Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Temporary Television

Post by Jerloma »

[+] spoiler
No...I don't want a trial. I'm all for killing Malvo. But if her principle ever meant a damn thing, she should have arrested Gus. There is no fucking way that she was ever going to be a proponent of vigilante justice. She abandoned the very thing she stood for the entire season...the law. Everything she did up to that point in pursuing Lester went to shit the moment that she congratulated Gus.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I see your point, but I disagree. That is what good art is supposed to elicit, so on to Season 2
[+] spoiler
don't look too hard for a moral center in Season 2
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I'm four episodes in with Fortitude and I dig it too. Man, for a small town, everybody is fucking everybody else, and judging by the Govenor's haircut, I am just assuming a lesbian reveal is coming. (I apologize for potential spoilage, but come on, just look at her hair.)

I scoffed at Nonlinear's comment about the accents, but I had the same trouble. Norwegian, Brit, Russian, American, and frigging Spanish accents was all too much, and I too quickly resorted to the captions, and it helped a lot.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Anyways, it's a British-produced murder-mystery and the acting is amazing. Mostly folks you don't know that have long resumes... and Stanley Tucci.
I'm guessing you've never watched Doctor Who.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Or The Leftovers for that matter.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

howard wrote:I'm four episodes in with Fortitude and I dig it too. Man, for a small town, everybody is fucking everybody else, and judging by the Govenor's haircut, I am just assuming a lesbian reveal is coming. (I apologize for potential spoilage, but come on, just look at her hair.)

I scoffed at Nonlinear's comment about the accents, but I had the same trouble. Norwegian, Brit, Russian, American, and frigging Spanish accents was all too much, and I too quickly resorted to the captions, and it helped a lot.

Like I said, accents don't usually trip me up. I'm usually kind of offended when the nightly news puts captions on foreign people where I find it pretty easy to understand them... This was different, somehow.

That said, we're now 8 episodes in and I realized last night we didn't bother to turn them on... Just took a few episodes to train the ear.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:Anyways, it's a British-produced murder-mystery and the acting is amazing. Mostly folks you don't know that have long resumes... and Stanley Tucci.
I'm guessing you've never watched Doctor Who.

Correct. I'm sure I'd like it, actually, it's just one of those franchises I never picked up and now it seems like there's way too much ground to cover.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Nonlinear FC wrote:Like I said, accents don't usually trip me up. I'm usually kind of offended when the nightly news puts captions on foreign people where I find it pretty easy to understand them... This was different, somehow.
Me too, exactly the same.
That said, we're now 8 episodes in and I realized last night we didn't bother to turn them on... Just took a few episodes to train the ear.
Same, except the Russian guy, but he is mumbling on top of his accent. I just have to rewind some of his lines once or twice.

Two more things I didn't mention. Stanley Tucci is great. And I am glad to see polar bears depicted as the brutal dangerous predators (of man as well as of reindeer and seals) that they are, not big cute furry objects.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh, that's a GREAT call on the polar bear angle. Jesus. They continue to spool that out and provide more details. I'll leave it at that.
[+] spoiler
It's not a big deal, but provides more context as to why the citizens are so freaked out all the time. It comes down to numbers... Something like 3000 polar bears and under 1000 humans on the island.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finished Fargo Season 2. One of the best shows ever, but what the fuck was with the flying saucer? Why? Unless that is the callback to Season 1 people mentioned. I heard the daughter is a character is Season 1, so i am assuming the mother's dream about the future showed the daughter in season 1.

Milligan's final scene was great, but it would have been perfect if Arkin shut the office door behind him. The office looked so much like a prison cell, that had to be intentional, so closing the door would have been perfect. The idea of sticking Milligan in an office job was such a great twist.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:Finished Fargo Season 2. One of the best shows ever, but what the fuck was with the flying saucer? Why? Unless that is the callback to Season 1 people mentioned. I heard the daughter is a character is Season 1, so i am assuming the mother's dream about the future showed the daughter in season 1.

Milligan's final scene was great, but it would have been perfect if Arkin shut the office door behind him. The office looked so much like a prison cell, that had to be intentional, so closing the door would have been perfect. The idea of sticking Milligan in an office job was such a great twist.
Yes. And the older actor was playing Lou and was from season 1, too.

As the UFO thing, that was not a callback to season 1. The explanations I've read are all over my head (the absurdity of the (literal) deus ex machina was somehow a masterstroke as evidenced a bunch of other literary references sprinkled throughout the season that I didn't get either).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Finished Fargo Season 2. One of the best shows ever, but what the fuck was with the flying saucer? Why? Unless that is the callback to Season 1 people mentioned. I heard the daughter is a character is Season 1, so i am assuming the mother's dream about the future showed the daughter in season 1.

Yes. And the older actor was playing Lou and was from season 1, too.

As the UFO thing, that was not a callback to season 1. The explanations I've read are all over my head (the absurdity of the (literal) deus ex machina was somehow a masterstroke as evidenced a bunch of other literary references sprinkled throughout the season that I didn't get either).
So the spaceship distracted Bear right just as he was about to kill Lou? Is that a tongue in cheek literary reference?
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Don't think there are many fans of The Mindy Project here, but that had been a really, really funny show.

It runs on network TV here, but I think it's Hulu in the States. But this season started well, but the last few episodes have been bad. Not just, "new writer" bad, but "not watching again" bad.

Feh!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The UFO was, at least in part, a callback to the Coen brothers film, The Man Who Wasn't There. As are lots of little tidbits nods to various Coen bros. movies.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:The UFO was, at least in part, a callback to the Coen brothers film, The Man Who Wasn't There. As are lots of little tidbits nods to various Coen bros. movies.
Speaking of that, in a season one Fargo scene, second or third episode, Malvo is leaving the Duluth post office and walks past a janitor mopping the floor. As he passes, he says, "You missed a spot." It was definitely a callback to an identical scene in the Coen Brothers' Raising Arizona, where H.I. McDonough says the same thing as he walks past a guy mopping a floor.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Mike Milligan might be my favorite TV character ever.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:Mike Milligan might be my favorite TV character ever.
You should totally give Justified a shot at some point.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:
You should totally give Justified a shot at some point.
I'm actually looking for a new show and set for surgery next week. I'll binge the crap out of that thing. Is he in it? Well...the actor.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh wait...I can't with Westerns.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

It isn't a Western.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Why does the cover of the DVD have a guy in a cowboy hat if they don't want you to think it's a Western?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

My favorite line of the season, during the showdown with Lou in the typewriter shop: "You make us sound like a prog-rock band: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Mike Milligan and the Kitchen Brothers!'"

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote:Why does the cover of the DVD have a guy in a cowboy hat if they don't want you to think it's a Western?
It's just his thing. It mostly takes place in KY, which I guess is more South than West.

IMO, Boyd Crowder (also an anti-hero) > Mike Milligan
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:
My favorite line of the season, during the showdown with Lou in the typewriter shop: "You make us sound like a prog-rock band: 'Ladies and gentlemen, Mike Milligan and the Kitchen Brothers!'"
I'd love to see the surviving Kitchen brother working as the copy assistant or in the typing pool or something.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

If you're looking for a show that's inappropriately hilarious, look for Teachers on TV Land. It's on Directv on-demand and it's three episodes in. My stomach hurt from laughing so hard in the first episode.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote:
rass wrote:Really enjoyed the first couple of episodes of Angie Tribeca (though the first was maybe stronger than the second). But I'm a sucker for the running gag with the dog, so maybe I'm too easy a grader.
I watched about 10 minutes of it, but according to my wife, I laughed way too hard at the front butt joke.
My wife and I have been catching up on Angie Tribeca. If you liked Airplane or Police Squad, you'll love it.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I just finished Mad Dogs from Amazon. It was entertaining. I had not seen the British version it was based, so I had no idea what the premise was. Got a bit long at times, but watched all 10 shows in three days.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Anyone watching the X-Files reboot? I haven't seen the second ep, but the first one was pretty good. Just campy enough to pay homage to the original, but stay above board for being decent television.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

BSF21 wrote:Anyone watching the X-Files reboot? I haven't seen the second ep, but the first one was pretty good. Just campy enough to pay homage to the original, but stay above board for being decent television.
How much do you need to remember about the previous show to enjoy it (especially the huge alien conspiracy subplot/mythology) ?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

That French Guy wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Anyone watching the X-Files reboot? I haven't seen the second ep, but the first one was pretty good. Just campy enough to pay homage to the original, but stay above board for being decent television.
How much do you need to remember about the previous show to enjoy it (especially the huge alien conspiracy subplot/mythology) ?
I've seen very little of the original. I suppose there are some cool Easter eggs but I'm still enjoying it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

BSF21 wrote:
That French Guy wrote:
I've seen very little of the original. I suppose there are some cool Easter eggs but I'm still enjoying it.
Ok, thanks
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm several years late, but I've been blowing through The League. I'm on the last episode of Season 3. I always wondered how it was possible to keep a series running for years based on a fantasy football league, but it works. The banter and devastating personal attacks make me miss my recently defunct league. So much similarity, except when everyone got married and moved to the burbs, the draft was the one day a year most of us saw each other. Watching on Amazon, they periodically ask me to review the show. I was curious to see why anyone would give it 1 star, and the first review said there isn't a single character with any redeeming qualities, people like this don't exist in real life, there is no way these guys would be friends despite their HS friendship... When I get together with a group of HS friends, we fall back into treating each other like that instantly. Nobody knows how to insult you to your core like your HS friends, and damned if it isn't fun to tweak those exposed nerves. But, maybe me and my friends are just assholes.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Not exactly television, but I bet this ends up on the tv. Louis CK did something pretty amazing. He produced (and wrote, directed and starred in) a one hour dramatic show, called Horace and Pete. It is very well produced and shot, TV quality, and harkens to the type of live drama of 50s television. Set in the current time, (complete with references to Cam Newton in the Super Bowl and recent developments in the presidential race) in an old school bar in Brooklyn, run by the seventh generation of two Irish families. One critic tabbed it as "Cheers meets The Iceman Cometh", which nails it.

Starring with Louie are Alan Alda, Steve Buscemi, Jessica Lange and Edie Falco. Featuring fellow comics Steven Wright, Nick DiPalo, Kurt Metzger and Aidy Bryant, a current SNL cast member.

Louie has made it available only on his website, for $5, as he has offered several of his comedy concert shows. He did it with no publicity, other than a brief email announcement to his mailing list. "Hi there. Horace and Pete Episode 1 is available for download. $5. We hope you like it."

So, presumably there will be further episodes, although this piece stands on its own. It is an excellent hour of drama, with some great laugh lines. Hearing Alan Alda curse, a lot, is pretty cool. There are reviews all over the internets, Howard sez check it out.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Not exactly television, but I bet this ends up on the tv. Louis CK did something pretty amazing. He produced (and wrote, directed and starred in) a one hour dramatic show, called Horace and Pete. It is very well produced and shot, TV quality, and harkens to the type of live drama of 50s television. Set in the current time, (complete with references to Cam Newton in the Super Bowl and recent developments in the presidential race) in an old school bar in Brooklyn, run by the seventh generation of two Irish families. One critic tabbed it as "Cheers meets The Iceman Cometh", which nails it.

Starring with Louie are Alan Alda, Steve Buscemi, Jessica Lange and Edie Falco. Featuring fellow comics Steven Wright, Nick DiPalo, Kurt Metzger and Aidy Bryant, a current SNL cast member.

Louie has made it available only on his website, for $5, as he has offered several of his comedy concert shows. He did it with no publicity, other than a brief email announcement to his mailing list. "Hi there. Horace and Pete Episode 1 is available for download. $5. We hope you like it."

So, presumably there will be further episodes, although this piece stands on its own. It is an excellent hour of drama, with some great laugh lines. Hearing Alan Alda curse, a lot, is pretty cool. There are reviews all over the internets, Howard sez check it out.
Fascinating. As the buzzword cliche' goes, this might be disruptive business model. I wonder if CK pays the other actors and crew a salary/wage, taking all the risk and reward himself? Or, if he pays them on a percentage of profit or revenue basis. (I suppose most likely he has financial backers [producers] who handle all that.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pretty fantastic X-Files episode last night.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Better Call Saul is on NEtflix now.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Excited for The People vs OJ Simpson. Universally great reviews from any critic I care to read. Schwimmer! Travolta!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote:Better Call Saul is on NEtflix now.

So happy about this.. I got caught up with life stuff and fell behind and then it rolled off OnDemand.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

rass wrote:Excited for The People vs OJ Simpson.
Hell yess. The only way that whole episode could've been more fun is if there was a sportsfrog in 1994. This walk down memory lane is gonna be fun. Before Kardashian was a dirty word.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Louie CK wrote a few thoughts on his website about his new show, Horace and Pete.
https://louisck.net/news/about-horace-and-pete" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyway, I’m leaving the first episode at 5 dollars. I'm lowering the next episode to 2 dollars and the rest will be 3 dollars after that. I hope you feel that’s fair. If you don’t, please tell everyone in the world.

Meanwhile, we’re going to keep making Horace and Pete. We’re going to keep telling you the story.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy it. I’ll write you again later and tell you more about it. It’s fun to talk about. But for now I want to shut up and not ruin the experience of you just watching the show.

Enjoy episode 2 of Horace and Pete. We’re shooting it now. You’ll get it on Saturday morning (February 6th).

This person,

Louis C.K.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…