they have to do their job. But I wonder what (if anything)could've been done to try and diffuse the situation.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote:You can add this to my list of huge fears for when my son gets older. Who knows how an officer will interact with him if he is in the middle of a tantrum/meltdown. I'm not placing any blame is on the police officers mind you they have to do their job. But I wonder what (if anything)could've been done to try and diffuse the situation.
Something other than lethal force.

I understand that a knife is a large threat and you don't have much time to react if someone comes at you with one. I've seen pictures (you can look them up I won't post here) of what can happen when you don't a knife seriously as a weapon.

A taser. OC spray. Asp/Baton. Beanbag rounds.

It's impossible to know what the situation was. Could have opened the door and been on the business end of it and had to make a split second decision, them or you. But my guess is there was probably another way and instead of an escalation of force, someone got jumpy.

This is tough. There are no good answers here. Your fears are justified. We don't train people well enough to handle individuals suffering from mental illness, but even with all the training in the world, when it's you or them, it's them. Every single time.

Just fucking sucks.

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Just to clarify, Autism/Aspergers isn't a mental illness. But I agree with everything you said.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote:Just to clarify, Autism/Aspergers isn't a mental illness. But I agree with everything you said.
Can you clarify? I know we both have family members that suffer from it. Is there a different term I should be using or a reason why it's not "mental illness"?

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ugh......
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I have to feel like a cop should have used pepper spray in this instance. I get that cops need to protect themselves, but this wasn't The Undertaker charging at them with a knife.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:
bfj wrote:You can add this to my list of huge fears for when my son gets older. Who knows how an officer will interact with him if he is in the middle of a tantrum/meltdown. I'm not placing any blame is on the police officers mind you they have to do their job. But I wonder what (if anything)could've been done to try and diffuse the situation.

I understand that a knife is a large threat and you don't have much time to react if someone comes at you with one. I've seen pictures (you can look them up I won't post here) of what can happen when you don't a knife seriously as a weapon.

It's impossible to know what the situation was. Could have opened the door and been on the business end of it and had to make a split second decision, them or you. But my guess is there was probably another way and instead of an escalation of force, someone got jumpy.

This is tough. There are no good answers here. Your fears are justified. We don't train people well enough to handle individuals suffering from mental illness, but even with all the training in the world, when it's you or them, it's them. Every single time.

Just fucking sucks.
When you have a fraction of a second to make a decision, you don't have time to go back to the car and get a beanbag gun. Not that cops even have them on hand outside of a potential riot situation. I don't mean to be callous, and I feel a ton of empathy for this woman and her family, but putting yourself in the cop's shoes, you don't have any time to think. I 100% agree police should have training in dealing with people with developmental disorders and mental illness issues. I imagine dealing with a delusional and paranoid schizophrenic requires a lot of training.

I read a couple articles about a recent police shooting, where a constable serving an eviction notice accidentally shot and killed a 12 year old girl. The girl's father partially opened the door, then closed it and flung it open while aiming a shotgun at the officer. The officer fired a round that went through the guy's arm, hitting his daughter who was standing behind him. I don't know if the officer even knew the girl was there. I was shocked reading comments on left-leaning sites, as most people were blaming the officer, saying he should have walked away, or deescalated the situation by talking to the guy. Really? A door swings open and a shotgun is pulled, and the officer should have turned and walked away or sat down and calmly discussed the situation?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

But if you can visually see that she was not armed with a firearm (which may not be the case) it seems like pulling the taser or pepper spray - which I think are pretty standard on a cop's belt - would be a better course of action.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

Just fucking sucks.
When you have a fraction of a second to make a decision, you don't have time to go back to the car and get a beanbag gun. Not that cops even have them on hand outside of a potential riot situation. I don't mean to be callous, and I feel a ton of empathy for this woman and her family, but putting yourself in the cop's shoes, you don't have any time to think. I 100% agree police should have training in dealing with people with developmental disorders and mental illness issues. I imagine dealing with a delusional and paranoid schizophrenic requires a lot of training.

I read a couple articles about a recent police shooting, where a constable serving an eviction notice accidentally shot and killed a 12 year old girl. The girl's father partially opened the door, then closed it and flung it open while aiming a shotgun at the officer. The officer fired a round that went through the guy's arm, hitting his daughter who was standing behind him. I don't know if the officer even knew the girl was there. I was shocked reading comments on left-leaning sites, as most people were blaming the officer, saying he should have walked away, or deescalated the situation by talking to the guy. Really? A door swings open and a shotgun is pulled, and the officer should have turned and walked away or sat down and calmly discussed the situation?
I understand you don't have time. I thought I made that pretty clear. Also, a beanbag gun was probably not the best of examples. I'm saying that all officers are taught there should be an escalation of force. And every single cop has something less than lethal on their belt.

Again, I worked at a PD for 4 years. I understand. I heard and saw what most of the public doesn't see in situations like this. When it's bang-bang, you have to make a call. It's hard to fault an officer unless you were there and know what happened. Police officers deal with this every day, in big cities and small communities. My point was that unless the door was opened and this woman came barreling towards someone with a knife, there was likely a better way to resolve the situation.

And it still fucking sucks.