Official MLB Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Official MLB Offseason Thread

Post by Brontoburglar »

If the Royals sign Ian Kennedy, this is a very good offseason. Eliminates a free agent option from right field, but the rotation has quantity once again and, assuming they're serious about starting Colon at second base, a lineup that's better than the one pre-trade deadline in 2015.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's stupid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:He's stupid.
If he pitches to his 4.5 FIP of last year, then yes. I think that was an aberration and Kauffman + outfield defense will help that number (as well as his ERA).
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote:
mister d wrote:He's stupid.
If he pitches to his 4.5 FIP of last year, then yes. I think that was an aberration and Kauffman + outfield defense will help that number (as well as his ERA).
Just realized I said fielding would help fielding independent pitching. Oh no.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He just feels like one of those guys who is fine in the NL and a wreck against the longer lineups in the AL.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I can see Lane Adams being a decent 4th-5th OF for the Yankees if necessary.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's not in the majors; Hicks fills the righty backup OF spot. Either AAA depth or its one of those claim-and-waive moves. Or they're making a big trade.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:He's not in the majors.
Hence the "if necessary."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

5-$70MM?

USE THAT TWO-YEAR OPT OUT, IAN
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I mean ... I guess it's good there's an option?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:I mean ... I guess it's good there's an option?
That was my immediate thought. Stay healthy and go get paid in two years by someone else please.

The comforting thing can be that Moore hasn't missed badly on a FA pitcher in his tenure. But you can also argue that he's not going to be perfect and there's bound to be a bust.

I like the Cain contract. But it's also pretty clear that he's not going to be with the team after 2017.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What could he have been asking for on a 6 year deal to make the team not want in?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:What could he have been asking for on a 6 year deal to make the team not want in?
I'd love to know that answer. Maybe it's Cain's health? Had a lot of nagging injuries this year and played 176 games in his first two years combined in KC.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Quit talking baseball and watch the football game!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

At least Cabrera's deal doesn't look so bad now. Thanks, Baltimore!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

J. Upton to the Tigers for just over $22MM per over 6 years is a deal I really like. Especially given their window and the fact they'd already dumped a picked signing Zimmermann.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote:J. Upton to the Tigers for just over $22MM per over 6 years is a deal I really like. Especially given their window and the fact they'd already dumped a picked signing Zimmermann.
Upton also got an option after two years, so he's probably looking to rent.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

two from twitter

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've only had this thought for about 2 minutes now, so there might be a hole I'm not thinking of, but right now, I like it a lot. What if, to get the team a bit more protection, opt-out clauses started containing retainer buybacks or whatever you'd call it. Like Upton has an opt-out after 2 years, the Tigers have a $20MM retainer option to reinstate the rest of the deal. How much fun would that be from the outside waiting to see which guys are retained and which ones make awful opt-out decisions thinking its free money and all that? Eh?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Cespedes leaves a reported $40MM+ on the table to stay in NY. His opt-out has to have a no arbitration clause or else it's just an insane team friendly deal. Is anyway.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

3yrs/$75mil, no-trade, sounds player friendly as well. Sounds like he likes being on the Mets.

ETA: Jonas? should've called it Yoenis.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It's the presumed use of the opt-out I don't get. He'll be in the same situation as this offseason but probably not coming off the same numbers, a year older and now with draft pick comp attached.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Cespedes leaves a reported $40MM+ on the table to stay in NY. His opt-out has to have a no arbitration clause or else it's just an insane team friendly deal. Is anyway.
The Nationals' deal apparently had a ton of deferred money, similar to the Scherzer deal.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Olbermann pointed on the twitter to this Fangraphs article

Yoenis Cespedes and the Mets Big Bet Against Fielding
tl/dr version: Mets are gonna suck at fielding, but you can win despite that.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Tigers tried that. Didn't work.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If any team can take that risk right now it's the Mets. If they keep Lagares, he can basically be a personal CF for Bartolo.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Last edited by rass on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:Royals are one of the worst AL teams to win World Series since 2000

They show their work, too. Good stuff!

h/t
this probably goes in another thread, but Fox is making some digital changes. so interested to see if this is the new "direction" or a one-off "let's see how many clicks we can get for something that took 10 minutes and has a clickbait headline."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I feel like I should be happy with Fister.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Assuming the medicals didn't show cooked spaghetti, absolutely.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice scheduling, Royals. Can't link now, but they've scheduled Epilepsy Awareness night on a night they plan to have fireworks.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote:Nice scheduling, Royals. Can't link now, but they've scheduled Epilepsy Awareness night on a night they plan to have fireworks.
Well, if you're wanting to make people aware of it...
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Even if true goes in the category of "Ugliest dude to fuck Kate Upton."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is this about the rumor of why Dombrowski really got fired?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Let the rest of us in on this cryptic stuff.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Things are a bit touchy on my reds board - this isn't a thread I started, and I don't know that the guy is right - but he's not necessarily wrong either - and some mod locked his thread.

The guy wrote:
The Reds tried and had an agreed deal to trade jay bruce to the Mets for Wheeler. Walt gets cold feet, pulls out, Bruces stock contines to fall, and now they are stuck with him for the time being.

Reds try and trade chapman to redsox, they back out due to to Florida incident.

Reds have a trade set on and agreed with Dodgers to send them Chapman, and the centerpiece return was Peraza. Dodgers also uncover the Florida incident and back out.

Reds trade Todd Frazier and are so enamored with Peraza, they bring the Dodgers in a 3 teamer so they can get the 2b back from LA. Frazier to Chi. The package chi sends to LA is widely viewed as a better package than LA sent us.

Reds agree to trade Phillips twice. Phillips vetos both trades, a clear indication the Reds did not discuss with phillips prior, to get his take/ask on the prospective deal. Stuck with phillips and still owe him around 28 million over the next 2 years.

The Reds, dealing from a position of weakness and fear, deal chapman to NY for a haul of mediocrity. Scared charges would be filed. Two weeks later, announced that no charges will be filed vs chapman.

Now today, the Reds have no place for Peraza to play, but he is MLB ready. So they are either going to have to move him to a new position, or keep him buried in the minors until 2017.

Doesnt seem like they ran very good processes with these moves. But what do I know.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Is the board run by the club? Otherwise, what?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:Is the board run by the club? Otherwise, what?
Yeah - that's part of why I posted it here - to see if I was missing something. The guy has only 16 posts and all have been negative, so maybe a mod thought he was trolling. But, as a thread topic starter, that sure didn't look like it was out of bounds to me at all.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I want the Reds to lose 120 games this year just so I can watch denialists on that board keep trying to spin things as positive.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm guessing it was locked for "speaking as fact" when its presumed no one in the world could possibly ever have inside information.

(Also, I don't think Phillips is indicative of them not discussing beforehand, its them thinking public knowledge of the deal would be enough leverage to get him to agree.)