Return of Confessions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: Return of Confessions

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote:Maybe its just my familiarity but what is the other way you would pronounce Quincy?
Yeah, it's the see vs. zee that is strange to non-natives. I would be shocked if anyone who hasn't lived in Eastern Massachusetts can correctly pronounce Peabody and Billerica.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Haverhill still gets my vote for the ultimate shibboleth (HAY-vrul).
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Everything else named for that Quincy family should technically be pronounced that way too. KWINZEE MAHHHKET, KID.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ask someone in Massachusetts how they pronounce the town of Wooster, Ohio.

It's probably something like "war-CHEST-ter"
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Worcester is the dumbest one, but its so common by now it gets overlooked.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah, thats the one I will acknowledge as odd. WAR Cester makes more sense. Peebddy or Billrica seem perfectly normal.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Speaking of irrational--I don't know if it's the particular people they get, or just the inherent nature of the thing, but I want to punch everyone in these "People Try to Pronounce Unusual Names" videos. I can't even watch all the way through, I have to keep skipping forward.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote:Yeah, thats the one I will acknowledge as odd. WAR Cester makes more sense. Peebddy or Billrica seem perfectly normal.
God, I totally forgot about that feeling I got hearing someone say "Pee-biddy". Infuriating.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You'd think it would be second nature by now - that movie Mr. Peebidy and Shman was everywhere

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote:We had our 20-year reunion a couple weekends ago so people have been plastering Facebook with old pictures. Someone posted our 8th grade class picture and I'm wearing a fucking Michael Bolton shirt. I did get two fingers inside my girlfriend the night of the concert, so maybe I was just wearing it for those memories?
Dear diary, the Bolton concert was ok but I was seriously weirded out when Giff stuck his fingers in my nostrils.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Speaking of irrational--I don't know if it's the particular people they get, or just the inherent nature of the thing, but I want to punch everyone in these "People Try to Pronounce Unusual Names" videos. I can't even watch all the way through, I have to keep skipping forward.
Perhaps it's that people who try too hard to be funny, such as those in these videos, are inherently unfunny.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Speaking of irrational--I don't know if it's the particular people they get, or just the inherent nature of the thing, but I want to punch everyone in these "People Try to Pronounce Unusual Names" videos. I can't even watch all the way through, I have to keep skipping forward.
Perhaps it's that people who try too hard to be funny, such as those in these videos, are inherently unfunny.
Yeah. Also, they all talk with that dumb lazy Valley Girl-esque inflection, coupled with the "Why would anyone ever do anything differently than me?" attitude.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm over being thanked for my service. I get it, I volunteered to do a job like 3% of people will ever do. But it's a job. If anything has reminded me that I'm replaceable and pointless it's Congress not giving a fuck and the services themselves forcing people out in all sorts of ways possible while simultaneously telling us that we're doing a phenomenal job and that "selfless service" is a desirable trait. Big Brother likes to speak out of both sides of its mouth.

It's all bullshit and I fucking hate it. Not to mention that when you blanket love all military members the cunts of society that have volunteered get praise where they don't deserve it. I have spent over 14 years in and let me tell you, some of the worst humans I've ever met were in the military.

Bill Burr kind of hits it on the head because he's a smart dude:

So I know you folks actually give a shit and truly mean it when you do thank me. But tomorrow when there's this massive slobbery throatjob for service members don't forget that it's to distract you from everything else going on in the world.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote:I'm over being thanked for my service. I get it, I volunteered to do a job like 3% of people will ever do. But it's a job. If anything has reminded me that I'm replaceable and pointless it's Congress not giving a fuck and the services themselves forcing people out in all sorts of ways possible while simultaneously telling us that we're doing a phenomenal job and that "selfless service" is a desirable trait. Big Brother likes to speak out of both sides of its mouth.

It's all bullshit and I fucking hate it. Not to mention that when you blanket love all military members the cunts of society that have volunteered get praise where they don't deserve it. I have spent over 14 years in and let me tell you, some of the worst humans I've ever met were in the military.

Bill Burr kind of hits it on the head because he's a smart dude:

So I know you folks actually give a shit and truly mean it when you do thank me. But tomorrow when there's this massive slobbery throatjob for service members don't forget that it's to distract you from everything else going on in the world.
Shit, is it too late to cancel the Veterans Day flowers I ordered for you?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Are they poppies? Poppies are cool.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yeah, we should've kept it Decoration Day. Between the crosses; row on row.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Why the fuck are they thanking you John? It's VETERAN'S DAY, not fucking active service day. Asshole.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112 wrote:Why the fuck are they thanking you John? It's VETERAN'S DAY, not fucking active service day. Asshole.
Because guilt. Because of the halo effect.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Are they poppies? Poppies are cool.
90% of all Canadians (exaggerating a bit) wear poppies for Remembrance day.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:Why the fuck are they thanking you John? It's VETERAN'S DAY, not fucking active service day. Asshole.
I thought Veteran's Day was a day for Veterans to celebrate getting that they got the fuck out of the military.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm thankful that this hasn't been me:

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wow
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Pipe down, Johnny. You're in the Air Force, the IT department of the US Armed Forces. The other three branches are doing the heavy lifting, the Air Force is just providing tech support without getting their hands dirty.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I hate Sofia Vergara.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My favorite Christmas song is "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:I hate Sofia Vergara.
Agree that she's now been frightfully overexposed (and not in the way I'd like).

But "hate" is a bit strong...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd rather listen to those emphysema commercials than her talk.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:I'd rather listen to those emphysema commercials than her talk.
Just turn down the sound and look at her lungs then.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I genuinely cannot stand Springsteen's music. And now that he is back on tour, double-dreading the cult of Springsteen that will ooze into seemingly every sportswriters/sports commentators pieces. So bad.

Fwiw, I didn't know his music really, before Born in the USA which is a fucking awful song. And the line from Born to Run "strap your hands across my engines" is just the worst. And Pink Cadillac is so fucking awful.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sure, but can't you do that with any artist and a played out popular song or a bad line or two? If you really want to understand Springsteen, [writes 9,000 words on an uncommon favorite album, bootleg cassettes from 30 years ago, some deep cuts and this one time I heard a song live that he NEVER plays live].
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Springsteen for me is in the "meh" category - neither love nor hate the music. Better than the Eagles, but nothing I would choose to listen to.

But he's got some sort of connection to the Jews (at least the Jews of Toronto) whereby just about all of the local sons and daughters of Abraham hold him up as the holy of holies.

And I did go along with some friends in grade 10 or so to see him at Maple Leaf Gardens and it was a really good concert. But as I said elsewhere, he is merely an oldies act at this point - Cheap Trick with a sax player.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

From persona to music and all aspects in between, I hate everything about Kanye.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:From persona to music and all aspects in between, I hate everything about Kanye.
Completely co-sign.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Thirded
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I don't hate, but I could not be more indifferent to the man.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

At a minimum, I think "dislike" is an easy choice.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kanye is definitely a bit of a cultural blindspot for me. I know who he is, and who is he married to and some of the shit he has done, but could probably name only one song for sure (though I wouldn't at all be surprised if there more I recognize without knowing it's him), and I don't really remember how/when he became the biggest goddamn thing.

Also, fishsticks.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's what would happen if Slick Rick toned down his act, had access to a computer and sucked.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote:Kanye is definitely a bit of a cultural blindspot for me. I know who he is, and who is he married to and some of the shit he has done, but could probably name only one song for sure (though I wouldn't at all be surprised if there more I recognize without knowing it's him), and I don't really remember how/when he became the biggest goddamn thing.
I like some of Kanye's music (as much as a 51 year old white guy can, I guess) but his public persona is pretty reprehensible. Being part of the Kardashian circus show makes it even worse.